Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat decade did you first get into prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>
Poll Question: In what decade did you first get into prog?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
65 [34.21%]
34 [17.89%]
13 [6.84%]
46 [24.21%]
8 [4.21%]
24 [12.63%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 20:34
Originally posted by silverpot silverpot wrote:

This poll makes me feel absolutely ancient. Only five dinosaurs voting the 60s. LOL

I added it reluctantly and retroactively(I think). I realize there were some "progressive" albums in that decade but the genre wasn't really official until the seventies. I think of the sixties as the proto progressive era(the albums that led up to the full blown prog scene).
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2014 at 22:58
I checked the '80s but I'm surprised there are so few votes for the '90s.
Prog_Traveller View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 00:56
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

I checked the '80s but I'm surprised there are so few votes for the '90s.

Me too. Most of those 9 votes were pretty early on. Since I rebooted this thread a few days ago nobody has voted for the 90's. I'm not sure why there are so few but my guess is that most people were getting back into prog in the 90's(ie rediscovering it and not so much discovering it). Other than maybe Dream Theater I can't think of any really major band that would have drawn someone into the genre for the first time in that decade. I know lots of prog fans discovered Anglagard, Echolyn, Spock's Beard, The Flower Kings, Glass Hammer etc for the first time in that decade but I think most of those fans were already prog fans(from the previous two decades).

For me personally, I first got into prog in the 80's. In the 90's I was back and forth as to being into prog. There wasn't a whole lot going on in that decade. But then towards the end of the 90's I found two books on prog. One was called "the music is all that matters" and the other was "the progressive rock files." The latter book had links for prog on the internet and that is how I discovered prog online. This was kind of late though probably around 98/99. I had revisited and ordered some prog cds right before that though in the spring of 98 so that is when I started to get back into prog after taking about a three or four year break from it(my college years).
Kazza3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 03:47
2000s, around 2008. After a childhood of jazz and nothing but jazz, I had already been moving into fusion, but then a friend introduced me to The Mars Volta, and then Muse- who, though not prog, the way they branched out a bit made me want to investigate music that did that kind of thing, I saw the label 'prog' applied to that approach, I found my way to PA, discovered Beardfish (SiT II being the top album of the year) and then discovered the seventies. And my Dad's Floyd collection.

To other younger listeners, what's your musical relationship like with your parents? Growing up, music around the house was jazz, and Dad's music was just 'Dad music' that he kept to himself (Floyd, Zep, Beatles, Stones, Bowie). He says he finds it a little strange that I listen so much to the music of the 70s ('aren't children are supposed to hate their parent's music!') but he likes it, and there have been multiple occasions when I've pulled out Yes or something and he'll go, "oh, I remember that band!", or I discover he had SeBTP in his record collection (mainly because he liked I Know What I Like) long after I got into Genesis, and one day it turned out we had both, without being aware of the other's actions, independently downloaded Fripp's Exposure. Same day, coincidence. I've even gotten him into Volta a bit.

Edited by Kazza3 - April 04 2014 at 03:55
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 03:52
Originally posted by Prog_Traveller Prog_Traveller wrote:

This poll makes me feel absolutely ancient. Only five dinosaurs voting the 60s. LOL

I added it reluctantly and retroactively(I think). I realize there were some "progressive" albums in that decade but the genre wasn't really official until the seventies. I think of the sixties as the proto progressive era(the albums that led up to the full blown prog scene).
I should have votededed 60s  Ouch

Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

the 60s, so consolation vote in the 70s box

Why not vote 60s?
Because I didn't see the options weren't in numerical order. Ouch

Thought so.LOL
Deliberately confusing old people isn't on. Angry

LOL
What?
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 09:22

Sounds about right....I bought ITCOTCK in the spring of 1970...didn't hear it when it first came out.
But I had already been buying the Doors, Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Tull, Traffic, etc since 1967.
At any rate I was one of those here who listed the 60's as when I first started listening to 'prog'.
Old yes.....but I hope I'm not a dinosaur.
LOL
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 12:08
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Sounds about right....I bought ITCOTCK in the spring of 1970...didn't hear it when it first came out.
But I had already been buying the Doors, Moody Blues, Procol Harum, Tull, Traffic, etc since 1967.
At any rate I was one of those here who listed the 60's as when I first started listening to 'prog'.
Old yes.....but I hope I'm not a dinosaur.
LOL

Be proud to be a dinosaur, they are one of the most successful species to ever roam our green Earth.
It also seems very tough for the young acts to push their way into the upper part of PA top 100. LOL
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 13:35
1970's
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 18:11

Why not vote 60s?

Thought so.LOL

LOL

I'm personally glad you didn't vote sixties. As far as I'm concerned it would be almost like voting for which decade did you first get into heavy metal and then having an option for sixties. Tongue I think people got into music and bands that became prog in the sixties but I think most of it was psychedelic or proto prog. That's just my opinion of course. I only added sixties to the poll because there seemed to be a demand for it(a small one but it was there nonetheless).

