This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 22:00
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

That you probably never heard of Shotham does not surprise mer, but believe me, the Indians know him a lot better than Peart.

Really?  This is the first time I have heard of his name.  Tongue   Zakir Hussain - check.  Vikku Vinayagaram - check. T V Gopalakrishnan - check.  (all legendary traditional percussionists, NOT drummers) Trilok Gurtu - check.  Sivamani - check.  Ramesh Shotham?  Sorry, no clue. You not only purport to know that Peart is not popular in Germany but everywhere else in the world except USA/Canada.  I would be interested to know who do you think are some popular composers in India (I hope you are aware that film music to this day reigns supreme in India?) and I might then be able to tell you just how popular they really are here. Wink

As I said, Shotham has been around for over 30 years already. He shares a quality with Trilok Gurtu though: Both have played with the German band Embryo.
Shotam is a drummer and percussionist. He is, like almost every Indian percussionist, well schooled in the tala tarangini., the highly complicated Indian art of playing percussion. The late Charlie Mariano, a player of saxes, flute and nagaswaram, studied these Indian rhythms too, which is how he came in conttact with Shotham.
I did not say Peart is not popular in these countries. I merely say he is not as popular there as has been claimed. "Most popular drummer on the planet" - sorry, no.
It appears to me that Rush fans suffer from a kind of inferiority complex because Rush were not around when prog started and onlyjoined in a few years later., And they are trying  to compensate it with a superiority complex about Rush's musicians, especially Peart.
As I mentioned before: Peart is certainly a very skilled drummer, but not better or worse skilled than at least a dozen others. But for a true Peart fan rthis is of course not enough; as long as I don't bow my knee and shout  "All hail Peart the überdrummer!" they won't be satisfied. Sorry guys, but I understand a bit about drumming since I am a drummer myself, and you won't hear that from me.

Lady, at this point I think you're more invested in not liking Rush fans than Rush fans are into liking Rush. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
rod65 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 22:16
Originally posted by Lark the Starless Lark the Starless wrote:

Originally posted by rod65 rod65 wrote:

Originally posted by Lark the Starless Lark the Starless wrote:

Originally posted by rod65 rod65 wrote:

Yeah. You're sounding a little DRIVEN. I suggest that you chill out and ROLL THE BONES, with maybe each of the COUNTERPARTS allowing the other ONE LITTLE VICTORY. At least demonstrate a little GRACE UNDER PRESSURE, and maybe even try to get a little CLOSER TO THE HEART.

If not, By-Tor AND the Snowdog will bite your anus.

And that particular CARESS OF STEEL would certainly make some PERMANENT WAVES.

Entre Nous, I Think I'm Going Bald.

A pity. So I suppose we should put on our BRAVEST FACE and stop this MALIGNANT NARCICISM. Time to FLY BY NIGH ACROSS THE STYX THE BEST I CAN. But hey: IN THE END, we're just MAKING MEMORIES.
himtroy View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 22:45
Without feel.  The man clearly has lots of technical ability, but his drumming seems so mathematically calculated and pre-planned to me.  I get incredibly bored when listening to his unemotional drumming.
Which of you to gain me, tell, will risk uncertain pains of hell?
I will not forgive you if you will not take the chance.
SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 22:51
A good drummer, but not in my top five. 
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 23:25
Originally posted by 40footwolf 40footwolf wrote:

That you probably never heard of Shotham does not surprise mer, but believe me, the Indians know him a lot better than Peart.

Really?  This is the first time I have heard of his name.  Tongue   Zakir Hussain - check.  Vikku Vinayagaram - check. T V Gopalakrishnan - check.  (all legendary traditional percussionists, NOT drummers) Trilok Gurtu - check.  Sivamani - check.  Ramesh Shotham?  Sorry, no clue. You not only purport to know that Peart is not popular in Germany but everywhere else in the world except USA/Canada.  I would be interested to know who do you think are some popular composers in India (I hope you are aware that film music to this day reigns supreme in India?) and I might then be able to tell you just how popular they really are here. Wink

As I said, Shotham has been around for over 30 years already. He shares a quality with Trilok Gurtu though: Both have played with the German band Embryo.
Shotam is a drummer and percussionist. He is, like almost every Indian percussionist, well schooled in the tala tarangini., the highly complicated Indian art of playing percussion. The late Charlie Mariano, a player of saxes, flute and nagaswaram, studied these Indian rhythms too, which is how he came in conttact with Shotham.
I did not say Peart is not popular in these countries. I merely say he is not as popular there as has been claimed. "Most popular drummer on the planet" - sorry, no.
It appears to me that Rush fans suffer from a kind of inferiority complex because Rush were not around when prog started and onlyjoined in a few years later., And they are trying  to compensate it with a superiority complex about Rush's musicians, especially Peart.
As I mentioned before: Peart is certainly a very skilled drummer, but not better or worse skilled than at least a dozen others. But for a true Peart fan rthis is of course not enough; as long as I don't bow my knee and shout  "All hail Peart the überdrummer!" they won't be satisfied. Sorry guys, but I understand a bit about drumming since I am a drummer myself, and you won't hear that from me.

