FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe importance of analog sound in prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 38>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 22 2012 at 22:57
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

As I also have said many times before - audiophilists spent 40 years striving for perfection but when we gave them perfection they didn't want it. If you like what you hear then you have the perfect system for you. That is the be all and end all of it. No better no better no best.

Yeah...I think I mentioned this somewhere earlier in the thread.  Even the advancements in synths and drum machines were driven by musicians seeking more and more perfection.   And I am not sure many from the younger generation have rejected it anyway.   Even though I like a lot of 70s recordings or that kind of recordings, I don't really have a problem with perfectly recorded audio per se and I guess somebody like JS19 actually prefers modern recordings to older ones.  What the older generation wanted when they sought perfect recordings was somewhere disconnected with what they eventually got.  

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 02:37
Absolutely agree...whatever system you have if you like it then that is all that matters, the reason you like it is because your ears like it.
There are many audiophile websites I visit and post in....Discussions come up all the time about looking for perfection and what defines this search. In general I appreciate what people who are very serious about their music listening, are doing, which is basically trying to find the best system match possible.
There is a lot of thought process that goes into it and it is very interesting to me to hear other peoples experiences. For many of these audiophiles it means spending a lot of money......but I also understand this is a hobby. Just like vintage cars or motorcycles are for some and are expensive to tweek, revive, rebuild.....its not cheap. Some audio gear is not cheap either...but the good thing is as long as you deal with a reputable dealer the return policy is very generous, I never found this to be the case back in the 80's-90's.

I had to read Moshkito post several times, because it made a lot of sense with regard to music, it was a good read. Month in month out I listen to more digital than vinyl because I am working at my desk and I can hit play and not have to change anything for several hours. My serious listening time is spent with vinyl though, when I can sit on the sofa and pay complete attention to the speakers, and I am almost always holding the liner notes and or the gatefold sleeve, which helps take me back to the early days.....technical specs at that point mean nothing.

Its all good
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 08:17
Some albums are better in vinyl, other in CD or digital formats even from the same period of the same band. IMO Atom Heart Mother is better served on Vinyl and Dark Side Of The Moon requires all of the digital "perfection". And the two albums went from the same producer, too.

It's subjective and depends also on the artists and the producers mindset at the recording time.

I have a little preference for vinyl, anyway. On early CDs and CD readers the dynamic was excessive. 
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
hobocamp View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 09:15
Isn't it a bit like the importance of steam engines in motor cars?
They were needed until a better technology came along. Some steam engine vehicles are more valuable to collectors for their authenticity : but they would almost certainly operate differently if retrofitted with petrol, diesel, or electric engines. Probably faster and quieter without the bulky steam engine; but the chassis wasn't designed for this, creating an uncomfortable and even unsafe experience. My point? be sure to use safety belts when spinning those remasters.

Edited by hobocamp - September 23 2012 at 09:18
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 23 2012 at 11:36

... that is exactly "it" - the moment...

Thx ... I am "sensitive" to these moments and have always been, and it's too easy to say that because I read Castaneda, Crowley, Lilly, Monroe and many others, that drugs have something to do with it. I remember the line in Castaneda's books, and Carlos asks don Juan if the drugs were needed and the answer was ... "of course not stupid, but we had to get you to shut up for a minute to see a thing or two!" ...

All in all, I'm against the drugs in concept. In experience it is another thing altogether since some folks have to "experience" things to "know". I don't ... I can tell by the colors and the feels of the words and music and such, what is there or not there ... and thus one of the main reasons why "lyrics" rarely impress me ... and the ones that are the most fun, are the ones that are always to the left, right, upside down and ... meaningless, which I find hilarious in many a moment ... like Mona Lisa you got a bird brain!

This is the biggest thing that synthesized when I saw the Tom Dowd DVD, that I had few words for ... the "moment", because Tom makes it clear, that if you were not listening or paying attention, you would not find it or see it. And when you hear him separate the two special tracks from all the rest ... they are even more special together! .. and he even says .. he was lucky to capture it!

