FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedthe importance of analog sound in prog

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 38>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 15:45
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Commerciality is not about deliberately making music that will sell, it's about selling the music you make.

Welearned a lot more about this, when Led Z and the Rolling Stones became the massive money makers in 1974 and on that day, the distribution conglomerate dropped (we estimated) over 300 bands. We know that AD2, Can, Neu, and several others were in that mix, as things went back to "imports".

I do not disagree with commerciality/industrialism. The part/side I disagree with is the greed side of it, and paying several million for a 20ft mechanical penis for the stage! For which many artists were dropped from distribution and the chance to make a dollar or two on your next album!

But this is distorting the equation. At the time, when Streisand/Kristofferson did their album the "new" price here was "$6.98". I can tell you I produced an album and made 1,000 copies in 1978 of Guy's comedy on Space Pirate Radio and that cost me a total of $1972 dollars, including the hard cover, cellophane wrap and the master. If it had been 5K copies it would have been half that price per unit! Thus, at 100k copies you knew the LP was about 50 cents in America at the most!  Math states that the artist was nowhere near even a 5% take. And we know that both TD and Gong still have a lawsuit on Branson for unpaid moneys!  English Imperialism at its best ... and allowed by the House of Lords and what not!

And it was one moment with the Firesign Theater, that one of their "friends" named "Bill McIntyre" was trying hard to tell them NOT to sign with Columbia again and do their own company instead. They did not do that, and got peanuts for the next 5 years, yet again ... and many of them had to go hussle jobs elsewhere to pay for their houses and what not! I think this was already about 1975 or 1976, and got to me somewhat 2nd hand, but it was the first time that it was much clearer that the "colonel" process was going to die off ... but it took almost 20 years for it to die off due to advertising ... and it was the Internet that changed it for good!

So yeah, bandX makes 100 million and that money is not going to help 100 other bands in peanuts and almonds anymore ... but then, I don't see the folks that paid Roger Waters sharing the money either ... I see their yearly income looking really good, though ... it's public listing by law in America!

Sorry to have gotten off the subject.

Nah, it was never like that. Progressive Rock was never about "the revolution", there are no Prog protest songs (well, don't kill the whale, dig it). There was no Prog at Woodstock, Monterey or Altamount, the hippie dream died at the end of the summer of love, Prog picked over its psychedelic carcass and took away nothing but the music, leaving the flower-power nonsense and student-campus idealism behind in the mud. When Prog arrived (let's pretend it was 1969, it saves a lot of time and argument), the revolution was over and lost. Prog went forward without a message and without a banner to wave (it had a waver waiver) - it was about the music and little else - the concept was the concept - telling stories, not changing the world.

There was some progressive music at Woodstock ... but when the Incredible String Band did a part of "U" in there, everyone went ... wtf? What was that? Woodstock went after the bigger names, and played the lesser known ones late at night.

But you can not say ... for example, in listing that poster that you had that Edgar Broughton Band was not political, when one of their most famous pieces was an anti VietNam song ... that really ripped it! And KC is not political in that first album? ... you're kidding me, right? ... I think they were told to tone it down for the 2nd album, and that just made the music less vital than the first album, and almost a complete copy of the original.

There was no art scene associated with prog - no Prog literature, no Prog film, no Prog theatre - what little art that existed was in the cover artwork, and that was also used to sell Science Fiction pulp paperbacks and Motown Chartbusters.

Ohhh yes there was ... from the posters to many writings ... even Richard Bach was a part of it all ... and Hipgnosis ... and Pete Sinfield. The Krautrock had Wim Wenders, Werner Herzog, Paul Handke and many others ... and Malcom Mooney was an "American Actor" ... the mixes is a lot more than we give it "credit" for ... and most of that stuff came off the "bad days" and the "bad dream" that went away with the garbage!

I always said that the European scene was the natural element for taking the music further ... because Americans, in a public/commercial sort of way did not, and still don't, have an appreciation for "art" ... and its many forms ... but they will pay someone in Eugene massive amounts of money to teach an art class how to create art with "bombs" ... NO KIDDING! .... Europe has history of the arts ... America doesn't and killed a lot of the indian and black arts for too long in their history and until those get revived the "American" vision and art, will not be remembered, other than the likes of Warhol, which was a media sensation. But then so was Burroughs, Bach, Kesey and others ... and some film makers, the most notorious one? ... the ultimate hippy ... and he went out and did "MASH" with his fingers up in the air, which became a famous TV show later!

Massive connection, at least in the "healthy disrespect" for authority and commercial control. And one could easily say that Daevid Allen, Robert Wyatt, and many others ... are still the ultimate hippies in their styles and music work. And they still dress like it!

The synth was never the "spokesperson" of Prog Rock, kind of or otherwise.

Agreed. I did say ... kinda interesting that the synthesizer came up at that time ... probably because the time, place and such helped with learning new things ... I doubt someone could get financing today to do what some of those folks did in the 50's ... that helped create the synthesizer ... and with today's media, while it would be easier to share information, the amount of mis-information would also help kill it!

Gotta have money for the football team, you know!!!!!!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2012 at 19:29
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

^To me the sounds are too connected and there is not enough separation in the different string sounds....the lows are just not the same on CD and the highs can be too shrilly.....

Eh...if the highs are too shrilly, it is most definitely a poor recording job than a problem with the medium itself.   Anyhow, I think this has been re-iterated several times....that dynamic range is not an issue in CDs but how many people today master them is the issue.   I - and Dean - are talking about the medium and you insist on using some examples of albums to define the medium...fine.  
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 11:36
^ Then apperantly almost all mastering people are doing the same thing......a very bad job as compared to what the vinyl world is used to hearing. A lot of listeners have been complaining about the sound of CDs for almost as long as they have been out.....regardless of genre.
I have no problem saying the medium of digital/CD is fine, and for music its actually very good. But a majority of what I have been putting into my CDP and hearing is not that great......And since my only control is what I listen to, I wil always prefer vinyl for the reasons that the whole digital process of bringing it to my home is still not very good.

