Poll Question: Take your pick..
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [51.04%]
47 [48.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Anders Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 13:15
I'd pick Dark Side at any time. I find it one of the most accomplised and intriguing rock albums ever made, both in terms of songwriting, concept, sonic texture and general musical and artistic wholeness.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 14:21
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Not really. He doesn't like the Beatles and he doesn't like Floyd, so what can he do but agree.

If anybody feels insulted, I apologise? Sp?...and perhaps I don't particularly like the beatles...but you have misunderstood my position as Floyd is concerned...I love some floyd, Echoes, SOYCD and Animals is possibly in my top 100 symphonic prog releases...sure, they are a long way behind Genesis, Yes, Camel, IQ, FK's, ELP and a few others..😁 but hey , surely even Floyd fanboys must place DSOTM below the two releases that follow it? Or am I mistaken? Again PEACE with my prog brothers...

Floyd is my #1 band, and indeed I place Wish you were Here and Animals over Dark Side... I even like The Division Bell over Dark Side. But I won't really argue if, specially within non prog rock lists or polls, Dark Side comes first. It is indeed an special achievement as an album, and as a concept album, and about attention to detail.
Sacro_Porgo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 20:13
I am a decent Floyd fan (Meddle and onwards, not super familiar with the early stuff) and I doubt DSOTM ever drops below number 2 for me. Wish You Were Here is the one I've always struggled to connect with. At times its great, and at others its just kind of boring.
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 23:19

If anybody feels insulted, I apologise? Sp?...and perhaps I don't particularly like the beatles...but you have misunderstood my position as Floyd is concerned...I love some floyd, Echoes, SOYCD and Animals is possibly in my top 100 symphonic prog releases...sure, they are a long way behind Genesis, Yes, Camel, IQ, FK's, ELP and a few others..😁 but hey , surely even Floyd fanboys must place DSOTM below the two releases that follow it? Or am I mistaken? Again PEACE with my prog brothers...

I cannot speak for Floyd fanboys in general because at least outside this board, I know this opinion which I am about to state is not necessarily very popular among Floydians.  But I personally never saw the fuss about WYWH.  I mean it's a very, very good album, beautiful melodies and all but I never saw it as the undeniable masterpiece it is often made out to be.  And I really don't like Floyd moving out of pyschedelic noise and trying to write structured blues 'jams' (I put jams in single quotes exactly because it's way too structured to evoke the feeling of a jam).  And then the second part seems to be trying to evoke jazz rock/fusion and it's even more boring for me.  If I wanted a blues jam, I would listen to Allman Brothers.  I would listen to the wonderful Gary Moore-BB King jam on Thrill Is Gone that's up on YouTube and which every lover of guitar should listen to at least once.  If I wanted JR/F, I would listen to Mahavishnu or RTF, even Di Meola solo.  Floyd comes across as too tame when they attempt this.  Actually, much more so than DSOTM, it is WYWH which comes across as gateway prog for me.  Like In Absentia era PT, it is very comforting and melodic, and also very safe.  And the longish lengths make it feel like it's prog but it's only about as prog as Child In Time or Stairway To Heaven.  So overall, no, I prefer the succinctness and punch of Dark Side anyday.  Lyrically too, there is a lot of waxing over Syd on WYWH which is nice but also lacks the broad sweep of Dark Side as well as the latter's more bitter outlook.  Notice how many songs on Dark Side concern death or a path that leads to death.  Lyrically, Dark Side is way more hard hitting, at least for me.  

Hard hitting lyrics is the chief attraction of Animals.  And the concept overall is very coherent too which does make it a much harder choice between Animals and Dark Side for me.  But musically, I find Pigs VERY rambling and Sheep too a little rambling with Dogs being the only one that works in totality for me.  So again, the brevity of DSOTM works for me.  Basically, I don't think Floyd should have attempted epics or mini epics after Echoes.  That was their best and they were never going to top that.  I am sympathetic to Animals because Floyd came out swinging with all these long tracks in the peak of punk and because the lyrics were too hard hitting to be dismissed as airy-fairy out of touch prog, critics were put in a fix.  But as an overall listening experience, no, I still don't think it gets up to DSOTM.  

