Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedwho else get’s annoyed with itunes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 21:57
Originally posted by rushfan4 rushfan4 wrote:

As to his alot, I know that that it one of the rules I don't remember very well.  A lot or alot.  My biggest hang up is the "then" versus "than" usage.  I have been trying to figure this one out for years but still can't get a handle on it.  

My biggest foul-up that I am aware of is the "their", "there" and "they're" usage.  I know the proper usage of these words, however, my fingers tend to type the wrong one more often than Thumbs%20Up(or is it then?Thumbs%20Down) not.

Geek "A lot" is always two words, just like "a few,"  "a bunch" "a group" "a multitude" or even "a car" or "a guitar" are all two-word constructions. There is no such word as "alot."

Re the confusion between THEN vs THAN: This is another very common problem. Think of "then" as being connected to time, sequence, as in: 

I woke up, then went downstairs for breakfast.

Here's how you can remember that: I bet you know how to spell "when," another word having to do with time.

Now: notice that both words have "HEN" in them, and remember this sentence:

I will buy a HEN, and THEN we'll have eggs WHEN we wake.

THAN is used for comparing & contrasting: I like Stan better than Dan. 

Understand? Smile

Edited by Peter - September 07 2007 at 22:20
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 21:59
you're a peach, Peter

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 22:07
Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Bugs me too, just like improper speech. It's a mystery how people who grew up a mile away from me can say things like, "I ain't got none."

But I also know that typos are often the culprit here. As much as I stress proper grammar, my fingers betray me quiet often.

I know about typos, of course (I am a terrible typist), but in this case, the apostrophe key is nowhere near the T or the S of "gets" -- the apostrophe was added quite deliberately, and incorrectly.Geek

I see incorrect apostrophe usage everywhere -- even in expensive advertising. I think writing and spelling abilities are declining, and I put a large part of the blame on the Internet (email, chat, "webspeak," etc.), and television (people are reading less). 

Anyway, that's enough of this! I had my rant, and feel better now.Embarrassed I don't want to be "at work" when I'm on here, as well. (I usually ignore these types of errors -- for my own sanity, and everyone else's!) 

Edited by Peter - September 07 2007 at 22:17
He chortled in his joy.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 22:19
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

you're a peach, Peter

Thanks, Ata-boy.Embarrassed

Now it's time to play some good old mindless Red Alert 2! Big%20smile
He chortled in his joy.
The Wizard View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 22:25
Me. Itunes pisses me off, it makes me love Window's Media Player. The only thing I don't like about Ipods is Itunes.
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 22:48
Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Bugs me too, just like improper speech. It's a mystery how people who grew up a mile away from me can say things like, "I ain't got none."

But I also know that typos are often the culprit here. As much as I stress proper grammar, my fingers betray me quiet often.

I know about typos, of course (I am a terrible typist), but in this case, the apostrophe key is nowhere near the T or the S of "gets" -- the apostrophe was added quite deliberately, and incorrectly.Geek

I see incorrect apostrophe usage everywhere -- even in expensive advertising. I think writing and spelling abilities are declining, and I put a large part of the blame on the Internet (email, chat, "webspeak," etc.), and television (people are reading less). 

Anyway, that's enough of this! I had my rant, and feel better now.Embarrassed I don't want to be "at work" when I'm on here, as well. (I usually ignore these types of errors -- for my own sanity, and everyone else's!) 

You nee'd 'to chi'll out'. 

BroSpence View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 22:49
Itunes is an ass blower.  It sucks in storefront, playfront, allfront.  Itunes is the devil.  Lets purchase sh*tty sounding sound files! WOOOWEEEEEE ITUneS.  Wait wait....that would be crazy! EVEN IF IT IS ONLY A BUCK A SONG!
rileydog22 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 22:52
You do realize that you don't have to purchase music through it, right?  

1800iareyay View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2007 at 22:53
I may not be a hi-fi nut, but I really don't think the songs on iTunes are low quality. However, I have noticed the sound quality improving, and I've read articles on mp3s preserving more quality, so even if the songs used to sound bad they are better now. iTunes can be annoying, but the music itself is great and it makes finding some hard to get stuff very easy.

