Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tangerine Dream: Untangling the Tangram

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 37>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jacob Schoolcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 17:29
I discovered Tangerine Dream in the early 70s. Their music was fascinating to me and I followed their career for decades. I additionally became interested in the solo albums of ex members and current.

I was obsessed with their music and I bought all of Edgar Froese, Christopher Franke, and Peter Baumann solo albums. I collected everything by Steve Jolliffe and I missed his performance at a balloon race somewhere in New England. Missing that was a huge disappointment.

Eventually I became fanatical over the Tangerine Dream family tree and as a result collected everything I could find by Klaus Schulze and several others . It was fun
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 17:50
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

I discovered Tangerine Dream in the early 70s. Their music was fascinating to me and I followed their career for decades. I additionally became interested in the solo albums of ex members and current.

I was obsessed with their music and I bought all of Edgar Froese, Christopher Franke, and Peter Baumann solo albums. I collected everything by Steve Jolliffe and I missed his performance at a balloon race somewhere in New England. Missing that was a huge disappointment.

Eventually I became fanatical over the Tangerine Dream family tree and as a result collected everything I could find by Klaus Schulze and several others . It was fun

My introduction to the dynamic trio was the Stratosfear album in 1976, so it was a good place to start. I'll be venturing into unexplored territory here soon, as Le Parc was the last vinyl album I bought by Tangerine Dream. I used to have three of their later albums on CD (Underwater Sunlight; Optical Race & Lily on the Beach) but I gave them away to a charity shop in a momentary lapse of reason, so it'll be good to hear them all again. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 18 2022 at 05:15
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 18:30
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Nice posting, I like Exit a lot as well and you remind me that it deserves more spins.

Clap It's a sonic schematic on how to build atmospheres, updated for the decade.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2022 at 18:39
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

4 stars 1982: White Eagle - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HJudKHrNg6M

Tangerine Dream are flying high again with White Eagle - their 17th album overall and a real return to form, including one long track occupying Side 1 of the album and three shorter pieces of music on Side 2 with the title track being a real highlight of the album for me. The album's upbeat, it's catchy, and very 1980's, just like the "Hammer-time" music you might have heard played on Miami Vice for instance.
Enjoy the concert. Thumbs Up 

1. Mojave Plan (20:06)
2. Midnight in Tula (3:52)
3. Convention of the 24 (9:24)
4. White Eagle (4:30)

"Mojave Plan" is a grandiose achievement, its three sections serving the events of a dark, unrealized motion picture. The live versions recorded in Australia are even more intense!

Side B is quality TD, but not unexpectedly (and they're not supposed to), they don't altogether match the drive of "Mojave Plan." I prefer "White Eagle" as the theme from Der Madchen auf der Treppe

"Convention of the 24" is a very nice bliss-out, but "Midnight in Tula" sounds like it's trying to be more of a "rock track" (like "Choronzon"), but its arrangement feels awkward.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 01:27
5 stars 1982: Logos Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY2Rlw3bRoM

Logos Live is Tangerine Dream's 18th album overall and their 4th Live album. Recorded at the Dominion Theatre in London, Logos Live showcases Tangerine Dream at their melodic best with the final track "Dominion" being a real highlight of the album for me. In the dominion of electronic music in the eighties, Tangerine Dream ruled the airwaves. Clap

Track Listing:-

1. Logos, Part One (25:41)
2. Logos, Part Two (19:28)
3. Dominion (5:45)
Gentle and Giant View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Gentle and Giant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 06:50
I'm a little surprised the White Eagle isn't doing better in your top TD albums Paul. It's my second favourite album after Force Majeure. I think you're the only other person to have it in their top 7.
Oh, for the wings of any bird, other than a battery hen
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 07:14
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

I'm a little surprised the White Eagle isn't doing better in your top TD albums Paul. It's my second favourite album after Force Majeure. I think you're the only other person to have it in their top 7.
I have a feeling my Top 7 may look very different by the time I've listened to all of Tangerine Dream's 100+ albums, but White Eagle is still flying high in my Top 7 at the moment. 

By the way, I've been watching the Hawklord's Robert Calvert Memorial Concert earlier on today and I only just realised that's Mr. Calvert in your profile photo. Embarrassed
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 07:49
 3 stars 1983: Wavelength (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=63IV_ihl7OQ

Wavelength is Tangerine Dream's 19th album overall and their third movie score.  Tangerine Dream have recorded at least 60 soundtracks over the years, although no one knows the true number as there are just too many to count. Wink

By the way, it looks like Wikipedia may have lost count already, as they claim Wavelength is Tangerine Dream's 20th album overall. Confused

Wavelength (1983) is a barely-remembered sci-fi movie starring Robert Carradine (brother of Kung Fu star David Carradine). TV Guide gave the movie two stars out of five and I've given the soundtrack three stars, so I'm guessing the soundtrack is better than the film, if we're both on the same Wavelength. Tongue 

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - September 06 2022 at 15:16
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 09:59
4 stars 1983: Hyperborea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKRpSLMRY8Q

Hyberborea is Tangerine Dream's 20th album overall and their 13th studio album. In Greek mythology, Hyperborea was an idyllic and magical land where the sun shione for 24 hours a day. A bit like the North Pole then, only a lot warmer and without the aurora hyperborealis. I'm not sure if Hyperborea is an idyllic and magical album, but it's still pretty good as Tangerine Dream albums go. Hyperborea is significant for being Tangerine Dream's last studio album on the Virgin label, marking the end of an era for the band, and I'm happy to say, they departed the Virgin label on more amicable terms than Mike Oldfield later did.  Tongue

