Poll Question: Take your pick..
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
49 [51.04%]
47 [48.96%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Sacro_Porgo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2020 at 17:22
Originally posted by zeuhl1 zeuhl1 wrote:

Originally posted by octopus-4 octopus-4 wrote:

I keep my vynils in alphabetical order by artist. Pink tops Genesis. (Apart of that I'm everything but a Genesis fan)

I used to work in a record store in the early 90's
customer: "hey you guys don't have any Floyd?"
me: "yes, did you look under P"
customer: "I'm an idiot"

LOL That's hilarious!
Porg for short. My love of music doesn't end with prog! Feel free to discuss all sorts of music with me. Odds are I'll give it a chance if I haven't already! :)
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote geekfreak Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 02:26
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Let the site decide...

LOL trust you! FOXTROT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but DSOTM is awesome
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 10:44
I cast the deciding vote!
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2020 at 10:59
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

If an album has a great production and sound effects that perfectly fit into the general scope of the album and underline its message in a perfect way, that doesn't mean that the album is only appreciated so highly because of production and sound effects.
Foxtrot is an excellent album of progressive rock and I now think it may be my favourite out of Genesis' studio albums. However I voted for DSOTM, not because of production and sound effects because apart from the supreme songwriting there is something really deep about this album, touching the basis of the human condition, if you want. There are some reaction videos around demonstrating what it does to people.

Now I love Watcher of the Skies to pieces but it will not trigger this kind of feelings. Obviously this has nothing to do with how proggy it is, that's a side issue of little musical and emotional interest.

Yes we are talkin about very good albums, masterpieces or almost masterpieces. I agree with you, sound effects in TDSOTM perfectly fit into the general scope of the album. In my personal ranking both Foxtrot and TDSOTM are between 4 and 5 stars, but TDSOTM is really close to 5 stars.

Still, I consider TDSOTM overrated thanks to the perfection of his packaging. Overrated if I think that it is in the Top 10 of PA and RateYourMusic. 
"Happiness is real only when shared"
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789