Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Flower Kings Appreciation Thread

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 486>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 5 Votes, Average 4.20  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
TheCaptain View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheCaptain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 05 2009 at 19:42
^^If you can only say three words then "Roine Stolt's awesome" is a pretty darned good 3 words.
Curse your sudden but inevitable betrayal.
Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 06 2009 at 20:37
Shoot, in all honesty, if I only had three words, I'd go with something like 'need new tongue' or 'bring me Beckinsale'.

Seriously, Ronnie Stolt is fantastic and all, but I'm just sayin'
-------someone please tell him to delete this line, he looks like a noob-------

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2009 at 09:16

Hi All, hope you are all feeling good.  I am now returned from my (well deserved) holiday, during which time I listened to World Of Adventures, Sum Of No Evil and Unfold The Future.  Great beach listening!!  

World Of Adventures really is an awesome album, I'd possibly place it as third best after Stardust and Space Revolver.  The title track, Go West Judas, Theme For A Hero and Big Puzzle get me everytime.

Sorry but I just can't put together a compilation without HOURS of thought, that is unless it's a 6 cd set LOL.

I haven't got any of the FK live albums or DVDs, which would everybody recommend as the best?

The Quiet One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Quiet One Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2009 at 14:59
^welcome back Roj! Hope you had a great time!

I've just started school, so, really no good, haha.

I don't have any TFK DVD's nor Live albums, so, I can't help you there...
Diaby View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Diaby Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2009 at 15:36
I've got Instant Delivery, that's a great show. However, my DVD player don't play the second disc. First we bought it here in Hungary, and it didn't run. We thought it had a problem and got a refund. Then a forum-mate of my brother living in Sweden sent us one for free, but the problem is the same, only the computers are playing that.
yeah
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 09 2009 at 18:51
Originally posted by Roj M30 Roj M30 wrote:

I haven't got any of the FK live albums or DVDs, which would everybody recommend as the best?

I think you really have to have both "Meet The Flower Kings" and "Instant Delivery" as they are very different from each-other and both excellent.

Essential viewing for a TFK fan Wink

progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 02:11

Sorry but I just can't put together a compilation without HOURS of thought, that is unless it's a 6 cd set LOL.

That was exactly my idea buddy. You could already see that on my top 50 list because even no.50 is still a great song there. And with their lengthy tracks I could even get to a 7 or 8 cd set. Incredible, isn't it ?
And yet they made at least 40 songs I hardly like at all which is the reason I gave so few 5 starratings for their albums. And the three I did give were actually invalid because also for Flower Power and Paradox Hotel it was the same story as the rest: a few absolutely magnificent tracks but also a lot hardly worthwhile.
But since Flower Power contains Garden of Dreams and Paradox Hotel contains Monsters & Men I had to go for 5 stars with these two. Otherwise there would have been hardly or none at all 5 starratings for my favourite band of all times and that was an unbearable thought. With Space Revolver it was a different matter. I consider that album along with Sum of No Evil the best album overall with hardly fillers on them.

In the end it still hurts me I gave all their other albums 4 stars but I'm a fair reviewer so I had to play fair game in these cases. I can't give them all 5 stars, it's against PA-rules Wink
A day without prog is a wasted day
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 02:19
Originally posted by bassman4 bassman4 wrote:

I just received Meet The Flower Kings dvd.  I love it. I think this is a must have for any TFK fan  . No kiddin , this is a GREAT dvd. I would love to see these dudes live but, ... I don't know if the oppertunity will present itself.

On itself they are great live. They are such fantastic musicians it can't miss. The only thing that annoyed me a few times in live DVD's and shows they didn't finish their long epics like f.i. The Truth will set you free. They play 14 minutes instead of 31 and I hate that ! But that's a personal thing. I like to hear the studio versions played exactly the same live. I hardly appreciate the improvisations but probably many fans don't care about that. It's just my aberration LOL.
Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 04:19

This morning on my way to work I felt I needed to hear something uplifting so I decided to play Monsters And Men.  I only got Paradox Hotel recently, and have heard it 3 or 4 times to date. I knew I loved M & M, but couldn't remember all the themes etc. 

