Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSwans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 02:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by bytor2112 bytor2112 wrote:

^They absolutely do, just like most of the Post Rock bands listed on PA. All I think is that if bands like Godspeed (like Max mentioned), or Sigur Ros are here, then why shouldn't Swans be here? I'd say Prog-Related without a doubt. 
Because we absolutely do not play "If Band X are here then Band Y should be here" games.

That argument has never worked and it will never work.

Okay, I understand. I guess Swans aren't PA's kind of "Progressive", that's fine. Doesn't mean I'll stop listening to themSmile
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 02:54
I've heard a huge number of people describe Swans as prog, even before their put out The Seer which is their most progressive album by far.  The only reason to even hold off on adding them is one of stubbornness.  Swans are prog, most of their fans and many people who don't even enjoy the music would agree.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 03:16
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Swans are prog, most of their fans and many people who don't even enjoy the music would agree.

Don't you see what the problem really is?  Classic example of the "fit sub genre first, to hell with whether or not it is prog" syndrome in this website.   As for prog identity,  the label of progressive rock was applied after the fact to several bands from back in the day so, no, whether the band or their fans regularly identify themselves as prog is not really a foolproof acid test (though the thinking increasingly seems to be that it is).   I thought Bjork was an amazing addition but since then, the website is seemingly fighting shy of bold additions with greater determination.

I mean, if you simply pass this off as, say, an Amon Duul II track, I am not sure how many people are going to vociferously cry this is not prog.  Maybe change the date to 1972 also if that helps. 

Edited by rogerthat - March 03 2013 at 03:17
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 03:31
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

I've heard a huge number of people describe Swans as prog, even before their put out The Seer which is their most progressive album by far.  The only reason to even hold off on adding them is one of stubbornness.  Swans are prog, most of their fans and many people who don't even enjoy the music would agree.
Stubbornness? Looking a the ProgFreak voting charts they were unanimously voted "move" by the metal team and thusly moved to Post Rock team for evaluation, so far only one person on that team has voted (a "no" btw). To date they are still under evaluation and have not been rejected. If (and only if) an SC decides to sponsor them for evalaution by the Admins for Prog Related then we will look at them, but this should only be done after all "Prog" avenues have been explored and evaluated. You can call this stubbornness if you like, I prefer to call it due process.

Okay, I understand. I guess Swans aren't PA's kind of "Progressive", that's fine.
See above.

Doesn't mean I'll stop listening to themSmile
Nor should it. I've been listening to Swans for at least 26 years and would place them in my list of all time favourite bands ever without a second thought. At no time in those 26 years have I ever thought they were a Prog band but that has never stopped me listening to them.
What?
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 05:26
^^ rogerthat, no this is not the problem

As Dean said above, they were initially suggested to the PM team who has voted 'Move' and this is under evaluation in the post rock team (unless you hear metal in them, I don't) - in my opinion the most appropriate team on this website to decide based on what I have heard so far.

Please be patient and post tracks from their discography that can help the team make an evaluation. If they are finally rejected (and I can understand why) then you can always suggest them for prog related, if a SC is willing to sponsor them.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 07:07
I've said before (either here or in the Post team thread) that if Alex.ro were still around they might have had a chance. I would vote yes but am waiting for other members to vote. Nobody's sure who is still participating in the Post Rock team; two members haven't voted in a year or so and I don't know if the newest member is officially a member who can vote yet.
Magma America Great Make Again
Ady Cardiac View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 07:15
i love the Swans......they do have Prog type stuff going on in their sound.....but swans are quite a one off band anyways.....no matter what anyone says in this post wont put me off um one bit......The Seer was me fave album last year.

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 07:27
Originally posted by zravkapt zravkapt wrote:

I've said before (either here or in the Post team thread) that if Alex.ro were still around they might have had a chance. I would vote yes but am waiting for other members to vote. Nobody's sure who is still participating in the Post Rock team; two members haven't voted in a year or so and I don't know if the newest member is officially a member who can vote yet.
As far as I am aware the Post/Math Rock Team is yourself, Angel, Austin, Alex (AWOL since May-2012) and Joel (AWOL since Nov-2012) - I think it is safe to say that Alex and Joel are off the team. The only recent promotion I know of is Austin and it is the responsibility of the team leader to get any new members added to ProgFreak - he can vote without that of course.

Edited by Dean - March 03 2013 at 07:29
What?
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2013 at 10:02
^I thought Tanner was the new member and Austin was only on the Math team.
Magma America Great Make Again
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 06:28

Okay, I understand. I guess Swans aren't PA's kind of "Progressive", that's fine.