A lot of this for me, has been because I always was a "close my eyes" listener to most music ... and my favorite descriptions for a lot of music can be found in "Disney's Fantasia" and "Nichetti's Allegro Non Troppo", both of which illustrate music in ways that are massive ... you got to see the Dvorak piece in Allegro Non Troppo , btw! You will love it!

I think that we have a tendency to "glorify" today's technology ... always ... as the end all a nd be all ... and I am not sure that we care if we hear various differences in Beethoven, or Mozart ... it's the music itself that "delivers" that moment ... that which makes us ... appreciate it as such.

As for rock bands, almost none that I ever saw, have ever sounded as good on record as they did live, or vice versa ... other than Pink Floyd, Nektar ... all the others were not the same band, and the music behind it had a completely different feeling. Nektar we all knew already because they showed it to us in "Sounds LIke This" and Pink Floyd was very clean to the recording since Dark Side of the Moon ... but NOT before, when they were completely different and you can attest that to 15 different versions of Atom Heart Mother, another 15 versions of Set the Controls to the heart of the sun, and so forth, and the clear fact that they used sound effects between pieces, and my guess always has been ... to make sure they could setup the intruments and the effects properly between pieces. Later with Dark Side of the Moon, Dave's pedal board itself was insane instead and some controls were not on his feet or hands already! The only exception to this was Led Zeppelin where at least 10 to 12 bootlegs were far superior to ANY of their albums in their first 4 years! The energy and flow was insane!

But there are/were some awesome things ... Tangerine Dream was like ... another night with that lovely woman ... it's like a brand new night again! ... and you can't ask for more! It leaves you breathless ... and to me, that is what that "moment" is all about! ... the only "truth" that defines most of life and art that we love so much!

((-- On a side note ... now you know why something like Sandy Denny's last song (One More Chance) in that album is so scary and spooky ... and she sings it like she already knew! That's not a lyric for me ... that's "reality" in a way that we don't like to see, or imagine, and we could say that she had already transcended the thought, idea or concept ... now, that is a singer and then some! Only Peter Hammill has come this close in my book, btw!--))

Edited by moshkito - September 23 2012 at 11:50
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
JediJoker7169 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 04:43

Popular music can handle a greater dynamic range, but the typical listening environment (for popular music) cannot. We don't all sit in the sweet-spot of a purpose-built listening room in subdued lighting and a nice comfy chair to listen intently to every nuance of a recording. For most of us music is the soundtrack to daily life. Even us prog fans will use music as background while we do other things, such as driving or doing homework or just doing the dishes and for that huge dynamic range is a disadvantage.

Why make that sacrifice?  I understand the need to compress dynamics in the vinyl mastering process.  But why, other than in the furtherance of transparency, should compression be applied during the digital mastering process?  Why not simply build a user selectable compressor into the DAC, receiver, or preamplifier of all listening systems?  It could even have a preset that matches the FCC mandated compression for radio broadcast.  Or, even better, why not follow the same principle as Dolby Digital Dynamic Range Control?

Quote Dolby Digital uses a novel approach to applying Dynamic Range Control (DRC) to audio program material. Rather than compressing the dynamic range of the audio in an irreversible way, Dolby Digital encoders generate compression gain (also referred to as control) words that are carried in the Dolby Digital bitstream. When the bitstream is decoded, the compression gain words are applied to the audio material according to user settings. Dolby Digital decoders can be commanded to provide full, reduced, or even no dynamic range compression at all. This allows end users to adjust the amount of dynamic range compression to suit individual tastes and needs.

I'm tired of compromise.  I'm tired of otherwise excellent albums ruined by excessive dynamic compression.  Why should I or anyone else have to put up with it?

