Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Why so few American bands in 70's prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 11:16
Hi,

The Europeans invented the world when it was flat ... and they killed for it. The US didn't stand a chance, because they are ... it was no different in South America or Central America, or North America!!!

Censored
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 11:49
A couple months in rehab and still unintelligible.

As far as American bands and the lack of prog, it's a matter of references. The U.S. did not have a cultural aptitude for classicism stretching back 500 or 600 years to Gregorian chants in the Middle Ages. The primary frame of reference for U.S. rock musicians in the 60s and early 70s was blues, jazz, American folk and country/bluegrass influences; hence Dylan, CSN and the Byrds, The Band and Creedence Clearwater Revival, Frank Zappa and Captain Beefheart, or The Doors and Hendrix.

No need for further exposition and hand-wringing.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 12:29
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

As already mentioned, very influential avant bands/artists are from America. America also had a strong jazz rock scene in the 70s. It is symph prog that was weak in America. Perhaps the particular blend of classical influences with a more pastoral, folky kind of rock/pop could not have happened in America and what bands did pick up the thread from the European scene were condemned to be me-toos at best. Prog metal embraced the epic format and the most influential prog metal band is American.
Folky music did happen at that time in America. I'm thinking specifically of Shawn Phillips who had a voice that could challenge Annie Haslam's. We don't call Shawn Phillips Progressive Rock because his Rock side was lacking. I was at a couple Shawn Phillips concerts later in the 80s and he had a few classical orchestral pieces he had composed on his Synclavier and played for us. I think the elements for Symph Prog and Prog Folk were there, but never came together the right way as they did in England. I agree, the US was very strong with Jazz Fusion. That did come together.

Edited by HackettFan - June 26 2015 at 12:31
Toaster Mantis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Toaster Mantis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 14:11
Slightly off-topic, has anyone else experienced that people who have their music listening background in classical and jazz (rather than rock) often like Captain Beefheart and Frank Zappa but not British progressive rock except its most avantgarde practitioners? (Henry Cow etc)
"The past is not some static being, it is not a previous present, nor a present that has passed away; the past has its own dynamic being which is constantly renewed and renewing." - Claire Colebrook
t d wombat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 18:50
I agree regarding Jazz but not so much re Classical. My earliest exposure was to Classical and for me that leads to an appreciation of the likes of e.g Genesis/Yes/Floyd. Took me a bit longer to get into Jazzier styles (Gentle Giant e.g.) and even now my tastes in Jazz run more towards the likes of Keith Jarrett rather than say the likes of Weather Report.  Of course one cannot underestimate the virtuosity of someone like Zappa but that's not the question.
Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 19:31
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

As already mentioned, very influential avant bands/artists are from America. America also had a strong jazz rock scene in the 70s. It is symph prog that was weak in America. Perhaps the particular blend of classical influences with a more pastoral, folky kind of rock/pop could not have happened in America and what bands did pick up the thread from the European scene were condemned to be me-toos at best. Prog metal embraced the epic format and the most influential prog metal band is American.
Folky music did happen at that time in America. I'm thinking specifically of Shawn Phillips who had a voice that could challenge Annie Haslam's. We don't call Shawn Phillips Progressive Rock because his Rock side was lacking. I was at a couple Shawn Phillips concerts later in the 80s and he had a few classical orchestral pieces he had composed on his Synclavier and played for us. I think the elements for Symph Prog and Prog Folk were there, but never came together the right way as they did in England. I agree, the US was very strong with Jazz Fusion. That did come together.

Actually, come to think of it, even Tim Buckley was doing a kind of expansive folk-rock in the late 60s.  Another amazing voice.  But none of these artists seems to have put together a band with top notch musicians contributing substantially on the composition side (as supposed to merely executing what the songwriter desires).  Something like Genesis or Yes.  

P.S:  Never knew of Shawn Philips before this.  Thanks much.
Rick Robson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rick Robson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 19:46
Originally posted by t d wombat t d wombat wrote:

I agree regarding Jazz but not so much re Classical. My earliest exposure was to Classical and for me that leads to an appreciation of the likes of e.g Genesis/Yes/Floyd. Took me a bit longer to get into Jazzier styles (Gentle Giant e.g.) and even now my tastes in Jazz run more towards the likes of Keith Jarrett rather than say the likes of Weather Report.  Of course one cannot underestimate the virtuosity of someone like Zappa but that's not the question.

