Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Popular Prog Bands that you just can't get into
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPopular Prog Bands that you just can't get into

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 33>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 05:03
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Rush. I never understood all the fuss about them. Good musicians, though not as exceptional as their fans try to make them, but the music is nothing special at all.
C'mon people lighten up......................I am a huge Rush fan yet I say no problem with this POV.

Thats a fair cop...I over reacted.

But why mention the musicianship?

And why then edit it and add......

though not as exceptional as their fans try to make them......?

It may be my imagination....but from my conflicts with this member in the past, she is an expert at passive/ aggresive posts.

But nevertheless, I am sorry for the unseemly behaviour.
progrules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 05:03
Originally posted by souio souio wrote:

Everyone has a band that seems to be immensely popular on this site that just doesn't seem to click with people.

For me, it's IQ. I have no idea why exactly. I've tried listening to The Wake about 10 times and, while there are moments on the album which I enjoy, I just can't seem to get into it. Same with Subterranea. Their debut album seems to be my "favorite" album for me, but I just can't seem to get into them. Which is strange as two of my favorite bands are Marillion and Pendragon.

What are some bands that you can't quite get into?

I can relate to this ! I also have a hard time to really embrace this band. And also I am a true neo fan. But the last year it's getting better for me so maybe there's hope for you. Do you have all their albums ? Because for a long time I just loved Subterrenea (but then only 4 songs to be fair) until I discovered The Seventh House last year and suddenly there was a sort of click. Recently I bought all their eighties stuff but in that decade there are just a few songs I really like and the rest: not at all !
I have the same thing with Pallas and Hogarth era Marillion by the way. These bands just don't do it for my taste. Same goes for Sylvan I just realize. 80% of all neobands I heard so far I do like a lot however.

Outside the neo genre:
VDGG
King Crimson
Gentle Giant (not 100% terrible)
and especially: SIGUR ROS. I bought almost all their albums because they were for sale over here and now I have to review them all DeadCryOuch  LOL. Really, Sigor Ros s#$&*cks big time for me
Also Magma, Sleepytime Gorilla Museum and most Italian prog.

Edited by progrules - June 13 2009 at 05:40
A day without prog is a wasted day
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 05:04
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

Magma.

I keep listening though. Sometimes things "click".

I mean Magma fans can't be wrong....can they?

It's not about the fans, and detractors, being wrong or right -- though the fans know Magma more, of course.  It's a matter of taste (styles preferred) and experience.  It's been one of the most important discoveries for me musically, but that doesn't mean that it should be similar for you. There's no bands/ album that everyone should like.  I don't like Spock's Beard and The Flower Kings, but different strokes for different folks -- can't say I've listened to that much of either's stuff because I'm not interested.

But it's different for me, if something clicks I find much more that clicks later, and the appreciation deepens.  Then later on after being into it it might stop clicking altogether as I've moved on to other music and styles.

Which albums/ tracks have you listened to, and what things click?  For instance, I could imagine someone really enjoying Retrospective 1-2 who doesn't much like Kobaia.  I love both.

EDIT: Just remembered that you started a fairly lively Magma topics four years ago (when you were a fresh noob to the world of Magma).  Topic: Magma? It's a good read.

I have MDK...I think its called. I have listened several times.

I don't expect to love it, but I do expect to at least like it......but I just don't.

Can you point me in the right direction?
Alitare View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 05:11
Most hard rock/heavy prog.

Deep Purple
Led Zeppelin
Queen
Rush
Porcupine Tree

And some more "top name" progressive bands

Gentle Giant
Yes(Although I somewhat enjoy Close To The Edge)

Something strange

Opeth. It is strange. I WANT to love Opeth. I want Opeth to be one of my favorite bands, and for the most part, I really like them, but each album I feel should absolutely blow my mind somewhat underwhelms me. I don't know.
SergiUriah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 05:37
Originally posted by Ivan_Melgar_M Ivan_Melgar_M wrote:

Putting my helmet....

Camel: Better than valium to sleep, well I like Moonmadness.
Now throw the stones, I protected my head. LOL
Iván

Cool

Jejeje...

progmetalhead View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 05:54
 Ermm After reading some of the replies here Shocked

May I suggest another site that will be of interest

Rush unexceptional....pfffft
http://www.last.fm/user/colt2112

Colt - Admin Team MMA

SergiUriah View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 06:25
I just only would like to know a thing. Why some works from Santana (even I only have his first one, and a Greatest Hits and Abraxas I have listened 70´s Lps too...) are named in this page as Prog Albums???

