0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 17:32
This one works for me, the originally posted one not.
Snicolette View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 17:36
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Oh, thank you.  I'm not sure if Spotify would have the same problem for Lorenzo or not, here is a spotify link, just in case.  https://open.spotify.com/search/H%20P%20Lovecraft%20The%20White%20Ship
"Into every rain, a little life must fall." ~Tom Rapp
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 17:42
Originally posted by Hrychu Hrychu wrote:

Kind of a mournful tune, this one also sounds a bit like a folk tune to me, perhaps?  Very much in an early-as-pop-was-turning-more-psych mode.  Found the lyrics, it’s even more pretty knowing what they are singing about.  😊 

TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:12
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Originally posted by TCat TCat wrote:

I think I'll put up The Moving Sidewalks.

Are you sure?Wink

My fave is the song by The Hollywood Persuaders.

No I'm not sure actually.  I was debating that one but only got Nicki's valuable feedback and she already knows that one, so I wasn't sure which one resonated with everyone else. 

Screw it.  Go ahead and put up The Hollywood Persuaders then.

Edited by TCat - September 18 2020 at 18:15

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:15
What a great batch of songs.....wow....many I know well and own , others are new to me but all wonderful things from the 60's.....I can't even decide which one of mine to nominate.
Listening to 'Downtown' by Clark.....man does that bring back memories when I was young and my brother (now gone and I miss him dearly...) bought the 45 for us to play.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 18:42
It's been a great listen. I haven't had any time to really write down stuff and comment. I am not sure what my song will be. I'll think about it, but I have some other things going on right now. If I don't post a nomination by the morning, I don't want to hold up the poll, so I give Lorenzo permission to choose one for me.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 21:20
Originally posted by mathman0806 mathman0806 wrote:

It's been a great listen. I haven't had any time to really write down stuff and comment. I am not sure what my song will be. I'll think about it, but I have some other things going on right now. If I don't post a nomination by the morning, I don't want to hold up the poll, so I give Lorenzo permission to choose one for me.

Count to five ...and think about it.
Wink
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 21:22
Well....I'll nominate The Electric Prunes- I Had Too Much To Dream.....an iconic peace from the 60's.

Cool

Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 21:27
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Count to five ...and think about it.
Wink
LOL
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 18 2020 at 21:31

Well....I'll nominate The Electric Prunes- I Had Too Much To Dream.....an iconic peace from the 60's.

Cool

Love that, even though this, and some others are out of competition for me with my rule of previous knowledge, not just yours.  It's an iconic piece of the time. I threw some out I was contemplating because I thought people might be too familiar, but maybe not, that 10 year divide makes a big difference in what people (even here!) might have been exposed to.
Also, an aside, sorry about the loss of your brother, that you've mentioned a few times.  We carry those we've loved forward in our remembrances of them, in our hearts and memories.  I've got a few ghosts too, as does anyone who is lucky enough to live a full life.  May he greet you on the other side when it's your time.Hug
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 02:55
As said before, regarding this decade I listen more to other realms of music. Many of the songs posted here are indeed quite characteristic but they leave me rather underwhelmed. It is not very surprising, I guess, that many of the suggestions tend to the psychedelia of this period, and even regarding psychedelia I prefer what the 70s brought us (with some exceptions amongst which It's a Beautiful Day). So, I won't comment on each and every song but I will highlight some that stood out for me in some way or another:

Gino Paoli's Sassi is a beautiful song but I find his interpretation a bit depressing (I think I heard other versions of this one and I'm still digging in my head to find in which film this song was used...).
Neil Young & the Crazy Horse: great album and a great song; I especially like the violin on this and his singing (I'm less fan of his high pitched singing...). Bonzo Dog, impossible not to laugh. The Bliss song is quite nice too, but I prefer Hotel Hell by Eric Burdon and The Animals - great track this one.
The next one that stood out for me is Chess Fever, yes of course because of that great organ riff. I'm quite surprised by Russell Morris, maybe not outstanding, but especially the first song has some magic over it. Finding some magic again with the Velvet Underground's All Tomorrow's Parties, with Fairport Convention and Crosby, Stills and Nash (in general terms, these three, with It's a Beautiful Day are high-points of this decade to me - Beatles being out of league).
The next that grabbed my attention were The Steve Miller Band, The Young Flowers (wah wah is cool), Ken Nordine (we want more!) and The Stooges, of course.
The rock-'n-roll proto-punk and proto-ska of The Sonics was quite surprising, despite that it's not much my "thing".

