Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog Band you tried to get in to , but can't.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 00:18
Man, is this thread cathartic or what?? 

Myself, I don't get into Rush nearly as much as others on PA seem to.  I followed the band from day one, every band in high school seemed to cover "Working Man!"  I saw them on a tiny college stage when "Fly by Night" was released, which was fun!  

I do enjoy the odd Rush song when it pops up on classic rock radio, but I don't sit down with their CDs and study them the way that I do with Yes, King Crimson, and Genesis.  

Neil Peart is a fine drummer, but I'm more into Bruford, Pierre Moerlen and others.

Edited by cstack3 - October 18 2019 at 00:19
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nogbad_The_Bad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 05:20
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Henry Cow, I've tried but feels like work to try to like it. Some of it didn't even really sound musical to me. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, I think. I love Gentle Giant, starting to love Van der Graaf Generator, been listening to a lot of King Crimson this past week, love Spock's Beard, LOVE Frank Zappa. But Henry Cow idk, I'll try again at some point though.  

Start with Leg End, it's easily the most accessible, don't go anywhere near Western Culture until you're 'getting' the others.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 07:13
Not a band, and only prog-related, but I'm going to go ahead and lose my cool points by saying that after the Ziggy Stardust album, I can't get through a David Bowie album. I like a few songs here and there post-Ziggy: "We are the Dead" is haunting, "Heroes" is pretty epic and "Modern Love" is fun and catchy. but foor the most part, I'm like one of those old classic rock fans when it comes to Bowie. 
I should like the Berlin trilogy at least, cause they're revered by the shades-wearing hip crowd, as well as others, including his last, but I just can't, not even Diamond Dogs. I'm so lame I guess!

Edited by Prog Sothoth - October 18 2019 at 07:14
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 08:26
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

Not a band, and only prog-related, but I'm going to go ahead and lose my cool points by saying that after the Ziggy Stardust album, I can't get through a David Bowie album. I like a few songs here and there post-Ziggy: "We are the Dead" is haunting, "Heroes" is pretty epic and "Modern Love" is fun and catchy. but foor the most part, I'm like one of those old classic rock fans when it comes to Bowie. 
I should like the Berlin trilogy at least, cause they're revered by the shades-wearing hip crowd, as well as others, including his last, but I just can't, not even Diamond Dogs. I'm so lame I guess!

I have this issue with Low... and actually with Ziggy Stardust. Shocked Love some of his post-Ziggy stuff though.
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 12:45

GENESIS.....but I like some of their solo stuff like i.e. Smallcreep's Day and some PG.
Dream Theater is another I can't get into even if Images and Words is a good album.

I had this problem with Tangerine Dream for many years then I became a fan, time will tell...

Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 13:14
Lots of talk about Dream Theater....as a practicing musician who's seen them in concert, I'd like to say that DT seems to be into fast, long solos for their own sake.  Amazing technicians, but really, you could cut down on the blazing guitar solos and put some heart & soul into it! 

Technically, John Petrucci is one of the "best" guitarists I've ever seen (spoiler alert = I know RF), and his technique and skills are amazing!  I especially enjoy when DT covers other bands like King Crimson.  

However, I just don't listen to them much.  The keyboards are also quite over-done and overwhelming IMHO.  Wish I could play like that!
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 14:48
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Lots of talk about Dream Theater....as a practicing musician who's seen them in concert, I'd like to say that DT seems to be into fast, long solos for their own sake.  Amazing technicians, but really, you could cut down on the blazing guitar solos and put some heart & soul into it!

That's why I prefer the first album to the rest! The chops are there but the emphasis is on songs.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 18:34
Originally posted by Nogbad_The_Bad Nogbad_The_Bad wrote:

Henry Cow, I've tried but feels like work to try to like it. Some of it didn't even really sound musical to me. I'm pretty open minded when it comes to music, I think. I love Gentle Giant, starting to love Van der Graaf Generator, been listening to a lot of King Crimson this past week, love Spock's Beard, LOVE Frank Zappa. But Henry Cow idk, I'll try again at some point though.  

Start with Leg End, it's easily the most accessible, don't go anywhere near Western Culture until you're 'getting' the others.

Ok thank you. You(like Logan and a few others) seem to know your stuff. Btw Univers Zero is good. I like them! Hopefully now with your suggestion(starting with Leg End and going forward from there) I can finally solve this Henry Cow puzzle and be on my way to being a legit progger. Thank you again.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 23:37
^ So this evening I listened to Unrest and In Praise Of Learning(couldn't find Leg End), and... I actually kind of liked them. Sounded a little Zappaish, and a little like Art Zoyd but weirder.. but honestly not bad. I'm nervous about trying this 'Western Culture' now but maybe I'll tackle that one tomorrow. Finger's crossed lol.
I prophesy disaster View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote I prophesy disaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2019 at 23:51

Ok thank you. You(like Logan and a few others) seem to know your stuff. Btw Univers Zero is good. I like them! Hopefully now with your suggestion(starting with Leg End and going forward from there) I can finally solve this Henry Cow puzzle and be on my way to being a legit progger. Thank you again.