This thinking goes back to the thread...."is the CD Dead?" If these recording engineers do not figure out how to make the process sound better and not please the majority of listenerss then maybe it is dead......There are a lot of people who feel the whole CD process needs to get better.
And right now the answer/alternative is high resolution files 24/96, 24/192 and eventually higher......Yes I totally agree maybe that is overkill.....but it is what's available as an alternative to CD listener fatigue and the shrill.

And since music is 99.99% about marketing, people will buy what sounds best regardless of what might have happened in the studio or by an engineer........And its why I believe there has been such a huge revival of the vinyl format, and not so much with the older crowd, as we already have tons of vinyl. But the growth has been with the 20-30 yr olds who want better sound. I have asked young kids in the record stores why they are looking for vinyl, the basic reply is it sounds better, its a choice they are making.......Consumers want that warm organic sound of vinyl.

Again, CDs will always have a place in my system......Its just not the best sound for my ears in the long run.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 11:45
^^^^  Well, seismic shifts in music tastes like in the 80s are tough to reverse.   That was roughly the point bands decided everything should sound 'perfect' and if that meant making it robotic, it was par for the course.  You'll still find people who prefer recordings that sound that way.   They want to hear 'flawless' recordings, not recordings that sound human.  I am pretty sure that such people are not the ones craving for vinyl; in all likelihood they just rip music to Itunes direct and don't bother with any physical medium.  

The sounds captured on analog in the 70s are lost more or less for good now;  what retro bands, whether in prog or hard rock, play is a pale imitation of those sounds at best.   Forget the medium, the very instruments sound different today.   I have watched Shakti live and the sound is different in that sense from the 70s...that the musicians are still incredible is an entirely different matter.  

If what you are looking for in a contemporary CD is those vintage analog sounds you remember from the 70s, you won't get it.   For that matter, even a remaster is going to sound different because most of the time, they seem to beef up the sound and push rhythm to the front of the mix to 'equalize' it with modern CDs.   The most faithful CDs are imo the ones that were issued before the remaster craze began;  I have a CD of Virgin Killer and it doesn't sound all beefed up and 'powerful' because it is not a remaster.  So my point is simply that if you took a contemporary band with contemporary sounds and recorded them on analog, it would probably have many of the same things that you dislike in CDs of such bands.   Jerry Cantrell used to play heavy guitar in a lively, bluesy way (clearly influenced by Iommi) but many more modern guitarists prefer a very super polished approach to the instrument that I don't really like to hear in heavy music.  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2012 at 16:54
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Commerciality is not about deliberately making music that will sell, it's about selling the music you make.

Welearned a lot more about this, when Led Z and the Rolling Stones became the massive money makers in 1974 and on that day, the distribution conglomerate dropped (we estimated) over 300 bands. We know that AD2, Can, Neu, and several others were in that mix, as things went back to "imports".
Disties do not make records, record companies make records. Obviously I don't know anything of the event you are talking about but 300 doesn't sound such a big deal to me. Back then every month there would be hundreds of new releases. Most of those would never make any money, most would not sell in any significant numbers, most wouldn't sell even a fraction of the stock from their first pressing and certainly would never get a second pressing, most of them would end up in remainder bins with a significant mark-down (and their corners docked to show they had been remaindered). I would imagine that most disties would drop several hundred titles every year from their catalogue and this was neither an unusual event nor was it in any way connected to Led Zepp or Strolling Bones selling lots of albums. And since you never mentioned it, I'm sure record labels also dropped several hundred poorly selling artists from their roster every year. And I see no crime in that (unless I was one of those artists who got paid an advance to record an album that never sold,and I'd be sure to blame the record label for those poor sales too). Unless you could sell sell an album at a steady rate over a long period of time it would be discontinued, this is standard practice in any publishing business, whether that's music, film or print - that has nothing to do with greed and everything to do with expedient business practices.

I do not disagree with commerciality/industrialism. The part/side I disagree with is the greed side of it, and paying several million for a 20ft mechanical penis for the stage! For which many artists were dropped from distribution and the chance to make a dollar or two on your next album!
Again, disties do not make records, record companies make records, also disties do not construct 20-foot mecanical phalli for stage-sets, and neither do record companies - that honour goes to the "greedy" artist who wants to entertain their audience with a 20-foot mechanical phallus, and if they did (and it would not cost several million even if they did) there is no correlation what so ever between that and a a disty "dropping" many artists from their catalogues.

Disties make money by buying albums from the record companies and selling them to the record stores - they add the cost of shipping from one location to another onto the price they pay the record company (with a percentage mark-up for profit and a percentage overhead for their warehouses, trucking and staff wages) and charge that to the record stores, who then factor-in their shop-rent and staff wages and their profit margin and charge that total price to the customer - who in exchange for some real cash walks away with the album of their latest faddist musical hero and all is happy and wonderful. This all goes titsup when the faddish and fickle customer doesn't want to buy a particular album, because then the store has to shift the stock they've bought from the disty by selling them at reduce profit margin, so next time the storekeeper won't buy any of that album, or perhaps even any of that artist, from the disty, and now the disty is stuck with a warehouse full of those albums that the record stores aren't buying, and he has to try and sell them back to the record company, who obviously doesn't want them either, so the disty say - "fair enough squire, I'm no longer going to stock any albums by that artist ever again". All that and nary a 20-foot phallus to be seen and greed certainly does not come into it.