Well, I have to say that I find it difficult to find the words to describe just how magnificent this piece of music (Monsters & Men) is. I had goosebumps virtually the entire 21:20, such is the beauty and emotion of this masterpiece. 

This is the thing with The Flower Kings, they move me so consistently, unlike any other band I've heard.  The themes, the chord progressions, they are just amazing.  I am still without 2 albums by TFK, but I can sense that they will very soon be out ahead as my favourite band of all, ahead of Floyd and Yes, who currently share the number 1 position with TFK.  In fact, in reality I think they are number 1 already.

Sorry, just felt I had to say something, as I was feeling so emotional after a listening experience I hope at least some of you understand. 

progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 12:50

This morning on my way to work I felt I needed to hear something uplifting so I decided to play Monsters And Men.  I only got Paradox Hotel recently, and have heard it 3 or 4 times to date. I knew I loved M & M, but couldn't remember all the themes etc. 

Well, I have to say that I find it difficult to find the words to describe just how magnificent this piece of music (Monsters & Men) is. I had goosebumps virtually the entire 21:20, such is the beauty and emotion of this masterpiece. 

I told you Wink. ......     Best song ever ?

We could start a Monsters & Men appreciation thread, how about that ?

Edited by progrules - March 13 2009 at 02:15
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 16:56

This is the thing with The Flower Kings, they move me so consistently, unlike any other band I've heard.  The themes, the chord progressions, they are just amazing.  I am still without 2 albums by TFK, but I can sense that they will very soon be out ahead as my favourite band of all, ahead of Floyd and Yes, who currently share the number 1 position with TFK.  In fact, in reality I think they are number 1 already.

Sorry, just felt I had to say something, as I was feeling so emotional after a listening experience I hope at least some of you understand. 

I'm totally with you on Monsters and Men. It is an incredible track and goosebump city, especially towards the end Smile

I also agree where you say "they move me so consistently, unlike any other band I've heard". I'd go along with this apart from I'd add Genesis to that.

The Flower Kings are the only group from the last 20 years in my top 5 all-time groups. I play them more then any other band and have done for the last 5 years or so. I can't ever imagine putting them above Genesis though because they were so important to me in my formative years even though I don't listen to them so much now.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 18:59
I'm like Nov in that it was hard for me to even consider putting a band on the same plane as Genesis, but The Flower Kings have reached that status in my mind.  My top five does include Frost*, IQ and Spock's Beard as well, but the last three are far below Genesis and The Flower Kings.

I don't have an unnatural obsession with Disney Princesses, I have a fourteen year old daughter and coping mechanisms.
bassman4 View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bassman4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 12 2009 at 21:12
I'm at the point where all the Flower Kings music is blended together. It's like one long tune. I can find less and less distinguishing  each record  from another . Lucky for me it's one of my favorite blends on the planet.
Smile
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 02:13
Originally posted by Roland113 Roland113 wrote:

I'm like Nov in that it was hard for me to even consider putting a band on the same plane as Genesis, but The Flower Kings have reached that status in my mind.  My top five does include Frost*, IQ and Spock's Beard as well, but the last three are far below Genesis and The Flower Kings.

Interesting addition this. Which are the other four top bands. Well, in my personal biography you can read these are Dream Theater(+LTE), Symphony X, Collage/Satellite and Clepsydra and it will be that way for a long time to come because these are 4 (6) other bands that are in my blood and bones. The only thing they have in common with TFK is the production of teriffic melodic compositions. It's just that TFK does this best of them all ! TFK is on a lonesome extremely high level that's beyond everyone else's reach.
And there's of course Pendragon but they only made two excellent albums (out of 10).
About Genesis: I have the outmost respect for them but in the end I feel they are a bit overrated and of course far less than TFK. I'm a bit of an outcast on this site because my big love is not with the seventies era Disapprove.
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 05:06
Originally posted by progrules progrules wrote:

[
About Genesis: I have the outmost respect for them but in the end I feel they are a bit overrated

I know it's all opinions but in no way are Genesis overrated. Probably the opposite in fact. They've pretty much been the sound-track to my life and the albums from 1970-1977 are, in my opinion, the finest run of albums in music history.