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 06:45

Rush. I never understood all the fuss about them. Good musicians, though not as exceptional as their fans try to make them, but the music is nothing special at all.
C'mon people lighten up......................I am a huge Rush fan yet I say no problem with this POV.

It may be my imagination....but from my conflicts with this member in the past, she is an expert at passive/ aggresive posts.

The passive aggressiveness has only been read into my posts; I am not passive aggressive at all. And from your reactions to some of my posts which were not meant to be aggressive at all it might as well be said that you are a master at open aggressiveness. Wink
The truth is that there have been some misunderstandings between us; you read something into my posts which are not there, reacted hotly, and then of course I felt peeved too and answered in the same measure.
Most of it got started by my and Jean's criticism of the "Peartians". I have nothing at all against people for whom Peart is their favourite drummer, but to treat him as unreachable and way above any other drummer is what peeves me. First of all it is not true, and second it is an insult to all the other excellent drummers out there. If he is your favourite drummer, fine, but don't turn him into a God. It is this attitude which we criticize, nothing else.
If you take a look at some of the drum polls in this archive you will have to admit that this attitude has often been taken by his fans. And in that light the comment "though not as exceptional as his fans try to make him" is to be seen. That's all. If that is passive-aggressive to you, I can't help it.
But I am willing to bury the hatchet, so I will admit that this comment was unnecessary and hereby retract it. I am certain that Peart fans see the merits of other drummers too.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 07:00

The passive aggressiveness has only been read into my posts; I am not passive aggressive at all. And from your reactions to some of my posts which were not meant to be aggressive at all it might as well be said that you are a master at open aggressiveness. Wink
The truth is that there have been some misunderstandings between us; you read something into my posts which are not there, reacted hotly, and then of course I felt peeved too and answered in the same measure.
Most of it got started by my and Jean's criticism of the "Peartians". I have nothing at all against people for whom Peart is their favourite drummer, but to treat him as unreachable and way above any other drummer is what peeves me. First of all it is not true, and second it is an insult to all the other excellent drummers out there. If he is your favourite drummer, fine, but don't turn him into a God. It is this attitude which we criticize, nothing else.
If you take a look at some of the drum polls in this archive you will have to admit that this attitude has often been taken by his fans. And in that light the comment "though not as exceptional as his fans try to make him" is to be seen. That's all. If that is passive-aggressive to you, I can't help it.
But I am willing to bury the hatchet, so I will admit that this comment was unnecessary and hereby retract it. I am certain that Peart fans see the merits of other drummers too.

I don't know that he is my favourite drummer actually. I believe that some drummers are so different from each other that its impossible to compare "like for like". Maybe some Rush fans do treat him as unreachable, I don't know about that, I haven't met anyone as close minded.
I am willing to bury the hatchett too. If I read too much into your innocent posts then it was my mistake.
Problem is...with the printed word...one can read what one wants I suppose.Stern Smile

Until next time we meet on the battlefield........adieu!
Smile

BTW.......which Magma album would you recommend to me?Big smile

valravennz View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 07:26
Coming in rather late to this err discourse...
I quite catagorically can not get into Rush; Dream Theater (although "Awake" is a pretty decent album); Metallica; The Mars Volta; Mastodon; The Flower Kings and most Extreme Tech Metal bands. I have tried but they do nothing to enhance my personal listening pleasure. I make no apology for my opinion of these bands but accept that they obviously bring listening pleasure to othersWink

"Music is the Wine that fills the cup of Silence"
- Robert Fripp

StyLaZyn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 07:44
Originally posted by progmetalhead progmetalhead wrote:

Ermm After reading some of the replies here Shocked

May I suggest another site that will be of interest

It is what it is. The elitism for the sake of being elite is what I offer wonder about. If a person can't get into something bizarre, there is a good reason. Who are the most popular Prog bands? And why are they the most popular? Probably it is because they write good music that appeals to a greater audience while at the same time don't offer mass appeal like Top 40. 
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 07:51
People should stop recommending M.D.K. as a starting point for Magma. We're losing a lot of potential devotees because of that AngryTongue
mirco View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 07:55
Originally posted by SergiUriah SergiUriah wrote:

I just only would like to know a thing. Why some works from Santana (even I only have his first one, and a Greatest Hits and Abraxas I have listened 70´s Lps too...) are named in this page as Prog Albums???
Check out Caravanserai, and you´ll find the answer.
Please forgive me for my crappy english!
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 07:59
Originally posted by mirco mirco wrote:

Originally posted by SergiUriah SergiUriah wrote:

Check out Caravanserai, and you´ll find the answer.

