Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mostly Autumn: The New Pink Floyd?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 08:26
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I agree mosh. Neo prog is more of an indicator of an era than of a requisite set of sound characteristics. But as I stated many, many times before, assigning a genre or sub genre (any genre or sub genre) is done more in the interests of convenience than accuracy.

Hi,

I'm OK with "neo-prog" as a term ... the only thing that might bother me, is that it looks like some folks don't consider it as good a piece of music as the "original" prog.

In situations like this my preferences is to find a way not to use the term ... and still consider the band.

Comparisons between "today's" bands, and "yesterday's" bands is a kind of dead end for me ... the electronics used now, cheat so much and change the music so much that it prevents you and I from making an honest opinion about the music ... remember both The Edge and Andy Summers have shown how the electronics in their guitar makes it sound nice to your ear, whereas when the electronics are taken out it sounds awful.

Stuff like this makes the "older" material not sound as "good" or as "modern" as things can be these days ... and I tend to not do comparisons on these things ... even blues on blues in clubs is not the same as it was 50 years ago ... the "raw" quality (no effects of any kind except a cheesy one or so), is gone and replaced by something that sounds better for our ears these days ... and I think that it takes away from the real blues ... and reminds me of a special on Jack White (VH-1 special) where he wants to play just like the old record sounded, which he admitted might make it sound not as good as people hear things today.

MA is a fine, fine band ... and really deserves better. And PA could do a smidge better ... but I'm not sure when so many of the bigger folks here, also participate to defend their favorite group!

I'm guessing that we need to dump "favorite" and start paying attention to more music in order to help bands like MA a bit more!

Yes, neo prog does have some negative connotations and is seen by some as copycat prog or watered down prog, etc. But these bands were only celebrating the prog that they loved and was forsaken. Many times by the original prog artists themselves who went more commercial. Talk about unrequited love!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
rushfan4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rushfan4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 12:12
Paul, if you are looking for the new Pink Floyd, check out Airbag's A Day at the Beach.  Bjorn Riis' guitars are very Gilmour-esque.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 04 2020 at 12:15
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

Paul, if you are looking for the new Pink Floyd, check out Airbag's A Day at the Beach.  Bjorn Riis' guitars are very Gilmour-esque.
Thanks for the recommendation. I like Gilmour-esque guitar playing. Thumbs Up

I'd describe Bryan Josh of Mostly Autumn as being Gilmour-esque too, although not everyone would. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2020 at 10:48
"Find the Sun" from the album "Heart Full of Sky" (2006)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 05 2020 at 10:48
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 10:13
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'd describe Bryan Josh of Mostly Autumn as being Gilmour-esque too, although not everyone would. Wink
Well, it's pretty universal that Josh is a Gilmour clone and that's why some would rather MA be classified as neo prog instead of prog folk. Now who could those people be?
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 11:30
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Well, it's pretty universal that Josh is a Gilmour clone and that's why some would rather MA be classified as neo prog instead of prog folk. Now who could those people be?

You cannot please everyone...LOL
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 11:37
I never try.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 12:06
I haven't come across any prog fans so far who don't like Mostly Autumn. After all, what is there not to like when you have Heather Findlay on vocals and Bryan Josh on guitar and vocals!? Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 12:25
Two songs from the album "Glass Shadows" (2008)

"Above the Blue" 

"A Different Sky"

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 06 2020 at 12:25
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 12:43

I haven't come across any prog fans so far who don't like Mostly Autumn. After all, what is there not to like when you have Heather Findlay on vocals and Bryan Josh on guitar and vocals!? Smile

Well, I think most of those who don't like MA won't post in what seems to be a fan thread. But I am one of those not liking Mostly Autumn. I have listened again to them because of this thread and it just confirms what I always thought: unoriginal spineless music. Not convinced by the singing either.
But, as long as they have fun and there are fans that like their music, why not. It's just not for me.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 13:04
^ You're mostly not a fan then. Thanks for your honesty. Smile

How do you feel about the music of Pink Floyd who Mostly Autumn are mostly compared with?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 13:06
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

Well, I think most of those who don't like MA won't post in what seems to be a fan thread. But I am one of those not liking Mostly Autumn. I have listened again to them because of this thread and it just confirms what I always thought: unoriginal spineless music. Not convinced by the singing either.
But, as long as they have fun and there are fans that like their music, why not. It's just not for me.
This is the most trolling back handed compliment that I've ever seen on PA. Bravo. What can you do for an encore? You don't post much on PA. Please try to keep it that way.

