Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Get The Word Out
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

My New Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 37>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 04:48
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Steve, I enjoyed the VM&J review. While not strictly prog, I enjoyed your take on this outside genre and it got me interested. Any chance of you doing a few non prog reviews in future. I'd love to read your take on an artist like Saxon. Wink

Thanks Steve. In fact, it was the VM&J album which got me to set up the website in the first place. I had another of my occasional contretemps with PA Admin over them refusing to add them to the site. One of the great and the good suggested very kindly that I take my reviewing business elsewhere if I wanted to review them. So I did. He did me a huge favour by doing so, and I am extremely grateful because my site runs by my rules and is done my way. I answer to nobody barring the wife and the dog!

There most certainly will be non-prog reviews going forward, and funnily enough Saxon will be one of them, hopefully at the weekend. I am off work this week which means that I actually have less time to listen to music than usual - chores, gardening & etc. and I also have a couple of albums to listen to that Nick very kindly alerted me to.

Basically, the site is my vehicle to do what I want. Whilst I adore my prog, it is not the only genre or show in town.
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 05:15
Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Steve, I enjoyed the VM&J review. While not strictly prog, I enjoyed your take on this outside genre and it got me interested. Any chance of you doing a few non prog reviews in future. I'd love to read your take on an artist like Saxon. Wink

Thanks Steve. In fact, it was the VM&J album which got me to set up the website in the first place. I had another of my occasional contretemps with PA Admin over them refusing to add them to the site. One of the great and the good suggested very kindly that I take my reviewing business elsewhere if I wanted to review them. So I did. He did me a huge favour by doing so, and I am extremely grateful because my site runs by my rules and is done my way. I answer to nobody barring the wife and the dog!

There most certainly will be non-prog reviews going forward, and funnily enough Saxon will be one of them, hopefully at the weekend. I am off work this week which means that I actually have less time to listen to music than usual - chores, gardening & etc. and I also have a couple of albums to listen to that Nick very kindly alerted me to.

Basically, the site is my vehicle to do what I want. Whilst I adore my prog, it is not the only genre or show in town.
I surmised that there was dissension in the ranks, but not this extent. Bully for you for striking out on your own.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 05:19
Finally got a chance to peruse the Blog Steve, looks fantastic!.
My only question is...when are you going to resurrect your Birthday of the Day write-ups?
They were so good, I really miss them. I have a particular interest as the month of May approaches. Wink
You could rename one of your pages Beer, News and You's. Big smile

Thank you for supporting independently produced music
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 06:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

Finally got a chance to peruse the Blog Steve, looks fantastic!.
My only question is...when are you going to resurrect your Birthday of the Day write-ups?
They were so good, I really miss them. I have a particular interest as the month of May approaches. Wink
You could rename one of your pages Beer, News and You's. Big smile

Ha! Thanks JD. Yes, I used to enjoy those birthday fun write ups. I couldn’t do one every day, but certainly one per week would be good. I will certainly cast an eye on the merry month of May Tongue
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 09:55
Originally posted by nick_h_nz nick_h_nz wrote:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Sometimes I wish I was into this beer stuff more......Never was a big beer or alcohol guy, I have not a clue what all the jargon means. All I know is I tried a beer that was really dark colored and I about puked my innards, hideous tasting.....Dead

I can only drink beer that is very pale in color and that does not measure an 11 in bitter taste scale of 1-10. LOL

You’d quite possibly like some more UK-style beers. Definitely a lot of US brewers tend to focus on the hops and bitterness, and there are a fair few beers out there measuring at least 11 on a scale of 1-10.

But regardless of where you are drinking, there is an enormous difference in flavour profiles both between the various types of beer, and even within them. That difference is even greater when seen between geographic regions. Generally speaking, for example, I don’t particularly like UK brown ales, but I almost always love Belgian brown ales.

And to add to this, I cannot abide stouts or porters, the really dark ales. Guinness disagrees with just about every cell in my body. I will drink Newcastle Brown Ale if there is nothing else on tap, only the utterly undrinkable and disgusting keg creamflow processed bitters.

I love stouts and porters, but not Guinness. But then again, the Guinness you get in bars is nothing like any stout you’d get from a real ale brewer. Like the creamflow bitters, it has nitrogen added (to give it the creamflow), and it just tastes….meh. Newky brown disagrees with me as much as Guinness does with you. It’s the most horrendous example of a brown ale, and almost put me off the style entirely.

