Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangerine Dream: Untangling the Tangram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 37>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2022 at 16:49
Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Green Desert is entirely Edgar & Chris because Peter was off on one of his "jaunts." The album became a point of contention for many fans because it was the fifth LP in the box set ...In the Beginning. Relativity and Jive Electro stated the "bonus" album Green Desert would not get a separate release — which, of course, it did.

Personally, I love every square sonic inch of Green Desert and could care less how much was done in '73 or '84!
Yes I love it too. Every square sonic inch. Nevertheless I'd find it somewhat interesting if it's "purely" a 1973-recording. Because if that is so, I'd say it's a very much a foreshadowing album. Both for Tangerine Dream and for electronic music in general.

Green Desert was definitely "finished" in 1984, the earliest instance of what would later be dubbed "tangentizing" (adding new sounds to an older recording).

Chris had long since ceased playing an actual drumkit, so the side-length title track certainly dates to 1973. The low-mixed pulse-loop sounds modern and so do the synths. The guitar line is up in the air.

"White Clouds" is likely fifty-fifty: again, real drums, but the melody is modern and mirrors their Schmoelling-era sound aptly. Engaging, either way,

The last two pieces, "Astral Voyager" and "Indian Summer," invite even more speculation. I think "Indian Summer" may even be a purely modern piece because it sounds like it would be right at home on Froese's solo album Pinnacles., which was released in '83.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 02:35
4 stars 1978: Cyclone - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQKJL9K1MLY

Following the departure of long-time member Peter Baumann in 1977, a fresh wind of change was blowing through Tangerine Dream with the release of their 11th album: Cyclone. This album is notable for featuring the unique trio of Edgar Froese, Chris Franke & English musician Steve Jolliffe, and somewhat controversially, it was the first Tangerine Dream album to feature vocals (provided by Steve Jolliffe), which wouldn't be heard on a Tangerine Dream album again until "Tyger" in 1987. Tangerine Dream fans may have fallen out of their chairs in shock upon  hearing vocals for the first time on this album back in 1978, but Cyclone has now come to be regarded as a much-loved classic in the Tangerine Dream canon, and deservedly so too in my view. Thumbs Up 

Track Listing:-

1. Bent Cold Sidewalk (13:05)
2. Rising Runner Missed by Endless Sender (5:00)
3. Madrigal Meridian (20:28)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 15 2022 at 02:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 07:14
5 stars 1979: Force Majeure - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Afqgm3CzzQY

Tangerine Dream were essentially a duo (consisting of Edgar Froese & Chris Franke) by the time of the recording of their 12th album: Force Majeure. They were still a major force to be reckoned with though, as this is arguably Tangerine Dream's most melodic album so far and a firm favourite amongst English fans where it remains their fourth best-selling album in the UK. Tangerine Dream were destined to become a keyboard trio again when Johannes Schmoelling (born 1950) joined the band as a long-term member for the recording of their next album: Tangram, marking  the beginning of a new era and a new decade for Tangerine Dream. Heart

I played Force Majeure endlessly when I first bought the album back in 1979, which didn't annoy my parents nearly as much as when I played Motorhead's Ace of Spades album endlessly the following year. Tongue

1. Force Majeure (18:17)
2. Cloudburst Flight (7:27)
3. Thru Metamorphic Rocks (14:30)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 16 2022 at 15:20
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 08:38
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 09:00

It's not easy just to keep one busy. Confused

quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 15 2022 at 15:08
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

It's not easy just to keep one busy. Confused

You don't appear to be having any trouble filling your time here so far. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 03:43
4 stars 1980: Tangram - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQpAJUZeIAY

Tangram is the 13th album overall and marks the beginning of a new era for Tangerine Dream with new member Johannes Schmoelling joining the band to make it a Tangram trio again. This is the last studio album where the title track traditionally occupies two full sides of an album. The 1980's heralded the beginning of the "short track" period for Tangerine Dream and is also fondly remembered now as their soundtrack decade, including such notable movie scores as:- Thief (1981); Wavelength (1983); Risky Business (1984); Firestarter (1984); Flashpoint (1984); Heartbreakers (1984); Legend (1986); Three O'Clock High (1987); Near Dark (1988): Shy People (1988); Miracle Mile (1989); & Destination Berlin (1989). All in all then, a VERY busy decade for Tangerine Dream with barely any time left over for celebrating their success down at the local Bierkeller. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 16 2022 at 03:43
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 05:42
4 stars 1981: Quichotte - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOHeg3XitM

