Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Blogs
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Slartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSlartibartfast's Magical Music Random Load Blog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2010 at 20:07
Slarti, that last batch, I am not worthy.

I will say Absolutely Free was a turning point in my 13-year old brain.  It's been a noisy resident there ever since.  May take longer for anyone else to comprehend. 

I'm losing status at my high school...

Which I did daily LOL
Can you tell me where we're headin'?
Lincoln County Road or Armageddon.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 07:56
Don't sell yourself short, I'm sure you're worthy. LOL
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 21:00
The Llamas are the last from the last group.

Akkerman, Jan    Noise of Art, The - Jan's been pretty prolific after Focus.  Some of his stuff just isn't as remarkable as the Focus stuff.  This would be one of them
Beck, Jeff with Terry Bozzio and Tony Hymas    Jeff Beck's Guitar Shop - Nice little three piece, but like Jan's solo stuff, not as memorable as his '70's stuff.
Budd, Harold    Pavillion of Dreams, The - I remember reading a review that said something to the effect that you'll really like it if you like the original Star Trek opening theme.  Cracked me up.  Well, I found it an interesting enough album to buy in vinyl and later in CD.  Ambient, of course. 
Corea, Chick    Return To Forever - the first RTF lineup.  It was released as Chick Corea solo album.  A bit different in character than the last lineup's albums.  Still good.  I got to see Airto and Flora live after they had parted from the band. Cool
Eno, Brian/John Cale    Wrong Way Up - another one of those albums that brings me back to the time it was released.  I had not become familiar with other Cale work.  Still haven't for not particular reason, but I like this one.
Glass, Philip    Naqoyqatsi - I wouldn't be into Glass were it not for Kayannisquatsi.  Really didn't need the DVD as I have the CD and prefer to experience the Glass trilogy in DVD format. 
Grateful Dead    Terrapin Station - I don't have a lot of GD's music, saw them live at least once.  Even though this has a Dancing In The Streets cover, Terrapin Station Part I makes this album of interest to prog fans.  I believe they didn't do any other parts on subsequent album.
Happy the Man    3rd "Better late.." - their third studio release.  I have to rank their first two and what appears to be their last one as essential.  the rest is probably best suited for fans.
Moody Blues, The    To Our Children's Children - not really much memorable on this one for me.  I reserve the right to revise and extend my remarks after it gets my next lisen.
Pere Ubu    Worlds In Collision - I like their more accessible albums than their ones more out there,  I find the early stuff rather hard digest.  Yet still (Something weird is coming this way.)
Various    Marijuana's Greatest Hits Revisited - this one I found in a used store and had to get it for it's potential amusement value.  It's a bunch of covers of songs about you know what. 
Yes    Keys To Ascention - OK, we have some classic yes live combined with a couple of unimpressive new studio tracks. 

One more slot. Talking Heads  More Songs About Buildings And Food.  Their second album where for me they were firmly drifting into prog territory.  Hell, you got Eno on it.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 20 2010 at 21:06
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2010 at 23:05
Couple of thoughts. 

All Moodies albums are essentially interchangeable.  I do not mean this as an insult.  They are all very good in a  background sort of way.

I need to give Guitar Shop another listen.  It's been a while.

RTF.  I don't care which line up it is.  It's all good.  I remember being at some concert (small venue) and Airto explaining to the audience how to pronounce his name...Eye...Ear...Toe, as he points to each.  And then of course us audience gets just blown away by the music that ensues. 

The Talking Heads More Songs... is one of those albums that made it possible for me to transition from the '70's to the '80's.  It was around this time I saw them on SNL and realized that rock (as opposed to the 'old' prog and jazz) was relevant again. 

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2010 at 12:09
As long as you're talking the Days to Seventh phase for the Moodys I more or less agree. LOL
Despite my comments above regarding Guitar Shop, I still like it.
By the way I had to replace all of my Talking Heads earlier albums with the latest versions remastered by Jerry Harrison that include bonus material and surround sound mixes.  My only complaint about those is that they didn't reproduce the lyrics but only have them in draft form in the booklet.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 26 2010 at 07:14
Well, I about ran out of random loads.  Wasn't able to play anything at the new job because I didn't have sound set up yet.  Today will be better.  Here's the next batch:

Abercrombie, John and Ralph Towner    Sargasso Sea - this may be the first time these two ECM guitarists played together.  Good unobtrufus guitar duet.

