Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - What albums did you listen to today?...continued
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What albums did you listen to today?...continued

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 525>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 3.33  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 07:36
Originally posted by ALotOfBottle ALotOfBottle wrote:

Originally posted by Magnum Vaeltaja Magnum Vaeltaja wrote:

Aaayyyyyyyyy! Always glad to see some love for that album. Thumbs Up After dozens and dozens of listens I always manage to find something new to appreciate whenever I put it on. 

Get hyped, because apparently Bubu is set to have a new full length album out within the next year, and check out their EP Replandor if you haven't; not quite as perfect as Anabelas, but still excellent!

It's outstanding! I can't wait for their new album! I am yet to check out their EP, though! But writing about Bubu, I knew you would show up. Wink Really, such a great band. I liked it for the very same reason Henry Cow's debut is one of my favorites of all time. If you don't know it, check it out! You might just like it!

I have yet to enter the world of the sock, but Legend is very high up on my musical to-do list. Now that you mention it, I'll probably listen to it later today. I will report back shortly!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Finnforest View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 08:21
Heart - Passionworks
First Aid Kit - Stay Gold
Stevie Nicks - Enchanted
Television - Marquee Moon
Gentle Giant - The Power and the Glory

DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 09:50
Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
Black Sabbath - Black Sabbath
Camel - On the Road 1972
Soft Machine - Third (Disc 2)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 09:58
Originally posted by DeadSouls DeadSouls wrote:

Brian Eno - Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)

I have a re-interpretation of this album by different people, interesting album....I don't know if I've ever met anyone else who's heard it.  Eno liked it very much.  You can find the tracks on YouTube if interested in hearing. 

DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 10:18
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

I have a re-interpretation of this album by different people, interesting album....I don't know if I've ever met anyone else who's heard it.  Eno liked it very much.  You can find the tracks on YouTube if interested in hearing.

I'm listening to it right now. Sounds great! Thanks for the recommendation. Big smile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Finnforest Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 10:41
You're very welcome, Jose....glad you like it.  I need to play again too, its been a long time.  In the liner notes Eno says he was "moved" by it and that it had a "powerful effect" on him.  It was released on CD in 2004.

ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 13:14
Neu! - Neu! '75. This is my second favorite Neu! album after their debut (but then again these are the only two "to like"). It has everything I love about this band, they definitely think out of the box here. The addition of piano is some places gives fantastic results. Those calm, meditative, laidback tracks are definitely my favorites, but those proto-post-punk experiments (quite successful) provide excellent contrast!
Laurent Thibault - Mais On Ne Peut Pas Rκver Tout Le Temp. This is an album that is held in very high regard here on PA. I thought it's great and that it was a very original take on zeuhl - very feminine, diverse, smooth. I don't feel, though, like I was in the right mood, sadly... And now I feel like a kid that read a book it wasn't capable of fully comprehending at a too early age. See me there? Still, amazing album. Definitely putting this on my iPod, when I go to London in a few days.
Peter Frohmader/Nekropolis - Nekropolis 2. Nekropolis, Nekropolis, Nekropolis... I feel wrong for yapping about Nekropolis and Peter Frohmader all the time now. Anyway, this is an oustanding continuation of Musik Aus Dem Schattenreich. It still retains that ambient quality, but has some other, great touches - Fender Rhodes and more pronounced bass playing (often solo).
Zao - Osiris. I like this one better than their first album actually. Although that beautiful-sounding singer is gone, the band still retains the zeuhly character, however there is more here! It has the sort of sophistication that I like. Numerous odd time signatures, rapid jazz-rock jams, and... Fender Rhodes Heart. Zao are great!!!
Klaus Schulze - Body Love Vol. 2. Once again, Nico, thanks for your review and especially your recommendation for volume 2. Believe it or not, I seem to like this one more than volume 1. Now, it might be traced back to my attitude and overall mood, but, anyway, this one sounds more original and innovative. Very fresh and unique from Klaus' albums that I've listened to. I read about the movie Body Love to give me a little bit of background context and man... 70's were darn crazy. Don't ask me to tell you what the film is about...
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2016 at 21:21
Manuel Gottsching and Michael Hoenig - Early Water.
JK Flesh - Nothing Is Free.
Pink Floyd - The Wall.
Carly Rae Jepsen - Emotion.
Clock DVA - Horology (Radiophonic Dvations 2 disc).
Placebo - Live In Chile (bonus disc from the Chilean special edition of the Meds album).
Githead - Art Pop.
Coil - The Remote Viewer.
Pink Floyd - Obscured By Clouds.

Edited by King Only - August 05 2016 at 21:23
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 00:17
Pulp - "His 'n' Hers"
KingCrInuYasha View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KingCrInuYasha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 00:23
Stormwatch by Jethro Tull. Good album, but geez, that three song stretch at the end ("Dun Ringill" - "Flying Dutchman" - "Elegy") always gets me emotionally.
He looks at this world and wants it all... so he strikes, like Thunderball!
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LearsFool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 00:26
Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

Pulp - "His 'n' Hers"

Love that album to death. What do you think of it?
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie-Byrd-Brother Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 01:11
Cluster – Cluster II
Heldon – Un Reve Sans Consequence Speciale (was NOT in the mood for this clanging noisefest, well the first track anyway)
Trace – s/t
Siddhartha – Weltschmerz
Headspace – All That You Fear Is Gone
Arena – Pride
Flamborough Head – Unspoken Whisper
Kitaro – Ten Kai
Heldon - Electronique Guerilla
Ash Ra Tempel - Schwingungen
Light Year – Reveal the Fantastic (such a tragedy this album/band is not on the Archives)
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TeleStrat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 01:53
Friday...