Quichotte (re-released as "Pergamon" in 1986) is Tangerine Dream's 14th album overall and their third Live album. Quichotte was recorded in January 1980 at the Palace der Republic in former East Berlin, which has long-since closed down. Nearby is the famed Pergamon Museum, hence the later re-titling of the album. If some of the music on Quichotte sounds strangely familiar, then that may be because some of the music from the concert was incorporated into their Tangram studio album later that same year. Smile

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 10:15
Tangerine Dream - Signals from the Schwabischen Strasse: a German documentary film from 1976 (with English subtitles) featuring the classic TD trio of Edgar Froese, Chris Franke & Peter Baumann, talking about their music and showcasing works in progress at the time. Notable commentators in the documentary include Richard Branson, John Peel, Monique Froese and some chap called Miles. The documentary title refers to the street in Berlin where Edgar Froese used to live, and apparently, Klaus Schulze used to live on the same street at the time. Crikey! I thought some of our northern towns in England looked pretty grim, but towns don't get much greyer and grimmer than East Berlin. By the way, I should have posted this documentary earlier, as we're already well into the third Tangerine Dream era now, but better late than never, eh. Embarrassed

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 16 2022 at 14:19
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 14:57
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

4 stars 1981: Quichotte - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9aOHeg3XitM

Quichotte (re-released as "Pergamon" in 1986) is Tangerine Dream's 14th album overall and their third Live album. Quichotte was recorded in January 1980 at the Palace der Republic in former East Berlin, which has long-since closed down. Nearby is the famed Pergamon Museum, hence the later re-titling of the album. If some of the music on Quichotte sounds strangely familiar, then that may be because some of the music from the concert was incorporated into their Tangram studio album later that same year. Smile

I love this album and I love the unabridged concert even more! Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 16:30
4 stars 1981: Thief (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PUSBecv08D8

Thief is Tangerine Dream's 15th album overall and their second film score (after "Sorcerer" in 1977). Thief is a crime drama (no surprise there) directed by Michael Mann (of "Miami Vice" fame) and stars James Caan. Bizarrely, the soundtrack was nominated for the Golden Raspberry Award for worst movie score of 1981, but what the hell do they know!? I've seen the movie AND bought the soundtrack too (which was a steal at £3.99) and for any Tangerine Dream fans who've seen that movie too, you'll know that the soaring synth score really adds to the dark atmosphere of one of James Caan's finest movies. Thumbs Up

1. Beach Theme (3:44)
2. Dr. Destructo (3:18)
3. Diamond Diary (10:48)
4. Burning Bar (3:11)
5. Beach Scene (6:48)
6. Scrap Yard (4:40)
7. Trap Feeling (2:57)
8. Igneous (4:45)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 17 2022 at 07:06
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2022 at 17:34

The 1980's heralded the beginning of the "short track" period for Tangerine Dream and is also fondly remembered now as their soundtrack decade, including such notable movie scores as:- Thief (1981); Wavelength (1983); Risky Business (1984); Firestarter (1984); Flashpoint (1984); Heartbreakers (1984); Legend (1986); Three O'Clock High (1987); Near Dark (1988): Shy People (1988); Miracle Mile (1989); & Destination Berlin (1989).[/tube]

Another soundtrack was for the Michael Mann film "The Keep". This, along with "Force Majeure" and "White Eagle" is one of my favorite Tangerine Dream releases.

Edited by Hugh Manatee - August 16 2022 at 17:38
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 00:47
Originally posted by Hugh Manatee Hugh Manatee wrote:

The 1980's heralded the beginning of the "short track" period for Tangerine Dream and is also fondly remembered now as their soundtrack decade, including such notable movie scores as:- Thief (1981); Wavelength (1983); Risky Business (1984); Firestarter (1984); Flashpoint (1984); Heartbreakers (1984); Legend (1986); Three O'Clock High (1987); Near Dark (1988): Shy People (1988); Miracle Mile (1989); & Destination Berlin (1989).[/tube]

Another soundtrack was for the Michael Mann film "The Keep". This, along with "Force Majeure" and "White Eagle" is one of my favorite Tangerine Dream releases.

