Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLive at the Rainbow '74: Queen

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Live at the Rainbow '74: Queen
    Posted: February 11 2015 at 14:35
Well, a few months have passed already since the release of this album and still there's only a handful of ratings and no reviews... So, what's your opinion? For me it's their best live. Why did they wait so long with this?! Clap
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 13 2015 at 11:34
No answers? Unhappy Maybe it's too early then...
"Music is much like f**king, but some composers can't climax and others climax too often, leaving themselves and the listener jaded and spent."

Charles Bukowski
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 15:41
Up!

Charles Bukowski
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 22:12
I'm afraid I can't help you, for I haven't heard this album. I have seen it in the music store for a few months already, but I haven't got too much into Queen and wasn't thinking about getting this one. I just have a greatest hits album, and I got some really nice songs from it, but the typical Queen song isn't my cup of tea. Then I thought that perhaps the well loved on this site, Queen II, might have a different quality to itself, and at some point gave many of it's songs a listen on YouTube, but none of it's songs didn't really grab me either, so I sort of gave up on getting more from them. The two songs that Dream Theater covered were rather nice, though, and perhaps I should get those ones by Queen themselves (that would mean getting ther Sheer Attack and Night at the Opera albums, though). Also, I have been wanting to get the Wembley live album for some time, but haven't gotten around to that.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 01:56
It was a legendary gig so I will probably eventually get it but at the moment there just seem to be so many prog releases I want to get first.
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 01 2016 at 21:31
Brilliant album. Listened to it a few times and as you said, probably their best live. Want to get the Blu-Ray.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 06 2016 at 03:35
It's a better album than "Live Killers" at showing how great they were live. 
Before their setlists became a collection of hit and minor hit singles, you can hear improvisations that blur the lines and add fuel to the fire of "Queen Should/Shouldn't Be In PA" threads!

But you can also hear from the sound quality how the band must of thought twice about releasing it even during their clueless mid-80's period.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 10 2016 at 16:08
Bought the 2CD deluxe box right when it came out and love it...worth every penny.  Amazing recording quality and performances.  You get live Ogre Battle (from 2 different tours) and See What a Fool I've Been...how amazing is that?  And I always rolled my eyes at anyone covering "Jailhouse Rock" but Freddy and the boys just destroy it.  If you think Queen's masterpiece was Queen II like me, this is an absolute must have Wink

Edited by The.Crimson.King - February 10 2016 at 16:13
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 11 2016 at 14:17
^ Thumbs Up A must-have indeed!!

And I notice that they released another one:

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/1755/cover_1829119122015_r.JPG

from 1975. How 'bout this?

Charles Bukowski
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 15 2016 at 19:29
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

^ Thumbs Up A must-have indeed!!

And I notice that they released another one:

http://www.progarchives.com/progressive_rock_discography_covers/1755/cover_1829119122015_r.JPG

from 1975. How 'bout this?

I was actually at the store the other day and both were there. I really wanted to buy them but they were both quite expensive and I barely had any money LOL

It was about time they started releasing live albums from that era.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 22 2016 at 04:02
I've not yet even heard the '75 one but the CDs of the Rainbow concert are fine. Yes, I am a Queen II fan and this follows that into this live album. Recommended for the prog side of Queen. The sheer versatility of their song writing was more prevalent from A  Night At The Opera onward but the ficus of a great hard rock / prog rock band is quite evident. They have fun with 50s rock and roll in 74 the way Rush have fun with their own material.

It's a concert, it's over forty years old but hey, if in 1974 someone put something out that was from 1934 or earlier would anyone have been into it? Maybe if it was Stravinsky I suppose...

uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2016 at 04:47
Well hot off the ears I can tell you all about the 75 one.

Well recorded, mastered, fine pwerformance but Queen have yet to scale the performance peek.

Spoiler about Bohemian Rhapsody..

It's the first bit only. Not even the tape voices. High Points are March Of The Black Queen, Keep Yourself Alive, Ogre Battle. Big Spender is amusing.

So it's high camp, pomp rock; it does have a lot of energy but it feels a bit short; a whole concert inside 80 minutes and including the wait for the encores. Everything is done so quickly, almost like the concert is a medley all the way through.

Fanatics will have it, general listeners will probably pick it up eventually.

Post Reply Post Reply