Even "Abraxas" is a full-fledged prog album in my opinion.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 08:08
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

People should stop recommending M.D.K. as a starting point for Magma. We're losing a lot of potential devotees because of that AngryTongue

I couldn't agree more - the studio MDK didn't click with me until I was well into Magma and well-versed with the version from Retrospektiw I-II, which I still prefer.  I like Kobaia or 1001 as an introduction, followed by Kohntarkosz and Retro if you're not scared off.  Problem is those two early albums are very different from MDK and the later material, but I still think it's a bit easier in terms of exposure.
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 08:17
Originally posted by King Crimson776 King Crimson776 wrote:

The 3 M's of doom Tongue:
Magma
The Mars Volta
Mastodon

Ayreon
IQ
Marillion (they're ok but the rave reviews for them are incomprehensible to me, maybe I don't get their lyrics, not huge on lyrics anyway)
The Tangent (I thought I'd like this one, but it's just kind of boring in all honesty)
Robert Wyatt
Eloy
Kraftwerk
Amon Duul II (not even close to the best Krautrock band)
Pain of Salvation (pretty godawful... no, not just Scarsick)
Fates Warning
The Decemberists (I don't know what to say really, people have been crooning over this band lately... there's nothing special here at all, I'd like to hear someone who likes them try to describe what it is exactly that's good about them, that would be interesting)

What about if, instead of regaling us with your usual snarky, patronising comments, you just recognised that people may have different tastes from yours? If you have decided you don't like The Decemberists, or The Mars Volta, or whatever, we could talk ourselves blue in the face and not convince you that there is something good about those bands - all you want to do is to prove we're idiots who don't understand the first thing about prog.

And, btw, it's not 'crooning', but 'crowing', I suppose... I don't generally make soothing sounds like I would to a baby when I talk about the music I like.

Edited by Raff - June 13 2009 at 08:18
Captain Capricorn View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 08:20
Originally posted by harmonium.ro harmonium.ro wrote:

M.D.K. is where I started, & I was hooked from day one. Ermm
akamaisondufromage View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 08:34
Gosh! I'm enjoying this thread.  So many little scraps going on all over the place - it seems to have caught peoples imaginations. 

I must say Kingcrimson778 I would have great difficulty describing what it is I like about a lot of things but I don't think that would make them intrinsically bad or nothing.  Big smile

Now where is that 'kiss and make up' emoticon so many of you seem to need?
Help me I'm falling!
GaryB View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 08:37
I have difficulty getting into some of the Prog/Folk bands I've heard. I have tried more than once to get into Gryphon, especially Raindance. Strange Days is another band I've tried several times. These are bands that I really wanted to like (I try to be positive in the beginning) but so far, nothing has clicked.
From the same Prog/Folk list I like Carmen and Ramses so it's not necessarily the "sub genre", it's just certain bands.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 13 2009 at 08:37
Originally posted by topofsm topofsm wrote:

That's strange, cause there was a thread recently where most people pretty much concurred that any album except for Attakh and Merci were a great introduction to Magma's sound. I listened to MDK again today and I think it's like my 4th listen. To be honest it seems like an endless tribal chant/prog thing with lots of 7/8. If I listen to it 'from a distance' (for lack of a better phrase) by not focusing on the more primal aspects of the music including the weird made-up-language it sounds kind of cool, and almost like a Broadway tune or something to me, though it's hardly mind blowing.

I might give them another try if I have the chance, though there really isn't any point in spending money on music that leaves me dissaffected, regardless if the person next to me is left breathless.

Somebody else mentioned Kohntarkohz.  I would say that is the best starting point with Magma. I listened to Kohntarkohz first and then when I tried MDK, I got stuck, it took a long time to develop a liking for it.  Even now, though I love 1001 degrees and Christian Vander Wutah to death, none of the other albums do as much for me as Kohntarkohz.  The other albums are packed with incredible amounts of music that's just too hard to assimilate in a few listens, I know that I haven't got there yet either. Kohntarkohz is relatively sparse with less "activity" and a flowing theme.  It's still going to be like, "What sort of music is this, it's like nothing I have heard" but it's probably the best bet with Magma for you.  If you can't get past Kohntarkohz, Magma may not be for you. 

As for topic, I would say Flower Kings.  I have issues with the vocals as far as Spocks Beard and Dream Theater, so I am never going to become a huge fan of both bands. I have got used to LaBrie to a large extent and ignore him and take in the rest of the music, so I am able to moderately enjoy most of their albums and I had no issues with Images..and Awake from the beginning.  But TFK...all the elements are there, but it never strikes me as special. It must be, they have so many fans, they are so prolific and the delivery is professional but it leaves me cold in the end.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 33>