I'd rather sacrifice a tiny amount of sound quality than carry around 800 CDs (400 of which I've either gotten from iTunes or other legal download services). Long live the iPod
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 02:49
Originally posted by rileydog22 rileydog22 wrote:

Why should anyone use iTunes if not for purchasing music? There are many programs which you can use to organize your music library, all better than iTunes (IMO). The only reason I can think of for using it is if you purchased an iPod and thus bound yourself to Apple.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 06:11
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Why should anyone use iTunes if not for purchasing music? There are many programs which you can use to organize your music library, all better than iTunes (IMO). The only reason I can think of for using it is if you purchased an iPod and thus bound yourself to Apple.
There are alternatives to iTunes for managing the iPlod, but they all have failings in someway or other. I use iTunes because I have an iPlod, but I've never linked it to iStore so have never purchased music using it - Apple have had enough of my money as it is and I'm not giving them any more Wink. In retrospect I would never have bought an iPlod if I had used one first, but I love its iconic styling even if it is the most unreliable lump of hardware I've ever encountered.
What?
andu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2007 at 06:22

Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

you're a peach, Peter

Thanks, Ata-boy.Embarrassed

Now it's time to play some good old mindless Red Alert 2! Big%20smile

AAhh, another Red Alert 2 fan! Big%20smile I thought I was the only one left in the whole world! LOL
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 16:52
I will not even consider I-tunes until I can browse without having to give all my personal info.  Its like walking into a record store and having to sign in with name address and phone number before shopping. All I want to do is look around to see if the selection is any good.
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 16:57

You nee'd 'to chi'll out'. 

d0nt b hayt|N 0 leet hax0R wil pwn u
Shakespeare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 21:42
Originally posted by The Wizard The Wizard wrote:

Me. Itunes pisses me off, it makes me love Window's Media Player. The only thing I don't like about Ipods is Itunes.

But wHyyyyy?!?! iTunes is lightyears ahead of Media Player.
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 23:43
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

No kidding. I haven't used WMP (or windows for that matter) for quite a while. Not took long ago, I was helping my Step-Mother get her new mp3 player loaded up. It takes so much more time to do things, I almost went out and bought her Mac.

darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 23:44
I don't have any problems with iTunes, I think it has a pretty simple interface and it's easy to use. 
KoS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 11 2007 at 23:57
Originally posted by Shakespeare Shakespeare wrote:

WMP 11, enough said.
I only use Itunes to download to my Ipod.

Edited by king of Siam - September 11 2007 at 23:58
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 00:08
I've tried bunches of media players.  I use Windows primarily to play stuff on my computer.  (My whole CD collection has been converted by me for portability, that in and of itself is way cool over 3000 titles and no I don't sell or "share" copies.) 

The latest version of WMP is reasonably cool as far as search capabilities and album art display.   Still a little buggy.  I've tried itunes as a media player and wasn't impressed, probably didn't work with it enough to judge it.  I've done Real Player and it's ok.  The most dissapointing program is the one I use with my current digital music player, the Toshiba Gigabeat.  It's been more reliable than my last player, but leaves a lot to be desired.  The device's main goody is the 40 GB capacity.  The software is the most buggy I've ever worked with though.  Don't know if they are still for sale, but it would be hard to give it a really positive recommendation.

Edited by Slartibartfast - September 12 2007 at 00:14
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 12 2007 at 16:12
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I've tried bunches of media players.  I use Windows primarily to play stuff on my computer.  (My whole CD collection has been converted by me for portability, that in and of itself is way cool over 3000 titles and no I don't sell or "share" copies.) 

The latest version of WMP is reasonably cool as far as search capabilities and album art display.   Still a little buggy.  I've tried itunes as a media player and wasn't impressed, probably didn't work with it enough to judge it.  I've done Real Player and it's ok.  The most dissapointing program is the one I use with my current digital music player, the Toshiba Gigabeat.  It's been more reliable than my last player, but leaves a lot to be desired.  The device's main goody is the 40 GB capacity.  The software is the most buggy I've ever worked with though.  Don't know if they are still for sale, but it would be hard to give it a really positive recommendation.

I use the Gigabeat too. If yours is the F40, I recommend Rockbox firmware (free, open source!).  Playlists are alot nicer and it has a crossfader.  Supposedly the Gigabeat can sync with WMP as long as you use the dock with the AC adapter.  I still havn't got that to work. But its still the most bang for the buck from a 40gb player.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>