Edited by JediJoker7169 - October 07 2012 at 04:50
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 13:07
Originally posted by JediJoker7169 JediJoker7169 wrote:

Popular music can handle a greater dynamic range, but the typical listening environment (for popular music) cannot. We don't all sit in the sweet-spot of a purpose-built listening room in subdued lighting and a nice comfy chair to listen intently to every nuance of a recording. For most of us music is the soundtrack to daily life. Even us prog fans will use music as background while we do other things, such as driving or doing homework or just doing the dishes and for that huge dynamic range is a disadvantage.

Why make that sacrifice?  I understand the need to compress dynamics in the vinyl mastering process.  But why, other than in the furtherance of transparency, should compression be applied during the digital mastering process?  Why not simply build a user selectable compressor into the DAC, receiver, or preamplifier of all listening systems?  It could even have a preset that matches the FCC mandated compression for radio broadcast.  Or, even better, why not follow the same principle as Dolby Digital Dynamic Range Control?
Quote Dolby Digital uses a novel approach to applying Dynamic Range Control (DRC) to audio program material. Rather than compressing the dynamic range of the audio in an irreversible way, Dolby Digital encoders generate compression gain (also referred to as control) words that are carried in the Dolby Digital bitstream. When the bitstream is decoded, the compression gain words are applied to the audio material according to user settings. Dolby Digital decoders can be commanded to provide full, reduced, or even no dynamic range compression at all. This allows end users to adjust the amount of dynamic range compression to suit individual tastes and needs.

I'm tired of compromise.  I'm tired of otherwise excellent albums ruined by excessive dynamic compression.  Why should I or anyone else have to put up with it?
What are you going to do? The music industry is notorious for not being consumer driven - the "loudness wars" are not being won by the consumer - discerning artist are fighting their corner but they are in a minority - most pop and rock artists want their latest releases to be as loud and in-you-face as everyone else's. Equipment manufacturers aren't going to build-in features that people won't use (or pay Dolby licences that give no market advantage) - if most of the music available is already compressed then the feature will not be used.

The good news for Prog fans is that we do have discerning artists who do want dynamic range in their albums - what the mainstream artists do is their concern, not ours.
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 13:48

The good news for Prog fans is that we do have discerning artists who do want dynamic range in their albums - what the mainstream artists do is their concern, not ours.

Agreed!

But the main thing here, though, is really not the "range", as it is the music itself. But if the band is already doing what everyone else is doing, they are not progressive and be remembered for long, or considered progressive. Maybe "prog" ...!!!

In most cases, I think that the artists need to have a certain amount of disdain for the "technical" this and that ... and stick to the music. This is one of the reasons why so much of the "prog" material does not appeal to me ... in the end, it still has a "format" and is recorded in one way, and has exactly the same 3rd or 5th chord change ... and it ends in the same theme ... how creative!

The analog sound, was about the time and place. Today there are no new instruments and toys for people to play with and not enough rock bands use t-spoons in their playing ... they are too damn stuck to actually do something different.  Analog-synth-sound, to me, is/was another instrument. Plain and simple. Something that too many of today's audience can not fathom and understand ... they never heard a different instrument!

The commerciality of the whole thing is another discussion that should be here, but it is too intense and tied up to be added here. To think that you can not make your own choices, and in the country with all the freedoms, you stand up for a top ten ... is bizarre ... when you have the freedoms, they don't mean anything ... except money for some corporation? Maybe one day some folks will get it -- what all this "progressive" thing was all about.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 14:21
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

You CAN lose more detail in analog because of the scratches and the hissing and all that but you don't in digital, every sound is well separated and clear.  At the most, you may have to adjust the equalizers to push up some sounds you want to hear more clearly.

I just thought of it ... in the end, this is a VERY UNFAIR comparison ... because there are 30 to 40 years in between these two ...

So, the new joke is ... that PA loves to compare Model T's to the Range Rover!