After listening to "Seer" by The Swans I was plainly shocked not to find them in the ProgArchives. The earlier albums might be different, but *this* album fits into all prog categories. It's justifiable to reject some ProtoProg bands or to draw a clear line between indie and 'prog' - that's a matter of opinion. But I don't see any scope of interpretation in the prog relevance of "The Seer". I suppose I'll never ever understand the addition criteria here. Shocked
All in all each man in all men
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2013 at 07:01
Originally posted by Einsetumadur Einsetumadur wrote:

After listening to "Seer" by The Swans I was plainly shocked not to find them in the ProgArchives. The earlier albums might be different, but *this* album fits into all prog categories. It's justifiable to reject some ProtoProg bands or to draw a clear line between indie and 'prog' - that's a matter of opinion. But I don't see any scope of interpretation in the prog relevance of "The Seer". I suppose I'll never ever understand the addition criteria here. Shocked

Hi there MaxSmile
Don't worry - you're not the only one who thinks The Seer is (some kind of) prog. Plus, reading your reviews, I think your definitions of 'prog' and all that seem quite well founded.............. and you've got just as much to say as the next guy around here.
The problem however of including an act like Swans is finding out just exactly where to put them(if indeed collabs would support the notion). Personally I put Swans in the same pot as Current 93, and while they're actually here under prog folk, it took a long time for folks to evaluate them.

Just for the record, I support the inclusion of Swans as well(Prog Related perhaps? One could always highlight an album like The Seer in a review and call it whatever one wishes to from post krautrock to psychedelic metal)

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Electrocuted View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 06:47
Has anybody had progressive sex, post sex or proto sex to 'The Seer'?
I personally couldn't find a difference in either, but I heard different intricacies on each listen/sex binge which makes it Prog for me. Headbanger
Progression doesn't happen unless it is new!
Einsetumadur View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 07:32
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hi there MaxSmile
Don't worry - you're not the only one who thinks The Seer is (some kind of) prog. Plus, reading your reviews, I think your definitions of 'prog' and all that seem quite well founded.............. and you've got just as much to say as the next guy around here.
The problem however of including an act like Swans is finding out just exactly where to put them(if indeed collabs would support the notion). Personally I put Swans in the same pot as Current 93, and while they're actually here under prog folk, it took a long time for folks to evaluate them.

Thank you for the clarifications Smile - it seemed to me the evaluation process stopped somewhere for no reason.

To me the solution is quite simple - and goes along well with your opinion, too. Simply because the given criteria basically allow a clear decision!

Prog Related:

7) Common sense - Nitpicking over the above listed criteria is not necessarily the correct way to evaluate a band for prog-related. Sometimes you just have to use some common sense and look at the big picture.

Exactly the kind of place where bands could go which clearly belong to this website, but which no-one really knows where to put, isn't it? Smile  In my opinion these sentences are a perfect tool to solve problems such as these.

Things would be so much easier if these categories were regarded as what they should be:  1. a means to split the admins'/collabs' maintenance work,   2. a way to simplify the band research for the PA readers. Imposing more meaning and relevance to these categories, frankly spoken, appears to me like futile pigeonholing. Wink

All in all each man in all men
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 07:52

Prog Related:

7) Common sense - Nitpicking over the above listed criteria is not necessarily the correct way to evaluate a band for prog-related. Sometimes you just have to use some common sense and look at the big picture.

Exactly the kind of place where bands could go which clearly belong to this website, but which no-one really knows where to put, isn't it? Smile  In my opinion these sentences are a perfect tool to solve problems such as these.

Things would be so much easier if these categories were regarded as what they should be:  1. a means to split the admins'/collabs' maintenance work,   2. a way to simplify the band research for the PA readers. Imposing more meaning and relevance to these categories, frankly spoken, appears to me like futile pigeonholing. Wink

That is precisely NOT what Note 7 means, it clearly states that it refers to the previous six critera and no other. Prog Related is a specific category with a specific connotation, it is NOT a dumping ground for bands that "no-one really knows where to put" - it is certainly NOT a place to put our/your favourite non-Prog bands. If the band is Prog they go in a Prog category and if they are not Prog they don't belong on this site unless we decide they deserve special mention in Prog Related due to some historical connection or relationship with Progressive Rock.
What?
VOTOMS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 11:06
I think Swans deserves more attention here.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 13:37
Originally posted by VOTOMS VOTOMS wrote:

I think Swans deserves more attention here.

Well, they have had four pages of this thread so far. Quite a lot of attention, methinks.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 13:59
I'd love to see them included, just because I want to see what all of you people write about them haha
Smurph View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 14:03
Originally posted by pianoman pianoman wrote:

I'd love to see them included, just because I want to see what all of you people write about them haha

What do you mean "you people"
That's racist ;)
pianoman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 14:40
I guess prog fans *are* kind of their own race...haha
Gordy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Folk/Eclectic/PSIKE/Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2013 at 18:25
"The Seer" is spectacular and inventive for sure, but I hope the PA powers that be take "Soundtracks for the Blind" into account, as it's a veritable post-rock album (its spiritual successor, Godspeed's "F#A#", followed a year later).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 7>