Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Alan Parsons Project vs Steely Dan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
32 [39.02%]
46 [56.10%]
2 [2.44%]
2 [2.44%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tdfloyd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 29 2019 at 17:43
I took a real long time for me to warm up to SD, as I thought they were bland.  I was always waiting for someone to let lose on keys or especially guitar, but they never did.  APP always had a great sound and excellent production.  APP wins here.  Surprised they are getting crushed in the poll. 
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 09:59
Steely Dan's got this one!
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 11:32
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

What it takes a lot of is luck and knowledge of the music biz and the sensibilities of various groups of people, and more things which are independent of the things that should inform one's appreciation of an artist. In other words, their success makes them special as far as models of how to navigate the music industry, but it doesn't make them special as artists, which is what I assumed we were trying to evaluate here.

Respect of other musicians is not about luck. I mean, do you consider Holdsworth a particularly lucky musician? You can get the first two - commercial success and critical acclaim - with luck and connections but the respect of your peers has to be earned.
You're right about that. But then your comment disqualifies success and critical acclaim as reliable measurements of quality, so they are really irrelevant to the conversation. And as to the authority of musicians in this equation... that's a complicated subject.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 30 2019 at 17:05

What it takes a lot of is luck and knowledge of the music biz and the sensibilities of various groups of people, and more things which are independent of the things that should inform one's appreciation of an artist. In other words, their success makes them special as far as models of how to navigate the music industry, but it doesn't make them special as artists, which is what I assumed we were trying to evaluate here.

Respect of other musicians is not about luck. I mean, do you consider Holdsworth a particularly lucky musician? You can get the first two - commercial success and critical acclaim - with luck and connections but the respect of your peers has to be earned.
You're right about that. But then your comment disqualifies success and critical acclaim as reliable measurements of quality, so they are really irrelevant to the conversation. And as to the authority of musicians in this equation... that's a complicated subject.

I didn't disqualify them. That's your inference. I only conceded that sometimes the accruing of commercial success and critical acclaim may have more to do with luck. Doesn't mean it is true in all cases. What is evaluation of artists anyway? It is not an objective concept. A snob may dismiss somebody who is talented but prefers to write short songs. Doesn't make him not talented or not deserving of success.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 06:32

I didn't disqualify them. That's your inference. I only conceded that sometimes the accruing of commercial success and critical acclaim may have more to do with luck. Doesn't mean it is true in all cases. What is evaluation of artists anyway? It is not an objective concept. A snob may dismiss somebody who is talented but prefers to write short songs. Doesn't make him not talented or not deserving of success.
Oh, I totally believe it's subjective, but using success, acclaim, and the respect of peers to "measure" quality is necessarily an attempt to make an objective judgement (which is futile). For micky's subjective judgement, none of these qualities need be invoked. Further, when I say you disqualify the two of those qualities, the rest of the sentence is key: "as reliable measures of quality." If there is often a cause other than musical quality (such as luck, business acumen, social status, etc.), then no reliable inference of quality can be made from an artist's success and acclaim. In short, just say that you like the band and why, and not that other people like them, as if that means anything.

Edited by Polymorphia - January 31 2019 at 06:34
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:37

micky can speak for himself but one need not derive one's own subjective preference for a band from any of the above indeed and that is not the point. The point is simply that it's rare for a band to earn all three. You can isolate and explain away one of them but all three together is rarely dumb luck. That is probably what micky was trying to say.

Oh, I totally believe it's subjective, but using success, acclaim, and the respect of peers to "measure" quality is necessarily an attempt to make an objective judgement (which is futile). For micky's subjective judgement, none of these qualities need be invoked. Further, when I say you disqualify the two of those qualities, the rest of the sentence is key: "as reliable measures of quality." If there is often a cause other than musical quality (such as luck, business acumen, social status, etc.), then no reliable inference of quality can be made from an artist's success and acclaim. In short, just say that you like the band and why, and not that other people like them, as if that means anything.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:50
Definitely The Alan Parsons Project for me. I Robot was a favourite of mine as a child, and it remains one of my favourite albums. Tales of Mystery and Imagination is great. I like Pyramid a lot. Other music such as "Lucifer" has become a part of my DNA....
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 10:51
With the exception of Gaucho, Steely Dan's preceding albums rule here. The APP's work, sans its first few albums, couldn't be more irrelevant if Donny Osmond provided the vocals.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 12:21
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

With the exception of Gaucho, Steely Dan's preceding albums rule here. The APP's work, sans its first few albums, couldn't be more irrelevant if Donny Osmond provided the vocals.

So up to and including Pyramid or later? Or just the first two? 
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 14:52
^I admire the first two mostly with Pyramid, although not terrible, never really lighting my fire. I can gladly suggest what to do with the rest of them (though The Turn of a Friendly Card does slight Pyramid in the P.A. discography by a few points).

Edited by Rednight - January 31 2019 at 14:52
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 15:14

LOL
That about sums it all up......
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 31 2019 at 15:58

^I admire the first two mostly with Pyramid, although not terrible, never really lighting my fire. I can gladly suggest what to do with the rest of them (though The Turn of a Friendly Card does slight Pyramid in the P.A. discography by a few points).

Those who have a low tolerance for pop probably would not like much of their stuff from the eighties. LOL I guess maybe pyramid is sort of their And then there were three with Turn of a Friendly Card being their Duke. ;)
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2023 at 17:34
Four years later, and "the Dan's" seemingly insurmountable lead has shrunk to 36-25.

To my dying day, I will never understand the appeal of Steely Dan. Yes, they had a lot of catchy hits, but their ultra-devoted following just utterly mystifies me. If there's one quality that sets them apart from every other band of their time, it was the smug, SELF-CONSCIOUSNESS that permeated everything they ever did. It was almost as if they were continuously, yet implicitly saying, "Aren't we cool? Your college professors have approved of our lyrics/attitude/swagger, so digging our music affirms your intelligence. And don't forget how subversive we are!"

The Alan Parsons Project, while far from perfect, created something far more significant and meaningful over their 10 (11, if you count Freudiana) albums. Like Steely Dan, they had their share of catchy hits and "lighter" moments. Yet they did so without becoming anyone's critical darlings while marching to the beat of their own drummer. Because of Parsons's engineering work on Dark Side of the Moon, the Project were often compared to Pink Floyd. That's stretching it just a bit, but maybe Pink Floyd without the anger and contempt. This comes from someone who considers Stereotomy (1986) to be their best album.
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 01:35
This imho was an easy one to choose from. Alan Parsons Project by far.
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 02:25
Originally posted by geekfreak geekfreak wrote:

Same here! Have Steely Dan ever recorded a song as good as this? No, Don't Answer Me. Tongue

geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 03:09
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Same here! Have Steely Dan ever recorded a song as good as this? No, Don't Answer Me. Tongue

I’m not really answering you but 😂 great choice

Music Is Live

<
Grumpyprogfan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Grumpyprogfan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 05:31
Have we run out poll options that a four year old thread needs to be revisited?
Jared View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jared Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 06:28
APP very definitely...
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 08:18
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

Have we run out poll options that a four year old thread needs to be revisited?

Music Is Live

<
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2023 at 09:32
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

Steely Dan is the best of both (or several) worlds. You get spectacular jazz fusion with great grooves performed by top notch players, great songs and storytelling... everything you can ask for. Don't Answer Me is very nice and pleasant but also a dime a dozen adult contemporary-pap*. Really nowhere near the artistic level of Steely Dan's exceptional run of classics 1972-1980.

*Alan Parsons Project has stronger material though.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>