Probably because of what I grew up drinking, some of my favourite beers are UK ales brewed with NZ hop varieties, giving me flavours of the beers of both countries. Shepherd Neame makes some really nice beers using NZ hops, and one of them tastes very similar to one of my favourite NZ beers.

But really, I am no great connoisseur. I like loads of different beers from loads of different breweries across the country. So long as they don’t experiment too much with flavour (I don’t need a hazy ipa flavoured with guava, thank you very much), I tend to find some degree of enjoyment. What I do find frustrating, is when one brewery is bought up by another. My most local big brewer, Greene King, is the worst for this. As much as they might claim that the taste is the same, it never is. GK make some alright beers, and some of the beers they brew under the name of the breweries they’ve taken over aren’t too dissimilar - but there are some beers I really enjoyed before they became GK, that really don’t taste the same at all now.

I could not for the life of me remember what it was, but I did enjoy some beer I had while in NZ, this was many years ago. Business trip for 2 weeks, the bulk on the south island in Blenheim, also in Otautau......I don't remember what it was though. Confused
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 09:57
^Then it must have been VERY good beer. LOL
nick_h_nz View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Prog Metal / Heavy Prog Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nick_h_nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 10:00
^ Otautau! What kind of business takes you to Otautau? 😄
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 12:35

^ Otautau! What kind of business takes you to Otautau? 😄

Yea I hear ya!! LOL Forestry.....the oysters were good too.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2022 at 12:44
Originally posted by JD JD wrote:

^Then it must have been VERY good beer. LOL

Maybe so, the wine was much better Thumbs Up
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 03:57
Reviews of new Saxon and t added to Album Reviews 2022.

By the end of the week, I will have done a report on last night’s brewery talk and sampling night at the pub, with some exciting news about how friends will be able to order said beer!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 04:10

By the end of the week, I will have done a report on last night’s brewery talk and sampling night at the pub, with some exciting news about how friends will be able to order said beer!
Fantastic! I'm brewing a pot of coffee (to be boosted with a liquore!) to get ready for some enjoyable AM reading. Wii get back with some comments!

Edited by SteveG - April 28 2022 at 04:25
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 10:49

Fantastic! I'm brewing a pot of coffee (to be boosted with a liquore!) to get ready for some enjoyable AM reading. Wii get back with some comments!

Thumbs Up Hug
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2022 at 10:59
Yes, getting to sample some of this beer sounds like a great idea. Reading about beer is kind of a tease isn't it.
Help the victims of the russian invasion:
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 02:32
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Yes, getting to sample some of this beer sounds like a great idea. Reading about beer is kind of a tease isn't it.

Yes, indeed it is! LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 29 2022 at 05:39
Great stuff, Steve. Looking forward to more!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 09:33
Okay, the beer news is up. I have redesigned the Beer and News Page to make navigation a bit easier. As far as the ales are concerned, you need to go to the Ale of the Week bit to discover how you can soon be enjoying class Welsh ale if you live overseas. In addition, a really worthy cause is placed on the Ukraine page - basically, you can enjoy beer whilst helping out our Ukrainian comrades.

Also, Top Ten of 2015 added.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 11:50
Very much wanted to get that gluten free Ukraine beer, my girlfriend has been looking for a good gluten free beer. Unfortunately they only ship to the UK for the time being.
http://www.jazzmusicarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=28523&PID=130446&title=various-ways-you-can-help-ukraine#130446
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lazland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 12:00
Originally posted by Easy Money Easy Money wrote:

Very much wanted to get that gluten free Ukraine beer, my girlfriend has been looking for a good gluten free beer. Unfortunately they only ship to the UK for the time being.

I think that should change in the summer, John. I imagine it will be available on Amazon with the rest of them. 

I will, of course, post the news about Amazon when I get it.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 12:42
Sounds good.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 30 2022 at 14:21

[EDIT] - basically, you can enjoy beer whilst helping out our Ukrainian comrades
Ok, now I know there is a familiar relationship between Ukraine and Russia, but using this term to describe Ukraine friends...that just seems wrong to me.

Edited by JD - April 30 2022 at 14:22
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 37>