The Wall comes closest until it falters a little towards the end.  The problem with Wall is every song is wedded tightly to the narrative to the point that the ones towards the end like Trial do not work outside the context of the concept. Whereas on Dark Side, the concept is broader rather than being about a specific person's story and the songs standalone have a lot to say. 

iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 08 2020 at 23:48
I'll never forget the first time I listened to WYWH with a couple of friends. Absolutely freaked me out. The lyrics about Syd make it more emotionally connecting for me than DSOTM. Animals has only one outstanding song to me in Dogs whereas The Wall rambles on a bit too long on the fourth side but has Comfortably Numb which is their best ever song.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 11:04

Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Not really. He doesn't like the Beatles and he doesn't like Floyd, so what can he do but agree.

No sweat Barney. It's not like you refer to Tull as "Jethro Dull "  like micky does. LOL And even if he does, I still love him. It's only music.

Edited by SteveG - April 09 2020 at 11:05
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2020 at 12:49
I am a Floyd fanboy and no-one just canīt say me what I prefer from them. To me WYWH is the second weakest Floyd album in their 1967-79 albums (only Obscured is weaker). And although Animals is really high in my rating and I listen it more these days than Dark Side, it doesnīt go over. After Atom Heart albums Dark Side is the greatest.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 00:40
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

richardh: But Floyd had a history of shorter and more accessible songs already. They had done Obscured by Clouds not long before, and much of the first side of Meddle is also of this kind. And then Pink Floyd had not evolved very "naturally" before. The second album of Ummagamma was weird, AHM was very special, Obscured by Clouds was then totally different; they liked change in these days. I read that Waters had wanted to do a concept album earlier, for Dark Side the others finally could agree. There were always different facets to what they wanted to do, but then they wanted their albums to have some consistency in themselves, so they changed quite a bit from album to album. So I can get and respect why you think it's overrated, but I don't think, and I don't see any indication that it is a "deception", anything else than the music they really liked and wanted to do at the time.

I suppose what I am really saying is that it was just as pretentious as everything else that was called 'prog' but somehow managed to gain a lot of credit for being down to earth. It still feels altogether too contrived and convenient. It was also backed by a massive marketing campaign in the USA where they were keen to break into. It succeeded in spades of course. I don't want to come off as a 'hater' though because I have massive respect for Waters, Gilmour and Co. Wish You Were Here on the other hand was the prog album of the mid seventies and I like to believe that was the album they really wanted to do but perhaps felt there were other pressures that lead them down the DSOTM route first. Again just theorising and not trying to say this is the truth. Its just my view for what's it worth ( diddly squat I expect)

Edited by richardh - April 10 2020 at 00:43
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 00:41
Aye...the older floyd releases I have in my collection, but as yet unplayed...another gap in my prog listening experience. I have only just got round to hearing Yes and Time and a word...even though I have both vinyl and CD versions....I have said before I have hundreds of unheard cds and at least a 1000 single spun cds....I suffer from wantimg to spin what I love when preparing a playlist...😎

Edited by M27Barney - April 10 2020 at 00:42
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 02:11
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

richardh: But Floyd had a history of shorter and more accessible songs already. They had done Obscured by Clouds not long before, and much of the first side of Meddle is also of this kind. And then Pink Floyd had not evolved very "naturally" before. The second album of Ummagamma was weird, AHM was very special, Obscured by Clouds was then totally different; they liked change in these days. I read that Waters had wanted to do a concept album earlier, for Dark Side the others finally could agree. There were always different facets to what they wanted to do, but then they wanted their albums to have some consistency in themselves, so they changed quite a bit from album to album. So I can get and respect why you think it's overrated, but I don't think, and I don't see any indication that it is a "deception", anything else than the music they really liked and wanted to do at the time.

