FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIf you're younger than 18

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 33>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 16:06
Originally posted by NecronCommander NecronCommander wrote:

Starhammer, he's Walter. Walter will be Walter.

I know he's Walter and that's the way he'll be. But it's so annoying...
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 16:30
Originally posted by Starhammer Starhammer wrote:

Starhammer, he's Walter. Walter will be Walter.

I know he's Walter and that's the way he'll be. But it's so annoying...

Walter is a fungi. Tongue
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

J-Man View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 16:46
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Is there young progers out there that still appreciate something else in prog than prog metal?

I forgot to mention how much I hate this stereotype in my O.P. Evil Smile

Just remember - the guys in Dream Theater (the pioneers of prog metal) are in their 40's and 50's. Wink

Those "metal kids" in the 80's are all middle-aged people by now.

Check out my YouTube channel! http://www.youtube.com/user/demiseoftime
The_Jester View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2010 at 21:26
You're totally right but I'm considering the small amounth of people who only enjoys prog in the world and the smallest one who enjoys anything else than prog metal wich is by fact, the most popular sub-genre of prog for the younger generation. And as you said it the mid-aged guys who still listens hardly to metal (like I've seen in tons in fact when I worked for Heavy Montreal even if most of the bands out there weren't prog metal.)
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 01:01
Originally posted by SolarLuna96 SolarLuna96 wrote:

LOL
benjajl View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 09:26
I'm 32 now but I've always been a fan of Rush.  My best friend introduced me to Dream Theater.  I was probably 16 or 17 at the time.  I had no clue what Prog was.  Sure I gravitate to the heavier stuff but I love the older Genesis Albums, Jethro Tull, Camel.  The more I explore the more I find I enjoy just because it's different.  I can't stand to listen to the radio anymore because everything sounds the same so the more I delve into Prog the more new and interesting sounds I discover.  So Prog Metal is not just for the yound and the Genesis is not just for the old.  It's intelligent music and thats what I enjoy about it, regardless of how it is classified.
thehallway View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 10:13
I don't like to be associated with metal...

...not because I dislike the genre but because of the impression it gives older people. I've never really ventured into the metal realm to be honest, but can see no reason why may age would mean I am more likely to enjoy it, after all, there are 5 pages of posts here from people even younger than myself that enjoy prog rock - one of the least popular and most forgotten genres in popular music history!

But I tend to refrain from waggling my age in people's faces, as many (not all) over 30's talk down to you. They tell you that you are ignorant and must respect them. Respect does not appear with age! It is earnt right?

Neither does intelligence, self-awareness, or half of the other things the elderly blab about... Tongue

Of course, experience does come with age, and that can affect the the other attributes.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 10:27

The oldest music I listen to is probably The Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel, I really can't get into Elvis.....

The newest music I listen to is from the future.....

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 10:59
Originally posted by thehallway thehallway wrote:

I've never really ventured into the metal realm to be honest, but can see no reason why may age would mean I am more likely to enjoy it, after all, 

Because it's energetic and intense music and youngsters are more likely to like it than oldies, that's all, so simple. Confused  It is also generally true that a lot of music that sounds too polite and sleepy to young ears will sound more appealing with the passage of time.  Why do people take offence to generalizations on human tendencies these days?  There's nothing wrong with looking at things in a particular way depending on your age, it's part and parcel of life.  
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 11:56
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I've never really ventured into the metal realm to be honest, but can see no reason why may age would mean I am more likely to enjoy it, after all, 

Because it's energetic and intense music and youngsters are more likely to like it than oldies, that's all, so simple. Confused  It is also generally true that a lot of music that sounds too polite and sleepy to young ears will sound more appealing with the passage of time.  Why do people take offence to generalizations on human tendencies these days?  There's nothing wrong with looking at things in a particular way depending on your age, it's part and parcel of life.  

I agree with your last two sentences, but the metal stereotype simply isn't true and that's why I'm not content with it.

It doesn't apply to me, to 90% of the young people who have posted in this thread, or to 90% of the other teenagers I know (and I go to a large school). Perhaps things are slightly different in America?

