Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ian Anderson and the Beatles

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 13:25
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

I understood that the Beatles affected the industry itself, not just the music.  

My point is that the industry would have adapted anyway, maybe differently and maybe not as fast, but it was coming no matter what.  With that in mind, and with Decca's core goal in mind, it seems to make sense that there was a new and innovative album planned, whether or not the Beatles were around or not.  

Yes, in 1964, record companies were tripping over each other to sign British Invasion acts in order to get a second hand piece of Beatlemania.  But recall that up through 1964, the Beatles hadn't yet demonstrated the innovation they would later become famous for.  They were still writing overwhelmingly simple boy meets girl tunes--they just did it with a sound and attitude, and those ear-pleasing vocal harmonies that really caught on.  The Dave Clark Five, etc, were not putting out safe three chord ditties just like the Beatles up to that point. As of 1964, the Who were far more ground breaking, so any willingness to sign them went well beyond just trying to lump them into the British Invasion.  The willingness of record companies to take a chance predates the Beatles musically taking a chance.  

I agree, the Beatles helped shape pop music in the 60s.  Are thanks in order?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  We don't know how things would have gone if groups/record companies hadn't been chasing the Beatles.  It may have evolved differently, but who's to say it would have been worse?  No way of knowing.  

It's not the real Beatle clone groups (DC5, Hermans Hermits, Monkees, etc) that make us wow about the golden age of rock music.  It's the Moodies, Hendrix, etc.  I gotta' think those artists would have still been making some awesome music even without the Beatle influence (musically or industrially).  

i don't deny they had influence.  I am skeptical of the notion that music couldn't have grown dramatically even without that influence.  The explosion was coming no matter what.  The Beatles just did a better job of riding that tide than anyone else.  
Yes, they rode the tide well. After setting the tidal wave in motion.
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 13:31
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I understood that the Beatles affected the industry itself, not just the music.  

My point is that the industry would have adapted anyway, maybe differently and maybe not as fast, but it was coming no matter what.  With that in mind, and with Decca's core goal in mind, it seems to make sense that there was a new and innovative album planned, whether or not the Beatles were around or not.  

Yes, in 1964, record companies were tripping over each other to sign British Invasion acts in order to get a second hand piece of Beatlemania.  But recall that up through 1964, the Beatles hadn't yet demonstrated the innovation they would later become famous for.  They were still writing overwhelmingly simple boy meets girl tunes--they just did it with a sound and attitude, and those ear-pleasing vocal harmonies that really caught on.  The Dave Clark Five, etc, were not putting out safe three chord ditties just like the Beatles up to that point. As of 1964, the Who were far more ground breaking, so any willingness to sign them went well beyond just trying to lump them into the British Invasion.  The willingness of record companies to take a chance predates the Beatles musically taking a chance.  

I agree, the Beatles helped shape pop music in the 60s.  Are thanks in order?  Maybe.  Maybe not.  We don't know how things would have gone if groups/record companies hadn't been chasing the Beatles.  It may have evolved differently, but who's to say it would have been worse?  No way of knowing.  

It's not the real Beatle clone groups (DC5, Hermans Hermits, Monkees, etc) that make us wow about the golden age of rock music.  It's the Moodies, Hendrix, etc.  I gotta' think those artists would have still been making some awesome music even without the Beatle influence (musically or industrially).  

i don't deny they had influence.  I am skeptical of the notion that music couldn't have grown dramatically even without that influence.  The explosion was coming no matter what.  The Beatles just did a better job of riding that tide than anyone else.  
Yes, they rode the tide well. After setting the tidal wave in motion.

Which still doesn't mean it wouldn't have happened anyway.  It was coming no matter what.  Had they not been there, someone else would have been the catalyst and the standard bearer.  And the bottom line is the creative minds would have created.  That's what creative minds do.  

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 13:37
I'm tired of this would of, could of and should of. Historically, the Beatles are responsible. No one else and that's the bottom line. All else is conjecture. 

Edited by SteveG - August 27 2018 at 14:45
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 13:39

I tired of this would of, could of and should of. Historically, the Beatles are responsible. No one else and that's the bottom line. All else is conjecture. 

The were definitely a big part.  But responsible?  Certainly not solely responsible.  Exactly to what degree is indeed conjecture.  
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 13:42

I tired of this would of, could of and should of. Historically, the Beatles are responsible. No one else and that's the bottom line. All else is conjecture. 

The were definitely a big part.  But responsible?  Certainly not solely responsible.  Exactly to what degree is indeed conjecture.  
I'll settle for a big part. I never said that they had an effect on surf music. Did I?
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote silverpot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 13:59
I very much agree with Steve here and I think Fischman, that you're actually using the crucial word yourself; Beatlemania.
Yep, that's what set many a ball in motion. There was no Who-mania or Dave Clake Five-mania. There was only Beatlemania, and that was huge.

Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 21:27
About Days of Future Passed, it wasn't a full Orchestra collaboration... actually, as far as I remember the album, most of the band parts didn't have orchestra, and most of the orchestra parts didn't include the band. And DECCA didn't push for that album (though their idea wasn't all that riskless anyway)... they wanted New World Symphony performed by a rock band... I think they wanted a show for the stereo technology or something... The Moodies decided they wanted to do their own music instead, and so they recorded something completley different... the DECCA guys only found out until the presentation of the album.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 27 2018 at 22:07

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

^Sgt was released 1st of June 1967. Days was recorded 9 May - 3 November 1967. Are you really thinking they didnīt hear anything of Sgt within those months they recorded Days? Also, Days has really much Beatles style pop in itīs songs, although itīs concept album.

There just arenīt great rock/pop band from the sixties that wasnīt at least unconsciusly influenced By Beatles.

Right. They started recording Days before Pepper was released. That album is such a new musical vision, and so wonderfully coherent that they couldn't have totally changed gears midstream. Whatever Beatle influence was on Days was already present before Pepper, and harkens back to an earlier Beatle sound (i.e. Peak Hour). But the whole concept album thing, as well as full integration with a symphony orchestra, were firsts and were approached independent of any Beatle influence. It's exaggeration to say Days couldn't have happened without Pepper or even without the Beatles in general. Parts of it might have sounded slightly different, but it would would have happened, and the things that make it unique would have been much the same.
So much discussion about this that I am only saying Beatles was one the first ones using symphony orchestra with Pop band (a Day In Life). I can understand there are people who donīt like Beatles, but I canīt understand why they canīt approve the importance of Beatles to the whole popular music? I think without them the mainsteam record companies would have released artists like Pat Boone.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 02:30
Have to say something about that picture Beatles was at first just nice band making innocent "boy meets girls"-songs. I think it just shows how those who are thinking that way really doesnīt know the history. Before the Beatles pop music was going into very non-rebellious direction (you know even Elvis was doing ballads, many rock stars like Eddie Cochran & Buddy Holly had died, Chuck Berry & Little Richard really werenīt on the top that time). Beatles was genius mix of acceptable & outrageous. They behavior was really cheeky, but same time very intelligent and that time many pop stars really didnīt behave that way. Although they have nice pop tunes like Love Me Do and Please Please Me, they also do some quite sexy songs like a cover version of Twist & Shout. Songs like Please Please Me, Thereīs a Place & From Me To You are little, but still genius pop masterpieces IMO. Yes, Stones & the Who made much dirtier music than the Beatles, but would they never have a record deal without the Beatles? You have to remember even George Martin had doubts about the Beatles and Decca said no to them.

Also one thing that proglisteners really donīt want to approve is that I donīt believe prog would have become popular at all without Beatles. Beatles was to first to made a concept album that really become a standard in prog, also first to introduce such a cover (gatefold, also lyrics in it), you remember what kind of cover Days of Future has (no gatefold no lyrics). Also I believe when Yes put those very Beatles-style vocals in their prog, it really helped them to become popular (they also made Beatles cover in their first album).
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 03:02
edit

Yes, Stones & the Who made much dirtier music than the Beatles, but would they never have a record deal without the Beatles? You have to remember even George Martin had doubts about the Beatles and Decca said no to them.

This was crucial. The Beatles established the idea that there was a market (Brian Epstein's idea). I think the audition recording might still be on u tube somewhere so it (my conjecture) is both no surprise they were turned down  - the recordings were square big jazzy pop and nothing like the country rock first album. And secondly had the Beatles been accepted on the strength of that first audition who knows how badly rock might have gone. The Decca decision was unsurprising and I was amazed the guy got through 40 mines of this.

Revised, fixed...

It was probably easier to accept the Stones as they were one of many bands playing an already established form of music.

Also one thing that proglisteners really donīt want to approve is that I donīt believe prog would have become popular at all without Beatles. Beatles was to first to made a concept album that really become a standard in prog, also first to introduce such a cover (gatefold, also lyrics in it), you remember what kind of cover Days of Future has (no gatefold no lyrics). Also I believe when Yes put those very Beatles-style vocals in their prog, it really helped them to become popular (they also made Beatles cover in their first album).
[/QUOTE]

I think it would have been popular without the Beatles but - possible? The question of market was opened up and the impact of the Beatles as a social cultural phenomenon opened up a world of ambitious rock music. Prog rock had no teen idol quotient which gave the biz real headaches when they wanted to do their marketing.