But this is distorting the equation.
You're not wrong there Wink

At the time, when Streisand/Kristofferson did their album the "new" price here was "$6.98". I can tell you I produced an album and made 1,000 copies in 1978 of Guy's comedy on Space Pirate Radio and that cost me a total of $1972 dollars, including the hard cover, cellophane wrap and the master. If it had been 5K copies it would have been half that price per unit! Thus, at 100k copies you knew the LP was about 50 cents in America at the most!  Math states that the artist was nowhere near even a 5% take.
And how much did you pay to have the album recorded; how much did you pay for studio-time and studio staff wages; how much did you pay the graphic artist for the cover artwork and all the publicity artwork; and how much did you pay for office rent and staff wages; and how much for promotion and distribution; and how much for publicity, newspaper and magazine advertisements, billboards hoardings, product placements and in-store promotions, tv-adverts and representation at trade-events; how much for "pay to play" public appearances and travel and subsistence to such events; and how many cities, states, countries did you sell into; and how did you transport and promote in those other locations, did you do it yourself or employ local representation or contractors; and how much was reinvested in artists and repertoire (A&R) scouting and representation; how much was reinvested into the next release or next 10 releases???? If your answer to all of those was "zero" then your selling price is your cost price and you are not a record company, you are a hobbyist making a one-off vanity release that you know will make a loss, and sure you can do that for $2 a disc, you may have even sold a lot of them ... I know in my time of doing that we managed to shift a several hundred discs that way.

Nah, it was never like that. Progressive Rock was never about "the revolution", there are no Prog protest songs (well, don't kill the whale, dig it). There was no Prog at Woodstock, Monterey or Altamount, the hippie dream died at the end of the summer of love, Prog picked over its psychedelic carcass and took away nothing but the music, leaving the flower-power nonsense and student-campus idealism behind in the mud. When Prog arrived (let's pretend it was 1969, it saves a lot of time and argument), the revolution was over and lost. Prog went forward without a message and without a banner to wave (it had a waver waiver) - it was about the music and little else - the concept was the concept - telling stories, not changing the world.

There was some progressive music at Woodstock ... but when the Incredible String Band did a part of "U" in there, everyone went ... wtf? What was that? Woodstock went after the bigger names, and played the lesser known ones late at night.
One band. And they were first and foremost a Pschedelic Folk band.

But you can not say ... for example, in listing that poster that you had that Edgar Broughton Band was not political, when one of their most famous pieces was an anti VietNam song ... that really ripped it! And KC is not political in that first album? ... you're kidding me, right? ... I think they were told to tone it down for the 2nd album, and that just made the music less vital than the first album, and almost a complete copy of the original.
Political is not the same as being part of "The revolution" or making protest songs. EBB (who were not a Prog Band) were signed to EMI - at that time EMI also made guided missiles- if they were truly anti-war they should have changed labels. ItCotCK was recorded during the dying throws of the hippy movement - the album is as much a comment on that  as anything (and confusion will indeed be my epitaph).

There was no art scene associated with prog - no Prog literature, no Prog film, no Prog theatre - what little art that existed was in the cover artwork, and that was also used to sell Science Fiction pulp paperbacks and Motown Chartbusters.

Ohhh yes there was ... from the posters to many writings ... even Richard Bach was a part of it all ... and Hipgnosis ... and Pete Sinfield. The Krautrock had Wim Wenders, Werner Herzog, Paul Handke and many others ... and Malcom Mooney was an "American Actor" ... the mixes is a lot more than we give it "credit" for ... and most of that stuff came off the "bad days" and the "bad dream" that went away with the garbage!
I disagree. That is simply not enough to claim that there was "an art scene, with literature, painting, film, theater and many other arts" - film directors use contemporary music in their films, that in itself does not create "an art scene". Later Wender would use contemporary music from the late 80s that was neither Prog nor Krautrock (for example Crime & the City Solution, R.E.M, Elvis Costello etc etc.). None of those directors made "Prog" or "Krautrock" films, hence it there was no "art scene".

I'm sorry, I have no idea who Paul Handke is.

I always said that the European scene was the natural element for taking the music further ... because Americans, in a public/commercial sort of way did not, and still don't, have an appreciation for "art" ... and its many forms ... but they will pay someone in Eugene massive amounts of money to teach an art class how to create art with "bombs" ... NO KIDDING! .... Europe has history of the arts ... America doesn't and killed a lot of the indian and black arts for too long in their history and until those get revived the "American" vision and art, will not be remembered, other than the likes of Warhol, which was a media sensation. But then so was Burroughs, Bach, Kesey and others ... and some film makers, the most notorious one? ... the ultimate hippy ... and he went out and did "MASH" with his fingers up in the air, which became a famous TV show later!
But that was Hippy and Flower Power and Psychedelic and post-Beatnic and all that - Not Prog. It was all before Prog, they all belonged to the "before Prog" generation.

Massive connection, at least in the "healthy disrespect" for authority and commercial control. And one could easily say that Daevid Allen, Robert Wyatt, and many others ... are still the ultimate hippies in their styles and music work. And they still dress like it!
I give up. Hippies =/= Proggies.

The synth was never the "spokesperson" of Prog Rock, kind of or otherwise.

Agreed. I did say ... kinda interesting that the synthesizer came up at that time ... probably because the time, place and such helped with learning new things ... I doubt someone could get financing today to do what some of those folks did in the 50's ... that helped create the synthesizer ... and with today's media, while it would be easier to share information, the amount of mis-information would also help kill it!
That's just nonsense. I would love to see your documented evidence for this.

Edited by Dean - October 10 2012 at 18:58
What?
Surrealist View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 12 2012 at 23:19
Hi everyone,
This is my first post here.. actually first post on any progressive rock forum.  This topic interested me because I feel strongly about it.

I will say that the analog vs digital debate is very real and I know a very sensitive issue for many.  For reference sake I am 48 and was a freshman at University when CD's became the craze.  They were nifty little things, and we all loved the idea at the time of no clicks and pops or scratches, or our cassette tapes being eaten in the player.  I understand however, many here are probably a lot younger and didn't live through that era, but were raised in the digital generation.

My feeling is that analog can sound worse, or far superior to CD depending upon several issues.  First will be your analog set up.  The main critical components are your cartridge, your tone arm and deck, your amplifier, interconnects, speakers of course, the room's acoustic properties and your speaker placement.  Some of these issues are more critical than some of the others.. but none can be completely overlooked if you are seeking a proper set up.

