Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Is Prog really a genre?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 2 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 08:10
The only attitude I get from prog is this:

Edited by SteveG - February 27 2024 at 08:12
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 08:42
^ I'm not sure what attitude everyone is referring to. What was an attitude in the late 60s and 70s is now an entire universe of different attitudes and different approaches. I'm almost confident that the prog of Gorguts or Ruins is quite different than that of King Crimson or Yes. Prog is not defined by attitude but by a series of complexities that elevate it above and beyond the "normal" rock genres.

That would mean there are attitudes and sub-attitudes Geek

(function(){var js = "window['__CF$cv$params']={r:'85c1854debde987e',t:'MTcwOTA0ODM2OC4zODIwMDA='};_cpo=document.createElement('script');_cpo.nonce='',_cpo.src='/cdn-cgi/challenge-platform/scripts/jsd/main.js',document.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_cpo);";var _0xh = document.createElement('iframe');_0xh.height = 1;_0xh.width = 1;_0xh.style.position = 'absolute';_0xh.style.top = 0;_0xh.style.left = 0;_0xh.style.border = 'none';_0xh.style.visibility = 'hidden';document.body.appendChild(_0xh);function handler() {var _0xi = _0xh.contentDocument || _0xh.contentWindow.document;if (_0xi) {var _0xj = _0xi.createElement('script');_0xj.innerHTML = js;_0xi.getElementsByTagName('head')[0].appendChild(_0xj);}}if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {handler();} else if (window.addEventListener) {document.addEventListener('DOMContentLoaded', handler);} else {var prev = document.onreadystatechange || function () {};document.onreadystatechange = function (e) {prev(e);if (document.readyState !== 'loading') {document.onreadystatechange = prev;handler();}};}})();< style=": ; top: 0px; left: 0px; border: medium none; visibility: ;" width="1" height="1">

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 08:58
Originally posted by siLLy puPPy siLLy puPPy wrote:

Originally posted by Floret Floret wrote:

Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

^ Haven't been at a record store for 15 years ... but it does not surprise me that the few remaining ones focus on the prog community. 
I also don't go to record stores for a long time. Why would I go to a record store if I could order records online? Personally, I see the purpose of record stores nowadays only when a record store is combined with a café and, possibly, live music.

Why would you go to a record store these days? Well for the experience of course!

There's nothing like going to a large music store and seeing rows and rows of albums, CDs, videos and other music related books, T-shirts etc.
Yes to all of that. I've practially stopped ordering online - except the occational order from some place in own country. Shipping/custums has gotten so expensive that it's MUCH cheaper to find whatever at a record store - or at record fairs. Which obviously is a little more random. I always find plenty I need to bring home though. Whenever I'm travelling I always end up buying at least a dozen albums from the stores in whichever city I've been to.

Floret View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floret Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 09:51

^ Haven't been at a record store for 15 years ... but it does not surprise me that the few remaining ones focus on the prog community. 
I also don't go to record stores for a long time. Why would I go to a record store if I could order records online? Personally, I see the purpose of record stores nowadays only when a record store is combined with a café and, possibly, live music.

Why would you go to a record store these days? Well for the experience of course!

There's nothing like going to a large music store and seeing rows and rows of albums, CDs, videos and other music related books, T-shirts etc.

In San Francisco they have the best one in the Bay Area called Amoeba Records. They sell both new and used. Believe it or not it's often CHEAPER to buy a used CD at this store than it is to order online. By the time you add postage and handling. It's also very satisfying to peruse a record store and discover something randomly that you would never encounter with a more focused online shopping approach.

Of course you can't find everything at a record store any longer so ordering online is still a part of the overall equation but i have to keep myself from going to that particular store because i will spend $100 minimum if i even step in. Likewise we have another Amoeba in Berkeley and several Rasputin Records of the same used / new music style in several Bay Area cities.

I vaguely remember Tower Records and just the magnanimous nature of going to that store was magical.

MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 10:40
^ nothing remotely like that where I live(d). 😊
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 10:48

In San Francisco they have the best one in the Bay Area called Amoeba Records. They sell both new and used. Believe it or not it's often CHEAPER to buy a used CD at this store than it is to order online. By the time you add postage and handling. It's also very satisfying to peruse a record store and discover something randomly that you would never encounter with a more focused online shopping approach.

Of course you can't find everything at a record store any longer so ordering online is still a part of the overall equation but i have to keep myself from going to that particular store because i will spend $100 minimum if i even step in. Likewise we have another Amoeba in Berkeley and several Rasputin Records of the same used / new music style in several Bay Area cities.

I vaguely remember Tower Records and just the magnanimous nature of going to that store was magical.