Thanks. I'll Keep a look-out for it. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 03:19
3 stars 1981: Exit - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n5iNx2K3w6FppjVtryJQqXm_tUf19gdeg

Exit is Tangerine Dream's 16th album overall, their 11th studio album and the third album released in 1981. Following in the footsteps of the Thief soundtrack, Exit is the second album to feature more uptempo dance-beats (heavily influenced by new member Johannes Schmoelling). Other than the excellent opening track "Kiev Mission" there's nothing really memorable for me on this album I'm afraid, so I can only give it a reasonably good 3-star rating.. I'm going to make a hasty dash for the Exit now before I get lynched by Tangerine Dream fans. Tongue

The Soviet Union really knew how to build their statues to commemorate their war heroes. Thumbs Up 

1. Kiev Mission (9:18)
2. Pilots of Purple Twilight (4:19)
3. Choronzon (4:07)
4. Exit (5:33)
5. Network 23 (4:55)
6. Remote Viewing (8:20)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 17 2022 at 06:58
David_D View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote David_D Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 07:28

That's a very good thread, you're getting here, Paul. Thumbs Up
                      quality over quantity, and all kind of PopcoRn almost beyond
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 08:27
Originally posted by David_D David_D wrote:

That's a very good thread, you're getting here, Paul. Thumbs Up
Thanks David. I still have a long way to go, as the White Eagle flies....
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 10:24

3 stars 1981: Exit - https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_n5iNx2K3w6FppjVtryJQqXm_tUf19gdeg

Exit is Tangerine Dream's 16th album overall, their 11th studio album and the third album released in 1981. Following in the footsteps of the Thief soundtrack, Exit is the second album to feature more uptempo dance-beats (heavily influenced by new member Johannes Schmoelling). Other than the excellent opening track "Kiev Mission" there's nothing really memorable for me on this album I'm afraid, so I can only give it a reasonably good 3-star rating.. I'm going to make a hasty dash for the Exit now before I get lynched by Tangerine Dream fans. Tongue

1. Kiev Mission (9:18)
2. Pilots of Purple Twilight (4:19)
3. Choronzon (4:07)
4. Exit (5:33)
5. Network 23 (4:55)
6. Remote Viewing (8:20)

We're definitely on opposite sides of the river with this one, chum. Exit is a superb album. It's a showcase for the rich sounds of the PPG Wave 2, Oberheim OB-X, Moog Minimoog, and the emerging sampling technologies of the time. While Tangram has a more uppity feel, Exit comes at you with brooding themes, like the menacing title track, the warning of "Kiew Mission," and the urgency of "Choronzon" (I'd love to know who chose to title it after a demon). It was a staple of the early '80s concerts (but usually 2X longer). Overall, I've always gleaned an ambiguously SF air about this particular album. "Network 23" is brilliant, with a tempo that never lets up as the melody plays hopscotch with the sequence, capped by the famous "seagull" effect. Finally, "Remote Viewing" is one of the best ambient pieces ever assembled, with PPG Wave 2 sounds guiding you through an spectral landscape while a flute melody acts as the proverbial candle. It gives me chills. Clap
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 10:31
^ I'm glad you like Exit. I like the album too, but not as much as their previous 11 albums. Smile
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 13:49
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

We're definitely on opposite sides of the river with this one, chum. Exit is a superb album. It's a showcase for the rich sounds of the PPG Wave 2, Oberheim OB-X, Moog Minimoog, and the emerging sampling technologies of the time. While Tangram has a more uppity feel, Exit comes at you with brooding themes, like the menacing title track, the warning of "Kiew Mission," and the urgency of "Choronzon" (I'd love to know who chose to title it after a demon). It was a staple of the early '80s concerts (but usually 2X longer). Overall, I've always gleaned an ambiguously SF air about this particular album. "Network 23" is brilliant, with a tempo that never lets up as the melody plays hopscotch with the sequence, capped by the famous "seagull" effect. Finally, "Remote Viewing" is one of the best ambient pieces ever assembled, with PPG Wave 2 sounds guiding you through an spectral landscape while a flute melody acts as the proverbial candle. It gives me chills. Clap

Nice posting, I like Exit a lot as well and you remind me that it deserves more spins.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 17:20
4 stars 1982: White Eagle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJudKHrNg6M

Tangerine Dream are flying high again with White Eagle - their 17th album overall and a real return to form, including one long track occupying Side 1 of the album and three shorter pieces of music on Side 2 with the title track being a real highlight of the album for me. The album's upbeat, it's catchy, and very 1980's, just like the "Hammer-time" music you might have heard played on Miami Vice for instance.
Enjoy the concert. Thumbs Up

1. Mojave Plan (20:06)
2. Midnight in Tula (3:52)
3. Convention of the 24 (9:24)
4. White Eagle (4:30)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 17 2022 at 17:25
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 37>