I think it ok to consider the new "sound" as a valid instrument ... and the many folks that did so ... otherwise, I am starting to think that this discussion is really ... Embarrassed     Tongue    Shocked  ... for the blarneys to discuss the history of mankind!

Edited by moshkito - October 07 2012 at 14:24
www.pedrosena.com
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 14:30
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

You CAN lose more detail in analog because of the scratches and the hissing and all that but you don't in digital, every sound is well separated and clear.  At the most, you may have to adjust the equalizers to push up some sounds you want to hear more clearly.

that PA loves to compare Model T's to the Range Rover!

Not PA. Just one individual.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 14:57

Agreed!

But the main thing here, though, is really not the "range", as it is the music itself. But if the band is already doing what everyone else is doing, they are not progressive and be remembered for long, or considered progressive. Maybe "prog" ...!!!
The main thing here is a misconception that old is good and new is bad.

Deriding modern bands for doing what everyone else is doing is like criticising Johan Strauss II for continuing to compose waltzes.

In most cases, I think that the artists need to have a certain amount of disdain for the "technical" this and that ... and stick to the music. This is one of the reasons why so much of the "prog" material does not appeal to me ... in the end, it still has a "format" and is recorded in one way, and has exactly the same 3rd or 5th chord change ... and it ends in the same theme ... how creative!

The analog sound, was about the time and place. Today there are no new instruments and toys for people to play with and not enough rock bands use t-spoons in their playing ... they are too damn stuck to actually do something different.  Analog-synth-sound, to me, is/was another instrument. Plain and simple. Something that too many of today's audience can not fathom and understand ... they never heard a different instrument!
That's more of a topic for the Analog Synths sound dated? thread (which I have avoided like the plague) - and I've said before that I don't believe that synths per se were that pivotal to the development of progressive rock as such. New sounds and instruments are not an short-cut to new music, a musician bereft of ideas may be inspired by a new toy, they will not necessarily become more creative as a result. It is ironic that some of the most notable songs that employed new toys used them out of the box and with factory-set presets: Moody Blues' Nights in White Satin, The Who's Baba O'Riley, Pink Floyd's On The Run, Bowie's Space Oddity, Gary Numan's Cars. It was only when we got to hear the Fairlight sampling synth (Peter Gabriel, Kate Bush, Gentlemen Without Weapons) create a tuned and playable music instrument out of found sounds did we get non-avant garde artists creating music using "new sounds" - but even then, those sounds did not drive the creative process. You can make a noise using by dragging a broken cement mixer across a yard, the sampling synth can take that sound, tune it to concert pitch and create chromatic scale from it - then you can make music with it.

The commerciality of the whole thing is another discussion that should be here, but it is too intense and tied up to be added here. To think that you can not make your own choices, and in the country with all the freedoms, you stand up for a top ten ... is bizarre ... when you have the freedoms, they don't mean anything ... except money for some corporation? Maybe one day some folks will get it -- what all this "progressive" thing was all about.
I think the day when most folks got that was a sometime ago, you may have missed the memo - you keep telling us "we don't get it" but we do, I assure you, we do. Commerciality is whether you want to make money or not. I think any notion of your average Prog band making a shed-load of money out of music vanished a long time in the past - when bands are asking their fans to finance the recording of their next album I think we can safely conclude that the previous album didn't make a huge profit.
What?
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 15:55

I think the day when most folks got that was a sometime ago, you may have missed the memo - you keep telling us "we don't get it" but we do, I assure you, we do. Commerciality is whether you want to make money or not. I think any notion of your average Prog band making a shed-load of money out of music vanished a long time in the past - when bands are asking their fans to finance the recording of their next album I think we can safely conclude that the previous album didn't make a huge profit.

I'm not even sure that commerciality is a part of it ... Pink Floyd is very commercial, and did just fine ... and we do not worry about it. Same with Rush.