But more important than the sterotype itself, is the reaction it generates from older people, which is generally negative (a stereotype that there are far more examples of on this forum and elsewhere).

That people of all ages judge those younger than them is natural; but that these judgements are inherently negative, and are based on false premises regarding somebody's listening habits, is something that is bound to annoy me.

Tell me that King Crimson isn't intense or energetic any day of the week and I should think you a fool! Big smile

JS19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 13:28
I recently went to the John Anderson/Rick Wakeman concerts and I was literally the only person under 35 there ... sad
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 13:32
Originally posted by JS19 JS19 wrote:

I recently went to the John Anderson/Rick Wakeman concerts and I was literally the only person under 35 there ... sad

Apart from me! I was at the Basingstoke show Hug

Noak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 13:44

Maybe you've been listening to the wrong kind of metal.  There's some excellent avant-metal stuff out there, and a lot of post-stuff has drone/noise influences.

Given the stuff you've listed up there, Kayo Dot (all of their styles) would be right up your alley.

Don't get me wrong, I don't dislike metal at all. I'm a big fan of old school Death Metal and a lot of Black Metal. Progressive Metal has never struck a chord with me really though. And there are a few worthwhile Avant Garde Metal bands out there, but they generally lack a lot of what I like in metal. I like the raw anger and power of Death and Black Metal. I've listened to Kayo Dot and I really don't see what the hype is all about. I thought it was quite boring.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 15:45
I'm thinking we need a thread for those between 40 and 18.
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Tengent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 19:08
I'm 16 and I hate Porcupine Tree and Camel. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 19:38

but the metal stereotype simply isn't true and that's why I'm not content with it.

Bruce Dickinson is on record saying Iron Maiden's audiences WORLWIDE after 25 or more years of being on the road are young.  Metal attracts more youngsters, what is there to debate about this?

It doesn't apply to me, to 90% of the young people who have posted in this thread, or to 90% of the other teenagers I know (and I go to a large school).

What, 90% of young people here don't like metal? That's not what I have read on this thread and not my general impression of the forum either. And you must be attending a very, ermm, progressive school because in most places, people are going to tell it off as too acid or polite. 

That people of all ages judge those younger than them is natural; but that these judgements are inherently negative, and are based on false premises regarding somebody's listening habits, is something that is bound to annoy me.

You do realize that The Jester himself is one of those 'young guys' to quote from his OP? LOL 

Tell me that King Crimson isn't intense or energetic any day of the week and I should think you a fool! Big smile

It is not as intense as Slayer, more pertinently.  I am talking only about a physical sense of intensity, not the intensity of the emotions. 
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 20:11
Originally posted by The_Jester The_Jester wrote:

Is there young progers out there that still appreciate something else in prog than prog metal? I'm of those guys.

You forget that our version of "metal" in those days were the likes of Black Sabbath, Uriah Heep, Spooky Tooth ... and eventually ran into the Dio family and all that ... and you know where that went ... they are the granpa's of metal anyway!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Proletariat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 20:28

The oldest music I listen to is probably The Beatles and Simon and Garfunkel, I really can't get into Elvis.....

The newest music I listen to is from the future.....
your a prog fan, dont try and get into elvis... try sinatra or nat king cole or ray charles or fats waller or buddy rich or louis armstrong, somthing jazzy and i promise it will appeal more than elvis will
who hiccuped endlessly trying to giggle but wound up with a sob
Collaborator
Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 20:29
Originally posted by Tengent Tengent wrote:

I'm 16 and I hate Porcupine Tree and Camel. 

When it comes to music the only way I really get to hate something is to be forced to listen to it more than once.  I can run away if I need to. Wink

Oh, and by the way, when it comes to Elvis, you really don't need to own any of his albums as you have probably heard the stuff in your life enough already.

Edited by Slartibartfast - November 29 2010 at 20:33

irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2010 at 20:54
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I'm thinking we need a thread for those between 40 and 18.

I was thinking the exact same thing! LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 33>