Curiously the industry still behaved like everything was a fad and tried to max out every cent on every band, controlling everything like the industry knows what's best when it was the bands, the musicians, that made the business. Actually I'm thinking of how Geffen and John Kalodner "guided" Asia instead of letting these guys do what they do best - probably the last music to have been part of the knock on effect of 1967 era rock.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 04:05
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

About Days of Future Passed, it wasn't a full Orchestra collaboration... actually, as far as I remember the album, most of the band parts didn't have orchestra, and most of the orchestra parts didn't include the band. And DECCA didn't push for that album (though their idea wasn't all that riskless anyway)... they wanted New World Symphony performed by a rock band... I think they wanted a show for the stereo technology or something... The Moodies decided they wanted to do their own music instead, and so they recorded something completley different... the DECCA guys only found out until the presentation of the album.
That's pretty much what I said. No one's disputing a full orchestra or just partial. But the interlinking orchestral parts were scored and conducted by Peter Knight. There was never a real orchestra named the London Festival Orchestra, as far as I know. It was just a Decca "house orchestra" used to accompany various Decca artists on record when needed.

Edited by SteveG - August 28 2018 at 04:09
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarryGlibb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 04:39
Getting back to the original forum post i.e. Ian Anderson.... Beatles vs Stones.

I find it odd that ANderson preferred The Rolling Stones compared to The Beatles. Tull to me were innovators/experimenters just like the Beatles; the Stones IMHO were a rock band who weren't that lateral in there music complexity to any great degree and only a few songs really gelled with me (Satisfaction, Paint It Black, Ruby Tuesday, Gimme Shelter, Jumping Jack Flash and a few others). Tull are/were very melodious in the vast majority of their songs; again similar to the Beatles in many ways.

So The Beatles were my band as a kid growing up in the 60s and this progressed to a true devotion to Jethro Tull in 70s. Both of these bands, to me, went hand in hand.   Stones and then Tull?......nah.

BTW: Another first not mentioned in a previous post was The Beatles were apparently the first rock band to record feedback on a song...that being the intro bit to I Feel Fine (1964).

Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 04:58

I'm tired of this would of, could of and should of. Historically, the Beatles are responsible. No one else and that's the bottom line. All else is conjecture. 

I've never been a fan of the argument, "well, if they (whoever 'they' are) weren't around, someone else would have come along and done it anyway". I've seen it often used to demean and dismiss the impact of whatever entity the person using that argument wishes to dismiss. It's an irrelevant what if scenario and ultimately pointless because that's not what really happened. The Beatles were there. The impact was there. The influence was there. That's fact.

Can we discuss and debate the extent of that influence? Yes, we can but we can't dismiss it. 

Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 05:12
Hereīs a sentence from Moody Blues wiki-sites from the making of Days Of Future Passed:
The album drew inspiration in production and arrangement from the pioneering use of the classical instrumentation by the Beatles, to whom Pinder had introduced the mellotron that year.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 06:47
^Yes, as The.Crimson.King pointed out in his list of firsts, the Beatles were the first to use classical instruments in the song "Yesterday" and that is a direct link between the Beatles and Moody's that I always thought was coincidental, but so be it. As BarryGlibb pointed out, perhaps we've been off topic for too long and should return to it.

As brilliant as I think Ian Anderson is, he is a bit of bugger (his words not mine) and probably just didn't like Ringo's nose. Or whatever! LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 06:55
^Well, I quess there really were musicians also in the sixties that didnīt like the Beatles. But I believe even those couldnīt avoid the influences, so much Beatles was all over (at least the western) world!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 09:27

^Well, I quess there really were musicians also in the sixties that didnīt like the Beatles. But I believe even those couldnīt avoid the influences, so much Beatles was all over (at least the western) world!
Agree 100%. Like it or not, even the artists that didn't appreciate the Beatles were part of the zeitgeist!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 17:11

Yes. It's rather like when Jimi Hendrix bassist Billy Cox said something to the effect, "There's guitarists that admit they were influenced by Hendrix and then there are liars."
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2018 at 19:23
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Yes. It's rather like when Jimi Hendrix bassist Billy Cox said something to the effect, "There's guitarists that admit they were influenced by Hendrix and then there are liars."

Handshake
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2018 at 08:32
Hi,

I kinda think that the Beatles did for rock music, what the Jazz did for American music in the 50's and 60's.

It brought it to the mainstream.

The part that is missing, and probably should be mentioned, was how the Beatles, Kinks, Rolling Stones and others even GOT to the mainstream, which was Pirate Radio in that part of the world. 

Remember that even the Beatles, and Rolling Stones, are considered two of the worst BUSINESS DECISIONS ever made, even with folks at the BBC trashing it.

All in all, they all helped usher in the new era of the arts, and an era that should be remembered as the most valuable and important in the 20th century for its incredible array of diversity and explosion of creativity and development of instruments.

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>