What I mean by that, and my words were not clear enough, is that when you hear the lyrics and pay attention to the "progressive" music of yesterday, that started this whole thing, in the end, they were revolting against the social milieu ... and were looking for changes. There is no middle ground in a lot of these things ... except many of the ones that were at Woodstock, many of which were quite meaningless ... like Sly and his crapper ... got my head beat up in Chicago! ... and Joan Baez was a fake, and John Sebastian was just on really good acid!  etc etc etc ... the kind of things that I personally revolt against ... the hippocrisy as an excuse to be hip ... or just sell some more!

Now, we can all think like John Lennon, and say that if you're thinking revolution with a gun, you can count me out, but that is completely different when you are talking a revolution with a musical instrument and WORDS. The late 60's were about change ... no one is questioning that ... and the music was a serious part of that "change", and sometimes, calling it "progressive" because of this or that has a tendency to diminish the literary content that it had as an art scene. It WAS an art scene, with literature, painting, film, theater and many other arts! It is, to me, quite an interesting idea ... that the synthesizer became a kind of "spokesperson" for the new time and place in music ... the kind of use and concept having been lost a few years later just like the old joke ... the piece sign is now in plastic ... an oil product no less! The main symbol of "industrialism.

And most pop music ... followed that path!

The folks here, simply have to decide if they want more pop music or progressive music ... and an in between like "prog" ... is ok, but it distorts the discussion as bad as the digital/analog conversation!

Edited by moshkito - October 07 2012 at 16:01
www.pedrosena.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 16:06
And it's too bad there were people like Charles Manson ("you can count me out-in-out")

But, boy, when that lead singer of U2 flashes his peace sign, now that is plastic!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2012 at 17:39

I'm not even sure that commerciality is a part of it ... Pink Floyd is very commercial, and did just fine ... and we do not worry about it. Same with Rush.
Two artists out of seven thousand isn't affirmation that Prog made money - sure in its hey-day a few artists made it big, but the rest did not. And let's be sure we understand I'm not talking about sell-out, sucking up to the man, commercial music, but proper no-compromise progressive rock music that was a commercial success. And those few successes were important - they paid for many of the other less successful bands to record and release albums, and here's how: Mike Oldfield made a ton of cash for Branson, Branson used that money to pay for other prog artists to record albums, some of them, like Tangerine Dream, had chart success and made Branson some more cash, others, like Slapp Happy, Henry Cow, Hatfield and the North, Gong, Faust, Ivor Cutler, Robert Wyatt, Clearlight, etc. weren't such big money spinners - most of them lost money for Branson, but not as much as Oldfield and TD made so all was well. The same is true over at Charisma Records where big sellers like Lindisfarne, The Nice and Monty Python paid for the recording of (early) Genesis, Van der Graaf Generator, Audience and String Driven Thing albums. Commerciality is not about deliberately making music that will sell, it's about selling the music you make.

What I mean by that, and my words were not clear enough, is that when you hear the lyrics and pay attention to the "progressive" music of yesterday, that started this whole thing, in the end, they were revolting against the social milieu ... and were looking for changes. There is no middle ground in a lot of these things ... except many of the ones that were at Woodstock, many of which were quite meaningless ... like Sly and his crapper ... got my head beat up in Chicago! ... and Joan Baez was a fake, and John Sebastian was just on really good acid!  etc etc etc ... the kind of things that I personally revolt against ... the hippocrisy as an excuse to be hip ... or just sell some more!