I am going to guess that the posters here whom are die hard digital believers simply have not heard a proper analog set up.
It's understandable, because not a lot of people have proper set ups these days.  If I could give an analogy, I would suggest that digital music is similar to digital photography.  It looks fine from a distance as the eye can't really see the pixel properties.  Same thing in music really.  But if you start to zoom in... you start to see tiny squares of shaded colors.  Upon closer examination it starts to look like a chess board.  It certainly does not get more interesting.

A good analog system really puts the music under the microscope.  Not just the production but the performance, the ambiance and feel of the room or the subtle nature of the processing gear.

If you look at the physics of it.... a 16 bit rendering of an analog source input simply cannot compare to the original data that is being input into the computer or sampler.

Remastering in the digital world can sound better or worse depending upon what the objective was.. and if the listener relates to that objective.  This could also be called remixing the album if one had access to the original source tapes which is often not the case. 

I didn't really "get" a lot of this stuff until I got into a reasonably good analog set up.  I spent money on a cartridge, and a properly restored vintage tube amp which to me is absolutely critical.  I am listening through 4 high efficiency horn and passive radiator speakers, a pair on each side running in serial.  I have a subwoofer just barely audible or bled into my mix to fill in the low end frequencies one would only really feel in the body.

The modern argument suggests that we don't need to be exposed to frequencies beyond what the human ear can process.  I disagree with this.  The lower frequencies that can't be heard can still be felt within the body.  I am sure higher frequencies have an effect on our skin and or other parts of our bodies that can be felt or experienced outside of the ears.

I am not here to boast about my stereo.. only to say that if I have a copy of music on both vinyl and CD, and cue them up and play side by side... there is no real comparison.  It is not very subjective like wine tasting.  It's big stuff. 

I am not crazy into the audiophile world.. but I have about $2000 invested.  It's more than most would spend, but if you are posting on a site like this.. I would assume music is a pretty important part of your life.  To me it's worth it. 
Last year I sold a pair of "Belle's" to a wealthy hardcore audiophile nut who heard my system and said his $100,000 digital system paled in comparison.  He literally shook his head in disbelief, and said he really didn't want to admit such a thing.. but appreciated me sharing my thoughts with him.  He was a nice guy.

A quick thought on speakers.  Horns sound best played back through horn drivers.  And if you are into bass guitar, most of those great electric bassists used a 15 inch cone in their rack.  I suggest putting a 15 inch speaker into your system for playback if you want realism.  I disagree that the smaller cone long throw subs move air the same way.  They just don't.  I remember as a teen in the 70's going to a friends house and they would have these huge stacks of speaker cabinets, often the big JBL's stacked up in the garage and music sounded huge.. it was all about recreating the feeling of a live concert... not as things are now with ipods, earbuds and mp3 files with 500 hours of music conveniently stored in your pocket.  It was robust quality over convenience.  "Back to the Future" was not that much of an exaggeration when Marty gets thrown across the room from the sound waves from his amp .. lol.

The other big affect the digital age has had is on the musicians themselves as players.  In the pre digital age, in some ways you had to be a better player.  While they were punching in and out of tracks.. the musicians still at some point had to pull it off.  You couldn't create it by digitally manipulating sound files with pitch shifters and moving the kick and snare hits to the nearest 8th or 16th note. 

Drummers used to really have to grind out their takes.  Harder to punch drums also.  A good drummer who could really play in great time, and play creatively was very in demand before the invention of a drum machine.  Drum machines were very attractive when they came out for good reason.  A lot of advantages to a producer on the clock, and the fact that the public was open to buying that kind of sound made it even more so.

But getting back on topic here.. in the pre digital age.. as a musician, you kinda had to be better.... and this would be most evident in progressive rock... because of the virtuosity in much of the playing.  I will say that nowadays.. I am always suspicious of playing that sounds a bit "too good".  If often is simply studio digital trickery. 

Even something slickly produced like Floyd's DSOTM.  The drums are pretty loose by today's standards.  Mason's playing still sounds natural.  That record would not be made in that way today.  It would sound "better" technically, but probably not have the same effect.

So my feeling again is that the virtuosity in musicians was more "looked up to" in the 60's and 70's because even though there was studio magic going on.. it was nothing like what is going on today.. and the culture back then was aware of the honesty on those recordings in hindsight.

Sorry for the opening epic here.. just my thoughts on the subject. I hope this gives a couple readers here something to ponder.

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 01:31
^^^  I actually agree with many of those points and I am going to assume you didn't read my last response to Catcher10.  My question is,what are you, or any other listeners, going to do about it?   Questioning the digitally recorded album as a means of reproduction of music is barking up the wrong tree; there is a sea change in 'culture' from 70s to today, as your own comment captures, intentionally or unintentionally.   You are right, drum tracks in particular often sound robotic and calculated (mostly because they are - calculated and automatically reproduced and pasted wherever required in the song).   But if the music ethos of the 70s was so amazing, one has to wonder what exactly prompted the change.   I was not born in the 70s so I can't really hope to put a finger on it...but I suspect that there's basically too much of a good thing.  Reading what musicians had to say about the changes in the music business at that time, it seems to me that they were in fact immersed in the very pursuit of perfection that is criticized today.   Speaking of 'honesty', even back then musicians lip synched on videos, something that they ought not to have done if they valued honesty so much, at least not prog artists/bands like Steve Hackett/Renaissance.  More mainstream artists like Carpenters made no bones about the fact that they were studio cats through and through.  So perhaps they simply have the tools today to do what they always wanted to do, is that it?