But in the end, only three songs that really stand out and that I personally find the most interesting of this batch: Delia Derbyshire's Pot au feu, Galatea's Guitar by Gabor Szabo and Carlos Paredes Variations!

Edited by suitkees - September 19 2020 at 05:38

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
suitkees View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suitkees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 03:26
Regarding my nomination, if I wanted to collect some votes, I should probably nominate It's a Beautiful Day, but I'm going to interrupt the rock 'n roll and psychedelia with: Tom Dissevelt - Intersection (aka Twilight Ozone - 1961)

This is an exemple of the electroacoustic (or musique concrète) experimentations, here combined with a jazz instrumentation, that happened here and there in the world. Synthesizers didn't exist yet so these sounds were produced in laboratories by manipulating prerecorded sounds ( electronic and/or tape manipulation) or by electronically generating sounds. In some countries these laboratories were linked to broadcasting corporations: especially the WDR in Germany (Köln), the BBC in Great Britain (where Delia Derbyshire did her pioneering work), Pierre Henry and Pierre Schaeffer a.o. with the RTF in France. In the USA the Columbia-Princeton Electronic Music Center allowed this kind of pioneering work.
In the Netherlands it was the Philips company that created such a laboratory that gave way to the electroacoustic works of Dick Raaijmakers (aka Kid Baltan) and Tom Dissevelt.

These electronic music pioneers influenced some contemporary composers (like Varèse, Stockhausen, Xenakis, Reich and others that I like to listen to and who incorporated electroacoustic elements in their compositions) but they also had a huge influence on the electronic and industrial music that evolved in the 70s, 80s and beyond. Much of their work was very experimental and only for the "happy few", but - as the exemples put up here in this thread show - some also tried to blend it into modern and popular music.

The razamataz is a pain in the bum
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 03:52

Oh, well, mathman, we can wait for you until the evening.

Anyway, from your selection I love 1969 by the Stooges but even Psychotic Reaction is very good.
"Happiness is real only when shared"
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 03:54

Hard to choose against Delia who was a true pioneer... but Gabor Szabo's Galatea's Guitar got so nice comments that I pick that one. Thanks to anyone who helped with the decision!

Good choice,  it is my favorite.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 03:59

Thumbs Up
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 04:18
I started putting the songs chosen in the poll by looking at your latest posts. Excuse me if I will not respect the order in which you intervened in the thread but I struggle to go back and forth in the pages.

Edited by jamesbaldwin - September 19 2020 at 04:20
mathman0806 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mathman0806 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 06:27
Originally posted by jamesbaldwin jamesbaldwin wrote:

Oh, well, mathman, we can wait for you until the evening.

Anyway, from your selection I love 1969 by the Stooges but even Psychotic Reaction is very good.

Thanks. I wasn't sure that I'd be able to get on this morning, but here I am. I was between "Ue O Muite Arukou" (going by it's proper title) and "1969", so I'll go with "1969". 
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 09:14
I nominate - Bliss - Cry For Love 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 10:06
Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Cool

Love that, even though this, and some others are out of competition for me with my rule of previous knowledge, not just yours.  It's an iconic piece of the time. I threw some out I was contemplating because I thought people might be too familiar, but maybe not, that 10 year divide makes a big difference in what people (even here!) might have been exposed to.
Also, an aside, sorry about the loss of your brother, that you've mentioned a few times.  We carry those we've loved forward in our remembrances of them, in our hearts and memories.  I've got a few ghosts too, as does anyone who is lucky enough to live a full life.  May he greet you on the other side when it's your time.Hug
Thanks for the nice thoughts....Smile
I was not aware we were not supposed to vote for songs we knew..or is that just 'your rule'?
I know 24 of the tracks posted...not sure which will end up being nominated from those.

Edited by dr wu23 - September 19 2020 at 10:08
Haquin
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snicolette Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 19 2020 at 10:44

Originally posted by Snicolette Snicolette wrote:

Cool

Thanks for the nice thoughts....Smile
I was not aware we were not supposed to vote for songs we knew..or is that just 'your rule'?
I know 24 of the tracks posted...not sure which will end up being nominated from those.
  Just my rule, makes it a little easier on me and I like to learn about new music (to me).  Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>