Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes Relayer Steven Wilson Remix

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Yes Relayer Steven Wilson Remix
    Posted: November 03 2014 at 17:52
Has anyone heard the new Steven Wilson remix of Yes' Relayer? I received mine today and have listened to it a couple of times. Perhaps it's just me, but it sounds dull and muddy. Also, every once in awhile I hear small pops (like we used to hear on vinyl albums). Anyone else received their copy of the Relayer remix, and if so, can you please share your thoughts on the sound quality.

I usually love SW remix works (the work he did with some of the legendary King Crimson albums is fantastic), so I don't know if I received a defective package or if this is the way SW intended it to sound like.
tuxon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 19:35
I totally hate Steven Wilson, it's like he wants to be part of a movement he wasn't in, in the first place, he's to late, create your own or flow with it, but don't try and get into it and screw the origin to fit the current.

anyway, I don't have the remix and wouldn't buy it if it was for free, the original on vinyl rules, and the CD version is allright (some issues with dynamics though)

anyway, no I haven't heard his remix,   Should I?
I'm always almost unlucky _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ Id5ZcnjXSZaSMFMC Id5LM2q2jfqz3YxT
CryoftheCarrots View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 03 2014 at 22:21
Originally posted by tuxon tuxon wrote:

I totally hate Steven Wilson, it's like he wants to be part of a movement he wasn't in, in the first place, he's to late, create your own or flow with it, but don't try and get into it and screw the origin to fit the current.

anyway, I don't have the remix and wouldn't buy it if it was for free, the original on vinyl rules, and the CD version is allright (some issues with dynamics though)

anyway, no I haven't heard his remix,   Should I?
  You do know he is asked to do the 5.1 remixes by all the original artists not the other way round.
King Crimson,Yes,Caravan,Hawkwind,Jethro Tull,XTC etc.
Either you get 5.1 or you dont. I personally am a fan and set up my audio equipment to enjoy that format when I can.
Back to the op - have you heard the surround mix ? If so whajathink?
"There is a lot in this world to be tense and intense about"

MJK
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 01:16
I had the MP3 ages ago thanks to Amazon and listened to the alternative version ( ie demo) whihc sounded good. On that basis I'm quite optimistic about the CD version which I also received yesterday but have yet to listen to it. Once I have I will comment.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 01:24
I'm a big fan of Steve Wilson's remix works of ancient prog albums, and as Relayer is my favourite Yes' album as well, this is really great news for me.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 01:33
Moved to featured albums.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2014 at 17:55
I haven't heard the 5.1 ... just the album remix on the CD. However, I found some folks on Progressiveears.org who say the 5.1 also sounds muddy. Maybe it's just because we've (or at least me) become so used to hearing versions of Relayer over the years that have been overly 'brightened' and 'bassed."

By the way, there are many nuances in the music that really come alive under SW's remix ... I never heard them on the original vinyl or any version since. The battle section in Gates, or example, has a lot of little treats; Steve's guitar work on Sound Chaser, and again on To Be Over, and more. It's fun hearing all these little treats for the first time.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 01:19
Yep I had a listen and although I had to crank the volume up a bit it sounds good. None of these recent reissues are amazing but generally you do get an improvement. There were always problems with the heavily compressed nature of the original CD issue and Wilson has tried to alleviate this a bit without losing dynamics. I would give him a 7/10 for his effort.
PrognosticMind View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 04:20
I have not heard this yet, but I'm definitely keen to!
"A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous. Got me?"
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 08:43
I played my original cd copy of Relayer the other day and while I really like Gates... , Sound Chaser and To Be Over just don't do that much for me. I can't imagine that a remix will change my mind on those two tracks.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 09:45
The Relayer album has always sounded a bit to busy for my taste - too many sounds vying for lead but nothing stands out.  For this reason, I've never really gotten into it.  Still, it's the last solid Yes album IMO.  Everything after leaves me cold.
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 14:50
I couldn't give diddly for a new remix of Relayer.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 05 2014 at 17:30
The regular CD version will probably not be all that as compared to the older reissue version....If he remixed the original tapes to say 24bit digital master then the regular CD will get dumber down to 16bit or redbook. I have to think based on all his other remix/remaster works that the DVD-A/5.1 sounds better, if your system can play that.