Davis, Miles    Complete In A Silent Way Sessions, the  I've got two Miles complete sessions box sets and now have a little of a love/hate relationship with them as the extra material is on other regular release CDs I've added.  Don't get me wrong the box sets are really nice.  The other set is Bitches BTW and it is a bitchin' box set. LOL  So anyway, if I've I've got duplicates, I'll delete the tracks from the box sets in my players.

Eno, Brian    Ambient 4/On Land - my favorite of the series is The Plateaux Of Mirror.  This one would probably be second.  It was my introduction to some artists I was not familiar with: Bill Laswell, Jon
Hassell, Michael Brook, Daniel Lanois.

Eurythmics    1984 for the love of big brother - I'm not really a fan of these guys in particular.  I mean, this band doesn't even have the real Dave Stewart. LOL  I like the soundtrack work they did for the film, it kind of made the movie for me.  I was very pissed when I got a DVD version and they had stripped their stuff out and went with plain music.

Fripp, Robert & Eno, Brian    Equatorial Stars, The - they've never been able to top Evening Star, but this is a close second.  There is also a limited edition by the guys called Beyond Even, but it's not in our discography yet.  One of two different artists that I have on top of my computer to add in.

Gentle Giant    Power and the Glory ,The (Remaster) - the remaster has the actual track called Power And The Glory which was not originally included.  It's a decent track, but I can understand why it was left out.  It doesn't quite fit in with the rest.  It seems like it was replaced by Playing The Game.  This was the first GG album I heard and I liked it at first listen.

Gong    Zero to Infinity - a pleasant surprise to get a new Gong album with Daevid back at the helm.

Parker, Charlie    Bird: The Original Recordings Of Charlie Parker - the only Parker I have in my collection other than the music on the Clint Eastwood movie.  Seems like a good compilation. 

Procol Harum    Prodigal Stranger, The - I'm guess probably not a fan favorite.  It's decent enough for me plus I picked it up from a bin as a cut out dirt cheep.

Sting    Mercury Falling - I really thought Sting's first album was something special when it came out and it remains that.  It seems that after that he put out a lot of albums that were good but unremarkable.  This is one of them.

If I put in too many posts with this guy: Avatar he may start to breed and take over the site. Shocked

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 27 2010 at 20:51

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 06:59
Here's this morning's batch:
Weather Report    Mr. Gone
Di Meola, Al    Spendido Hotel
Isham, Mark    Tibet
Rypdal,  Terje    Skywards
King Crimson    Discipline
Reich, Steve w/ Kronos Quartet & Pat Metheny    Different Trains &
Electric Counterpoint
Pohjola,Pekka     Keesojen Lehto (aka Mathematician's Air Display, The Consequences of Indecisions)
Parsons, The Alan, Project    I Robot
Oregon    Roots in the Sky
Jackson, Joe    I'm the Man (Remaster)
Oldfield, Mike    Tubular Bells 2
Gong, Pierre Moerlen's    Pentanine
Brand X    Product
Black Mountain    Black Mountain

These are in the order they are in the case.  I forgot to post before I cut them from the randomizer spread sheet. LOL

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 07:02
An excellent list today. In particular Pekka Pohjola
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 18:21
Yeah Pekka is one I need to explore more.  For years I thought that was a Mike Oldfield album because it was released in at least the US as one.  On the bright side, I wouldn't have discovered his music if it weren't for that, so I can't complain.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 18:56
Made it through some at work today:

Di Meola, Al    Spendido Hotel - originally released as a double LP, Al stretches out a bit and tries out some new styles.  Roller Jubilee was actually used in a Minute Rice commercial. LOL

Oregon    Roots in the Sky - I haven't heard all of their studio albums but this is one of my favorites.  I don't know why.  It's hard for me to put music into words. musicwords  Oh wait.  I did it. Tongue mwuosridc

Oldfield, Mike    Tubular Bells 2 - Mike playing with his bells again. 

Brand X    Product - no Phil, noooo, don't sing.  Don't worry.  No music was harmed.

King Crimson    Discipline - old Crimson fans that might not have been following Fripp after the previous album must have have gone "what the hell is this crap?".

Reich, Steve w/ Kronos Quartet & Pat Metheny    Different Trains & Electric Counterpoint - didn't quite finish this one.  A little Metheny left to go.  This is almost a bridge between what I consider modern classical and what I consider prog.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 28 2010 at 19:13

octopus-4 View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl,Neo & Post/Math Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2010 at 23:21
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Yeah Pekka is one I need to explore more.  For years I thought that was a Mike Oldfield album because it was released in at least the US as one.  On the bright side, I wouldn't have discovered his music if it weren't for that, so I can't complain.
Same for me
Curiosity killed a cat, Schroedinger only half.
My poor home recorded stuff at https://yellingxoanon.bandcamp.com
jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 29 2010 at 15:04

King Crimson    Discipline - old Crimson fans that might not have been following Fripp after the previous album must have have gone "what the hell is this crap?".

