Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre you stubborn about the genre changes?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>
Poll Question: Regarding new categories (crossover prog, etc)
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [7.35%]
22 [32.35%]
41 [60.29%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 03:38
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Originally posted by bhikkhu bhikkhu wrote:

Actually, I am just now mainly curious as to why people think metal is so unique. Art Rock was a collection of bands as dissimilar as Gentle Giant and Rush. The term Art Rock, for me anyway, was the original name for Progressive way back in the day. I know why that was such a mess. I helped put many of the bands in there. However, if Metal is just arbitrary, then by that logic, some of those bands would belong in other genres. But is that the case, or are they metal bands?
This is reminding me of Iván's posts. Why do you both make such "binary" decisions - that things can be either completely one thing or completely another? In this case the answer is: both. These bands are both metal *and* prog. Theoretically we could decide that the distinction between rock and metal is not important. Then we could move all the bands in the metal genres to other genres. Dream Theater and Pain of Salvation would go to Symphonic Prog, Isis would go to Post Rock, Devin Townsend and Tool could fit in Heavy Prog, Unexpect and Arcturus go to Avant Prog, Blind Guardian go to Prog Folk. But somehow I doubt that this move would be received well by the community ... Wink
And frankly, the fact that it just absolutely doesn't make any sense to me has me concerned. I thought I had the format of all of this figured out, but now I find I was wrong. So far, no one has provided an explanation that proves the split necessary. This isn't really about metal. This just happens to be where this move took place. I would be just as confused if it had been done in Folk.
Well, as long as you can't see the difference between prog metal and prog folk, your confusion will remain.

Who ever said that Prog Metal isn't prog? Of course they are both prog and metal. That is what makes them Prog Metal bands. And, as I have to keep constantly repeating, they are all prog Metal bands. No other band in any ohter sub-genre can be classified as such. So why aren't they still being kept under one heading? Which is exactly why I used something like Prog Folk as an example. All of the bands in that sub-genre have Prog and Folk in common. That is why they are under one heading. It's just so simple. If the diversity of Folk bands were to increase, they would still all be Prog Folk Bands. The diversity of Symphonic bands has increased dramatically. But they are all still Symphonic, so we are keeping them together, and creating distinctions within the sub-genre. Why? because they are all symphonic bands. This is all so basic, yet only a few other people see what I am talking about. And please don't tell me that Metal is just an arbitrary label. It's not. It is also a descriptive term for the music. Mike, I will pose the same challenge to you. All the bands in the new sub-genres have prog and metal in common. Can you name me a case of other sub-genres that have such a unique relationship with every single entry? Do you see why it makes no sense to me that these bands are in separate, unrelated sub-genres?

And as I said, this is not about metal. This is about logical organization. In the world of food, there is fruit. Under fruit, you find apples. Under apples, you have Macintosh, Granny Smith and Ida Reds. In a store, would you put the Granny Smiths by the bananas, the Macintosh by the grapes, and the Ida Reds by the oranges? No, you would have them all grouped together.
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 03:52
^ all the prog rock bands have in common that they're both prog and rock. So why sub divide them any further?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 04:01

And as I said, this is not about metal. This is about logical organization. In the world of food, there is fruit. Under fruit, you find apples. Under apples, you have Macintosh, Granny Smith and Ida Reds. In a store, would you put the Granny Smiths by the bananas, the Macintosh by the grapes, and the Ida Reds by the oranges? No, you would have them all grouped together.

First of all: I'm sure I'd put the Macintosh in the computer department.Wink

But I don't see what you're getting at with your fruit analogy. Nobody's suggesting to put metal bands where they don't belong. I'd say that what we're doing with metal here is similar to if in the fruit department there were several sub-departments all devoted to apples. Let's say that there is one sub-department for sweet apples (prog metal) and one for sour apples (tech/extreme prog metal).

