Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

The Krautrock Space

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 64>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
harmonium.ro View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote harmonium.ro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 31 2011 at 10:07
Yes, it's this button from the Post Reply editor: Insert Movie
The Wrinkler View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2011 at 16:16
Some fat bass tone goodness, Faust's "pop" song, but still very cool. I enjoy it...

I just got the Feeling album, by Lightshine. Anyone a fan of them?

Edited by The Wrinkler - April 03 2011 at 16:17
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2011 at 16:39
Just got Gila's, Free Electric Sound!

Trippy jam...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 14:43
Hello Krautrockers,

It's been awhile since I've posted on here, but I was off exploring some new music. I'm doing an informative speech on Krautrock for my public speaking class, and I've been trying to organize what I'm going to talk about, and gathering information. One of the things I get to do is show a one minute clip or audioclip. But who was the band to speak for the whole Krautrock genre? In Krautrock, Amon Duul II, CAN, Faust, and Neu! we were the big names. I wanted to play something accessible to the class, while demonstrating the Krautrock sound, something to inspire them to want to explore the genre, or at least listen to my speech. Which led me to look into Neu!.

Neu!'s first album is one of my favorites, but in this time and day, Neu! is hard to find. I finally have Neu! 75!!! It is such an awesome album. The history behind the album is really interesting, and the album is an inspiration, not only to David Bowie, Eno, or Radiohead, but to music as a whole! In the progressive genre, this is one of the most beautiful, cool albums you can listen to, and also the most accessible Neu! album for the new Krautrockers! The first half of the album is the classic two man group, with Rother's ambient sound. The second is Dinger's harder side. I really love how the first three tracks are soo moving, and beautiful. I just love how Isi starts. Those first 7 seconds, sooo epic! Leb' Wohl's beautifully closes the first side. Then we get Dinger's harder, rock and roll edge on the second side. We get a fusion of Krautrock/punk, or Krautpunk Tongue, but it's referred to as proto-punk. As mentioned by a lot of people that are familiar with this album, this music is ahead of it's time, and an inspiration to music. God I love Dinger's snarl! What's cool about this punk sound is that it has the Neu!'s trademark motorik beat!

Please please please!, if you have not heard this album, look for it! Buy it online, at a store, or download, you have to hear how awesome this album is! You will not be sorry!!! Ying Yang

Edited by The Wrinkler - April 14 2011 at 14:43
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 14:54
Guru Guru are the archetypical Krautrock band. They are style chameleons and started with free jams, interwoven with hard rock, But they played jazz-rock too, rock 'n roll, had African and Latin influences, dabbled in reggae, in funk and whatever. And drummer Mani Neumeier not only is an icon in the German rock scene, he is one of the very best drummers out there and an excellent showman.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 16:03
Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

Hello Krautrockers,

It's been awhile since I've posted on here, but I was off exploring some new music. I'm doing an informative speech on Krautrock for my public speaking class, and I've been trying to organize what I'm going to talk about, and gathering information. One of the things I get to do is show a one minute clip or audioclip. But who was the band to speak for the whole Krautrock genre? In Krautrock, Amon Duul II, CAN, Faust, and Neu! we were the big names. I wanted to play something accessible to the class, while demonstrating the Krautrock sound, something to inspire them to want to explore the genre, or at least listen to my speech. Which led me to look into Neu!.

I highly recommend that you see the Krautrock Special that is on the net in 6 parts ... that first part is incendiary ... like those days.

What you will find, is that your start is gonna change, since you could quickly connect this to film, painting, theater and other arts ... the connection of which we don't like to investigate ... as it is way too big ... but it explains a lot of things.

All in all, after you hear Edgar's words about this, think of Jean Luc Godard a few years earlier doing what he called "anti-film" ... and in the end, my term is that almost all of this is "anti-music" ... with a heavy accent on what Edgar Froese was stating ...

You have to start with "nothing" ... instead of an idea ... and that was the point that got many of these going ... and it's hard for us to accept because we think that "nothing" means we're dead or stupid! The idea is ... that when you start with "YOU", you can find something in the mirror ... if you are starting with an idea ... the image in the mirror is out of focus and mixed ... because any idea is a filter! (using an analogy for you!)

I don't think that the bands themselves are more important than the rest of the arts around them ... and this is the most important part of it all ... with the difference that there were more artists that helped make this whole thing visible, and establish it, than otherwise ... and the media and press be darned and damned ...  and check out the names of the music folks, classical and otherwise, and then the names of the writers and film makers. And then realize how many people here have not seen much of anything in that area to get a stronger perspective. Peter Handke was doing with words and letters the same thing that Damo did - which suggests that Damo was well aware of the theater and film scenes and this is what he wanted to try and do, and he had amazing courage to go out, and then do it!

Please see that special ... by the time you hear the strands of "All Along the Watchtower" ... I had tears in my eyes ... it was hard to believe that someone could ... with a few images ... explain a lot of this work so well! AND so clearly, which is something that we have a hard time appreciating and studying ... and imagine ... what an anthem Epitath is with the same image and situation!

