Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRush; May 14th 2015, St. Louis.

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rush; May 14th 2015, St. Louis.
    Posted: May 15 2015 at 00:48
Went with my uncle, cousin, parents and brother. Was at Scottstrade Center. Bought a rad R40 baseball jersey at the merch stand.
We had some pretty decent seats. We were pretty far up by near the stage close to Geddy. Not ideal but not bad. This did bother me for the first handful of songs; I kept focusing on the negatives (venue's too big and impersonal for my standards, they don't improvise enough, etc.) but then I realized how ridiculous I was being. Rush is my favorite band and I should sit back, relax, and enjoy, instead of worrying if it's going to live up to my expectations. And when I did that I got wrapped up in the show. The boys delivered an awesome two set (plus encore) show with lots of fan favorites and a few deep cuts (Jacob's Ladder, What You're Doing) with Rush's trademark virtuosity with minimal mistakes and a good amount of energy. Being an anniversary tour, and possibly their last, R40 is set up like a walk back in time. Starting with a few tracks from the recent Clockwork Angels, they slowly played their way back into their catalog until they finished with Working Man (and an excerpt from the unreleased debut album outtake Garden Road), all the while roadies in jumpsuits took away the steampunk stage paraphernalia from the last two tours and replaced them with washing machines (2000s tours), then stacks of amps (for show, of course), then broken down to just a few amps on chairs and a discoball, just like the 70s highschool gymnasiums they used to play would have (only bigger). They did gloss over the 90s and 80s material but if you saw the last tour you'll have gotten your fill on that material. They also had the standard comedic videos, admittedly cheesy video effects, and laser lights. Neil's drum set was also notably small(er), with no electronics, just an acoustic glockenspiel and some bells.
Overall it was an amazing concert and I had a wonderful time. If this is the last time I see my favorite band then it will be a good show to end off with. Bravo boys, thank you so much :)
 Post Reply Post Reply