Whether it's music or tennis, the rule is that what we don't have today is always more alluring than what we do have.    Today people crave for serve and volley but the excessive domination of serve was criticized in the 90s.   When CDs first hit the market, there was a lot of gee-whiz excitement about something new and the focus much more on what they didn't get in analog that they could now.   So the real problem may be that since then, we haven't yet found some other physical medium that is completely different from the CD (and is not vinyl either).   The problem with the music scene of today is not that it is so different from the 60s and 70s but that it has stagnated and the pace of change has slowed right down.  People say that 'tis the 21st century paradigm and you ought to get used to it, but what I hear in such rants is essentially a craving for excitement and a longing, in turn, for something that listeners once found exciting.   If there really was something exciting on the horizon, listeners would probably be too busy taking it in to lament the collapse of the 60s and 70s music culture.   It is with good reason that avid musicophiles advocate searching out good albums instead (which are still being made) because that is ultimately the simplest way to derive enjoyment from music.  

Edited by rogerthat - October 13 2012 at 02:45
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 02:53
Originally posted by Surrealist Surrealist wrote:

I am not crazy into the audiophile world.. but I have about $2000 invested.  It's more than most would spend, but if you are posting on a site like this.. I would assume music is a pretty important part of your life.  To me it's worth it. 

$2000 is like, 200 albums worth of money, man.

Edited by rogerthat - October 13 2012 at 02:54
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 03:13
What to do about it?

For me personally, or at least in my own bubble surroundings, I have done a lot about it.  I now have three vacuum tube amps that absolutely sound fantastic scattered around the house.  By really being able to hear the music recorded in the true vinyl era, it's opened my ears to a lot of stuff I would not have listened to 10 years ago... meaning.. I can really hear things I couldn't hear.  I can hear the way they mixed these albums.  I can really understand who were the great sound engineers and producers, and what they were doing.  I can not only hear tracks I didn't know existed, I can feel them.  To my ears, complex sound mixing peaked in the mid to late 70's.  Simpler clean recordings much earlier.
I often find myself listening to Getz Gilberto recorded in 1964 with ambient miking inside the Unitarian Church in NYC.
It's simple and clean and sonically beautiful.  These guys really knew what they were doing.  But you see, I can really now feel the difference where before I could just hear it.

Think of it this way....

One could text a digital photo of the Mona Lisa to a friend on an iphone.  Surely the image is recognizable.  You could say you have the Mona Lisa on your phone now.  I mean you have the image.  You can see the major stuff like the crooked smile, or the major shadows.  However, if you were to actually visit it in person, I do think you would have a different experience.  Even better if it was viewed without bullet proof glass in front of it.  There is texture in the paint strokes and texture to the canvas.  The analog experience offers a deeper experience if you are ready for it.  In music... you might need to get up to speed on a few things.  There is a difference between reading music and playing it.  There is a difference between hearing a snare drum and feeling the resonating qualities of a finely tuned birch or maple shell. 

I think the paradigm shift in the human collective consciousness has gravitated toward convenience.. and away from quality.  In the studio.. it's just easier to fix it in the mix than realize that maybe you shouldn't be there and really need to go home and practice the track.. or make it more interesting and really prepare to nail it... or even better yet.. really and truly strive for greatness.

As far as another physical medium.. I think reel to reel tape machines are fantastic.  There are studios still using them and for good reason.

But one of the big issues I have with modern vinyl releases is that they still sound digital.  I don't think too many pressing plants are getting analog source tape from the artist and cutting the master direct from reel to vinyl like the old days.  The new vinyl might sound better than 16 bit CD.. but more likely you are hearing a 24 bit rendering which is substantially better.. but still light years from a proper tape to vinyl transfer. 

I have a friend who is the bassist for a world class major touring Reggae act, and he dropped some new vinyl by the other day, and it sounds good.. but nothing like depth of say Marley's "Exodus". 

The vinyl itself is not going to make the music sound better... but the vinyl has the potential to offer a much better listening if the source tape is really something special. 

For example.. I was given Zep ll when I was 10, so this was 1974.. and I still have that copy.  It's scratched to hell but doesn't skip.  I bought a copy that was from a much later pressing.. probably in the last 10 years and it sounds really lifeless.  I would much rather listen to my early pressing than a clean modern pressing.  The bass in particular is so full and rich, and the modern pressing sounds like a 16 bit CD pressed onto vinyl. 

As far as honesty... one could argue that even simple multi tracking is dishonest.  But I would not overlook that the fact that the real limitations in editing and signal processing compared to the digital world, did make the musicians of the last generation practice harder and in doing so.. they also spent more time on their instruments and were able to explore more creative options in the moment... and not rely so much on post tracking production.

Sometimes magical things happen if presented a sense of urgency.  Didn't Wakeman record Awaken on a real pipe organ playing live with his YESmates over the telephone lines in the studio miles away?  I don't think the modern sampled keyboards ever sound as good as the real thing.  If you listen to Keys to Ascension, I think pretty obvious... from a standpoint of tonality for sure.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 03:25

Sure.. I agree.. more than most will spend.. but there are also lots of guys driving around in classic street rods that they have invested 20K into and are living almost on the poverty line.  I have friends doing that. 

My dad was an electrical engineer who graduated top of the class at UCLA.  He worked on tube gear and saw the change to solid state.  I asked him, why did everything go solid state?  He replied, "well, it was just a lot more cost effective and for most people, more reliable".  Ok I said.. but it was not better was it?  He replied... "Oh, of course not.. it was not better"  He said it as if my comment was an absurdity.  He knew. 

The tube amps can sound great.. even phenomenal.. but if you just pick one up that works but has not been properly restored or serviced.. it can sound dreadful.  So again.. it depends.  Everything needs to be working at the proper voltages inside.  All the capacitors and resistors... the selenium rectifier.. the tubes themselves... the power supplies.

