Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe 2000s: the second best decade for prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 16 2015 at 17:27
Originally posted by sublime220 sublime220 wrote:

Prog didn't go into hiding in the 80's, there was just new ideas that emerged that the public weren't interested in. I'd personally say that the 80's had very good music, but people just sort of brushed it off.
I haven't really been as impressed with the 10's as I was in the 00's but maybe I need to hear the latter half to make a full decision. 
1980's were predominantly  post-punk / new wave.
Who loved at that time to listening to post-punk / new wave as his/her favourite music genre, and enjoyed that '80s lifestyle ( actually characterized by search for a party and pleasure only ) that one can say now, with full self-respect, that it was a decade also magnificent as it was '60s and '70s  - or even more magnificent than '60s and '70s. 
But when an aged, hardcore progger talk now in superlatives about '80s, I'm affraid that is just romantized point of view of an old man or woman about his/her young age in general.
A quite different thing is with the kids, young prog artists, who can and should  take as much as they can of the best musical  things from that decade. 

Edited by Svetonio - February 16 2015 at 17:42
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 17 2015 at 01:48
The 80's was an interesting decade to find out who could kick against the trend for 'plastic' music in line with the culture. There were some gems from that decade and not much comfortably fitted within the 'prog' bracket. Propaganda - A Secret Wish is a good example. It had some sprinkling of prog magic but is mostly German industrial synth pop music , something that had a bit of revival at this time , thinking of Kraftwerk 'The Model' as one example. One of my favourite albums of that decade is somewhat overlooked Al Stewart - Last Days Of The Century but is it prog? probably not.

The 00's has seen a lot of bands that are influenced by prog and so either imitate it ( ie The Flower Kings , Spocks Beard , Glass Hammer etc) or create their own brew ( ie Radiohead , The Mars Volta and Muse) 
With this we have a much stronger connection with the seventies than we had in the 80's which was trying hard not be the 70's! In summation I would vote for the 00's but only because of the stylistic connection and sheer quantity available.

paganinio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 18 2015 at 03:08
1996-2005 is the best 10-year period for prog. Especially prog metal.  You got the heaviness (Opeth's Deliverance, DT's Train of Thought), diversity (Agalloch's The Mantle), religious (Orphaned Land), personal (Pain of Salvation), epic sci-fi (Ayreon, Arcturus), commercially successful and unconventional sound (two Tool albums), one really really kickass song (Riverside's Second Life SyndromeClap), talented musicians (Dan Swano, Steven Wilson), and technicality (three Rush tours!).  The strongest albums in prog history came out in those ten years. The second half of 2000s (06-09) really is much inferior.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 19 2015 at 17:39
Yes - it's a no brainer that it is.
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 01:40
Originally posted by Hercules Hercules wrote:

Yes - it's a no brainer that it is.

please now close the threadLOL
BrufordFreak View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 20 2015 at 09:16
IMO, 2007-2014 rivals 67-76--certainly in volume and the average of high quality material.
Drew Fisher
https://progisaliveandwell.blogspot.com/
zumacraig View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 21 2015 at 09:42
i've not read this thread, but i would say that the 00s are the second best decade for prog.  however, an argument can be made for mid-90s to '05 being the second best decade.  that's when spock's, flower kings and porcupine tree put out their initial masterpieces.
Stardust we are.
-Roine Stolt
earlyprog View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Neo / PSIKE / Heavy Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 27 2015 at 05:11
About a year ago (see http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=95494&KW=) I made an analysis of the number of albums gathering a rating (QWR) of at least 4 in the period 1970 to primo 2014, cf. the chart below.

As seen, 2000 up to 2008 indeed indicates that the 2000's was the second or perhaps even the best decade for prog as per the average PA reviewer . However, ratings dropped dramatically in 2008 (year of financial meltdown).

Also, personally I find the 2000's to be the second best decade for prog, although there are individual albums scattered out over the years between the 70's and the 00's that are of very high quality.

Edited by earlyprog - February 27 2015 at 05:20
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 30 2015 at 16:53
In answer to the thread title question: Yes, with the 70s as the third best decade. I think the 2010s are the best decade for prog.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12