I can't see why this would irritate any customer. Those who know their apples well would still find what they're looking for since they know whether their favorite type is sweet or sour. Those who are new to apples would see the distinction and also know immediately which department they would want to check out first, depending on their preference for sweet or sour.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - October 30 2007 at 04:02
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 04:10

To heck with apples!  Give me Minneola Oranges or give me death!
Oh, yeah, and some nice bananas, Too.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 04:35

First of all: I'm sure I'd put the Macintosh in the computer department.WinkBut I don't see what you're getting at with your fruit analogy. Nobody's suggesting to put metal bands where they don't belong. I'd say that what we're doing with metal here is similar to if in the fruit department there were several sub-departments all devoted to apples. Let's say that there is one sub-department for sweet apples (prog metal) and one for sour apples (tech/extreme prog metal).I can't see why this would irritate any customer. Those who know their apples well would still find what they're looking for since they know whether their favorite type is sweet or sour. Those who are new to apples would see the distinction and also know immediately which department they would want to check out first, depending on their preference for sweet or sour.

You are exactly right. Except, the apples would be all together. You wouldn't have a display of one kind, then rows of peaches, and grapes, then another kind of apples, then pears and kiwi, and then more apples. You might see Granny Smith, an not notice the others, and assume that is the only kind they have.

Edited by bhikkhu - October 30 2007 at 04:49
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 04:53
And all apples grow on trees, so everything that grows on trees should also be grouped together, but then not all apple are green and not all kinds of apples can be used to make cider, and crab-apples are practically inedible and oak apples are not apples at all, and pomme frittes are potatoes... the problem with analogies is that they are only valid at the level you first apply them at.

I think everyone can see and understand each other's point of view, (with or without analogies), we just don't agree and I don't think we never will.

I'm done.

Edited by darqdean - October 30 2007 at 04:54
What?
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 06:23

You are exactly right. Except, the apples would be all together. You wouldn't have a display of one kind, then rows of peaches, and grapes, then another kind of apples, then pears and kiwi, and then more apples. You might see Granny Smith, an not notice the others, and assume that is the only kind they have.

I see your point. But the order in which the genres are displayed can easily be changed ... currently it happens to be alphabetically, but I agree that it would make sense to group them differently:

• Psychedelic/Space Rock
  • Symphonic Prog
  • Italian Symphonic Prog
  • Eclectic Prog
  • Prog Folk
  • Canterbury Scene
  • Jazz Rock/Fusion
  • Krautrock
  • RIO/Avant-Prog
  • Zeuhl
  • Progressive Electronic
  • Indo-Prog/Raga Rock
  • Heavy Prog
  • Crossover Prog

• Neo Progressive

• Progressive Metal
  • Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
  • Experimental/Post Metal

• Experimental/Post Rock

• Various Genres/Artists
  • Prog Related
  • Proto-Prog
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 10:54
Originally posted by darqdean darqdean wrote:

And all apples grow on trees, so everything that grows on trees should also be grouped together, but then not all apple are green and not all kinds of apples can be used to make cider, and crab-apples are practically inedible and oak apples are not apples at all, and pomme frittes are potatoes... the problem with analogies is that they are only valid at the level you first apply them at.

I think everyone can see and understand each other's point of view, (with or without analogies), we just don't agree and I don't think we never will.

I'm done.

Also, if you don't follow the whole analogy, then you will miss the point. In an earlier post, I broke it down as a form of a larger group and its subsets. Food > Fruit > Apples > Macintosh = Granny Smith = Ida Red.

And, Rock > Prog > Prog Metal > Progresssive Metal = Extreme/Prog Tech Metal = Experimental/Post Metal
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 11:00

I see your point. But the order in which the genres are displayed can easily be changed ... currently it happens to be alphabetically, but I agree that it would make sense to group them differently:
  • Psychedelic/Space Rock
  • Symphonic Prog
  • Italian Symphonic Prog
  • Eclectic Prog
  • Prog Folk
  • Canterbury Scene
  • Jazz Rock/Fusion
  • Krautrock
  • RIO/Avant-Prog
  • Zeuhl
  • Progressive Electronic
  • Indo-Prog/Raga Rock
  • Heavy Prog
  • Crossover Prog
  • Neo Progressive
  • Progressive Metal
  • Tech/Extreme Prog Metal
  • Experimental/Post Metal
  • Experimental/Post Rock
  • Various Genres/Artists
  • Prog Related
  • Proto-Prog

So, then I guess you would have a special name for that group of three, just following neo. If so, I am guessing it would be Prog metal. Which is why I don't understand why they were split in the first place.