Lady, at this point I think you're more invested in not liking Rush fans than Rush fans are into liking Rush. 

It has nothing to do with  noit liking Rush- Perhaops ayou should read what I sad.I cknowledged his skills - what more do you want? But it is simply not true that his skills exceed those of  any other drummer.. It seems I am right though - this is not enough for you, you have to hear that he is the überdrummer.. It apparently has nothing  to do with my dislike of Rush (which is actually saying too much. I don't really dislike them - I simply think they are uninteresting), it has more to do with your liking of them

Edited by BaldFriede - November 08 2010 at 23:34

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 23:30
this thread still exists?  christ...
Pekka View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 23:37
This has been a highly entertaining discussion to follow.

Peart is one of my favourites, though I'm not sure if I'd place him in my top 5 or not. Probably yes. I like his style, be it with sticks or a pen.
WalterDigsTunes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 23:39
He shouldn't be allowed near pen and paper ever again.
Any Colour You Like View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 23:41
Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

SaltyJon View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 23:45
Originally posted by Any Colour You Like Any Colour You Like wrote:

Originally posted by WalterDigsTunes WalterDigsTunes wrote:

You're probably safe - I'd say at this point he'd use a computer. Wink
40footwolf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 23:47

It has nothing to do with  noit liking Rush- Perhaops ayou should read what I sad.I cknowledged his skills - what more do you want? But it is simply not true that his skills exceed those of  any other drummer.. It seems I am right though - this is not enough for you, you have to hear that he is the überdrummer.. It apparently has nothing  to do with my dislike of Rush (which is actually saying too much. I don't really dislike them - I simply think they are uninteresting), it has more to do with your liking of them

You should read what I said, because I'm not a fan of Peart's drumming. You've simply put an incredible amount of energy into arguing against a point nobody was making. 
Heaven's made a cesspool of us all.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 08 2010 at 23:53

You should read what I said, because I'm not a fan of Peart's drumming. You've simply put an incredible amount of energy into arguing against a point nobody was making. 

A point nobody was making? There appear to be thirteen votes for option one. And you should read what kind of stuff is being written about him in several other threads about drumming. The point has been made a thousand times on this site.

Hawkwise View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 00:32
The Fact some people 47 people think  he's in top 5 of drummers  is amazing to me , maybe they not heard many Drummers or maybe they just like him cause they like him. all rather subjective anyway and rather pointless really

Last time i checked music wasn't a sport  doesn't matter about whats the score.I couldn't really give a flying fig weather drummer so called best or top 5  as long music moves me and i enjoy it all that matters in the End.

Still Richard Chadwick Probably better drummer than Peart but hey what i know,  all subjective anyway i could give a list easily of 100 other Drummers who would consider better BUT what does that really Mean?

Sweet Fa that's what  .

But makes for good fun on Music Forums such as This.
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 02:25
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

Originally posted by Hawkwise Hawkwise wrote:

I Would Like to see Mr Peart with Just a Snare a bass drum , a Tom and a Hi Hat  see how interesting he would make it. <span style="text-decoration: underline;"></span>
Interesting as Neil is know for his percussion battery but I haven't seen him play with a stripped down set.

Enjoy

Then probably say how poor he is

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 02:51
Neil Peart is?.... (NOT German)
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 02:57
Is there really anything more to say on this?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Jim Garten View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin & Razor Guru

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 03:00
Probably

Just for the record, I'm not a fanboy (I hate that expression), but NP is my favorite drummer; I'm not saying he is the best (well... ), but personally, he is my favorite, so there... yah boo shucks & no returns)

Jon Lord 1941 - 2012
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 03:20
There is no arguing about tastesj,and I am perfectly fine with a statemment like "Neil Peart" is my favourite drummer".I personally think that drummers like Pierre Moerlen, Christian Vander, Mani Neumeier, Jon Hiseman or Dennis Chambers, to name but a few, are a lot more interesting.

Edited by BaldFriede - November 09 2010 at 03:40

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 03:22
I was a bit of a Rush fanboy in my teens.. I considered them almost superhuman.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 09 2010 at 03:47
Better than having been a fanboy of Elvis when you were a teen. It is one of the dark specks in Jean's biography Wink. Another is having been a Raiderette.LOL
To be fair to her: I used to be a fan Heino once Embarrassed, a German singer who is extremely popular with old ladies. Nothing could be more embarrassing than mentioning this. He has a tgood baritone voice though, but his music. I have no diea what came over me at that time of myy admittedly quitre early life. To demonstrate what I am guilty of here a short clip of heino:

Edited by BaldFriede - November 09 2010 at 04:01

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 78910>