Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMeet The Residents: The Residents

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Meet The Residents: The Residents
    Posted: February 07 2015 at 15:42
How does The Residents's crazed, concrete-esque debut effort hold up? How does it compare to its follow-up? And just who the heck was N. Senada???

As for this firestarter, all I can say is good job Thumbs Up.
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 18:13
I'm enjoying these recent threads about particular albums. As for this one it gets the thumbs up from me. Nowadays I listen to Third Reich more so Meet the Residents is probably due for a listen from me soon. 

WATCH THAT INFANT TANGO
SEE THAT INFANT TANGO
ALL THAT INFANT TANGO IS A DANCE FOR YOU!
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 19:05
Compared to the so-called "Warner Brothers Album" and "Baby Sex", two officially unreleased albums preceding the proper debut of Meet The Residents, MTR is amazingly accomplished.  They achieved a fairly sophisticated avant garde form seemingly out of nowhere.  The album gets better with age, for me.  It's now possibly my favorite of their albums.  It was also the first one I bought, back when it first got reissued on vinyl (pre-CD).  It was a bit too strange for me back then.  I guess I wanted it to "rock" more, even though I supposedly knew what I was getting into when I bought it (or thought I did).  Later on, the CD Age brought us a nice compilation on Ryko called "Hell!" that eased me into the Residents' world more easily.  As for Meet the Residents nowadays,I can't even detect a single weak spot.  If anyone is still making albums that sound like this, I want to know.

Edited by HolyMoly - February 11 2015 at 19:07
My other avatar is a Porsche

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 19:47
Meet The Residents ...although very good, is not my favorite. I am more hung up on Not Available and Mark Of The Mole/Tunes Of Two Cities. There was an EP I owned in the 80's which featured a sick parody of "Old MacDonald"....(I think?), ...can't recall the title of the EP and can't locate it on a cd release either as bonus tracks or just the EP itself.
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2015 at 21:09
Originally posted by TODDLER TODDLER wrote:

Meet The Residents ...although very good, is not my favorite. I am more hung up on Not Available and Mark Of The Mole/Tunes Of Two Cities. There was an EP I owned in the 80's which featured a sick parody of "Old MacDonald"....(I think?), ...can't recall the title of the EP and can't locate it on a cd release either as bonus tracks or just the EP itself.
That's a good EP - you're thinking of "Goosebump", and the Old McDonald parody is actually titled "Farmers".  It was released on CD appended to the "Diskomo" EP (a dance remix of themes from the Eskimo album).

Not Available and Mark of the Mole are definitely in my top 5 Residents albums too.

It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle if it is lightly greased.

-Kehlog Albran
TODDLER View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 04:32
Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

That's a good EP - you're thinking of "Goosebump", and the Old McDonald parody is actually titled "Farmers".  It was released on CD appended to the "Diskomo" EP (a dance remix of themes from the Eskimo album).

Not Available and Mark of the Mole are definitely in my top 5 Residents albums too.

Is "Goosebump" on cd?
HolyMoly View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 12 2015 at 04:59

Originally posted by HolyMoly HolyMoly wrote:

Is "Goosebump" on cd?
Yes - the whole 4 song EP is on CD with the Diskomo single now.  Now called Diskomo 2000, I believe. 

-Kehlog Albran
 Post Reply Post Reply