Topic ClosedThe "problem" with prog metal

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 17>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 16:38
Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Yes I said the same- it's not simply a case of 'if you don't like metal, you won't like prog metal'. That's way too much of an over-simplification.

Well ... how about "if you don't like metal, you won't like the typical prog metal"? I like metal and this may make it impossible for me to understand how somebody who doesn't like metal perceives prog metal. But I imagine that without liking the things that define metal, you could not like bands like Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Opeth, Tool ... not even Maudlin of the Well, who are very different from the "prog metal blueprint" (aka Dream Theater).
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 16:58
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by salmacis salmacis wrote:

Yes I said the same- it's not simply a case of 'if you don't like metal, you won't like prog metal'. That's way too much of an over-simplification.

Well ... how about "if you don't like metal, you won't like the typical prog metal"? I like metal and this may make it impossible for me to understand how somebody who doesn't like metal perceives prog metal. But I imagine that without liking the things that define metal, you could not like bands like Pain of Salvation, Dream Theater, Opeth, Tool ... not even Maudlin of the Well, who are very different from the "prog metal blueprint" (aka Dream Theater).

I don't like normal metal, but I like prog metal for the most part.  I think it's the increased complexity and musical skill found in prog metal compared to normal metal.  I'm a musician myself, and I really don't care to listen to bands mediocre skills and or boring compositions.  I mean, I don't like normal rock at all, but I like prog.  I just like to hear good musicians playing complex pieces of music, and I just don't find that in most normal rock and metal.  For me, it has nothing to do with the heavy metal "sound", but rather what I feel to be lack of development of that sound in normal metal.  I think prog metal brings the metal sound to its full potential, which is why I like it.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 17:04
For my part, I like Metal in general but felt there wasn't always "enough to it". Luckily I dicovered Dream Theater and it was just what the doctor ordered!Wink
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 18:37
It isn't easy for a 70's prog fan to like prog metal. The change is pretty drastic. That's why they need to get "Mundus Incompertus" by Par Lindh Project. Wink

WaywardSon View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 18:52
I donīt have a "problem" with Prog Metal.
The only "problem" I have, are the Prog Elitists. If you donīt like it donīt listen to it.
Why waste time trying to detect hints of AOR etc in a genre you donīt like?
darkmatter View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 21:05
I personally can't stand most metal, especially when it gets very heavy or into death metal (especially Lamb of God, I detest them). 

But I enjoy listening to some progressive metal bands, like Dream Theater, Riverside, and Tool.  I'm actually trying to move a little bit more in the direction of more progressive metal, but I don't think I could go too far into the genre.  A lot of metal still disagrees with me. 
Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 21:15
Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

It isn't easy for a 70's prog fan to like prog metal. The change is pretty drastic. That's why they need to get "Mundus Incompertus" by Par Lindh Project. Wink

No please, there's no relation, Par Lindh Project blends Baroque, Classical with Gothic (The real one from late Mediaeval, not that abomination from the 1800's), absolutely no connection with Metal.

Some Viking Metal bands use the formula of Par Lindh to start their tracks but are two different species.

Iván

OpethGuitarist View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 21:23
i must say im surprised theres been intelligent debate about the subject, kudos to all for showing good etiquette, or what not

for me personally most of the bands I enjoy are rarely the front runners of the genre (i dont care for Genesis, I dont care for DT)

personally i think the best bridge to prog metal for the older members is heavier King Crimson and some VDGG
back from the dead, i will begin posting reviews again and musing through the forums
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 21:26
^^ I don't know about VdGG, but definetly King Crimson. I am actually considering buying some more prog metal. What should I get?
Chus View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 21:28
Originally posted by OpethGuitarist OpethGuitarist wrote:

i must say im surprised theres been intelligent debate about the subject, kudos to all for showing good etiquette, or what notfor me personally most of the bands I enjoy are rarely the front runners of the genre (i dont care for Genesis, I dont care for DT)personally i think the best bridge to prog metal for the older members is heavier King Crimson and some VDGG

I always thought it was KC that pioneered prog-metal (particularly on Larks' Tongues)... I've also recently been on a Carmen phase myself, and they sound very metal in some segments of their music.

Jesus Gabriel
chamberry View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 21:38
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Originally posted by chamberry chamberry wrote:

No please, there's no relation, Par Lindh Project blends Baroque, Classical with Gothic (The real one from late Mediaeval, not that abomination from the 1800's), absolutely no connection with Metal.

Some Viking Metal bands use the formula of Par Lindh to start their tracks but are two different species.

Iván

The only relation I hear with prog metal is the drummer and that's why I said it. His drumming reminds me a lot to prog metal bands I know because of his fast and agressive style and he blends it perfectly with the overall PLP sound without sounding out of place. Hence my recommendation (not really a serious one by the way).

