Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Miles Davis belong in Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 07 2015 at 21:38
Here's a brilliant track, have a listen if you can or want, it's so good! ApproveClaphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzM4_Lf_dSc Miles Davis - Inamorata (HQ Audio)
WARNING: The album/track cover might be too much for some P.A. Collabs to handle here tho', I bet even Neal Morse wouldn't be offended by it nor judge the album cover as bad tho'  Wink
hugs Hug
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 06:37
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

Originally posted by Saperlipopette! Saperlipopette! wrote:

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

Are we able to agree on that and put this to bed?
You can re-read your post and notice that you were far from clear enough if what you meant to write is what you wrote in this post. I can easier agree with this although you underestimate the impact Miles had. 

I think you need to know a lot about the music you have strong opinions about on PA if you want people to agree with you "and put this to bed". 

Awww I love Lazland too much, Saperlipopette (lol I love your name it could be a new Smurf name, maybe Smurfette's partner Big smile hihi), Lazland doesn't particularly enjoy jazz this is acceptable ofcourse as all our tastes differ. This is a good thing too. But one fact is tru,e Miles Davis only played Jazz, he infused his music with other genres but always played Jazz not rock or anything else.
What you said is true too, he was an innovator no jazz artist has done what he did, he was fascinated by guitars and keyboards.
One thing alone that stands out in terms of music sound quality too as being progressive, was that his Album Bitches Brew was also released in 1973 as Quadraphonic (surround sound way before Dolby digital) and at the time the only two albums (I know) released in Quadraphonic were Dark Side of The Moon by Pink Floyd and Santana's Abraxas.
A massive hug to you, Hug   
I have no problems with Lazland and his tastes in music. I do however think I have better reasons to claim knowledge about what is being discussed here - both through listening and reading. And I believe I'm more correct regarding these issues than him because of it. Its a unsympathetic thing to claim I know, but that's how I think knowledge generally works. 

You write that one fact is true - that Miles only played jazz. Not certain I agree 100% but what am I supposed to do with your truth about Miles? 

Its a bit like stating "One fact is true King Crimson only played rock". First of all its not entirely true either and it doesn't really mean anything. They are both represented on PA because neither stayed true to these or any genres. 

- But it doesn't seem that we're in any real kind of disagreement and I appreciate the massive hug. Check out Smurfette: 

Evolver View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2015 at 14:13

Here's a brilliant track, have a listen if you can or want, it's so good! ApproveClaphttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzM4_Lf_dSc Miles Davis - Inamorata (HQ Audio)
WARNING: The album/track cover might be too much for some P.A. Collabs to handle here tho', I bet even Neal Morse wouldn't be offended by it nor judge the album cover as bad tho'  Wink
hugs Hug

Classic!
Trust me. I know what I'm doing.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 09:12
If there is a person held in high regard to what progressive music is about, it is Robert Fripp and here I quote him about Miles Davis:

"As a template how a creative, evolving band-unit works, my models would be always jazz groups. Miles Davis, particularly. Let’s face it, Miles was progressive." ~ Robert Fripp.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 10 2015 at 09:13
Originally posted by Evolver Evolver wrote:

hugs Hug

Classic!
Evolver, Smile a big hug to you Hug
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 14:04
Some really interesting comments/opinions above. ^^^^^

I appreciate the different angles of thought, but my own resides in Miles Davis is that of a progressive artist. The territory he explored with in Jazz has everything that a progrssive style of music showcases and means. I have to say yes. Yes to miles being a progressive artist, but with in progressive rock? Ah no.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Free like an Hydra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 14:17
I think that it would be better to rate on this site ONLY those artists' albums which the rater considers prog, ignoring those who don't.

Miles Davis have jazz/fussion albums but he also has albums like this one: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19282

And so we have Kind of Blue like "a masterpiece of progressive rock music, essential in any any prog rock music collection." And we have that album as 28º in the Prog Rock TOP 100.

Edited by Free like an Hydra - January 11 2015 at 14:19
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 14:25
hah.  A trade off discussed long and hard when he was added. 

Less of an evil to have jazz albums on the site than to not have fusion.  It has long been the site policy to not pick and choose which albums from artists to add or not add.  While this is an extreme case, most artists have albums some think belong..and some don't. Best to have them all and let the forum and reviews sort them out.

agree with you in a way... earlier poster.  But that is why the point has been made.. this is not a progressive rock site... it long ago became an half-assed (incomplete) extension of prog rock to include progressive music.
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 14:31
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Some really interesting comments/opinions above. ^^^^^

I appreciate the different angles of thought, but my own resides in Miles Davis is that of a progressive artist. The territory he explored with in Jazz has everything that a progrssive style of music showcases and means. I have to say yes. Yes to miles being a progressive artist, but with in progressive rock? Ah no.

As Zravkapt kept saying, go listen to Dark Magus. You'll see.

Originally posted by Free like an Hydra Free like an Hydra wrote:

I think that it would be better to rate on this site ONLY those artists' albums which the rater considers prog, ignoring those who don't.

Miles Davis have jazz/fussion albums but he also has albums like this one: http://www.progarchives.com/album.asp?id=19282

And so we have Kind of Blue like "a masterpiece of progressive rock music, essential in any any prog rock music collection." And we have that album as 28º in the Prog Rock TOP 100.