Cruces - Cruces
Dead Meadow - Shivering King And Others
Gypsy Sun Revival - Gypsy Sun Revival
Smoke Healer - Smoke Healer
Sophie's Earthquake - The flood 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 06:53
My TT treated me to the following LP's :
BI KYO RAN - s/t
BRAND X - Livestock
PETER HAMMILL - pH7
WOBBLER - Afterglow
PAR LINDH PROJECT - Gothic Impressions
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Magnum Vaeltaja Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 08:02
Yesterday:

Henry Cow - Legend
Frank Zappa - The Grand Wazoo
Cherry Five - Cherry Five

All three I listened to for the first time. From my initial impressions I'd say that I like Cherry Five the most, but all three are now on my to-buy list. Thanks Tymon for encouraging me to try out Henry Cow!
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 08:11
^LegEnd has not fully charmed you yet? Tongue No worries, I didn't like it at first and now it's one of my favorites of all time. Good move to buy it, I betcha you will love it with all your heart someday. I'd say that the compositional skill and musicianship is right up there with your beloved Bubu.

Edited by ALotOfBottle - August 06 2016 at 08:15
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 09:14
Black Sabbath: Greatest Hits
New Order - Movement (Collector's Edition)
John Zorn - The Dreamers
John Zorn - O'o
Soft Machine Legacy - Steam
King Only View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote King Only Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 12:31
Sting - Bring On The Night.
The Future Sound Of London - Environments 4.
Sun Kil Moon - Ghosts Of The Great Highway (6 track bonus CD).
Download - III Steps Forward.
Love And Rockets - Earth Sun Moon.
Robert Plant and Jimmy Page - Live In San Jose 1995 (bootleg).

Edited by King Only - August 06 2016 at 12:33
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 06 2016 at 12:58
Zao - Shekina Although these Zao albums are respectivelly getting a lot less zeuhly and more fusion-oriented, therefore, at times, less original-sounding, they are getting much better in my opinion. This one was really good! It takes off where the previous album left. At times, the party gets a bit Canterburian even. Tight musicianship, intricate arrangements, well-thought compositions - that's what I love.
Tangerine Dream - Sorcerers This is very good. This is as good as their most acclaimed studio albums, in my mind. Although I have not watched the film Sorcerers, I've read the main plot, and with only that in mind, I feel how well their music corresponds with the theme. What I particularly like about this one and other TD albums in general is how they always come up with innovative sequencer lines or build great, innovative textures around less-innovative lines.
Peter Frohmader/Nekropolis - Cultes Des Goules, The Ballet of Death Sorry, everyone, one more Peter Frohmader album. This one was different from its predecessors, yet no less enjoyable. We can hear Frohmader experimenting with (then fresh and new) drum machines, which despite sounding just a bit dated, corespond with slowly moving soundscapes. Less dark, still phenomenal. Recommended!
Marion Brown - Afternoon of Georgia Faun Although free jazz stands in opposition to a good most of musical ideas I believe in, it is surprisingly close to my heart and that of many of my musical idols, to whose ideas, free jazz theoretically also stood in opposition to (that's one hell of a sentence). This is free jazz of the highest order. It really isn't to heavy on your thoughts, making it a bit more open to interpretation and giving the listener space for contemplation. Awesome! And it has Chick Corea and Anthony Braxton on it! Approve
Arachnoid - Arachnoid I've been away from symphonic prog recently, so when I saw this one had that label on it, plus it was very zeuhl-infused, I thought I would give it a listen. I was not disappointed by any means, but was not blown away or satisfied, either. These guys seem to put too much of effort on being dark, introducing evil harmonies etc., therefore at times sounding a bit phoney and unnatural. Still, a pretty good album and it had some really good moments.
Michael Hoenig -Departure From the Northern Wasteland I enjoyed this album immensly when I've first listened to it. This time, that I was already familiar with it, more or less, I was not blown away once more. Still, I love this album and think it's one of the best on its shelf (which is top shelf). In the other thread, I've read that Hoenig had every cable of his taped with a different color and was a perfectionist - that is very detectable on here.
Sinoia Caves - Beyond the Black Rainbow OST Some modern music! This is so excellent! And it makes me smile that there are still young artists who are still expanding borders of the Berlin School in keeping with its tradtitions. Furthermore, these guys have a very good sound - smooth, analog, I'm sure they use vintage equipment (they even have some pics on their Facebook page). This is such a good album, I can't believe it. Sam, have you listened to it? You will probably like it very much. "1966 - Let The New Age Of Enlightenment Begin" is so refreshing!

This was my day. Smile
Sorry for that lengthy post, I can never seem to cut the chase when discussing things I like. Tongue
Ozark Soundscape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ozark Soundscape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 07 2016 at 01:33
The Kinks - "Are the Village Green Preservation Society"

Originally posted by LearsFool LearsFool wrote:

Originally posted by Ozark Soundscape Ozark Soundscape wrote:

Pulp - "His 'n' Hers"

Love that album to death. What do you think of it?
It was a damn good first listen. Most were quite good, some were just okay, and some were really impressive (Babies and First Time, especially)! It's pretty fun, and weird and dark, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 525>