Edited by chamberry - December 23 2006 at 21:40

NotSoKoolAid View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 21:42
I want to offer one thing to think about.

If I were to introduce anyone I know to a "prog metal" band, the chances are they would refer to it as "metal". They won't say anything like "this is unlike anything else I have ever heard and I can't classify it", like everyone did when Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Genesis, etc, first came out.

So to refer to certain kinds of metal groups as "prog metal" gets some of us wondering, why not just call it metal?

The older I get, the less I think Dream Theater is prog, even though I like them no less for it. On the other hand, a group like Kayo Dot is MUCH closer to being unclassifiable, and therefore a tag such as "Art Rock" or "Prog Metal" does make sense.

To take as many -slightly- out of the ordinary metal groups and attempt to relate them to prog with a tag (prog-metal) seems a tad bit ridiculous. Something like this can, and is, throwing a lot of people off prog-metal. Even myself.

I don't like prog-metal, but I do like the stand-out groups, such as Kayo Dot. Even Dream Theater, whether it's metal/prog or not.

Edited by NotSoKoolAid - December 23 2006 at 21:52
Sasquamo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 21:56
Originally posted by NotSoKoolAid NotSoKoolAid wrote:

If I were to introduce anyone I know to a "prog metal" band, the chances are they would refer to it as "metal". They won't say anything like "this is unlike anything else I have ever heard and I can't classify it", like everyone did when Yes, King Crimson, Gentle Giant, Genesis, etc, first came out.

So to refer to certain kinds of metal groups as "prog metal" gets some of us wondering, why not just call it metal?

The older I get, the less I think Dream Theater is prog, even though I like them no less for it. On the other hand, a group like Kayo Dot is MUCH closer to being unclassifiable, and therefore a tag such as "Art Rock" or "Prog Metal" does make sense.

To take as many -slightly- out of the ordinary metal groups and attempt to relate them to prog with a tag (prog-metal) seems a tad bit ridiculous. Something like this can, and is, throwing a lot of people off prog-metal. Even myself.

I don't like prog-metal, but I do like the stand-out groups, such as Kayo Dot. Even Dream Theater, whether it's metal/prog or not.

Well I don't think there's the "prog" in prog metal because the genre sounds like genre-defining prog, but because it shares the same traits as a lot of prog.  I don't think that makes it less prog, because prog bands rarely have similar sounds, they just share similar traits, the ones listed on this site.  Prog metal is no exception.
progismylife View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2006 at 22:05
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

Well I don't think there's the "prog" in prog metal because the genre sounds like genre-defining prog, but because it shares the same traits as a lot of prog.  I don't think that makes it less prog, because prog bands rarely have similar sounds, they just share similar traits, the ones listed on this site.  Prog metal is no exception.

I like the points you make. Very good ones.
trauma0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 00:37
prog metal rlz!!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 01:30
Originally posted by Sasquamo Sasquamo wrote:

The metal groups that don't sound the same as the rest are the ones that I enjoy most of all. This is why I threw out the name Kayo Dot. Nobody sounds like that! The problem is, Kayo Dot is an extreme minority. It's for groups like these that the term "prog-metal" should have been invented.

Basically, there's too much metal-trash, and all the good metal is being covered up because of this. Too much focus is put on the prog-metal clones. Originality is left behind. Since this is the case, why wouldn't people be angry at prog-metal? What they've heard probably does suck.

The prog-metal groups are, overall, A LOT more incestuous with their techniques than those in Art Rock have EVER been.

Art Rock's where it's at for me, it's so easy to enjoy such diversity, and originality. It's like I'm finding a whole new world each time, and I'm not stuck on the same style of music.

Nor would I be if I listened to Kayo Dot, then Dream Theater..... yet they are both "prog-metal"? There's a win-win situation for me.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 01:43
^^^^ Just to back up my point, as I'm typing this, the last group to be added to this site is named "MADDER MORTEM". I decided, in hopes of finding a tolerable group perhaps, to listen to a sample on their myspace page (http://www.myspace.com/metalireland).

It's easier to laugh at "MADDER MORTEM" then to look for positive qualities in such a group that has so little relation to prog-rock, especially when i'm on a prog-rock site looking for prog-rock related groups.

This is the impression so many prog-metal groups give to random people on this site, and that is unfortunate. Why not call "MADDER MORTEM" metal as opposed to prog-metal? This is, at least, how most people will see it whether it's correct or not, and with that, you got Kool Aid's point in a nutshell.

Edited by NotSoKoolAid - December 24 2006 at 01:46
smithers View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 03:26
Metal sucks usually. It's just anger music for kids going through pubety

Edited by smithers - December 24 2006 at 05:22
Bryan View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2006 at 03:32