Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat is that to you - coherence?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 09 2014 at 20:03
coherence simplified to me means that it will keep my attention span constantly interested.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 01:40
Originally posted by Slartibartfast Slartibartfast wrote:

I think people who are obsessed with coherence are pretentious.

that's very punk of you
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 01:45
Originally posted by richardh richardh wrote:

that's very punk of you
hahaha RichardH, I usually agree with you but now I do understand Slartibartfast point of view too Smile First of all coherence is perceived differently to all of us, heck we even accept demons and wizards lol (pink unicorns is taking it a bit too far)  WinkHug
punk moozik btw to me is anti musicianship, anything goes no need to focus on instrumentals and this is a shame to me. more hugs Hug

Edited by Kati - December 10 2014 at 01:49
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:11
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

that's very punk of you

hahaha RichardH, I usually agree with you but now I do understand Slartibartfast point of view too Smile First of all coherence is perceived differently to all of us, heck we even accept demons and wizards lol (pink unicorns is taking it a bit too far)  WinkHug
punk moozik btw to me is anti musicianship, anything goes no need to focus on instrumentals and this is a shame to me. more hugs Hug

I might've thought that perceiving coherence differently would just make it more interesting, but after awhile I figured out that this thread is less about coherence itself and more about reviewing. I do agree with a point made earlier that one is unlikely to come across an album that truly lacks coherence, and it's not valuable for reviewing for that reason. It doesn't mean that it's not real and that people (e.g. Musicians) don't think about it. Who hasn't considered it in putting together their own compilations (mixed tapes)? Alas, I realize now that such a discussion may require its own thread.

This is the first time I've used 'alas' in a sentence. Do I get an award, a t-shirt or something?

Edited by HackettFan - December 10 2014 at 09:15
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:16
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

that's very punk of you

I might've thought that perceiving coherence differently would just make it more interesting, but after awhile I figured out that this thread is less about coherence itself and more about reviewing. I do agree with a point made earlier that one is unlikely to come across an album that truly lacks coherence, and it's not valuable for reviewing for that reason. It doesn't mean that it's not real and that people (e.g. Musicians) don't think about it. Who hasn't considered it in putting together their own compilations (mixed tapes)? Is the content and order not important? Alas, I realize now that such a discussion may require its own thread.

This is the first time I've used 'alas' in a sentence. Do I get an award, a t-shirt or something?
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:17

that's very punk of you

I might've thought that perceiving coherence differently would just make it more interesting, but after awhile I figured out that this thread is less about coherence itself and more about reviewing. I do agree with a point made earlier that one is unlikely to come across an album that truly lacks coherence, and it's not valuable for reviewing for that reason. It doesn't mean that it's not real and that people (e.g. Musicians) don't think about it. Who hasn't considered it in putting together their own compilations (mixed tapes)? Alas, I realize now that such a discussion may require its own thread.
Awww HackettFan please don't leave this post Big smile what you said is interesting tho' Stern Smile hugs to you Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:25
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:30
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:31

that's very punk of you

Awww HackettFan please don't leave this post Big smile what you said is interesting tho' Stern Smile hugs to you Hug

You are very kind, Kati. There was a bit of people talking past each other, and I was one of the culprits in that awhile back, so maybe I've smoothed some of that out (?)
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:36
TradeMark0 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:54

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=ALBTKoXRg38BBJQSECCc9HU8GcUyfwUFx6&v=TPPWWkhRT8I

Ok, the musicianship isn't as good as prog, but this is still pretty good.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 09:59
Originally posted by TradeMark0 TradeMark0 wrote:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?list=ALBTKoXRg38BBJQSECCc9HU8GcUyfwUFx6&v=TPPWWkhRT8I

ha! TradeMark0! Ok I believe you let me go listen to your suggestion right now SmileHug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 10:06
Originally posted by TradeMark0 TradeMark0 wrote:

hahahaha thank you, TradeMark0 Smile I like this a lot tho'! The vocals at first not much however it reminded me of Alice Cooper. This is quirky and fun hahahaha .... bounce, bounce happy bounce xxx LOLBig smileHugthank you xxx

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 10:19
Magazine is awesome.  There are hardly any prog tracks that convey melancholy so effectively in just a few notes as Magazine do in You Never Knew Me.  

Also Siouxsie and the Banshees, notably the albums on which John McGeoch played guitar.  Admittedly both bands are post punk rather than plain vanilla punk, nevertheless....
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 10:19

that's very punk of you

You are very kind, Kati. There was a bit of people talking past each other, and I was one of the culprits in that awhile back, so maybe I've smoothed some of that out (?)
Awww you are so nice, HackettFan, thank you very VERY much. You, I like very much, again thank you for your reply and everything xxxxxx  
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 16:22
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Coherence for me is overall flow. Does it all hang right together ? 

It's also the picture the album paints. For me, I can't listen to certain albums without being transported back to a certain time or place. Disraeli Gears, I'm around at a friends' house in the mid 70's, Dark Side, I was doing this, Space Ritual, I was doing that..... so. Does it all make sense and flow as a whole and does it paint a recognisable and memorable picture ? 

Nice description - once again proves hat coherence and quality are subjective.
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 10 2014 at 16:28

No awards, sorry...

This thread may have been about reviewing to some extend, but it was supposed to be about coherence in the end. Maybe the title should've been 'What is that to you as a listener - coherence?'. Either way, your mix tape discussion is surely part of this!
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789