Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhen were you infected by Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 14:47
It's hard to say when I first became a progger because I probably hadn't heard of the word at the time.  When prog started being a term, it meant to me "bands I already liked" so I defined what I thought was prog by my own definitions out of neccessity.  Therefore, what I considered to be prog may not be considered so today.  When Black Sabbath's first album came out, I looked on that as prog in hindsight but the band seemed to go more commercial after that.  I also listened to Ten Years After whom I've never considered prog though I listened to them for the same reasons.  Especially the earlier stuff when they were more experimental.

But, it probably started with Sgt. Pepper.  When it came out, it was considered psychedelic but I loved the journey it took me on and the steps it took beyond the pop culture.  The complexity was startling.  It may have started there but I feel looking back it culminated with the Moody Blue's Days of Future Passed.  While before I would play entire albums in one sitting, this was the first one I felt like I had to listen to the whole thing.  A partial playing would be incomplete, like reading only a few chapters of an entire novel.  It had a beginning, middle and end.   While my definition for prog broadened after that, prog still has to make me feel that I am listening to more than a song
progpositivity View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 15:13
Originally posted by The-time-is-now The-time-is-now wrote:

I was infected by Tormato (Yes), two years ago; I'm 21 ;-)

Cool!  I too stumbled across Yes via Tormato!  I heard the song "Arriving UFO" on our Album Rock station very late one night on headphones.  I just loved that album.  Of course, I had no idea the wealth of greatness in their back-catalog - so I had nothing to compare and contrast it with. 

Yes-Tor!

Positively the best Prog and Fusion 24/7!
http://www.progpositivity.com
Gentlegiantprog View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 15:45
I listened to Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin and The Mars Volta before I knew what prog was.
In fact, I only found out what prog was when reading an Amazon list of top 25 prog bands because I liked both Pink Floyd and King Crimson (Which I only got into because Forbidden covered 'Schizoid Man)

I am also 21.
Let the maps of war be drawn !

http://kingcrimsonprog.wordpress.com/
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 16:49
Originally posted by Gentlegiantprog Gentlegiantprog wrote:

I listened to Iron Maiden, Led Zeppelin and The Mars Volta before I knew what prog was.
In fact, I only found out what prog was when reading an Amazon list of top 25 prog bands because I liked both Pink Floyd and King Crimson (Which I only got into because Forbidden covered 'Schizoid Man)

I am also 21.

Many years ago, I bought an April Wine album which contained a cover of KC's '21st Century Schizoid Man'.  I remember really liking the song and thinking to myself that the odd time signature and the hard rock approach sounded like something Rush might do.  (I didn't know about KC at the time).

I can't help but notice that you are now a Gentle Giant fan!  Do you remember the first album and/or song you heard by Gentle Giant?  If you don't remember that, do you have a favorite album by GG?
sealchan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 17:29
I first started listening to music on the radio seriously in about 1981 or 82 when I was 13 or 14 years old.  The first prog (related) album I fell for was Asia's Asia.  I loved every song on that album.  The keyboards and drums and guitar and vocals were great and cast a spell on me.  The album cover art transported me to a mythic realm.  I think my brother (who is 2 years younger than me) actually purchased the album.  We purchased it based on the songs we heard on a rock radio station that played several of the songs on a regular basis.

I've recently repurchased the album as an MP3 download having not owned a copy since I had it recorded it onto cassette from an LP.  The names of the musicians in ASIA make direct connections to as many great prog groups from the 70s and it was through my love of those musician's work on that album that I got started on the road to my love of prog.

psychobuddha View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 21 2010 at 17:50
  I listened to Procol Harum's A White Shade of Pale and Salty Dog when I was 13, then I craved more.  

Edited by psychobuddha - April 21 2010 at 17:51
octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 03:08
Salty Dog was my favourite song before I went into prog. If I'm not wrong I was 9 years old and it was used as opening of a TV show (closed by She's coming through the bathroom window in the Joe Cocker's version).

You have reminded me that.
Paper Champion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 14:10

It was the "Undercover Man" from VDGG's "Godbluff". At that time I was 7 or 8 years old. My father would like to play with me in my room and turn on his Matsush*ta Hi-fi system. Heh, I remember it clearly even after so many years. Ironically, VDGG which led me to discover prog, actually, are of no interest for me now.

