Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - How difficult for youngster to get the classics?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedHow difficult for youngster to get the classics?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: How difficult for youngster to get the classics?
    Posted: December 14 2014 at 11:44
I'm from the old guard, approaching my 50th birthday. Within our generation when we discuss about Prog or Rock music in general, we can effortlessly introduce in the conversation considerations about The Beatles, Jimi Hendrix, John Bonham, Syd Barret, Keith Moon, Keith Emerson, Jimmy Page, Tommy, Jesus Christ Superstar....., even about the Summer Of Love, Woodstock or The Isle Of Wight even if many like me were too young to actually live it, but it was still the hype during our growing up so we learnt about it. I guess that unconsciously we have that background as some kind of benchmark and we tend to use many of those references when thinking or talking about Prog today.

But for the younger generations interested in Prog, it must be hard to follow us, I wonder if they do have much interest in learning about those times. I can imagine that many of the things we oldies talk about in these forums sound like too remote for them? and if they are interested in that pioneering period, how do they get to learn about it?  Just by listening to the albums of the period?

Or they tend to just neglect those roots and concentrate on the Prog of their generation?

Do they get very alienated or frustrated when in threads we oldies start discussing based on our benchmarks from the early 1970's which they probably do not know much about?  Or is it 'a must' for any Prog fan to learn the roots?

Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 12:00
I think it is down to the individual - just like everything around here. To generalise, I'd say about as hard as old timers trying to get the modern classics.

One thing that I often find missing with (some) young music fans is their inability to count in the historical factor of X band. That's why you sometimes get the ridiculous 'The Beatles are waaaaay overrated! The Mars Volta are a thousand times more progressive!!!'

Edited by Guldbamsen - December 14 2014 at 12:01
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 12:03
I'm always interested to read those stories. I think the music is more meaningful when I know the details of the creative process, production and especially how it was perceived by listeners back then. For me it's even more important than understand the lyrics of the songs.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 12:03
Who gives a damn what these young hooligans listen to? Now get off my lawn!
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
bhikkhu View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 12:21
Looks like we are the same age. My 11 year old son is eating up the classics right now. I just play things and let him decide. He started out liking the heavier stuff but recently he went out and got his own copies of Nursery Cryme, Foxtrot and Dark Side of the Moon. He also loves Discipline and even responded well to Aranis.
friso View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 12:22
I grew into liking the classic prog period between age 17 and age 20 and liked it eversince. I'll be 26 next thursday. To be honest, I have way more difficulty getting into the modern classics, I prefer the sound of the seventies.
progrockdeepcuts View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 12:27
I'm 22, been listening all my life. I love Tull, Zappa, King Crimson, Procol Harum, Rush, Caravan, Gong, Hatfield and the North, Banco, PFM, Supersister, Floyd, Gentle Giant, Can, Beefheart, Magma, Henry Cow, Univers Zero, and VdGG right alongside Cardiacs, Kate Bush, XTC, and some Marillion, right alongside Anglagard, Discipline, Thinking Plague, Alec K Redfearn, Mars Volta, The Decemberists, Steven Wilson, Mirthkon, Cheer Accident, Chrome Hoof, Aranis, The Cellar and Point, Knifeworld, Ut Gret, and Necromonkey!

Not the biggest fan of the Beatles - I don't think they are overrated, I just don't get it. Think you had to be there. Historical importance aside (I don't like things based on historical importance - I like what I enjoy), I'm not a fan.

Any questions?

Edited by progrockdeepcuts - December 14 2014 at 12:29

Listen to older shows here: mixcloud.com/progrockdeepcuts/
Xonty View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 13:04
I'm still a teenager, but anyone I've met (that's my age) who likes prog is into Porcupine Tree and Mars Volta, not ELP and Yes. In the end, we usually seem to meet halfway with Rush, or sometimes King Crimson, but what I always get when bringing up Genesis is "Oh, my dad listens to them." Confused No idea where my taste comes from though, because I used to like heavier and heavier bands and my parents both despise prog...
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 14:45
It was easy for me to get into prog, because I never understood how "rock 'n' roll" could be good for anything other than making noise. 

I am wondering if my conspicuously disproportionate love of Tormato and Works Vol. 2 has something to do with the time when I started listening to music on my own, which would have been around 1977. 

Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 14:53
As a "youngster," I find that some classic albums instantly appeal to me and others leave me dry. I also find that the more musical context I gain from that era, the easier it is for me to appreciate artists I formerly did not like. I'm pretty open that I don't love ELP or Genesis, but I still hold out for the hope that I may someday "get" them as I dig into other prog artists. This also applies to older generations getting into newer artists. Many of them aren't as up to date on the musical and artistic context of today and thus may miss some great music today as well. But just as I dig into the classics, there are plenty that dig into new bands.

