Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Kansas vs Styx

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>
Poll Question: Which band do you prefer? Styx or Kansas?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
46 [73.02%]
7 [11.11%]
1 [1.59%]
9 [14.29%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 00:08
when I was 13 years old I got into Boston and it was the start of my progressive journey there's elements of progression with Boston they aren't obvious but they are there. i've always believed it was Boston who first showed me that music didn't have to be a certain way ! We all started somewhere in our progressive journey somewhere, Boston is where mine started.  Tongue

Edited by Enchant X - February 14 2020 at 00:26
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 00:22
I like the early Boston songs but then like many 'new' things it got stale very quickly. That album that took 6 years to record was so massively over hyped it was beyond ridiculous. I still like the Asia debut album (the prog stuff is on the second side guys!) but again they went down hill quicker than Franz Klammer. Asia were a great live band. I saw them on the reunion tour in the 00's. The venue (Shepherds Bush Empire) was packed out and they performed full tilt. It was a few years after I saw Kansas there who were equally as good.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 05:56
Originally posted by CHanse97 CHanse97 wrote:

Because, frankly, if I were to sit and use the same nondescript and undefined metric y'all use to say Styx isn't prog, I could probably make the same case that Kansas, Supertramp, and Pink Floyd past Meddle aren't prog either.
Fine with me! "A soul intension that's learning to fly." LOL  But seriously, WYWH not prog? Come on.

Edited by SteveG - February 14 2020 at 05:57
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 08:49
Originally posted by Enchant X Enchant X wrote:

when I was 13 years old I got into Boston and it was the start of my progressive journey there's elements of progression with Boston they aren't obvious but they are there. i've always believed it was Boston who first showed me that music didn't have to be a certain way ! We all started somewhere in our progressive journey somewhere, Boston is where mine started.  Tongue

Exact same for me, the 4 bands that opened my eyes to music were Boston, Deep Purple, Styx, Kansas
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 09:59
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

Because, frankly, if I were to sit and use the same nondescript and undefined metric y'all use to say Styx isn't prog, I could probably make the same case that Kansas, Supertramp, and Pink Floyd past Meddle aren't prog either.
Fine with me! "A soul intension that's learning to fly." LOL  But seriously, WYWH not prog? Come on.

If Pink Floyd is prog, then Kansas is undoubtedly prog! LOL
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 10:04
Originally posted by verslibre verslibre wrote:

Yes I agree. Kansas is prog! Tongue
CHanse97 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 10:50

Yes I agree. Kansas is prog! Tongue

If Kansas is prog, Styx is prog. Might me pop-prog, but still prog.
CHanse97 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 10:50

I'd say that Floyd could be far more easily defined as prog before Kansas is.
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 12:36

I reckon you should give a listen to "Journey from Mariabronn," "Apercu," and "Death of Mother Nature Suite" from Kansas' s/t debut. 

Then, from the second album, Song for America, the legendary title track, plus "Lamplight Symphony" and the epic "Incomudro – Hymn to the Atman."

If that isn't evidence enough, your ears may deceive you. 

Also, a version of "Incomudro" was recorded by Kerry Livgren's pre-Kansas band, Proto-Kaw, and they sound even less commercial.

I like Floyd (not everything they've done, but I like them), but they're a glorified psych band, no? Let's be honest, Floyd's music isn't challenging. They have a lot of catchy hits. They're on par with Genesis and Yes in that regard.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 12:45

I reckon you should give a listen to "Journey from Mariabronn," "Apercu," and "Death of Mother Nature Suite" from Kansas' s/t debut. 

Then, from the second album, Song for America, the legendary title track, plus "Lamplight Symphony" and the epic "Incomudro – Hymn to the Atman."

Also, a version of "Incomudro" was recorded by Kerry Livgren's pre-Kansas band, Proto-Kaw, and they sound even less commercial.

I like Floyd (not everything they've done, but I like them), but they're a glorified psych band, no? Let's be honest, Floyd's music isn't challenging. They have a lot of catchy hits. They're on par with Genesis and Yes in that regard.
Like most people, you're probably hung up on DSotM, which, to me, is more psych than prog. But WYWH and Animals is more prog than psych. Listen again to both. If that's not evidence enough, your ears may deceive you.

Edited by SteveG - February 14 2020 at 12:50
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 12:53
Floyd and Kansas are both clearly prog and anyone who says otherwise has not listened properly to them.

Like come on, animals and song for America? Not prog? If those aren’t than I don’t know what is

Edited by dougmcauliffe - February 14 2020 at 12:54
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 13:14

Fine with me! "A soul intension that's learning to fly." LOL
 But seriously, WYWH not prog? Come on.

Like most people, you're probably hung up on DSotM, which, to me, is more psych than prog. But WYWH and Animals is more prog than psych. Listen again to both. If that's not evidence enough, your ears may deceive you.

For me, The Dark Side of the Moon is more art rock/ lite prog rock than psych/space, and Wish You Were Here and Animals I would describe as Art Rock/ Prog Rock and not as psychedelia. I will happily describe earlier albums such as Atom Heart Mother and Meddle as Art Rock Prog meets Psychedelic and Space Rock. Before that I might describe the music using psychedelic as my primary descriptor.

For me Pink FLoyd and Kansas made kinds of Prog and other sorts of music. The dichotomy of calling bands Prog or not Prog often doesn't work for me when bands have a diversity of style and approach. I say often you have to go the individual album level and often to the track level. But I could understand someone saying, say, they don;t think of "The Atom Heart Mother" suite or "Echoes", or "A Saucerful of Secrets" or "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" or "The Embryo" or whatever as Prog depending upon how they use the term. Sometimes people make such such claims without hearing enough of the discography, or understanding the diversity of ways to approach the question "What is progressive rock, and does it have set boundaries?"

if people were to ask me what kind of music Pink Floyd makes, well it would depend on the period. I tend to think of a lot of it as Art Rock primarily.