I've told this story before, but I'll tell it again and claim I forgot.  A year or two after I moved out to Seattle, way back when, I was at a party and some hipsters put on this album (it was new at the time).  I did not believe it was King Crimson until I saw Fripp's name on the cover.  And I mean I made them show me the cover.  I've since come to terms with the three of a perfect pair (Discipline, Beat, and TOAPP).
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 08:21
Isham, Mark    Tibet - Mark is worthy of inclusion on this site.  Mostly for Vapor Drawings which has similar music to his soundtrack for the Never Cry Wolf movie, which was my introduction to his music.  This album is a soundtrack to a video showing scenes of Tibet.  Kind of an ambient affair.  Mark plays trumpet and synths on all three I mentioned.  He is also a big Miles Davis fan and has put out a tribute album of covers.

Parsons, The Alan, Project    I Robot - I found the Poe album to be a bit cheesy at points.  This one is probably his best.  I am a sucker for Sci-Fi themed concept albums.

Jackson, Joe    I'm the Man (Remaster) - an album that would not qualify him for prog archives.  An album of really well done tunes all the same. 
Favorite: It's Different For Girls.
"What the hell is wrong with you tonight?
I can't seem to say or do the right thing
Wanted to be sure you're feeling right
Wanted to be sure we want the same thing"

"She said, I can't believe it
You can't, possibly mean it
Don't we, all want the same thing
Don't we
Well, who said anything about love? "

Black Mountain    Black Mountain - what can I say, I was one who gave a thumbs up to their addition crossover and then ordered their two albums for my collection.  This is why I had to step down as an evaluator on the team.  I wound up buying too much of the stuff I tried out and approved. LOL  Very retro psychedelic sound to this one. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 31 2010 at 16:22

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 19:10
Next batch (still have three from the old load left to goBig smile):

Bach, Johann Sebastian    Brandenburg Concertos Nos. 4-6
Claypool, Les Frog Brigade, The    Purple Onion
Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit    Mirrors of Embarrassment
Collins, Phil    Face Value
Curved Air    Phantasmagoria
Enya    Watermark
Hackett, Steve    Wild Orchids
Hedges, Michael    Torched
Jackson, Joe Band    Beat Crazy
Ponty, Jean-Luc    Cosmic Messenger
Soft Machine    Seven

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2010 at 21:52

Next batch (still have three from the old load left to goBig smile):

Bach, Johann Sebastian    Brandenburg Concertos Nos. 4-6
Collins, Phil    Face Value

That ol' Bach gets lots of respect, and rightfully so.

That ol' Phil Collins,he doesn't get much respect at all, but Face Value is a fine album, in some ways better than I ever heard from Genesis.  It must be love, I'm feeling...
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 00:24
Weather Report    Mr. Gone - not well respected around here.  I like it.  Joe was stretching out a bit.

Rypdal,  Terje    Skywards - this one has yet to make much of an impression on me.

Gong, Pierre Moerlen's    Pentanine - Pierre's last Gong project before he moved on to the great gong in the sky.  I really liked it.  The only thing it has in common with the Gong is Moerlin.  A good listen all the same.

Bach, Johann Sebastian    Brandenburg Concertos Nos. 4-6 - a friend of mine brought the Brandenburg by one night when it was starting to snow.  I'll forever associate those with winter in my mind.

Claypool, Les Frog Brigade, The    Purple Onion - nice set of tunes by Les fortified with a little Whamola.

Col. Bruce Hampton & The Aquarium Rescue Unit    Mirrors of Embarrassment - I keep singing the praises of Bruce to y'all.  The avant fans should take a listen to his material. 

Collins, Phil    Face Value - Phil's first solo album and his best.  I didn't really follow his later offerings but am fairly confident that this is his best compared to the later stuff.

Curved Air    Phantasmagoria - just before Way parted way with the band an it seems to me they were still making good music.  The reformed group with Jobson put out an album I like better, but this may be the best of the first three with the Daryl Way.

Enya    Watermark - I don't think she gets any respect around here if she is mentioned at all.  Damn shame, another one of those artists that made the '80's tolerable.

Hackett, Steve    Wild Orchids - Steve seems to have come back to in a major way.  Ranks well with his earlier albums.