As for top 5 artists - this is probably where I get banned from the forum coz mine looks like this:

1) Genesis
2) The Beatles
3) Steely Dan
4) The Flower Kings
5) Camel

Smile

Roj View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 06:28
Hi guys.

For me it was always Floyd and Yes, followed by Genesis and IQ.  I never expected a new band to dislodge them, but TFK have done so, big time!!

TFK have been such an incredible discovery for me and have changed my musical life.  Just last year I'd never even heard of them, now they are my number 1. Had it not been for a buddy recommending PA I could've gone through my life without ever hearing TFK; a truly shocking thought.

Now for me it's:-

1.  TFK
2.  Floyd / Yes (equal)
3.  Genesis
4.  IQ

IQ are VERY close behind Genesis, however if the rest of their new album is as good as the 3 tracks from it I already know, they may pull leve with Genesis.

Always, always a great pleasure to talk on this thread.

Edited by Roj M30 - March 13 2009 at 06:32
Nov View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Nov Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 11:03

Had it not been for a buddy recommending PA I could've gone through my life without ever hearing TFK; a truly shocking thought

The tragedy is (for the band as much as anything) that there are, I'm sure, many hundreds of thousands of music fans around the world in exactly that situation. Luckily for us, we know how fantastic this band is but too many people don't.

There are always going to be people that don't want to know and who only want their 70s albums, but I've introduced many people to TFK who are open and willing to hear new stuff and they've been amazed at what they've been missing.

All it takes is an open mind and a willingness to listen to new music and I maintain that anyone who likes Yes and Genesis (in particular) would embrace the music of TFK like all of us have in this thread.

How I'd love the band to be able to play well funded sell-out tours of nice theaters around the world with the kind of production that their music deserves. Of course, if I ruled the world they'd be selling out arenas with a Pink Floyd or Genesis type production - imagine how mind-blowing that would be Wink

I've just heard that Michael Jackson has sold out 50 (FIFTY) nights at London's O2 Arena - that's 20,000 a night (you do the sums) Shocked

Crazy old world eh?

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 11:20

Interesting addition this. Which are the other four top bands. Well, in my personal biography you can read these are Dream Theater(+LTE), Symphony X, Collage/Satellite and Clepsydra and it will be that way for a long time to come because these are 4 (6) other bands that are in my blood and bones. The only thing they have in common with TFK is the production of teriffic melodic compositions. It's just that TFK does this best of them all ! TFK is on a lonesome extremely high level that's beyond everyone else's reach.
And there's of course Pendragon but they only made two excellent albums (out of 10).
About Genesis: I have the outmost respect for them but in the end I feel they are a bit overrated and of course far less than TFK. I'm a bit of an outcast on this site because my big love is not with the seventies era Disapprove.

Progrules,

I understand what you mean, personally, I love Genesis but think that both Yes and King Crimson are terribly overrated. 

King Crimson is just a little too out there on many of their albums, I picked up Lark's Tongue and I just can't get the whole way through it .

Yes (along with Marillion) is a slightly different story, I can't get into them and I can't figure out why.  Everything says that I should, there's kind of a "If you like Genesis then you should like Yes" relationship for many, but I just don't like their music.  Similar thing with Marillion, "If you like Genesis and IQ you should like Marillion."  I've tried, they just don't quite do it for me.

Regarding being an outcast because you aren't in love with the 70's, I feel your pain.  I refer to them as the "70's forever" crowd.  At one point, someone posted the quote "All of the good music has already been written" which I thought was a sadly arrogant stance and a ludricas statement in general.

As a collection, I prefer the newer groups over the older groups.  If I had to do a top ten, I'd add Dream Theater, Peter Gabriel, Riverside then pick two out of Satellite, Porcupine Tree, Siege's Even, Pain of Salvation, Singularity and Sylvan.  (Speaking if which, if you haven't heard Singularity, I highly recommend them)  Anyways, my point, with the exception of Peter Gabriel and Genesis, I generally prefer the modern prog scene over the 70's.

But, back to the original point, The Flower Kings are absolutely amazing.  Has anyone heard if they're planning on touring the US at all this year?  They usually try to make the trek once a year if I understand correctly.  We saw them last year at the 3RP. 