For me its why I go for the vinyl versions as those are done from the full digital remix/remaster files......I have not heard thou that a vinyl version has been issued....My original version on vinyl is well enough.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 05:44
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I couldn't give diddly for a new remix of Relayer.

Thanks for that. Confused
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 09:14
I mean, I've already read somewhere that the second-to-the-last remaster is the best. And as many times that I've read here that its original recording is crappy, I still like it intensely (and find it very intense in parts) to not yearn for anything more. Any new remaster just seems to be another money-grab, and I've grown weary of that run-around.
Cinema View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 15:55
Stupid question for you folks: While it's easy-peasy to rip the music from a CD, is there a way to rip the music from a DVD? iTunes won't do it; anyone know a utility that will do in on the Mac? 

In order to retain the pristine condition of my CDs, I rip them all into uncompressed AIFF files. I can then easily listen to the digital files on stereo and various digital devices.
Padraic View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 16:07
http://www.dvdae.com/

First hit on Google

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 16:28
Originally posted by Rednight Rednight wrote:

I mean, I've already read somewhere that the second-to-the-last remaster is the best. And as many times that I've read here that its original recording is crappy, I still like it intensely (and find it very intense in parts) to not yearn for anything more. Any new remaster just seems to be another money-grab, and I've grown weary of that run-around.

Steven did not just do a simple remaster...This is a remix of the original analog tapes. A remix is a much more involved process than a simple remaster. He actually takes each channel/track and makes adjustments to correct volume issues, pushing instruments and sounds back or forward depending on what the artist wants. That is why what he does has the approval of the artist, he works in conjunction with them. Take what he has done with King Crimson, those remix versions are brilliant and are corrected for much better sound and mix.

From these tapes he will probably create high resolution digital master files in a 24bit resolution and from there come the DVD-A/5.1 discs as well as vinyl. The regular CD will be truncated down to redbook standard of 44/16bit......I agree most remasters are money-grabs, a full remix is worth the price of admission when SW is at the helm, he knows what he is doing.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 18:59
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

..... I agree most remasters are money-grabs, a full remix is worth the price of admission when SW is at the helm, he knows what he is doing.

In general I agree. However, when I heard KC's first, I have to admit that there was nothing in it that helped me feel any different than when it came out and I first heard it.

To me, it is not the orchestra and how different a "director" it has, but how the music comes out. I did not feel, that there was anything different in the emotional involvement of the work itself and that merely changing the volumes and instrument placement on the left ear or right ear, made that much of a difference for me, or would for you.

The problem is, that we think the LP's are better, and the digital solution keeps trying to make the LP redundant, and so far it has not done so. Sometimes, I think that what we need in the top, is not a Karajhan or Leinsdorf, but a Bernstein! And while Steven deserves credit for the work, in the end, I think he would do much better if he got around to going back to his band.

He's taking far too much credit for this, and far too much criticism, and all he is doing is really trying to clean up what would normally be considered bad recording that could not be fixed in the old days of the tape recorder ... and in that, one could say that he did well.

Edited by moshkito - November 06 2014 at 18:59
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 06 2014 at 23:18
^ When KC first came out I did not get it at all, I was too young, Schizoid was cool because of the metal sound, distorted and all that. The rest of the album made no sense.......Flash forward a long time and I have only begun to appreciate KC in the past 10yrs. Pulling that album out 10-15yrs ago I knew something was not right with the recording.
Then reading about how the tape deck was not aligned well, creating a bad recording...You can't fix that. But SW did do a better job than any of the reissues before his. It allowed me to hear, feel the music much better, an understanding....The intricacies of what KC wa doing I was now hearing better.

For that reason I enjoy what SW is doing with all these remix projects.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>