Edited by Paper Champion - April 22 2010 at 14:12
esky View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 14:30
I was invited into a friend's playroom (state-of-the-art stereo system; volumous record collection) at the back of his parents' garage in late '71and given various doses of the Moody Blues. A couple of years later came the sounds of some of the early Floyd albums, followed by those from such groups as Yes, ELP, and PFM. A fog of green smoke blanketed a small, everchanging group of visitors to the playroom along the way, each professing allegiance to some new "art rock" group just on the scene, and that all crescendoed into 1975's deliverance of Chris Squire's Fish Out of Water, Symphonic Slam, and Maxophone by the record store over at the local mall. I was hooked. Geek
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 14:57
Originally posted by Paper Champion Paper Champion wrote:

It was the "Undercover Man" from VDGG's "Godbluff". At that time I was 7 or 8 years old. My father would like to play with me in my room and turn on his Matsush*ta Hi-fi system. Heh, I remember it clearly even after so many years. Ironically, VDGG which led me to discover prog, actually, are of no interest for me now.

You have me most curious now!  When one starts out with such challenging and adventurous music as VDGG at the age of 7 or 8, where do you go from there? 

What are you listening to these days?

You mentioned that VDGG are of "no interest" to you now.  Do you have a distaste for VDGG now or are you simply disinterested in them?  Are you simply over-familiar with their discography, or have you "moved on" to a preference for a different style of prog?
Ethos View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 22 2010 at 21:30
It was not sudden, it was gradual and incremental.  I'd have to say it started with the Beatles in the early 70's.  They were so different and experimental in their own sort of way. Then I heard 10538 by ELO.  ...and then I heard Suppers ready, and then the Musical Box and then the Lamb, and then... well you know the rest.  Genesis is what really got me.  It was not called prog back then.  You have to realize, DISCO was popular back then!  I can not think of a more boring period for a drummer.Dead  The true measure of greatness is the test of time.  Enough said!
"As sure as Eggs is Eggs."
Tengent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 19:24
A few years ago, my friend played And You and I for me. It went on from there.
Boxhead View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 23 2010 at 21:18
In 68 when I was 10. The Beatles of course. Pink Floyd after that was the mainstay. Then I got into Humble Pie, Foghat, Styx before Tommy Shaw, Chicago, ELP, Genesis, Gentle Giant, The Who and Tommy Bolin.

In the 70's it was Return to Forever, John McGlaughlin, Zappa, Armegeddon, Jean Luc Ponty, Weather Report and more Genesis, Rush, Kansas, Alan Parsons, Focus and fusion jazz.

I still play the vinyl all the time. Lately it is Porcupine Tree, NIN, Tool, Dreamtheater, Opeth, Translantic and Peter Gabriel.

Now that DVD and Blu Ray are here I listen to a lot of live shows in LPCM. The dynamics are just fantastic, the visuals make for good eye candy and convenience of just going to the PS3 and just push play.

Klipsch, so much it Hz
Thkasabrk View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 02:01
For me it was when I was in high school. Some wise soul played PFM's "Celebration" over the PA one day and I was hooked! I started seeking out their albums, and the rest as they say is history
Rottenhat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 11:23
I think I can blame my oldest brother for getting me into prog. He was into Kansas, Pink Floyd and the like in his youth before he defected and went into listening to New Age stuff :) Traitor...

Language is a virus from outer space.

-William S. Burroughs
Pimpernal View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 17:37
I started listening, when i found a youtube channel, which got me into it as a 14 year old kid, i just turned 15.
nordwind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2010 at 22:39

Queen "A Night @ the Opera" / 1975

Uriah Heep / "Best of "/ 1975

Styx / "Best of "/ 1975 (blue vinyl)

Rush / "All the World's a Stage"/ 1976

Then came ; Floyd ,Yes ,Saga ,Kansas ,Blue Oyster Cult ,Threshold .Smile
Jazz isn't dead.......it just smells funny.
Frank Zappa / Live in New York
Geizao View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 05:31

The Beatles, Revolver; in my youth

Pink Floyd, Dark Side of the Moon; in my older youth

Yes, The Yes Album, in my older and so of my youth!
richardb1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 14:54
a hat tip for mentioning dimple an absolute masterpiece . still listening to it today musically and lyrically stunning Smile
richardb1973 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2010 at 14:58
first prog exposure was an atlantic 7 inch single with roundabout on the a side . and you andi full version !!!!! on the bside Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 25>