1. No Man's Land (9:03)
2. Hyperborea (8:31)
3. Cinnamon Road (3:54)
4. Sphinx Lightning (19:56)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 19 2022 at 05:57
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 10:04

5 stars 1982: Logos Live - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nY2Rlw3bRoM

Logos Live is Tangerine Dream's 18th album overall and their 4th Live album. Recorded at the Dominion Theatre in London, Logos Live showcases Tangerine Dream at their melodic best with the final track "Dominion" being a real highlight of the album for me. In the dominion of electronic music in the eighties, Tangerine Dream ruled the airwaves. Clap

1. Logos, Part One (25:41)
2. Logos, Part Two (19:28)
3. Dominion (5:45)

The Pilots of Purple Twilight box set actually includes the whole concert. The edit is very nicely done but it's quite nice to have both. I agree totally its a 5 star masterpiece but wait until you get to Poland which is even better!
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 10:07

4 stars 1983: Hyperborea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKRpSLMRY8Q

Hyberborea is Tangerine Dream's 20th album overall and their 13th studio album. In Greek mythology, Hyperborea was an idyllic and magical land where the sun shione for 24 hours a day. A bit like the North Pole then, only a lot warmer and without the aurora hyperborealis. I'm not sure if Hyperborea is an idyllic and magical album, but it's still pretty good as Tangerine Dream albums go. Smile

1. No Man's Land (9:03)
2. Hyperborea (8:31)
3. Cinnamon Road (3:54)
4. Sphinx Lightning (19:56)

Edgar Froese also recorded a lovely solo album called Pinnacles (based on the Australian Outback) at about the same time. I've always thought it was a nice companion album to Hyperborea , one about extreme cold , one about extreme heat!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 10:13
^ I used to have the Poland album on vinyl years ago, so I'm looking forward to hearing it again, and while we're on the subject of Poland, I've heard that the sat-nav on German automobiles always points towards Poland, at least according to Jeremy Clarkson. "Vorsprung Durch Technik", as Del Boy would say. Wink

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 11:44
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

Edgar Froese also recorded a lovely solo album called Pinnacles (based on the Australian Outback) at about the same time. I've always thought it was a nice companion album to Hyperborea , one about extreme cold , one about extreme heat!

A 5-Star album! I need to listen to it again soon!
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 11:46
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

The Pilots of Purple Twilight box set actually includes the whole concert. The edit is very nicely done but it's quite nice to have both. I agree totally its a 5 star masterpiece but wait until you get to Poland which is even better!

Beat me to it.

Poland is a masterwork! Logos is great, but Poland leaves it in the dust...
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2022 at 17:36
Originally posted by Gentle and Giant Gentle and Giant wrote:

I agree with you. I haven't submitted my picks in the top album thread because after these two albums and "The Keep" soundtrack I have some difficulty deciding which other albums I would choose to include in my list of the top 7. 
I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2022 at 00:04
4 stars 1984: Risky Business (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t19pVyWzEZo

Risky Business is Tangerine Dream's 21st album overall and their 4th movie score. The link to the full soundtrack album above is NOT the official soundtrack from the Tom Cruise movie but features the music of Tangerine Dream exclusively. The officially-released soundtrack featured various artists such as:- Bob Seger; Muddy Waters; Jeff Beck; Prince; Journey & Phil Collins. Risky Business was the breakthrough movie that made Tom Cruise a star, but for Tangerine Dream fans, the film is best-remembered now for its superb soundtrack. I wasn't even aware until today that there were any other artists featured on the original soundtrack. Tongue

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 19 2022 at 00:07
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 19 2022 at 06:21
3 stars  1984: Firestarter (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQAf57MGPm4

Firestarter is Tangerine Dream's 22nd album overall and their 5th soundtrack. The movie is a sci-fi horror hokum starring Drew Barrymore as a young girl who is able to start fires just through the power of thought alone (known as "pyrokinesis").  Yikes!! Better make a Move and get the Fire Brigade then. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 19 2022 at 09:02
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2022 at 01:07
3 stars 1984: Flashpoint (soundtrack) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bPUS3AMEMQ

We're edging ever-closer to Poland in our tour across German electronica and we've now reached Tangerine Dream's 23rd album overall and their 6th soundtrack. Flashpoint is a neo-western crime drama starring Kris Kristofferson, Treat Williams & Rip Torn and if you want to see that movie too, the YouTube link is right below. Smile

Flashpoint - The Movie (1984) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guXGZ1bcbsc

The video features Kim Il Sung Square in Pyong Yang, North Korea, which could become a potential Flashpoint. Shocked

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 20 2022 at 01:08
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 20 2022 at 04:27
Originally posted by Jacob Schoolcraft Jacob Schoolcraft wrote:

And not forgetting Johannes Schmoelling: his ten solo albums are coming up here soon. Thumbs Up
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2022 at 02:02
5 stars 1984: Poland: The Warsaw Concert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsApXLYXdb4&t=6s

The Germans are back on Polish territory again where they receive a very warm welcome this time around in this splendid concert from Warsaw: the rebuilt Polish capital. This concert marks Tangerine Dream's 24th album overall and their 5th Live album. Poland is also the third double album (after Zeit & Encore) with four long pieces of music occupying the four sides of the album. As with all of Tangerine Dream's Live albums so far, Poland consists of all original music written and recorded specially for the concert. The Poland album is a real treat for Tangerine Dream fans to savour, and as an added bonus, there's some actual footage from the concert in the video below - complete with ballet dancers! Smile

1. Poland (22:36)
2. Tangent (19:55)
3. Barbakane (18:04)
4. Horizon (21:10)

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - August 21 2022 at 02:07
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 37>