Forum Home Forum Home > Site News, Newbies, Help and Improvements > Report errors & omissions here
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Duplicated entries

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 21:00
^ Thanks, Bartek, will report it to Admins.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 04:53
^ I've already contacted Greg about it (yesterday).

Edited by projeKct - April 29 2022 at 05:00
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote octopus-4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2022 at 23:10
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=30779
http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=30780

Both have ratings
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2022 at 05:15
^ Thanks Luka,

Ratings are less of a problem than reviews (and in this case, the ratings are from the same users, thus really no problem), so 30779 will be deleted soon by an admin.

Edited by projeKct - May 02 2022 at 05:15
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 14:38
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 14:47
Originally posted by projeKct projeKct wrote:

http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=75573

I think we must decide if we list this split release under Iceburn or Zu.

how about keeping both on each artist page?

projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 15:28
^ Well, we want to avoid duplicate entries because reviewers would get confused as to which one they should review.

I don't know about the exact PA policy about split-releases, but if I remember correctly it's something like: if there are two artists listed on the front cover, the first one should be used as the "primary" artist.

Maybe Eugene knows better about this policy?
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2022 at 15:43

^ Well, we want to avoid duplicate entries because reviewers would get confused as to which one they should review.

I don't know about the exact PA policy about split-releases, but if I remember correctly it's something like: if there are two artists listed on the front cover, the first one should be used as the "primary" artist.

I imagine, people will review the band they like the most on a split, that's where they start. 
There isn't a primary artist on a split. It's not like one artist is more important than the other one(s). 

If you see them as duplicates, just get rid of one of them i guess. 
If you don't see them as duplicates, keep them both on their artist pages. 
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2022 at 00:39
I have always thought it is silly of PA to not allow splits on the pages of both artists represented on the split (if both are in PA). The ONLY reason I can see is that both will receive reviews and ratings independent of each other - but given it is highly unlikely a split release would ever enter the PA charts (which is pretty much the only reason why duplication is an issue), then I don’t see a problem at all in this.

As seems often to be the case in my writings in this thread, I tend to agree with Cristi. But, again like Cristi, I’m really not worried about it if you remove one of the “duplicated” entries. I think it is silly and wrong to do so, but I’m not going to try and stop you.

I would point out though, that relying on what the policy has always been is not necessarily always the best route to take. Throughout history, mankind has become better by recognising that what was once policy and the norm is not necessarily fair or right.

projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2022 at 05:16
^ I kind of agree with you guys, but I think we should at least mention the duplication on both album pages. Something like:

Note: Also listed under http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=75574.

Would be that OK? Maybe you can suggest a better sentence? Thanks!
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2022 at 06:01

^ I kind of agree with you guys, but I think we should at least mention the duplication on both album pages. Something like:

Honestly, this is what I have always wished PA had done. It is the perfect solution, in my opinion, to a problem that need not exist.

The problem with keeping a split release under only one of the artists is not just that split releases are not intended to have a “main” artist, but that for a database like PA, someone looking to find out the discography of a band could easily miss a release (or moreJ because they are listed only on another artist’s page.

Your sentence/wording is fine. 👍🏻

Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2022 at 06:05

That's fine. Thumbs Up
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2022 at 15:47
^ Thank you both for your feedback. Done.
NotAProghead View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NotAProghead Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2022 at 16:18
^^^^ Regarding the posts above, I think it's a good solution to have splits on both artists' pages with notes on both. Clap I can't suggest anything better.

Formally splits might belong to Various artists, but I guess nobody would like this because in this case it will be hard to find splits and, as a result, sooner or later someone will add these albums to one of the bands' pages (or both) and in the end we'll get "triplications" instead of duplications.

If memory serves me well, it's rather a kind of an unwritten rule than a policy, but it is apllied to mutual projects with all artists listed in the title involved, for example like this one.
Obviously splits are different beasts.
Who are you and who am I to say we know the reason why... (D. Gilmour)
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2022 at 10:37
Hi, I just spotted an incomplete band entry, with no name, recently added:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=12185

There's a bio in there which indicates the band Iceburn, but the band is added in the next entry (12186).

Edited by Tuzvihar - June 09 2022 at 10:38
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2022 at 10:50
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

Hi, I just spotted an incomplete band entry, with no name, recently added:

http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=12185

There's a bio in there which indicates the band Iceburn, but the band is added in the next entry (12186).

I don't know what you are seeing (or how), but it's this band page  
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2022 at 11:05
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
projeKct View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Errors & Omissions Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote projeKct Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2022 at 11:55
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2022 at 12:05
Yes, I first noticed the blank space in the New Artists list.

Edited by Tuzvihar - June 09 2022 at 12:05

Charles Bukowski
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2022 at 12:13
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

This entry: http://www.progarchives.com/artist.asp?id=12185.

sorry about that, it shouldn't have registered in any way. 
An admin will have to delete that. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4546474849 51>