Prior to my vintage tube amp.. I was into NAD stuff.  Everyone seems to think pretty highly of that.  When I switched to the tube amp.. I almost fell over in my chair when I first heard it.  It was like.. good lord.. really?  I had that NAD on ebay within hours, and sold it for more than I paid for my tube amp.  I felt guilty doing that actually.   I could NEVER go back to a solid state amp knowing what I know now.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 03:29
Personally, I would rather own 50 albums that I love and can really hear properly presented than own 2000 albums that I have to listen to on a solid state amp and a pair of Cerwin Vega's.  
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 03:37

What to do about it?

For me personally, or at least in my own bubble surroundings, I have done a lot about it.  

You misunderstood my question.  I didn't ask what you have done about it because you have already outlined it in detail.   What can you to fight the tide?  This is the reality, this is the extant music culture.  All you are doing is satisfying your desire to listen to music in a certain way.      

There is a difference between reading music and playing it.  There is a difference between hearing a snare drum and feeling the resonating qualities of a finely tuned birch or maple shell.  

That's very subjective, I am afraid.  I can feel the subtle changes in the force of  her fingers on the piano on a Fiona Apple album...on a CD.   Some details are more or less evident depending on the music system, but it also depends on the listener's capability to absorb these details.   Though I am not a professional singer, I am good enough to sing in public without causing major embarrassments to my hosts and I am positive that people who don't sing or play cannot feel the things that I do when I hear a singer...and I feel those things even on poor recordings with some disturbance because it's also a lot about intuition.   

I agree that the photograph of Mona Lisa is not the same thing as the actual painting.  But as far as recordings go, we are only talking about two kinds of photographs....maybe at the most the difference between Kodak film and digital.   But it's still just a photograph.  The actual authentic experience can only be obtained in a concert, there's no substitute for it.  And ever since the Beatles, if not before them,  musicians have attempted to use the studio to create sounds they cannot replicate live.   Which is perfectly fine to me;  I have always believed the studio album is meant to present a certain experience and is not just about bringing musicians you can't watch live closer to you.    

I think the paradigm shift in the human collective consciousness has gravitated toward convenience.. and away from quality.  In the studio.. it's just easier to fix it in the mix than realize that maybe you shouldn't be there and really need to go home and practice the track.. or make it more interesting and really prepare to nail it... or even better yet.. really and truly strive for greatness.  

That's YOUR take on it.   There are people who feel older recordings are not perfect and things have got better on that front.   What sounds human and real to you sounds flawed to them.  I like to feel the personality of a musician in the way he plays and the looseness is part of the package; but I am ok with it if that's not everybody's perspective on it.    It is also a big assumption that musicians do not have to practice anymore, as a lot of them do make their mark live and are capable of performing well live.   

As far as honesty... one could argue that even simple multi tracking is dishonest.  

Indeed, see above.   It is music, it is art and art is about projection.   There is a lot of make believe in art anyway.   A studio album works well when it creates a frame of reference for this make believe that resonates.   Vinyl won't save them if they can't do that.  
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 03:51
What can I do to fight the tide?

I am not really interested in fighting the tide.  I own a record label.  I am able to pay musicians I like. I have released a lot of music into the world.  I am building a new all analog studio without one computer in it.  I am saving 1000s of vinyl records from the landfills.

That's YOUR take on it.

Never said it wasn't my take.  I doubt I am the only one who thinks that way.. but if I am... then maybe others who read this forum might have a second thought about a few things and if it leads them to a better listening experience, then I am glad to have expressed such a "take".

That's very subjective, I am afraid.

I am not afraid of the subjective nature of any experience.  But you have to also bring something to the table when making value judgments.  Experience.. background, education,  communication.  Subjectivity is a two way street for sure. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 04:35

Never said it wasn't my take.  I doubt I am the only one who thinks that way.. but if I am... then maybe others who read this forum might have a second thought about a few things and if it leads them to a better listening experience, then I am glad to have expressed such a "take".

That's fine but it is these claims about the media - analog or digital - that I am not very comfortable with.   You  have talked about background and experience, etc etc and that is actually a big part of the listening experience.   It's three things taken together as far an album goes  - the band, the medium and the listener.  A listener may or may not hear certain things and a band may or may not be interested in presenting certain things.   I don't need a high quality recording to be able to feel the music because I am not so much interested in the texture of the sounds.  I don't listen to music just for the sounds,  I am much more interested in the composition itself.  It is ultimately about what a listener wants to hear in the music, that's my point.   A particular listener may not like to hear the music on digital, or analog as applicable, but it doesn't mean the medium is everything, or should be everything, for all listeners.   Personally, the medium is the least important aspect of the three things I mentioned for reasons already given.  

Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 04:57

I am going to guess that the posters here whom are die hard digital believers simply have not heard a proper analog set up.
Not necessarily.

It's understandable, because not a lot of people have proper set ups these days.  If I could give an analogy, I would suggest that digital music is similar to digital photography.  It looks fine from a distance as the eye can't really see the pixel properties.  Same thing in music really.  But if you start to zoom in... you start to see tiny squares of shaded colors.  Upon closer examination it starts to look like a chess board.  It certainly does not get more interesting.
I know that sounds all very logical and reasonable, but it's specious. We do not have zoom-eyes or zoom-ears, the only reason you can see pixels on a digital photograph is because you can use tools like Photoshop on a PC to examine them in fine detail, just as you can use tools like Protools to examine the quantised steps on a sampled sound.

Also, analogue photographs also cannot be zoomed indefinitely - both the negative film and the photographic paper have "grain", this is the equivalent of digital resolution in the photosensitive emulsion used in the process. If you want to continue the photography/music analogy, this is the equivalent of surface noise on a vinyl platter or tape-hiss on a magnetic tape (which is caused by the size of the magnetic particles)

A good analog system really puts the music under the microscope.  Not just the production but the performance, the ambiance and feel of the room or the subtle nature of the processing gear.
I do not believe it can any more or any less than a good digital system can. The only digitial part of a digital system is the ADC in the CD player - from that point forward the two systems can be identical, so from an electronics point of view you are comparing an ADC with a magnetic cartridge.

If you look at the physics of it.... a 16 bit rendering of an analog source input simply cannot compare to the original data that is being input into the computer or sampler.