Edited by moshkito - April 14 2011 at 16:13
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
QuestionableScum View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote QuestionableScum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 14 2011 at 22:49
I really should post here, given my enjoyment of the Krautrock that I have checked out. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 02:41
moshkito,

Hi, I've seen that documentary before, that film inspired me to listen to Krautrock. The history behind it was so fascinating. Their music was so out there, it was simple, yet catchy. It was harsh, and relentless. Neu! is a 2 man group, but created a whole band. The simplicity to their music was so trance like. But I am re-watching the documentary, and I'm on part 3 right now. I like how they were considered, "experimenters" instead of musicians. Because that is what they did. They were non-musicians making music. On an interview with Drummer Jaki Liebezeit he was comparing music to the game of soccer. How you have to know the rules of the game, but as a player, you have to have that free form when you play. I feel as though from these 2 quotes, all the German people felt that same sense, that they were experimenters, and they could do whatever they wanted, but following the rules of music.
cannon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cannon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 11:33
Here's a album that has stirred alot of controversy over the years, Orion Awakes by Golem released in 1973. Some say and argue that this album wasn't recorded at the date mentioned that it was done in the '90's with the resurgence of krautrock. One has to make thier own judgement. I think it's quite possible that it was recorded in 1973. Anyway, it's fantastic instrumental krautrock/psych/space. I paid big money for the CD about 10 years ago.

Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 15 2011 at 11:38
Golem are very good!
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
presdoug View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote presdoug Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 18 2011 at 20:15
Anybody here heard of the Galactic Explorers? They were an all electronic German krautrock band that were made up of just two people, one of whom was Reinhard Karwatky who had come from Dzyan, but in this group he plays synths pretty well exclusively.(They do not sound like Dzyan) They had one studio album.
Mosis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 24 2011 at 04:38
best thread on the internet.
AtomicCrimsonRush View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AtomicCrimsonRush Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 04:36
For the newbies i want to repost the Krautrock Documentary links

Enjoy this amazing documentary.

Krautrock Rules!

Seriously love it and I have to post this as a starting point for alL those who are not initiated...

Forgive my indulgence but thats how I operate at the best of times... and the worst...

Edited by AtomicCrimsonRush - April 25 2011 at 04:38
Prog Geo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Geo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 06:06
Very good documentary! I have watched it before 3 months I think.
Sonorous Meal show every Sunday at 20:00 (greek time) on http://www.justincaseradio.com
Mosis View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 25 2011 at 23:56
thanks for posting it (again). too bad the last part is f**ked up - i was really enjoying the documentary. i love watching the musicians reminiscing and understanding the cultural/political pressures that gave rise to this music. it's nice to observe the "human" element of the music, too, given how otherworldly it is.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 00:31
Cool, thanks for reposting the Krautrock documentary so the newbies can learn a little history about the genre. Wink So last Thursday I gave my Krautrock speech for my public speaking class. I hope they enjoyed my speech and presentation. I gave them a brief history of the genre, and the sound, with some of the important "kraut" bands. So, for this week, we should share our favorite Krautrock songs from the "classic" kraut bands: Amon Duul II, Ash Ra Tempel, CAN, Faust, Neu!.

Now... let Krautrock week commence!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 26 2011 at 00:38
I read a story about this album, and it was very interesting. Malesch, by Agitation Free was all themed around their trip to Egypt, and the middle east. I always knew about that whole "eastern" influence sound, but never did I realize the true beauty of Malesch. Malesch was suppose to mean, "take it easy, or relax" and that's what this whole album is. It's a space jam through the Middle East. Sahara City was describing Egypt at night. It starts off quiet, and then explodes into this badass jam for the last 2 mins...

This album makes me want to go to Egypt. They had a lot of fun there.

Edited by The Wrinkler - April 26 2011 at 00:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 02:34
After watching this video, I wanted to play music that was heavy, but in a sort of free form jam sound. I started banging the drums heavily, but with that slow, laid back kind of feeling to the drums. My friend could not keep up with my drumming, and said I was too experimental for her. Cry I wish music could be more like this! Serious musicians having fun, and experimenting with sound...

BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldFriede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 28 2011 at 18:12
Originally posted by The Wrinkler The Wrinkler wrote:

After watching this video, I wanted to play music that was heavy, but in a sort of free form jam sound. I started banging the drums heavily, but with that slow, laid back kind of feeling to the drums. My friend could not keep up with my drumming, and said I was too experimental for her. Cry I wish music could be more like this! Serious musicians having fun, and experimenting with sound...

I like this video from the same TV-show even better because it features Chris Karrer on violin. He is one of the wildest  violinists out there.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Wrinkler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2011 at 04:48
Faust's debut was my first album I listened to from Faust. It was...really weird. It was so weird that I did not want to listen to it anymore. Why Don't You Eat Carrots was really disturbing to me at the time. Meadow Meal had a sweet guitar part, but then the raining part was just plain random. Miss Fortune was too much for me. I did not want to touch Faust music. Then I gave them another try when I saw a Faust IV cd at my local record store. Because of Faust IV, I now like Faust's debut album. It really is a weird album, but Faust "ruined" my taste for music! I am forced to listen to their circus-like rock sound, and their harsh sharp noise/static. The first Faust album really is a good album, if you can get into the Faust sound!

I do like the rain part now! Smoke
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 64>