Now, we can all think like John Lennon, and say that if you're thinking revolution with a gun, you can count me out, but that is completely different when you are talking a revolution with a musical instrument and WORDS. The late 60's were about change ... no one is questioning that ... and the music was a serious part of that "change", and sometimes, calling it "progressive" because of this or that has a tendency to diminish the literary content that it had as an art scene. It WAS an art scene, with literature, painting, film, theater and many other arts! It is, to me, quite an interesting idea ... that the synthesizer became a kind of "spokesperson" for the new time and place in music ... the kind of use and concept having been lost a few years later just like the old joke ... the piece sign is now in plastic ... an oil product no less! The main symbol of "industrialism.
Nah, it was never like that. Progressive Rock was never about "the revolution", there are no Prog protest songs (well, don't kill the whale, dig it). There was no Prog at Woodstock, Monterey or Altamount, the hippie dream died at the end of the summer of love, Prog picked over its psychedelic carcass and took away nothing but the music, leaving the flower-power nonsense and student-campus idealism behind in the mud. When Prog arrived (let's pretend it was 1969, it saves a lot of time and argument), the revolution was over and lost. Prog went forward without a message and without a banner to wave (it had a waver waiver) - it was about the music and little else - the concept was the concept - telling stories, not changing the world.

There was no art scene associated with prog - no Prog literature, no Prog film, no Prog theatre - what little art that existed was in the cover artwork, and that was also used to sell Science Fiction pulp paperbacks and Motown Chartbusters.

The synth was never the "spokesperson" of Prog Rock, kind of or otherwise. It is easier to name 20 great Prog guitarists than it is to name 20 great Prog synth-players (and I will discount any organists, pianists and general keyboardists here - I mean proper Synthesiser players who knew how to play and program the damn thing and who knew how to keep it in-tune on stage). Most of the time the synth was used just as the Mellotron was - playing fill-in pads, substituting for strings and orchestra - the number of lead synth breaks in a typical Prog song are not that many by comparison to guitar, organ, piano or even saxophone or violin. Prog had many names, Synth-Rock was never one of them.

And most pop music ... followed that path!

The folks here, simply have to decide if they want more pop music or progressive music ... and an in between like "prog" ... is ok, but it distorts the discussion as bad as the digital/analog conversation!
Yeah, we get that. (I said we did and we do). If you want music in the 21st century that progresses then you are looking in all the wrong places and that is not the fault of modern progressive rock bands.

Edited by Dean - October 07 2012 at 17:45
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 10:07

So, the new joke is ... that PA loves to compare Model T's to the Range Rover!

Well, one would imagine something's terribly wrong if people insist the Range Rover is not a car just because it doesn't look like a Model T.   And for the last time, I have nothing against analog or digital for that matter.   My point is simply that many of the complaints made of the digital format itself are questionable because they relate more to the way bands - and not all bands at that, not even close - use the format these days.  I am not sure how many of the older demographic on PA would be too happy to listen to Children of Bodom or Lamb of God even if it was only available in vinyl.  A good digital recording has dynamics, has organic warmth, has everything.  Now if you delve any further into incredibly minute differences, you are basically splitting hairs and are more obsessed with the format than the music itself, that's my point.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 14:22
I for one am glad I can enjoy the formats I listen to...... Vinyl, CDs and Digital Files. I don't have a complaint about either format..CD's and Digital Files serve a purpose in my system, while Vinyl is the preferred format by a long shot.

I personally do not think digital recordings have "organic warmth", since you are using adjectives, I would have a hard time thinking or hearing this.
That's cool that you do though.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 08 2012 at 20:43
^^^  That depends on what you mean by the word 'organic warmth'.   If on a recording, I can feel - as opposed to merely hear - the effect of 'real' instruments like guitar/drums/violin rather than sterile synthesized/processed tones, I call it 'organic warmth'.   There are digital recordings which still reproduce this effect.  It is probably not going to sound the same as analog because the blending, as opposed to, separation of sounds in analog produced a certain rich, dense tone which you don't normally get in digital.  Does that necessarily make it inauthentic, though....because in a contemporary gig with modern mike setups, you are not going to hear that analog-like rich, dense sound, it IS going to sound not very different from a digital recording of such a concert.  It is probably possible to achieve a more dense mix even in digital because I have heard contemporary recordings with such a mix - though not as dense as analog - but guess what, the audience thumbs it down.   They have grown so used to complete separation of different sounds that they think there's something wrong with the recording if it sounds dense.    As Dean said earlier, neither musicians nor audiences seem to know exactly what kind of recording they want to hear.   They chased perfection in the analog age, then imperfection again in the digital age and then they want imperfection with separation, blah blah blah. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 12:46
^^^ No it depends what YOU mean.....I did not state it, you did originally. I know to me it would have nothing to do with digital recordings. In general most CDs do not depict the sound of an acoustic guitar the way I hear a live acoustic guitar for example. To me the sounds are too connected and there is not enough separation in the different string sounds....the lows are just not the same on CD and the highs can be too shrilly.....That to me, using your word, is organic warmth I get from a well done analog recording.