And before anyone takes a few steps back, and says it's because they are so different, I understand that. I am in full support of the three new subdivisions. I don't like Dream Theater, but I love Indukti. Why? Because they are so different. Yet they are both Prog Metal bands. Just because the differences needed clarification, did not make them cease to all be prog metal. I don't see why that all encompassing banner was dropped.

Edited by bhikkhu - October 30 2007 at 11:24
Vibrationbaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 11:33
These genres just confuse everything. In the seventies I just worried about whether or not I liked an album. Many prog bands put out very different sounding material from album to album or morphed into a different sound as their careers progressed. I have never understood what the big deal is about having to ctegorize music.Confused.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 11:58
^ it's not a big deal. It's fun for those of us who do it, and it's helpful for newbies and everyone who wants to use the categories. Those who don't want them don't have to use them!
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 13:55
Bhikkhu, I have to ask, did you actually read my post? I made it quite plain that if we are going to group all the metal related bands together then we should group all the rock related bands together, after all, why should one sub genre get preferential treatment and not the other.

I think the "problem" here is that you equate Prog Metal tob Symphonic prog, or Eclectic, or Ne etc. You shouldnt, you should equate it to Prog Rock, which is already firmly split, because leaving it as Prog Rock would be very unhealpful to people looking for bands related to other bands.
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 16:10
Originally posted by sleeper sleeper wrote:

Bhikkhu, I have to ask, did you actually read my post? I made it quite plain that if we are going to group all the metal related bands together then we should group all the rock related bands together, after all, why should one sub genre get preferential treatment and not the other. I think the "problem" here is that you equate Prog Metal tob Symphonic prog, or Eclectic, or Ne etc. You shouldnt, you should equate it to Prog Rock, which is already firmly split, because leaving it as Prog Rock would be very unhealpful to people looking for bands related to other bands.

So are you saying that Prog Metal is u sub-genre of Rock, and not Prog? Then why is it here? I do want it to be helpful for finding similar bands. If you came here looking for bands similar to Indukti, you wouldn't go to Symphonic, you would go to Prog Metal. And from there you would look at the further subdivisions to find what you are looking for. I guess I need to say it yet again. I don't understand why the unifying title of Prog Metal needs to be removed.

Edited by bhikkhu - October 30 2007 at 16:10
sleeper View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 20:23

Bhikkhu, I have to ask, did you actually read my post? I made it quite plain that if we are going to group all the metal related bands together then we should group all the rock related bands together, after all, why should one sub genre get preferential treatment and not the other. I think the "problem" here is that you equate Prog Metal tob Symphonic prog, or Eclectic, or Ne etc. You shouldnt, you should equate it to Prog Rock, which is already firmly split, because leaving it as Prog Rock would be very unhealpful to people looking for bands related to other bands.

So are you saying that Prog Metal is u sub-genre of Rock, and not Prog? Then why is it here? I do want it to be helpful for finding similar bands. If you came here looking for bands similar to Indukti, you wouldn't go to Symphonic, you would go to Prog Metal. And from there you would look at the further subdivisions to find what you are looking for. I guess I need to say it yet again. I don't understand why the unifying title of Prog Metal needs to be removed.

No, I'm saying Prog metal is a sub genre of progressive music, just as Prog rock is. And if you dont think the unifying title of prog metal needs to be kept, than why dont we have the unifying title of prog rock?
Spending more than I should on Prog since 2005

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 21:19

No, I'm saying Prog metal is a sub genre of progressive music, just as Prog rock is. And if you dont think the unifying title of prog metal needs to be kept, than why dont we have the unifying title of prog rock?

Read the banner, we have the unifying title of Progressive Rock!!!

If it's not clear, it says Prog Archives.com your ultimate PROG ROCK resource.

This is a Prog Rock site, if Prog Metal is not part of Prog Rock (Which I believe would be absurd to believe), then it doesn't belong here.

So or it's a sub-genre of Prog Rock, or doesn't belong here.

Progressive music refers to REM, U2, or any band that went beyonnd the parameters of mainstream, but not necesarilly part of the Progressive Rock GENRE, from which Prog Metal is a sub-genre, exactly like Symphonic, Folk or Neo Prog.