Let me just say, this is a site for all progressive music, but Kind of Blue isn't exactly that; Miles innovated by exploring different modes there, but the prog label demands exceptionally long tracks, complex time signatures, and etc. etc. So right track, there. In fact, Maiden Voyage belongs up top, but not Kind of Blue.

And welcome. 

Edited by Lear'sFool - January 11 2015 at 15:43
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 14:39
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

Less of an evil to have jazz albums on the site than to not have fusion.  It has long been the site policy to not pick and choose which albums from artists to add or not add.  While this is an extreme case, most artists have albums some think belong..and some don't. Best to have them all and let the forum and reviews sort them out.

agree with you in a way... earlier poster.  But that is why the point has been made.. this is not a progressive rock site... it long ago became an half-assed (incomplete) extension of prog rock to include progressive music.

Interesting. Really interesting because if we want to usher all music that is heavily Prog-related then this site and its genre classifications would have to be really expanded to a fairly high degree; thus, changing the face of this website. It's a lot of work, and I think this is why my beloved Fields Of The Nephilim haven't been added to the P.A database. .
Overall though, i feel PA definitely goes beyond just the boundaries of the many cataegories of rock related Prog.
I am a proud member. Great site that will welcome an album like 'A kind of blue' with open arms.
Some would think it shouldn't while others do think it should be listed here. Oh what beautiful controversy.

Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 14:58

Interesting. Really interesting because if we want to usher all music that is heavily Prog-related then this site and its genre classifications would have to be really expanded to a fairly high degree; thus, changing the face of this website. It's a lot of work, and I think this is why my beloved Fields Of The Nephilim haven't been added to the P.A database. .

Likely why it never did fully become so to now be stuck in 'limbo' as David calls it between a Progressive Rock site and Progressive music site.  It would be great to see it fully become what it hints at but yes.. to do so would involve a lot of things. One a hell of a lot of hard work..everyone are volunteers and that presupposes the inclination of those with the time and desire TO see it happen.  There are some, perhaps even many that would rather see it move backwards than forwards.. that the site expanded too far.  It would good judgement as that really open a Pandora's Box to the point of having bands/artists with the slightest progressive leanings (Willie Nelson on PA's... YES!!!!! LOL). 

Overall though, i feel PA definitely goes beyond just the boundaries of the many cataegories of rock related Prog.

I am a proud member. Great site that will welcome an album like 'A kind of blue' with open arms.
Some would think it shouldn't while others do think it should be listed here. Oh what beautiful controversy.

It keeps things hopping around here... the only thing worse than a combative controvserial forum is a dull one.

The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Free like an Hydra View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 15:06
Originally posted by Lear'sFool Lear'sFool wrote:

Let me just say, this is a site for all progressive music, but Kind of Blue isn't exactly that; Miles innovated by exploring different modes there, but the prog label demands exceptionally long tracks, complex time signatures, and etc. etc. So right track, there. In fact, Maiden Voyage belongs up top, but not Kind of Blue.

And welcome. 
Thanks, man.

I'm surprised to see Miles here and no Dhafer Youseff or Egberto Gismonti, for example.

Haven't listened to Maiden Voyage though.
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 15:10
^ Intriguing. I'll check those two out.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 15:35

Yes to miles being a progressive artist, but with in progressive rock? Ah no.

As Evolver kept saying, go listen to Dark Magus. You'll see.

I'm the one who kept telling ppl to listen to DM. I don't want to post the link a fourth time but if you can't hear any rock in that album then you should be banned from listening to any music.

Edited by zravkapt - January 11 2015 at 15:35
Magma America Great Make Again
LearsFool View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2015 at 15:42
^ Oh, apologies, got my names mixed up.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 18:17
I have a question; Is ProgArchives, related to progressive music in general or only to progressive "rock" music?
This is very unclear to me right now.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 18:39

I have a question; Is ProgArchives, related to progressive music in general or only to progressive "rock" music?

join the crowd...  a point made across many pages, in many threads. It is unclear, vague. David called it best. Limbo dudette...

Doctor Micky's advice

just drink.. lots of booze.. either you will finally understand.. that there is no understanding

.. or you will cease to think and stop caring..

either way you win! Thumbs Up
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 20:15

join the crowd...  a point made across many pages, in many threads. It is unclear, vague. David called it best. Limbo dudette...

Doctor Micky's advice

just drink.. lots of booze.. either you will finally understand.. that there is no understanding

.. or you will cease to think and stop caring..

either way you win! Thumbs Up
hahaha!! Micky, what you said is so funny LOL I am starting to believe all you said here above is actually true really hahaha!!
Cheers and a massive big hug to you Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 20:18
Originally posted by Free like an Hydra Free like an Hydra wrote:

And welcome. 
Thanks, man.

I'm surprised to see Miles here and no Dhafer Youseff or Egberto Gismonti, for example.

Haven't listened to Maiden Voyage though.
Maybe the fact that others are not mentioned here is due the fact that forum topic/name says Does Miles Davis belong in Prog? Wink
hugs

Edited by Kati - January 14 2015 at 20:19
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 14 2015 at 20:29

We'll have to review all the Dean and Moshkito exchanges. The answer's in there somewhere.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 16171819>