Where I do think digital does best is on jazz female vocals, when I listen to Diana Krall on vinyl I really enjoy the piano, to me that is amazing. But the vocals I prefer on CD or my Digital files, in this case I do feel more detail comes through as a whole.

So again it has a place in my system and it may not work for all, but for me it does. The reasons why are subjective and I am not going there cause it does not matter.....As it pertains to hi-fi gear and what I use which is all personal choices.

Enjoy the music is the key!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 13:56
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^^^ No it depends what YOU mean.....I did not state it, you did originally. I know to me it would have nothing to do with digital recordings. In general most CDs do not depict the sound of an acoustic guitar the way I hear a live acoustic guitar for example. To me the sounds are too connected and there is not enough separation in the different string sounds....the lows are just not the same on CD and the highs can be too shrilly.....That to me, using your word, is organic warmth I get from a well done analog recording.

Where I do think digital does best is on jazz female vocals, when I listen to Diana Krall on vinyl I really enjoy the piano, to me that is amazing. But the vocals I prefer on CD or my Digital files, in this case I do feel more detail comes through as a whole.

So again it has a place in my system and it may not work for all, but for me it does. The reasons why are subjective and I am not going there cause it does not matter.....As it pertains to hi-fi gear and what I use which is all personal choices.

Enjoy the music is the key!
Organic warmth has no formal definition, it's whatever you want it to be. Back in 2005 I recorded and co-produced an album for a metal band, in my version of the final mix I eq'd the drums to capture the nice rounded tone of the drummer's very expensive kit so they sounded just as I had always heard them played live on stage and in the rehearsal room - you could say it was "organic" because it was deep and warm and I'd place the drums themselves on a moderately narrow soundstage (to mimic how they sound live - none of this snare in the left speaker, hi-hat in the right and the toms dancing across the full width of the stereo image malarkey), and I was quite proud of what I'd achieved - it was a natural sound that captured the quality of his kit perfectly (IMO). The only problem was the drummer (a young lad half my age) hated it, it sounded too "prog" to him, he wanted more punch, he wanted the snare to be more "clicky" (his words) and "in your face", reluctant to do that myself I suggested the band took the masters back to the studio where we recorded them to mix them as they wanted them, which they did. Needless to say, I hated the resulting drum sound (which was not quite as bad as the drum sound on Metallica's St Anger for example, but still clean, modern and oh so very sterile). But the band was happy so we self-released that version and all was well. Until someone asked why we used a drum machine when we had a first-class drummer in the band LOL... Fortunately, (evidently seeing the error of their ways Wink), after they got signed the band remixed the album again for its "professional" release - the drums are still not as warm and "organic" and proggy as my original eq-ing, but at least they now sound "real".

And of course all that was done digitally, from 24-bit digital recordings through to the final mastering, resulting in three versions of the final mix each as different as the other - from the "warm and organic" to the "cold and sterile" with the final release a happy balance between the two. And that's the point I've been trying to make from the outset - there is no "digital" sound, only the sound the producer and artists want.

Edited by Dean - October 09 2012 at 13:56
What?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 14:33

^ Nice story.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 38>