Or you can listen to The Entire Works of Henry Cow from the CD version of Fred Frith - Speechless. Tongue

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 00:46
So this is very interesting. Is this really about bands that 'I respect but just can't get into' rather than just any bands? There is a difference. It's not about taste although there is a fine dividing line admittedly.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 00:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Originally posted by Kempokid Kempokid wrote:

Honestly Yes, they're enjoyable enough, but rarely end up wowing me in any particular way, I find them to be quite bland a lot of the time, yet I find myself often enjoying a lot of bands or songs that are clearly heavily Yes influenced. 

I much prefer King Crimson influenced bands than King Crimson themselves.

I quite commonly prefer The Beatles influenced bands than The Beatles themselves (that's lot of bands to choose from).

I like Yes best when it sort of meets King Crimson.

I'm not big on Yes. I loved Fragile as a teenager, and I still like it but rarely return to it, and I enjoy Time and a Word as well as The Yes album. For an album, I've probably given Close to the Edge more "tries" than any other album I never got into. I like the title-track, but even that not altogether.

One certainly needn't enjoy Yes to enjoy this forum.

I can't get into King Crimson's "Lizard" album at all, or most of their other albums, apart from the first two. Confused
wiz_d_kidd View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wiz_d_kidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 09:14
I hear a lot of praise about the following bands, and I think I must be missing something (FOMO), so I go check 'em out and end up wondering what all the gushing was about...

Big Big Train
Bent Knee
Marillion
IQ
Genesis
VdGG

There are many more.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 10:51
In general...I don't care for any of the metal genres...tech metal, exp metal, or even prog metal.
As some have mentioned I find VDGG difficult, mostly due to the vocals....the music is well done prog .
Also find Mike Oldfield boring, most of the time....though there are some bits here and there that are ok.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 16:58
man more than i can count I suppose.. I guess the big one will always be prog Genesis. The years they spent f**king around before finally doing what they were really good at and where their talents really were.. good pop music.   

Oh I like some songs..even love a select few...but fail to see the point of their prog diefication... in which they ever did anything remotely great or groundbreaking like those mentioned in the same breath as them did do... for their albums were to me, at least till they finally ditched prog, a real patchwork of the utterly brilliant and completely forgettable and sleep inducing. Take Epping Forest for example and put all of its 10 minute death march on any other groups albums and that would have been an automatic star to 2 star deduction for lacking teh good sense to leave that stinker on the cutting room room. 
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 19:12
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Or you can listen to The Entire Works of Henry Cow from the CD version of Fred Frith - Speechless. Tongue

Not sure I'm ready for their Entire Works just yet lol. Appreciate the suggestion though. :)
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2019 at 19:14

^ So this evening I listened to Unrest and In Praise Of Learning(couldn't find Leg End), and... I actually kind of liked them. Sounded a little Zappaish, and a little like Art Zoyd but weirder.. but honestly not bad. I'm nervous about trying this 'Western Culture' now but maybe I'll tackle that one tomorrow. Finger's crossed lol.

Ok so I listened to Western Culture. Wasn't terrible but I didn't like it as much as the two last night. Was really good in spots, but too much fooling around. Idk I guess I wasn't ready yet or something. 

Edit: I just listened to the album all the way through again. I definitely liked it better this time. Still not one of my favorite albums but I would honestly say that I like it. I'm becoming a fan of this band.. who would have ever thought that. 

Edited by YESESIS - October 19 2019 at 20:33
aerosolgrey View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerosolgrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 15:01
"Brave" excepted, Post Fish Marillion bores me to tears. May as well be two different bands. Linear, shapeless, atmospheric blandness. I recognize something of value must be there but I don't hear it. Hogarth's voice has a quiver that is discomforting to me, a strain as if each word begins stuck in his throat and must be dislodged. I imagine the great albums that could have been had the original band stayed intact. Fish made better post band music. But I think rarely have two creative forces needed each other more than Fish and Marillion. 

YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 15:53
^ Try Marbles. It's really good, I would be surprised if you didn't like it.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2019 at 23:55
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

man more than i can count I suppose.. I guess the big one will always be prog Genesis. The years they spent f**king around before finally doing what they were really good at and where their talents really were.. good pop music.   

Oh I like some songs..even love a select few...but fail to see the point of their prog diefication... in which they ever did anything remotely great or groundbreaking like those mentioned in the same breath as them did do... for their albums were to me, at least till they finally ditched prog, a real patchwork of the utterly brilliant and completely forgettable and sleep inducing. Take Epping Forest for example and put all of its 10 minute death march on any other groups albums and that would have been an automatic star to 2 star deduction for lacking teh good sense to leave that stinker on the cutting room room. 

I don't agree with your general comment because otherwise it doesn't make sense that so many bands are influenced by them.

However on Epping Forest though I totally agree. It does suggest that people take them way too seriously . At least ELP had the good sense to make Benny the Bouncer only 2 minutes long.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 15>