I suppose what I am really saying is that it was just as pretentious as everything else that was called 'prog' but somehow managed to gain a lot of credit for being down to earth. It still feels altogether too contrived and convenient. It was also backed by a massive marketing campaign in the USA where they were keen to break into. It succeeded in spades of course. I don't want to come off as a 'hater' though because I have massive respect for Waters, Gilmour and Co. Wish You Were Here on the other hand was the prog album of the mid seventies and I like to believe that was the album they really wanted to do but perhaps felt there were other pressures that lead them down the DSOTM route first. Again just theorising and not trying to say this is the truth. Its just my view for what's it worth ( diddly squat I expect)

I kind of doubt they put together DSOTM wanting to make WYWH all along. 
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 02:22
I've always felt WYWH is actually a touch more commercial than DSOTM. Sure it's very spacey and atmospheric, but it also has the title track, which is 70s radio incarnate, and Have A Cigar, which is the kind of great blues jam half a dozen rock bands could've made a hit out of. DSOTM isn't uncommercial, but I think it's telling that it has On The Run and The Great Gig In The Sky on it, as well as the fact that although Money became a massive hit, it is the only song by any band in 7/4 ever to reach that level of chart success. No matter how catchy that bass line is, it must have seemed unlikely that it would really hit big until it happened. WYWH just seems more cleaned up to me, even its experiments still keeping one ear to the charts. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 02:34

Wish You Were Here on the other hand was the prog album of the mid seventies and I like to believe that was the album they really wanted to do but perhaps felt there were other pressures that lead them down the DSOTM route first. Again just theorising and not trying to say this is the truth. Its just my view for what's it worth ( diddly squat I expect)

Nah, WYWH was the one they made when they were burnt out after the success of DSOTM.  And it shows. Also the beginning of the Waters-isation of Floyd.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 02:35

Let the site decide...

what??

let a bunch of Censoredignorant, opiniated and Pigskewed twisted minds get it all wrong??

No bloody way!! AngryEvil Smile

especially when everyone knows that CaravanseraiStar is the best one out thereClap
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 02:37
Originally posted by Sacro_Porgo Sacro_Porgo wrote:

I've always felt WYWH is actually a touch more commercial than DSOTM. Sure it's very spacey and atmospheric, but it also has the title track, which is 70s radio incarnate, and Have A Cigar, which is the kind of great blues jam half a dozen rock bands could've made a hit out of. DSOTM isn't uncommercial, but I think it's telling that it has On The Run and The Great Gig In The Sky on it, as well as the fact that although Money became a massive hit, it is the only song by any band in 7/4 ever to reach that level of chart success. No matter how catchy that bass line is, it must have seemed unlikely that it would really hit big until it happened. WYWH just seems more cleaned up to me, even its experiments still keeping one ear to the charts. 

Exactly my thoughts. Their most by the numbers album of the ones from Meddle to Wall.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 03:05
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

I cannot speak for Floyd fanboys in general because at least outside this board, I know this opinion which I am about to state is not necessarily very popular among Floydians.  But I personally never saw the fuss about WYWH.  I mean it's a very, very good album, beautiful melodies and all but I never saw it as the undeniable masterpiece it is often made out to be.  And I really don't like Floyd moving out of pyschedelic noise and trying to write structured blues 'jams' (I put jams in single quotes exactly because it's way too structured to evoke the feeling of a jam).  And then the second part seems to be trying to evoke jazz rock/fusion and it's even more boring for me.  If I wanted a blues jam, I would listen to Allman Brothers.  I would listen to the wonderful Gary Moore-BB King jam on Thrill Is Gone that's up on YouTube and which every lover of guitar should listen to at least once.  If I wanted JR/F, I would listen to Mahavishnu or RTF, even Di Meola solo.  Floyd comes across as too tame when they attempt this.  Actually, much more so than DSOTM, it is WYWH which comes across as gateway prog for me.  Like In Absentia era PT, it is very comforting and melodic, and also very safe.  And the longish lengths make it feel like it's prog but it's only about as prog as Child In Time or Stairway To Heaven.  So overall, no, I prefer the succinctness and punch of Dark Side anyday.  Lyrically too, there is a lot of waxing over Syd on WYWH which is nice but also lacks the broad sweep of Dark Side as well as the latter's more bitter outlook.  Notice how many songs on Dark Side concern death or a path that leads to death.  Lyrically, Dark Side is way more hard hitting, at least for me.  