I'm not keen on Kansas, but of course that has no bearing on whether or not I consider it Prog. I am fine with calling various albums and individual tracks Prog by Kansas, but not all of it (I haven't heard all of it, but I've heard quite a bit, and owned Leftoverture). So is it a Prog band, I'd sooner call it a band that made Prog music and other music, partially because I don't think of bands themselves as Prog. I find that can lead to over-generalisations. I often like to leave pigeon-holing to the pigeons.

Edited by Logan - February 14 2020 at 13:20
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:03
I think some people who say they don't like Kansas(and or also say they aren't prog) have only heard the hits and are just going by what they have heard on the radio. Anyone who has heard their earlier albums knows they were about as prog as you could get. Saying Kansas weren't prog is like saying Yes or early Genesis weren't prog.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - February 14 2020 at 14:03
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:07
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I think some people who say they don't like Kansas(and or also say they aren't prog) have only heard the hits and are just going by what they have heard on the radio. Anyone who has heard their earlier albums knows they were about as prog as you could get. Saying Kansas weren't prog is like saying Yes or early Genesis weren't prog.
I agree. Most of the posters who've argued Kansas isn't prog refer to Leftoverture or Point of Know Return, by which time Kansas was well on its way toward a more commercial sound. Their first 3 albums are definitely prog. After that, well that's where the disagreement should really begin.

Edited by progmatic - February 14 2020 at 14:18
PROGMATIC
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:15
It's rather like those people who claim Magma is nothing but a rather funky disco soul band because they only heard "Call From the Dark (Ooh Ooh Baby)".

Edited by Logan - February 14 2020 at 14:17
Just a music fan passing through trying to fill some void. Various music I am into now: a youtube playlist
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:28
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

Fine with me! "A soul intension that's learning to fly." LOL
 But seriously, WYWH not prog? Come on.

For me, The Dark Side of the Moon is more art rock/ lite prog rock than psych/space, and Wish You Were Here and Animals I would describe as Art Rock/ Prog Rock and not as psychedelia. I will happily describe earlier albums such as Atom Heart Mother and Meddle as Art Rock Prog meets Psychedelic and Space Rock. Before that I might describe the music using psychedelic as my primary descriptor.

For me Pink FLoyd and Kansas made kinds of Prog and other sorts of music. The dichotomy of calling bands Prog or not Prog often doesn't work for me when bands have a diversity of style and approach. I say often you have to go the individual album level and often to the track level. But I could understand someone saying, say, they don;t think of "The Atom Heart Mother" suite or "Echoes", or "A Saucerful of Secrets" or "Shine on You Crazy Diamond" or "The Embryo" or whatever as Prog depending upon how they use the term. Sometimes people make such such claims without hearing enough of the discography, or understanding the diversity of ways to approach the question "What is progressive rock, and does it have set boundaries?"

if people were to ask me what kind of music Pink Floyd makes, well it would depend on the period. I tend to think of a lot of it as Art Rock primarily.

I'm not keen on Kansas, but of course that has no bearing on whether or not I consider it Prog. I am fine with calling various albums and individual tracks Prog by Kansas, but not all of it (I haven't heard all of it, but I've heard quite a bit, and owned Leftoverture). So is it a Prog band, I'd sooner call it a band that made Prog music and other music, partially because I don't think of bands themselves as Prog. I find that can lead to over-generalisations. I often like to leave pigeon-holing to the pigeons.
Unfortunately, without labels we couldn't describe the music that these bands make. We have a pretty good idea of what symphonic prog, electric prog, etc. sounds like. If someone says that such and such artist is great, we ask "what do they sound like?" If someone says Avant/RIO, then we have a pretty good inkling of what to expect without referencing an artist that we may or may not be familiar with.

The bottom line, imho, in determining if a rock album is prog, or not, is simply to compare it to what else is or was popular at the same time. Does WYWH sound like Red Octopus by the Jefferson Starship? Or does it sound like Born To Run by Springsteen? These albums were all released at pretty much the same time back in 1975. It's silly to me to say albums like DSotM, WYWH and Animals are not prog when compared to the typical rock music of the day. The same with Kansas which, like you, I'm not a fan of. But that's neither here nor there. These groups are either prog or they're not. And if not, then we're all congregating at the wrong music forum. 

Edited by SteveG - February 14 2020 at 14:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:42
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

I agree. Most of the posters who've argued Kansas isn't prog refer to Leftoverture or Point of Know Return, by which time Kansas was well on its way toward a more commercial sound. Their first 3 albums are definitely prog. After that, well that's where the disagreement should really begin.

I agree. But.....I'm done with this topic. Wink
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 14:49
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Edited by SteveG - February 14 2020 at 14:50
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 15:16
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

It's rather like those people who claim Magma is nothing but a rather funky disco soul band because they only heard "Call From the Dark (Ooh Ooh Baby)".

Or some of the later Can stuff. Wink
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0) Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 14 2020 at 15:18

Nope! I never liked DSotM anywhere near as much as what came after! They clearly peaked with the two albums you mention. And you're still off: DSotM isn't any "less prog" than WYWH/Animals.

But I'd rather spin Meddle than any other Floyd album at this stage. I burned out on 'em.

And I'd sooner listen to Dave's first solo album! Okay, let me know when your head stops spinning. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011>