Edited by SteveG - August 06 2020 at 13:10
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 13:43

How do you feel about the music of Pink Floyd who Mostly Autumn are mostly compared with?

I Like Pink Floyd very much. Have all of their studio albums and have seen them live a couple of times. But, clearly, this does not automatically mean that one then also likes Mostly Autumn.
As they say here: "Comparaison n'est pas raison."

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 14:03
^^ I, Steve, on the other hand, haven't a problem with Kees' post and have appreciated his contributions to this forum. The lack of civility is not coming from him as I see it. We can express our opinions about music, just not make personal attacks. And of course Paul raise the issue, and so I see no problem in responding to it (nor did Paul respond negatively).

By the way, I was thinking of doing a Mostly Autumn vs. Bo Hansson Lord of the Rings albums poll. I was listening to some of that Mostly Autumn album earlier and noting how Floydian much of the music was, but it doesn;t seem to draw on the period of Floyd that I most like (the 60s to 1970 period). Seeing Paul's post earlier, I was tempted to describe Mostly Autumn as Mostly Harmless (a Douglas Adams reference).

Edited by Logan - August 06 2020 at 14:04
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2020 at 14:44
Originally posted by suitkees suitkees wrote:

I Like Pink Floyd very much. Have all of their studio albums and have seen them live a couple of times. But, clearly, this does not automatically mean that one then also likes Mostly Autumn.
As they say here: "Comparaison n'est pas raison."
In that case, even if you're mostly not a fan of Mostly Autumn's music, you might enjoy their Pink Floyd Revisited DVD, mostly. Smile
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 06:33
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^^ I, Steve, on the other hand, haven't a problem with Kees' post and have appreciated his contributions to this forum. The lack of civility is not coming from him as I see it. We can express our opinions about music, just not make personal attacks. And of course Paul raise the issue, and so I see no problem in responding to it (nor did Paul respond negatively).

By the way, I was thinking of doing a Mostly Autumn vs. Bo Hansson Lord of the Rings albums poll. I was listening to some of that Mostly Autumn album earlier and noting how Floydian much of the music was, but it doesn;t seem to draw on the period of Floyd that I most like (the 60s to 1970 period). Seeing Paul's post earlier, I was tempted to describe Mostly Autumn as Mostly Harmless (a Douglas Adams reference).
Well Greg, I couldn't disagree with you more and I'm afraid that this is where PA and I part company. It was a nice run and I enjoyed myself.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 06:56
That was my perspective, and I'm representing my perspective based on what I see and have seen and my particular psyche. I also think opinions should be subject to change based on new evidence or arguments. Seems odd to me to leave because you have a different perspective, but I can't expect us to think the same on that either. Funny that I should be the one to re-instate you after becoming an admin and play a part in you leaving again. If you have a concern, I suggest PMing admin (Keishiro and Tapfret), and if you see what you think is abuse, of course feel free to report it. But yeah, if you are not happy here, then it's probably not the place to be. I know I've felt the need to leave at times. Forum discussion can add more stress and negativity to one's life in my experience, and we all need to try to preserve our well-being as best we can. I genuinely wish you well, and may the road rise up to meet your wheels wherever those would take you.

Edited by Logan - August 07 2020 at 06:58
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2020 at 07:23
^ When I left ProgArchives for an entire month recently, I realised this place is like the Hotel California: you can check out any time you like, but you can never leave. Smile
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2020 at 02:21
"Hats Off", from the 2-CD special edition of "Go Well Diamond Heart" (2010)

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2020 at 01:22
"Wild-Eyed Skies" from "The Ghost Moon Orchestra" (2012) album.

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 12 2020 at 23:34
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>