Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prog inspired by Books and Stories

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:36
Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Originally posted by Progosopher Progosopher wrote:

Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Two of the most obvious ones I can think of are Camel's Music Inspired by The Snow Goose (inspired by Paul Gallico's novella of Dunkirk) and Dust and Dreams (inspired by Steinbeck's The Grapes of Wrath).

I recommend reading The Snow Goose. Beautifully told story.

Absolutely. There is also a truly beautiful film starring Jenny Agutter and Richard Harris, but it cannot be shown or sold on DVD because Gallico vetoed this.
If you haven't read the book, the sheer genius of Camel's album will never be fully apparent.

I would love to see that movie.

There is a poor quality version on YT

Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:52
The Alan Parsons Project's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" album, inspired by Edgar Allan Poe, unless someone's already mentioned it. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - July 02 2020 at 14:52
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 02 2020 at 14:58
Originally posted by Neu!mann Neu!mann wrote:

The Swedish band Ritual has based a lot of its music around Tove Jansson's Moomin books.

Read my mind!!! "A Dangerous Journey" being the centerpiece of The Hemulic Volunteer Band.
The Prog Corner
TheH View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 09:32
See the thread About "Lovecraftian" Music all inspired by H.P. Lovecrafts books.
Neu!mann View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neu!mann Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 09:34
Originally posted by TheH TheH wrote:

See the thread About "Lovecraftian" Music all inspired by H.P. Lovecrafts books.

Iä! Iä!
"we can change the world without anyone noticing the difference" - Franco Falsini
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 09:38
Hi,

So, the Rime of the Ancient Mariner can't count?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 10:10
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Hi,

Only if Samuel Coleridge played an electric guitar or mellotron. Unfortunately, old Sam died about 50 years before residential electric power transmission came into vogue.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 10:52
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Hi,

Only if Samuel Coleridge played an electric guitar or mellotron. Unfortunately, old Sam died about 50 years before residential electric power transmission came into vogue.

Hi,

Will tell David Bedford that ... I'm sure he will be sad about your words. It wasn't great, but had some very nice music.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 19:32

Bo Hansson - Lord Of The Rings

Hansson, Bo - Music Inspired By Lord Of The Rings - Amazon.com Music

Edited by dr wu23 - July 03 2020 at 19:35
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 20:34

Hi,

Hi,

Will tell David Bedford that ... I'm sure he will be sad about your words. It wasn't great, but had some very nice music.

Ummm...I haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about. Most people don't type random thoughts disassociated with the conversation like you are apt to do. So, when you refer to a Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem written in 1797, I am immediately supposed to say, "A-HA! David Bedford!" LOL

Edited by The Dark Elf - July 03 2020 at 20:34
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 21:24

Hi,

Iron Maiden are only considered prog related on here so technically no they wouldn't. 
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 03 2020 at 21:26
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

The Alan Parsons Project's "Tales of Mystery and Imagination" album, inspired by Edgar Allan Poe, unless someone's already mentioned it. Smile

I'm pretty sure I did way early on.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 13:37

Ummm...I haven't the slightest idea what you are talking about. Most people don't type random thoughts disassociated with the conversation like you are apt to do. So, when you refer to a Samuel Taylor Coleridge poem written in 1797, I am immediately supposed to say, "A-HA! David Bedford!" LOL

Hi,

No ... but you are intelligent enough to go check it out and find out what I said ... and David Bedford is not exactly a shmoe$hit artist ... doing the same beat rock music as everyone else for the benefit of folks that are not interested in music and its history or knowledge.

Show your intelligence ... I know you have it, and provide a lot of far out detail and material in this board ... but your lack of listening knowledge to the side stuff around this music, and all the arts related to it, is suddenly coming alive ... too many rock music folks think that the musicians are stupid and don't know any other arts, or seen any of it! And you know that's just youth innocence ... but 20/30/40 years later, it is sad, my friend ... very sad!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 14:47

Hi,

No ... but you are intelligent enough to go check it out and find out what I said ... and David Bedford is not exactly a shmoe$hit artist ... doing the same beat rock music as everyone else for the benefit of folks that are not interested in music and its history or knowledge.

Show your intelligence ... I know you have it, and provide a lot of far out detail and material in this board ... but your lack of listening knowledge to the side stuff around this music, and all the arts related to it, is suddenly coming alive ... too many rock music folks think that the musicians are stupid and don't know any other arts, or seen any of it! And you know that's just youth innocence ... but 20/30/40 years later, it is sad, my friend ... very sad!
It is incumbent on the poster to make sense. You made no sense. You posted:

That's it. I have read Coleridge's work numerous times in my life, and without some sort of friggin' clue as to what you were referring to, other than the poem itself, you come off in your usual utterly vacuous manner. Usually, a perhaps with a whit of sense and all synapses firing in unison would make reference to both David Bedford and Coleridge's poem in a single sentence -- because "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" does not automatically spring David Bedford to mind.

It's rather simple. Here's a tutorial for imbeciles:

How about (band or performer's) version of (title and author)?

Dolt.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 20:47

Dolt.

Hi,

Yes Basil of FT ... the day that you show your appreciation for something you will be in a wooden box!

I would think that the mention would suggest that someone else did the story in a different perspective, but you have to be spoon fed the information to? Dude, that was kindergarten, not your age now!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 04 2020 at 23:15

Dolt.

Hi,

Yes Basil of FT ... the day that you show your appreciation for something you will be in a wooden box!

I would think that the mention would suggest that someone else did the story in a different perspective, but you have to be spoon fed the information to? Dude, that was kindergarten, not your age now!

Look, I'm sorry you dropped too much acid in Cali back in the 1960s and your cognitive processes no longer operate in a manner in which you can speak intelligibly, but mentioning without any other reference "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner", David Bedford isn't even the 3rd or 4th adaptation that comes to mind.

Someone already mentioned the Iron Maiden version from Powerslave, and there are also direct rock allusions to Coleridge's repeating metaphor of an "albatross" being a psychological weight, such as the poem's stanza:

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the Albatross
About my neck was hung.

These allusions can be found in Peter Green's "Albatross" (and the album itself Pious Bird of Good Omen),
and Pink Floyd's "Echoes", which is a retelling of "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner". 

So no, your dementia praecox-addled mention of an 18th century poem does not immediately lead to David
Bedford. Now go back to inhaling paint fumes or whatever it is you do to maintain your psychedelic stupor.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 08:30

So no, your dementia praecox-addled mention of an 18th century poem does not immediately lead to David
Bedford. Now go back to inhaling paint fumes or whatever it is you do to maintain your psychedelic stupor.

Hi,

Yes Basil!
www.pedrosena.com
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 09:49
ahhh... my day is now complete...  next to Paul and Cristi.. I'd most love to get Pedro and Greg a room for a weekend and .. goddamn right I'd videotape it and share for all to enjoy
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
AlanB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlanB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2020 at 14:10
Neal Morse Band - The Similitude of a Dream and The Great Adventure, both inspired by Bunyan's Pilgrim's Progress. After the Fire also did a song based on said book on their (only) prog album, they managed it in 10 minutes rather than the two double CDs that Neal Morse needed!

Lord of the Rings - Mostly Autumn did an album and there's The White Rider from Camel's Mirage album. Also Galadriel by Barclay James Harvest.

Rick Wakeman did Journey To The Centre Of The Earth and 1984.

And if prog-related is allowed, Lady Jay by Wishbone Ash is inspired by a Dartmoor folk legend.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345