Hard hitting lyrics is the chief attraction of Animals.  And the concept overall is very coherent too which does make it a much harder choice between Animals and Dark Side for me.  But musically, I find Pigs VERY rambling and Sheep too a little rambling with Dogs being the only one that works in totality for me.  So again, the brevity of DSOTM works for me.  Basically, I don't think Floyd should have attempted epics or mini epics after Echoes.  That was their best and they were never going to top that.  I am sympathetic to Animals because Floyd came out swinging with all these long tracks in the peak of punk and because the lyrics were too hard hitting to be dismissed as airy-fairy out of touch prog, critics were put in a fix.  But as an overall listening experience, no, I still don't think it gets up to DSOTM.  

The Wall comes closest until it falters a little towards the end.  The problem with Wall is every song is wedded tightly to the narrative to the point that the ones towards the end like Trial do not work outside the context of the concept. Whereas on Dark Side, the concept is broader rather than being about a specific person's story and the songs standalone have a lot to say. 

Very well written and I agree with most of this, except that I can still connect better to the music on Animals, maybe because it was my first Floyd album and one of my first albums overall, and for me it had a big impact even if not on the world of music, but maybe also because analysis of music sometimes can't get into why a certain guitar part, a certain transition etc. work so well on an emotional level.

By the way, I couldn't get into Dark Side for a long time and until not so many years ago I would have ranked it lower than the three that came after it and most that came before. Not that I didn't like it but I couldn't see what's so great about it, or rather I saw a well working concept but not so much the greatness of the music behind it, a bit like Barney if you want... at some point it just clicked, and how it clicked!
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 03:07

Very well written and I agree with most of this, except that I can still connect better to the music on Animals, maybe because it was my first Floyd album and one of my first albums overall, and for me it had a big impact even if not on the world of music, but maybe also because analysis of music sometimes can't get into why a certain guitar part, a certain transition etc. work so well on an emotional level.

By the way, I couldn't get into Dark Side for a long time and until not so many years ago I would have ranked it lower than the three that came after it and most that came before. Not that I didn't like it but I couldn't see what's so great about it, or rather I saw a well working concept but not so much the greatness of the music behind it, a bit like Barney if you want... at some point it just clicked, and how it clicked!

Thanks.  And for me, Dark Side was my introduction to Floyd so that may be a part of why I am more attached to it vis a vis Animals.  
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2020 at 05:40
The start of Shine on, is sublime, atmospheric theatre and extended...Genesis should have done similar with Salmacis, where a great track could have been made epic along with an extended guitar solo at the end...and an obviously OTT start and the great VCS 3 work at the end, makes shine on far less likeable to non proggers....It has the essence of symphonic prog genius...but replace the sax with guitar or synth and it would gain more for me anyway...I know i'm a particular kind of prog snob...but I know what I like...

Edited by M27Barney - April 10 2020 at 05:41
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richardh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 02:36
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Wish You Were Here on the other hand was the prog album of the mid seventies and I like to believe that was the album they really wanted to do but perhaps felt there were other pressures that lead them down the DSOTM route first. Again just theorising and not trying to say this is the truth. Its just my view for what's it worth ( diddly squat I expect)

Nah, WYWH was the one they made when they were burnt out after the success of DSOTM.  And it shows. Also the beginning of the Waters-isation of Floyd.

well obviously I totally disagree with that LOL . Rick Wright's synths are tremendous on that album (very bored by what he does on DSOTM tbh) so I think Waters was still 'allowing' others to come and influence the music. It was after this that it became Water's band although I still love Animals and The Wall is alos very important to me and has way more 'heart' than DSOTM (IMHO).
Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Olape Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 12:11
Originally posted by The Anders The Anders wrote:

I'd pick Dark Side at any time. I find it one of the most accomplised and intriguing rock albums ever made, both in terms of songwriting, concept, sonic texture and general musical and artistic wholeness.

I totally agree with this opinion.
zeuhl1 View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
RPI Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote zeuhl1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 14:19
Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I keep my vynils in alphabetical order by artist. Pink tops Genesis. (Apart of that I'm everything but a Genesis fan)

I used to work in a record store in the early 90's
customer: "hey you guys don't have any Floyd?"
me: "yes, did you look under P"
customer: "I'm an idiot"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>