Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSAMURAI OF PROG " THE IMPERIAL HOTEL"

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: SAMURAI OF PROG " THE IMPERIAL HOTEL"
    Posted: February 09 2015 at 14:44
The last release was incredible.
This latest could be a future classic.

Even so, I think they are at their best on non-lp tracks they laid down for various Colossus projects.

Imperial Hotel starts with the vocals more in the Starcastle (YES) realm.  The compositions are rich -  violin & some flute ,as well as the usual. On the long title track the vocalist seems to change.The Hammond in the middle part has me thinking , "Get 'em Out By Friday".

If I have any complaint, its maybe that its a bit too verbose.

The fault of most new bands is even though they are impressive in chops, they dont know how to compose good vocal-driven harmonies. The 70s vocal harmonies are memorable - the newer bands output generally are not. (Often vocal harmonies missing altogether - they have lost the art.).
The last track is a tapestry of complex vocals, directly recalling me the track "Great expectations" from Fireballet's second lp.

ALL OVER they reminded me of some Brit band - only I cant nail it!   Druid?   No - mebbe  methought Strange Days???
Then I look up the liner notes and, guess what, a member of England guests. And, yes, THAT'S what the melodies remind me of - the old "Garden Shed" lp.

Edited by jacksiedanny - February 09 2015 at 15:56
Gerinski View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 07:31
I didn't know the band and the band's name put me off, but after reading some very positive reviews I got it and I really like it, it's unashamedly retro-Prog but it's good, nice compositions with good melodies, harmonies and arrangements. Indeed the first tracks remind of Yes / Starcastle / Cathedral, while the suite sounds like Gabriel-era Genesis qith its theatrical mood. And yes, they have nice vocal harmonies (try Moon Safari's Blomljud if you like modern retro-Prog with that!) Thumbs Up
jacksiedanny View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2015 at 08:19
Yep - theatrical mood.
The title track is about a rundown Victorian hotel inhabited by ghosts (who dont seem to realize they are dead but just go on and on with  their pattern whilst alive.)
 Post Reply Post Reply