I cannot argue with that from a "physics" perspective, but from the same perspective I can also say that the vinyl rendering of an analogue source input simply cannot compare to the original acoustic pressure wave that was converted into an electrical signal by an electro-mechanical microphone.

The "problem" with analogue systems is there are too many conversion steps that can and do affect the sound:
Live sound = mechanical information
Microphone = electromechanical conversion mechanical -> electrical
Mixing & Production = electrical information
Mastering = electromechanical conversion electrical -> mechanical
Pressing = mechanical transfer mechanical -> mechanical
Turntable/Cartridge = electromechanical conversion mechanical -> electrical
Amplification = electrical information
Loudspeaker = electromechanical conversion electrical -> mechanical
None of those conversions (in red) are perfect (or transparent) and a consumer can only affect the last two -you can buy a better cartridge and you can invest in some quality loudspeakers - and from an analogue argument the only difference is the cartridge because the amp and speakers are the same for both systems.

In a digital system the electrical information from the microphone is converted to digital,and there the information remains in the digital domain until the ADC in the CD player converts it back to electrical and while it is in the digital domain it is completely immune from any external influences that can affect the sound - the sound you hear coming out of the CD player is identical to the sound the record producer heard in the studio - you cannot make that claim for analogue.

Edited by Dean - October 13 2012 at 06:11
What?
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 05:05
Thanks Dean, I had forgotten the British spelling of analog.  
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 05:15

Think of it this way....

One could text a digital photo of the Mona Lisa to a friend on an iphone.  Surely the image is recognizable.  You could say you have the Mona Lisa on your phone now.  I mean you have the image.  You can see the major stuff like the crooked smile, or the major shadows.  However, if you were to actually visit it in person, I do think you would have a different experience.  Even better if it was viewed without bullet proof glass in front of it.  There is texture in the paint strokes and texture to the canvas.  The analog experience offers a deeper experience if you are ready for it.  In music... you might need to get up to speed on a few things.  There is a difference between reading music and playing it.  There is a difference between hearing a snare drum and feeling the resonating qualities of a finely tuned birch or maple shell. 
this point has been made before in this thread:

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

But..... a perfect digital photograph copy of the Mona Lisa......is not the Mona Lisa.
Again, you've lost me - an imperfect "analogue" photographic copy of the Mona Lisa... is not the Mona Lisa either. Confused
An analogue photograph (or even a forged copy) is still an image of the Mona Lisa but it's not the same as being there seeing Leonardo's mastery at first hand - I've never seen the real Mona Lisa, but I have seen Constable's Haywain - and yes, no copy can ever capture the real thing, be that digital photograph, an analogue photograph and certainly not a picture in a coffee-table art-book - the real thing is breath-taking, no copy ever can be. Listening to analogue recordings is not the same as "being there" - it's a specious argument because it feels right that information that is kept in the analogue domain is fidelity and honest, but the original analogue domain was mechanical - moving air pressure waves - not electrical signals - anlogue (electrical) signals are as artificial as any digital signal - they are (by definition of their name) analogous.

Edited by Dean - October 13 2012 at 05:16
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 05:50

Sure.. I agree.. more than most will spend.. but there are also lots of guys driving around in classic street rods that they have invested 20K into and are living almost on the poverty line.  I have friends doing that. 

My dad was an electrical engineer who graduated top of the class at UCLA.  He worked on tube gear and saw the change to solid state.  I asked him, why did everything go solid state?  He replied, "well, it was just a lot more cost effective and for most people, more reliable".  Ok I said.. but it was not better was it?  He replied... "Oh, of course not.. it was not better"  He said it as if my comment was an absurdity.  He knew. 
55 yo Electronics Engineer here, (graduated 5th in class from a piss-pot Polytechnic in the arse-end of nowhere) I learnt my trade in valves (tubes), I have built valve and solid-state amplifiers from scratch; in my professional career I currently design test solutions for DACs and ADCs for all applications from seismic recording (ultra low frequency) through "audiophile" to aerospace applications and as a hobbiest I stilldabble in the analgue world. I'm not presenting that information as an argument from authority here, just levelling the playing field.

I have waxed lyrical on this subject before, valve amplifiers are not perfect - the whole ethos of audiophilia grew-up because they were not perfect - audiophilists pre-date solid-state amplifiers, they were striving for perfection in an imperfect medium - valve amplifieres and their very necessary output transformers add distortion (in the voltage/current and the time/frequency domains) to the source signal - that is a fundamental limitation of the physics of their construction - that's not subjective or professional bias, it is a bankable fact. The "warm" sound of a valve amp is real - it is harmonic distortion and it is not subjective.

Back in the 70s audiophilists picked up on the similar fact that poorly designed solid-state amplifiers were also not perfect, and because the distortion they could impose was even-harmonic rather than the odd-harmonics of valves, they were not warm-sounding, but well designed solid-state amlifiers (and those have been the norm since the late 60s) do not have that cold-sounding even-harmionic distortion, but because there is still an audible difference between solid-state and valve audiophilists tend to blame the solid-state rather than their treasured valves. Solid-state is "better", it's just that "we" prefer the warm distortions of valves more.

The tube amps can sound great.. even phenomenal.. but if you just pick one up that works but has not been properly restored or serviced.. it can sound dreadful.  So again.. it depends.  Everything needs to be working at the proper voltages inside.  All the capacitors and resistors... the selenium rectifier.. the tubes themselves... the power supplies.
Selenium rectifiers are dreadful period - they degrade over time and are not good at all because as they degrade they affect the life of the valves in the amp. They are also toxic when they fail. They were a solid-state compromise to the horrendous valve rectifiers because back then silicon could not handle the HT voltages of valve circuits. Replacing them with modern high-voltage silicon diodes will not affect the sound of any amplifier.