Hedges, Michael    Torched - a posthumous from an artist who died way too soon.  His singing never really caught on with me much but his guitar playing was out of this world.

Jackson, Joe Band    Beat Crazy - hard to get a hold of for some reason, but I managed.  Still not prog but still really good.

Ponty, Jean-Luc    Cosmic Messenger - Ponty seemed so much more inspired in the '70's, though I think Enigmatic Ocean was the peak.

Soft Machine    Seven - basic good JRF album, nothing really stands out for me.

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2010 at 21:35
OK five of the titles from above left.  Time for another round:
That's weird, I had another set of randoms at the top of my spreadsheet, more than enough, so I loaded up -
Akkerman, Jan    From the Basement - there are a series of Akkerman's '80's albums that were released on CD with bonus tracks.  If you like Akkerman, I'd put those at the bottom of your to get list.  Not bad but unimpressive.

Davis, Miles    Amandla - Miles came back to do some decent albums after he went through another nutzo phase post his jazz-rock '70's phase.  Not casting aspersions.  He admits it in his autobiography, which is a great read, by the way.

Eno, Brian/Jah Wobble    Spinner - most of Eno's albums in the '90's leave me a little cold.  This is one of the better ones.

Ferry, Bryan    Bete Noire - I'm a much bigger fan of his Roxy Music stuff.  His new solo is his Roxiest though.

Frith, Fred    Top of His Head, The - basically good Frith solo album.  Has Jane Siberry.  One of Fred's more accessible albums.

Gentle Giant    Giant For A Day - pretty much universally despised in these circles.  If you consider that the band has long ago been toast you can actually go back to this one and cut it some slack.

Gongzilla    Thrive - another one of those artists I would not have got to know were it not for Prog Archives.  This is a Gong related band of course.  A heavier version of PM's Gong.

Psychedelic Furs, The    Psychedelic Furs, The - one of those bands that really is part of the fabric of the '80's sound, whatever the hell that is, and yet doesn't suck. 

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 01 2010 at 21:36

Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 20:21
Another batch:
Passport    Looking Thru - you absolutely can't go wrong with any Passport album from around this time.

Sting    Brand New Day - I pretty much have liked all of his solo albums since the first one.  This is one of the better ones.

Blue October    Foiled - I tried this one out from BMG music club due to the vocalist's similarity to Phil Collins oddly enough.  Slightly proggy, too.

Afro Celt Sound System    Volume 2 : Release - if the idea of Celtic music mixed with African intrigues you, this is something you should check out.  Sinbad O'Connor does a cameo vocal.

Alitheia    Chthonick - ordered this based on the CD Baby blurb.  Not exactly my cup of T, but sometimes you have to stretch out a little.

Allman Brothers, The    At the Fillmore East - I'm not a big expert on their catalog, but this is the one album I would recommend to just about any prog fan.

Bowie, David    Heathen - Bowie is always at his best when he has prog guests.  In this case it is David
Torn and Tony Levin.  Plus Sunday will forever remind me of post 9/11/2001.

Davis, Miles    Water Babies - recorded before Miles' jazz rock phase. Released after.  Probably a breath of fresh air to those who didn't dig the J/R phase.

Metheny, Pat with Dave Holland & Roy Haynes    question and answer - not a favorite of mine as I like the Meth more when he's doing Jazz/Rock.  This is more jazz.

Moody Blues, The    Every Good Boy Deserves Favour - I'm still amused that their hits are my favorites and the rest often seems quaint.

Nine Inch Nails    [With Teeth] - a good comeback effort from Mr. Reznor but Year Zero has better stuff.

Van Tieghem, David    Safety In Numbers - primarily a percussionist, but yet a multi-instrumentalist.  Has worked with Laurie Anderson and David Byrne.  Nice instrumental album.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 03 2010 at 21:00

jammun View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 20:35
I need to put Water Babies on the turntable.  I haven't heard that one in probably 20 years, but the album is sitting down there with many others in the cabinet.  Moodies are always quaint, unless you're one of those who voted for Calif. Prop 19, in which case they are the finest prog rock band on the planet.  I don't mean this in any sort of derogatory sort of way.  Allman's, that's a good live recording.  I still prefer their debut and to a lesser extent Idlewild.  But that Filemore East album has some good jammun' LOL
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2010 at 20:58
Originally posted by jammun jammun wrote:

I need to put Water Babies on the turntable.  I haven't heard that one in probably 20 years. 

20 years?  That album could have had babies that are all grown up by now. Tongue

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 18>