That said, our opinions shouldn't be blindly led by "canon" considerations. As listeners, we can't control what we like or dislike, so I don't cover up any of my dislike for any "classic" artist. They are in the same boat with every other musician. It's a very crowded boat, and some of its passengers will get thrown overboard. That's just the way it is.
Argonaught View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 15:12
Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

It's a very crowded boat, and some of its passengers will get thrown overboard. That's just the way it is. 
Could we possibly toss overboard Kate Bush and Peter Hammill? Make it look like an accident or something. Evil Smile
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 15:19
Most of what I like is way before my time. I have said the Beatles' accomplishments are "exaggerated," but I'm using music by other contemporary bands like the Kinks, The Beach Boys, and Procol Harum as reference. The fab four still have some undeniably brilliant stuff, though, but I'm not going dub something classic just cause everyone says it is. The internet allows the younger crowd to really research and examine what made bands special back then in a way people with rose-colored glasses back then couldn't accurately see. Of course there's that one kid who doesn't like the sound of any band before the 90s. That guy is the butt of my jokes. My somewhat pretentious goal as a progressive fan is to be able to enjoy music that pushes boundaries from all periods. Gimme some 1500s Renaissance Period pieces and let me get back to you if they're proggy or not!
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 15:23
Originally posted by Argonaught Argonaught wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

It's a very crowded boat, and some of its passengers will get thrown overboard. That's just the way it is. 
Could we possibly toss overboard Kate Bush and Peter Hammill? Make it look like an accident or something. Evil Smile
You see, officers, they were kissing passionately on the stern. Too passionately.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 15:24
I didn't listen to any classical until I saw the movie Amadeus in the early eighties because Mozart looked cool.
So, how do we get classical to look cool again? LOL 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 15:38
More rock versions of Pictures at an Exhibition
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 16:09
I started seriously getting interest in music around 1985, starting my 'rock' career with Bon Jovi, Van Halen and Iron Maiden. After that came Marillion and Rush and Pink Floyd's The Wall, but it took me until 2005 to get a serious listen into old Genesis. Guess good old Phil blocked that road for me in the '80s, haha.
However, from that perspective, and that shows through in the comments above, it seems that whether or not you want to get a good listen of the classics, and appreciate them, depends completely on who you are, who feeds you your music and how curious you are yourself. Actually, I think that a lot (mind you, a lot is not the same as all) of the 'youngsters' are quite lacking in that last part - curiosity and initiative to go dig in the past. Not surprising with so much new, easy to get stuff on line, and the old hidden in dad's collection or on a dusty attic. That's not bad though - it takes time to learn things, and I am a very big supporter of letting people learn things at their own speed and in the order they prefer (the whole western education system stinks in that respect, but that's a different story). Let them begin in their own era, like I did, and discover the rest at there own pace. 

They'll get it at some point, and who says that we got it already? I'm looking back beyond Miles Davis at some point - my signature is not just a pointless sentence. ;-)
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 16:38
Fair enough to say that we oldies have also trouble getting all the nuts and bolts about the current music scene, I for one, I like listening to the new music but I'm not so interested in the stories behind it as I was when I was younger. Back then, knowing about the artists, their lives, their troubles, their excesses... was nearly as important as the music itself. Right now I get to know some modern bands but I know nothing about them beyond the music they play.
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 16:38
I am also 50 this month, and get the biggest thrill listening to new music. It is the main reason why this site continues to serve such an important function.

As for the yoof of today, bless, they will, like every other generation, take the best of the old, and fuse it with themselves and their new ways of doing things. It is how we as a race continue to evolve. For me it is a good thing. I would despair if a great new band simply did Trespass or CTTE covers their whole time. What would be the point?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
Angelo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 16:47
True and true. This year, heck, the past two months only, I learned about Cailyn Lloyd, Minstrel's Ghost, Edison's Children, Fossil Evolution, UPF, Silhouette, all from present date, but also about David Bowie and Isopoda from the 70's - and I rediscovered my The Mars Volta album from 2005 as recent as yesterday evening. Taking it all in as well....
ISKC Rock Radio
I stopped blogging and reviewing - so won't be handling requests. Promo's for ariplay can be sent to [email protected]
twosteves View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2014 at 18:48
any young person, mostly between 15 to 18-- I know who is interested in music---and plays an instrument,  has always been amazed by ---particularly Fragile or CTTE when I have played it for them---some have continued their quest for prog---
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>