Here's a sign of a great band (and a harbringer of a long post), last year I didn't have Unfold the Future and Back in the World yet.  Of course when we saw them live, the two bookends of the set were "The Truth Will Set You Free" and "World of Adventures".  Despite being a big Flower King fan, I barely knew much of their set list.  I was a little disappointed that I didn't see my favorite songs, but still walked out thinking that it was one of the best concerts that I've seen.

They were that good.

Roland113 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Roland113 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 13 2009 at 11:28

Hi guys.

For me it was always Floyd and Yes, followed by Genesis and IQ.  I never expected a new band to dislodge them, but TFK have done so, big time!!

TFK have been such an incredible discovery for me and have changed my musical life.  Just last year I'd never even heard of them, now they are my number 1. Had it not been for a buddy recommending PA I could've gone through my life without ever hearing TFK; a truly shocking thought.

Now for me it's:-

1.  TFK
2.  Floyd / Yes (equal)
3.  Genesis
4.  IQ

IQ are VERY close behind Genesis, however if the rest of their new album is as good as the 3 tracks from it I already know, they may pull leve with Genesis.

Always, always a great pleasure to talk on this thread.

Roj,

Here's an IQ question for you.  Do you think that they're a bit too repetitive?

For a brief period they were higher on my list of favorites, probably number 3, then I picked up Ever.  Don't get me wrong, it's a great album, but I already had both Subterrerea and 7th House.  I found the three albums to share a lot of themes to the point that it got to be repetitive.  I know that Ever was released before the other two, but I picked them up in the opposite order of their release.  By the time I finally got Ever, I was intimately familiar with Subterrerea.

Try singing the end of 'The Narrow Margin' to the music of 'Came Down'  If you stretched a little you could combing the end of 'Guiding Light' as well.

I still love the band, they're just not as shiny as they once were, though I am hopeful that the new keyboard player will add some new life.

progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progrules Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 14 2009 at 06:38

Progrules,

I understand what you mean, personally, I love Genesis but think that both Yes and King Crimson are terribly overrated. 

King Crimson is just a little too out there on many of their albums, I picked up Lark's Tongue and I just can't get the whole way through it .

Yes (along with Marillion) is a slightly different story, I can't get into them and I can't figure out why.  Everything says that I should, there's kind of a "If you like Genesis then you should like Yes" relationship for many, but I just don't like their music.  Similar thing with Marillion, "If you like Genesis and IQ you should like Marillion."  I've tried, they just don't quite do it for me.

Regarding being an outcast because you aren't in love with the 70's, I feel your pain.  I refer to them as the "70's forever" crowd.  At one point, someone posted the quote "All of the good music has already been written" which I thought was a sadly arrogant stance and a ludricas statement in general.

As a collection, I prefer the newer groups over the older groups.  If I had to do a top ten, I'd add Dream Theater, Peter Gabriel, Riverside then pick two out of Satellite, Porcupine Tree, Siege's Even, Pain of Salvation, Singularity and Sylvan.  (Speaking if which, if you haven't heard Singularity, I highly recommend them)  Anyways, my point, with the exception of Peter Gabriel and Genesis, I generally prefer the modern prog scene over the 70's.

Good post Roland ! There are some meaningful and sharp points you are making here but that has also to do with me agreeing with you of course (about the70's point) Wink.
There's just one thing I do not completely agree with. Contrary to you I don't dislike Yes. But I do very well understand what you mean. I think Yes just made a (very) few very good songs during their large discography. To me those are the incredible Gates of Delirium and Close to the Edge. And I can only add  Awaken, Yours is no disgrace, Starship Trooper and And you and I to them as very good songs.
The rest I don't really care about in fact. And then to think that many people dare to maintain that TFK is just a Yes-rip off band. I get so angry when I read such stupid nonsense AngryAngryAngry. All facts considered Yes gets nowhere near TFK in my opinion. I'd better watch out now or it will be Censored.
Yes is sacred to many  Wink

I really like these talks about TFK compared to the ultimate greats on PA. I wanted to do this for a long time ! Thanks guys
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 486>