Iván

Edited by Ivan_Melgar_M - October 30 2007 at 21:24

bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 30 2007 at 22:09

I'll reiterate what Ivan said, we do. And I am saying the unifying title of Prog Metal needs to be kept. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I said. I would really like an answer to this instead of just circular repetition of pervious statements. I asked if you believed if Prog metal was a subset of Prog or not. If not, then what do we do with it? This is a prog site. Now, obviously, I don't think this is the case. It's actually very simple, and I feel like I am one of the few who is in on a secret here. Rock > Prog >Prog Metal. Very easy. And equal to prog Metal are the other subs. So why are we abandoning the general label, and moving the subsets up to equal levels with the other sub-genres? As I have said before, but I will say it again (and maybe this time someone can actually give me an answer), This implies that they have as little in common as Folk and Electronic. Yet, this is not true, because they are all prog metal bands.

Ivan_Melgar_M View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 00:00

BTW Sleeper, who told you that Metal and Rock are two different things to say that this site priviledges Progressiver Rock over Progressive NMetal?

Metal is one genre of Rock

Quote Heavy metal (often referred to simply as metal) is a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s. With roots in blues-rock and psychedelic rock, the bands that created heavy metal developed a thick, heavy, guitar-and-drums-centered sound, characterized by highly amplified distortion and fast guitar solos http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heavy_metal_music

So if it uses the prefix Prog, PROG METAL is clearly a sub-genre of Progrwessive Rock., so yes Progressive Rock is priviledged in Prog Archives and Prog Metal is part of it, talking about a special entitty that is a sub-genre of Proogressive Rock, but has special or super natural attributes that places it above the rest, otr at the same klevel of the mother genre which is Prog, is absurd and a falacy.

Progressive Metal is only one sub-genre more in the same level as all the others, or at least should be, because today it has mutated into a sort of Holy Trinity that has nothing of Holy or special otr even trinity.

Topday people are more confused than evver, some claim that Prog Metal is a sub-genre of Prog while others as you  clainm it's a parallel entity to Prog Rock, this split has brought confusion and chaos, for a genre that represents 10% of the bands in this site.

Iván

jimmy_row View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 01:06

I'll reiterate what Ivan said, we do. And I am saying the unifying title of Prog Metal needs to be kept. As a matter of fact, that is exactly what I said. I would really like an answer to this instead of just circular repetition of pervious statements. I asked if you believed if Prog metal was a subset of Prog or not. If not, then what do we do with it? This is a prog site. Now, obviously, I don't think this is the case. It's actually very simple, and I feel like I am one of the few who is in on a secret here. Rock > Prog >Prog Metal. Very easy. And equal to prog Metal are the other subs. So why are we abandoning the general label, and moving the subsets up to equal levels with the other sub-genres? As I have said before, but I will say it again (and maybe this time someone can actually give me an answer), This implies that they have as little in common as Folk and Electronic. Yet, this is not true, because they are all prog metal bands.

not that I disagree or anything (actually, I'm indifferent on the topic), but I'm curious what you think about Canterbury and RPI in this case.  If prog metal should be kept as one, then shouldn't Canterbury be consolidated with Jazz/Fusion and RPI be broken up into proper subgroups? (ie. PFM and Le Orme go to symphonic prog, Il Volo goes to jazz/fusion, etc.).  If we're going to stick to general labels, perhaps it's best to do away with geographical categorization?
Signature Writers Guild on strike
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 03:23
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Read the banner, we have the unifying title of Progressive Rock!!!

If it's not clear, it says Prog Archives.com your ultimate PROG ROCK resource.

This is a Prog Rock site, if Prog Metal is not part of Prog Rock (Which I believe would be absurd to believe), then it doesn't belong here.

I'm really sorry if all this is too complex for you to understand.Confused

But since I know you're a bright person I actually get the feeling that you're deliberately ignoring our reasoning.

Edited by MikeEnRegalia - October 31 2007 at 03:45
SgtPepper67 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2007 at 10:19
I don't really care that much about the subgenres and all that but of course it's interesting to group the bands together according to their style. Anyway, I'm a bit confused with the crossover prog genre. For example, why is Supertramp in that genre, and Styx in prog related? I haven't heard all the albums by both bands and maybe I don't analyze music so deeply, but for what I've heard both bands have some prog elements but they're not completely prog bands and have some clear pop inclinations. Shouldn't they be both on the same sategory?

Edited by SgtPepper67 - October 31 2007 at 10:20

In the end the love you take is equal to the love you made...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 11>