"Hey man, we're going to see some groovy bands before we protest the Vietnam War then we're going to hang out and smoke some pot in front of a lava lamp. Yeah we'll listen to some prog too. " I guarantee that conversation never happened. Tongue Not in the sixties anyway. LOL

Edited by Prog_Traveller - April 04 2014 at 18:12
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 18:21

Why not vote 60s?

Thought so.LOL

LOL

I'm personally glad you didn't vote sixties. As far as I'm concerned it would be almost like voting for which decade did you first get into heavy metal and then having an option for sixties. Tongue I think people got into music and bands that became prog in the sixties but I think most of it was psychedelic or proto prog. That's just my opinion of course. I only added sixties to the poll because there seemed to be a demand for it(a small one but it was there nonetheless).

"Hey man, we're going to see some groovy bands before we protest the Vietnam War then we're going to hang out and smoke some pot in front of a lava lamp. Yeah we'll listen to some prog too. " I guarantee that conversation never happened. Tongue Not in the sixties anyway. LOL
Not in America anyway. Tongue
What?
Gryphon View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 22:53
1969, when my brother (7 years older than me) came home one day with "in the court of the crimson king", played it really loud, and it blew our minds.
I was 12...

Edited by Gryphon - April 06 2014 at 10:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2014 at 23:34
[Not in America anyway. Tongue]

Not anywhere anyway.  That term wasn't used until the seventies which was kind of my point.
Mirror Image View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 00:01
The '80s for me as my parents used to have Rush dance nights and my dad would play Moving Pictures, Signals, or Grace Under Pressure on his record player. Ah, the smell of vinyl!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 02:09
^You can dance to Rush? Who knew. Tongue
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 03:35

Not anywhere anyway.  That term wasn't used until the seventies which was kind of my point.
Immaterial. Doesn't matter what it was called, it does not change the music. If we were listening to Crimson, Floyd, Moodies, Renaissance, Family, Tull, Soft Machine, Van der Graaf, The Nice, etc. in the late 60s then that is when we first got into Prog. 

However, as I have stressed repeatedly in many threads, the name did not appear out of nowhere and it was not instantly adopted as a term universally over night. There is documented evidence of the term being used in the UK in the late 60s yet in some parts of the world it wasn't used until the 80s and later. During my high school years (1968-73) in the home counties of the UK the term was in common usage and that's good enough for me.
What?
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 08:15

Immaterial. Doesn't matter what it was called, it does not change the music. If we were listening to Crimson, Floyd, Moodies, Renaissance, Family, Tull, Soft Machine, Van der Graaf, The Nice, etc. in the late 60s then that is when we first got into Prog. 

However, as I have stressed repeatedly in many threads, the name did not appear out of nowhere and it was not instantly adopted as a term universally over night. There is documented evidence of the term being used in the UK in the late 60s yet in some parts of the world it wasn't used until the 80s and later. During my high school years (1968-73) in the home counties of the UK the term was in common usage and that's good enough for me.

Amen.

I might add that the term Prog is still not in general use for this kind of music in Sweden today. That word makes people think of a different genre, very left oriented political rattling.
When I try to explain what I listen to I have to describe it as "British progressive, Pink Floyd and Genesis, you know". LOL

Edited by silverpot - April 05 2014 at 08:31
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 09:22
^ nothing to do with the fact that they're completely different words denoting different things? (progg v Prog)Ermm

The latter being the reason we're on this site and the former being a left wing anti-commercial arts/music/theatre/music movement in Sweden that ran parallel to Progressive Rock from the late 60's to the late 70's.
You would know considerably more about the differences than I so what's your point exactly? Are you just highlighting the perceptual confusion of the Swedes?

Edited by ExittheLemming - April 05 2014 at 09:47
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 13:08
^ Yes but even now most of those bands are not considered prog these days but instead proto prog. Just playing devil's advocate here. ;) I personally think in retrospect many of them are "real prog" whatever that means if you consider how all the song oriented stuff and neo prog that is considered prog these days. Not to knock neo prog or anything but much of it has very simple song structures and is in verse chorus. So yes Dean if it's important to you then you win this conversation. :D I was just saying people didn't think of it as prog or progressive rock at the time(probably)but you are right that it doesn't really matter and what matters is what they were listening to.

Anyway, I'm wondering if any of the 9 people who voted 90's on here are following this thread. I have a couple of questions for you. One, how did you discover prog in the 90's and what band or album got you into prog in the 90's? Also, did you get into prog in the 90's because of the internet.

Edited by Prog_Traveller - April 05 2014 at 14:59
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 14:59
Yay! I win. 

At last.

I can't think of a reason to continue posting on music subjects in this forum any more.

What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2014 at 15:01

Yay! I win. 

At last.

I can't think of a reason to continue posting on music subjects in this forum any more.

Yeah, well don't forget that I let you win. WinkLOL Anyway, it's all in good fun or at least should be. It's only prog and know all but we like it. Tongue
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 678910>