Prior to my vintage tube amp.. I was into NAD stuff.  Everyone seems to think pretty highly of that.  When I switched to the tube amp.. I almost fell over in my chair when I first heard it.  It was like.. good lord.. really?  I had that NAD on ebay within hours, and sold it for more than I paid for my tube amp.  I felt guilty doing that actually.   I could NEVER go back to a solid state amp knowing what I know now.
I've run my NAD amp continuously for 30 years (it only gets switched off when I move house), it is faultless and as good as it was when I first bought it - I cannot conceive a situation where I would ever sell it. My valve amps are equally as "irreplaceable" and I would not part with them either, but I would not run them 24/7. I have no preference - sometimes I like the warmth of a valve amp and I do get a nostalgia-kick out of them, and sometimes I like the clarity and transparency of the NAD.

Edited by Dean - October 13 2012 at 06:00
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 08:12
I know some people get tetchy and defensive when I use "Specs" and "science" in these discussions because as I have said time after time, listening is all subjective and down to personal preferences and not about specifications and science. But when people use specifications and science in their arguments against digital media I do need to explain that in specifications and scientific terms in order to address those arguments, such as:

I know that sounds all very logical and reasonable, but it's specious. We do not have zoom-eyes or zoom-ears, the only reason you can see pixels on a digital photograph is because you can use tools like Photoshop on a PC to examine them in fine detail, just as you can use tools like Protools to examine the quantised steps on a sampled sound.

Also, analogue photographs also cannot be zoomed indefinitely - both the negative film and the photographic paper have "grain", this is the equivalent of digital resolution in the photosensitive emulsion used in the process. If you want to continue the photography/music analogy, this is the equivalent of surface noise on a vinyl platter or tape-hiss on a magnetic tape (which is caused by the size of the magnetic particles)
The point of this is important. You cannot keep zooming in on an analogue signal recovered from a vinyl source and get more and more detail from the signal - the analogue signal is not fractilian in nature, it has a fundamental limitation, and that is the noise-floor, which is the equivalent to digital resolution. Dynamic range is simply the distance between the loudest signal you can record onto a medium and the noise-floor.
Absolute theoretical limit of the noise floor of a digital system is defined by a simple equation:

&amp;amp;#10;\mathrm{DR_{dB}} = \mathrm{SNR_{dB}} = 20 \log_{10}(2^n) \approx 6.02 \cdot n&amp;amp;#10;

where n is the number of bits being digitised - for a 16-bit sample that equates to -96dB
The best SNR that can be recovered from vinyl also has a fundamental limitation (based upon the physics of the medium) at best this is in the region of -60dB (and gets progressively worse as the vinyl ages). The noise floor is an absolute limit - signals below that cannot be recovered and they cannot be heard above the sound of the noise.

You can argue that you cannot hear the noise in your system, and that is correct, -60db of noise approaches the threshold of human hearing when listening to a 0dB sound (all decibel measures are relative to a fixed source, they are not an absolute measure of anything - the values of -60dB and -96dB are relative to the maximum amplitude you can record onto a medium. People make a great deal out of dynamic range, but they invariably get it wrong - dynamic range is not measured relative to the quietest sound you can hear, but to the loudest you can record - this means we can compare analogue and digital because the loudest of each is engineered to be the same "voltage") - but that also means that if you cannot hear the noise at -60dB then you cannot hear any signals at that level either.

Putting that -60dB figure back into the digital SNR equation to produce an equivalent resolution for the analogue signal gets you ~10-bits.
ie: log(10^(60/20))/log(2) = 9.97-bits, hence vinyl  10bit sampling.
So essentially the noise-floor of a vinyl recording is no better than a digital recording of 10-bits resolution. This puts 16-bits (and 20 and 24) into perspective. Yes you can use ProTools (or Audacity) to zoom-in and see the individual quantisation bits, but you cannot zoom an analogue signal recovered from a vinyl recording to that same degree of "magnification" - all you see is noise.

Edited by Dean - October 13 2012 at 08:15
What?
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 13 2012 at 09:42
You know I gotta say this has been a very educational forum and I'm learning quite a BIT....no pun intended.
Anyway, I would love people(s) opinion in this forum about my personal set up for what I think is a fantastic listening experience.

First off. I bought a pair of SENNHEISER HD 800 headphones and as you probably already know they are considered to be the most dynamic sounding headphones on the planet right now. Also the power plant of these headphones is quite large, so these particular Cans have a really high IMPEDANCE LEVEL OF 300 OHMS. With that being said you need sufficient power to run these suckers properly, which brings me to my next point

Second-- THE AMP. I use my 250 Watt JVC stereo and I plug in my headphones with a Grado Extension cable directly I to the stereo unit. I leave the stereo on 10min to warm up the amp because the sound quality gets a bit brighter when I do so. My point here is that just using a stereo amp provides more than enough current flow to run the HD's.

Third. I bypass the single by using the AUXILLARY connection in the stereo using an Analogue single to connect to my I pod or portable cd player. For the I pod, I use a high quality Y CABLE to connect my digital music to my stereo and be Able to listen to it through the masterful headphones. So at this point I am listening to my digital music at 300kps through an analogue connection to the stereo and I feel that this sounds absolutely incredible and I am maximizing the true power that the headphones offer. I do the same thing with the cd player.

Lastly, my point is that you can utilize both digital and analogue sound singles in your listening experience. I feel I am getting a really good personal listening experience with regards to how I've set up my headphones with the proper equipment. So far I have to say that Cd quality sounds slightly better than MP3. My best listening experience is when I get a hold of CDs that are recorded in the 24BIT 96KHTZ PCM format. The headphones really respond well to these types of recordings.   In Conclusion I would love to hear anyone's feedback. Any questions, suggestions and constructive criticism is greatly needed because I know there is always a way to improve your set up. Thank you for helping me and this is all for the greater good of prog! Please don't be shy cause I know I have kind of a unique set up and I think what anyone is this forum has to say will be most helpful. Thank you my prog brothers.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 38>