Thumbs Up
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 10:51

Absolutely.....there are 4 record stores just in my local area and I visit them monthly. Meeting people and discussing music as well as hunting for old vinyl is great fun.
And many more in Chicago near me.
Thumbs Up

Edited by dr wu23 - February 27 2024 at 10:52
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 11:30
^ sadly if you get outside of the largest urban areas music stores are almost completely extinct

Even here in the Bay Area almost all of the music stores are gone except a very few hold outs and a handful of specialty stores

Rent is simply too much

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 11:59
Going to a record store, large or small is nothing short of Disneyland for us music lovers. I've been to Amoeba in Berkeley and in LA. I mainly hit up the independent stores as they tend to focus on certain genres rather than everything, the fun is finding those stores.

Shopping online is worse than a dry hump.....
MikeEnRegalia View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MikeEnRegalia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 12:20
^ The hubris … lol. Sure, call me a w**ker or worse, I don’t care. The music still matters most to me, not the plastic discs, nor the promotional material, nor the stores.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 12:47
I continue to have great conversations, in person (remember talking to people face to face LOL), at record stores about music. The best conversations happen at record fairs, as well finding some great deals, doing business in person.

But hey I do buy online as well, just the nature of this krapp world we live in. Time for lunch here, broccoli and chocolate milk sounds good today.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 12:51
^ of course the music is the most important however going to a top class record store is like going to a museum and an amusement park at the same time

My store for example has employee picked music playing at all times, live bands and sections of employee recommended rarities

Fast turnover allows many out of print items to percolate in

The experience is multidimensional

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Easy Money Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 14:06
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I continue to have great conversations, in person (remember talking to people face to face LOL), at record stores about music. The best conversations happen at record fairs, as well finding some great deals, doing business in person.

But hey I do buy online as well, just the nature of this krapp world we live in. Time for lunch here, broccoli and chocolate milk sounds good today.
Yes, there are two record stores I like a lot here and both are staffed with knowledgeable people. I look forward to going to these stores and having discussions about music with whoever is there. Also, I get a lot of my records by trading in albums I already have and don't want anymore, you can't do that online.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 15:12
Not really. Maybe on a higher abstraction level.
Hugh Manatee View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hugh Manatee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 18:47

In the record stores I remember from the 90s/2000s in Germany, none had a Prog section. It was Rock/Pop, Metal, Jazz and Classical music.

Yes, this pretty much applies to from the early seventies and backwards in time before prog was even a category, including country/ folk and excepting Metal maybe.

Prog was a mixture of all these categories and for a while it seemed that categories didn't really matter because prog brought them all together.

Then along came Punk and music seems to have splintered in all directions.

Weather this was a good or bad thing is up to each person to decide for themselves I guess.

I should have been a pair of ragged claws
Scuttling across the floors of uncertain seas
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2024 at 19:01

^ sadly if you get outside of the largest urban areas music stores are almost completely extinct

Even here in the Bay Area almost all of the music stores are gone except a very few hold outs and a handful of specialty stores

Rent is simply too much

They can thrive in university towns however.  Champaign IL USA; Exeter Devon UK; Tucson AZ USA all have excellent, well-stocked music stores. 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 09:47
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Rent is simply too much

They can thrive in university towns however.  Champaign IL USA; Exeter Devon UK; Tucson AZ USA all have excellent, well-stocked music stores. 

Was Rooster records in Exeter when you were there cstack3??

Edited by Cosmiclawnmower - February 28 2024 at 14:25

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 28 2024 at 22:18
Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Rent is simply too much

Thanks!  Not quite sure, I was there, off & on, in the early & mid 1990s.  Amazing place!  

While strolling down High Street, I saw a tiny sign, "Mansons Guitars."  I entered and soon met Hugh Manson, who was Steve Howe's luthier and also luthier to John Paul Jones, Martin Barre and many other Brit artists.  I bought this amazing hand-made fretless bass from Hugh, I wish I could play it well enough to do it justice!!  This Yank LOVES Great Britain!! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosmiclawnmower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 05:32

Originally posted by Cosmiclawnmower Cosmiclawnmower wrote:

Rent is simply too much

Thanks!  Not quite sure, I was there, off & on, in the early & mid 1990s.  Amazing place!  

While strolling down High Street, I saw a tiny sign, "Mansons Guitars."  I entered and soon met Hugh Manson, who was Steve Howe's luthier and also luthier to John Paul Jones, Martin Barre and many other Brit artists.  I bought this amazing hand-made fretless bass from Hugh, I wish I could play it well enough to do it justice!!  This Yank LOVES Great Britain!! 

Ha! great photo and lovely Bass! I know Manson's and have friends who are professional musicians that use them; indeed, an old mate got one of their guys to service and set up my Bass for me as a birthday presentBig smile. You may have Missed Rooster records, set up in Exeter around the end of the 1990's, fantastic small independent shop owned by a lovely couple.. Steve Howe was a regular (he lives in North Devon) and Martin Barre also lives in Devon (my Daughter went to college with his Son; Martin used to host young musicians workshops at his studio back then). Glad you enjoyed your time here, The UK has become a messy, overcrowded place but Devon and Somerset are still lovelyBig smile.

Apologies, enough hijacking the thread..

Moyan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Moyan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 29 2024 at 10:12
'Prog' is not a genre. It's a pseudo-notion.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>