Interesting your thoughts indeed. My earliest exposure was to Classical too, my interest for the Jazzier music began to grow only after being a member here, but I still keep having difficulty to grab their feelings, perhaps due to their complexity, the fact is that it pushes me off a bit after a while. I liked Jarret's The Koln Concert though, btw he has gone also into some Classical incursions through his incredibly long career, still today he keeps making big concerts.

It's the first time I read in PA's that Gentle Giant have a jazzier style, never dug into their music, so their better album to begin with is 'Acquiring The Taste' LOL

"Music is a higher revelation than all wisdom and philosophy." LvB
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 20:26
Originally posted by Rick Robson Rick Robson wrote:

Interesting your thoughts indeed. My earliest exposure was to Classical too, my interest for the Jazzier music began to grow only after being a member here, but I still keep having difficulty to grab their feelings, perhaps due to their complexity, the fact is that it pushes me off a bit after a while. I liked Jarret's The Koln Concert though, btw he has gone also into some Classical incursions through his incredibly long career, still today he keeps making big concerts.

It's the first time I read in PA's that Gentle Giant have a jazzier style, never dug into their music, so their better album to begin with is 'Acquiring The Taste' LOL

Ah .... maybe its just me but I hear jazz free form elements in what GG I have listened to. I am not a huge fan so maybe I do need to listen to "Acquiring the Taste" Tongue   We have two choices here ... either I am not very good with labels or I am talking through my arse. I think I might hide behind the vagueness of jazzIER, bit more freeform, less melodic, in the way jazz experimentalists have. I guess what I was driving at was that GG's stuff (that I know) doesn't have a particularly smooth even flow. That's not necessarily a negative of course, indeed with what GG I do know it adds great interest and depth though not necessarily my speed.

Speaking of Jarrett I was thinking of his concert work such as Koln. Magnificent album. It is one of the problems with discussing artists when you have been listening to them for nigh on 50 years. After all how can I say I love Genesis and leave it at that ? The folk who love Invisible Touch are in a whole different world to an old fart like me who found them with Selling England and dropped away after Duke.

Listening to Turning Around live at the moment and I'm beginning to come around to the "talking through my arse" possibility.

Andrew B

“Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.” ― Julius Henry Marx
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 20:34

Wonderful artist. Did a trio of albums in the early 70s with Paul Buckmaster and Peter Robinson ; Contribution, 2nd Contribution and Collaboration. Followed those up with Faces. Maybe a bit dated, maybe at times a bit hippy dippy but at his best, stunning. I don't know much of his later work. 
Andrew B

rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 22:00
GG use freeform in only a very calculated way when they do.  Everything about GG is very calculated and deliberate even if it may sound very weird and throw off listeners the first time (first few times?) around.  Not jazz at all in that sense.  Having said that, they do lean more towards jazz rock/funk on parts of Free Hand, but again only borrowing some stylistic elements and avoiding improvisation.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 22:03

Actually, come to think of it, even Tim Buckley was doing a kind of expansive folk-rock in the late 60s.  Another amazing voice.  But none of these artists seems to have put together a band with top notch musicians contributing substantially on the composition side (as supposed to merely executing what the songwriter desires).  Something like Genesis or Yes.  

No, thank you. I didn't know about Tim Buckley.
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 22:08
Originally posted by ClemofNazareth ClemofNazareth wrote:

Pretty sure what happened was that America created the blues, jazz, R&B, bluegrass, country and psych, and while we were resting on the seventh day the Brits came up with prog.

Big smile

lol true, but hahahahaha awwww ClapHug lol so cute awww for the cutest fufufucute avatar pic Big smile big hug to you, ClemofNazarethHug
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 22:10
No argument there RogerT. Lets face it, some of the most anarchic freeform sounding music in any genre is very much deliberate not by note. Steve Howes intro to Close to the Edge is a good example. First time I heard it my reaction was WTF ?? Just kept on getting better from there on in.
Andrew B

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kati Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 22:15
Zappa is American tho' :) he was/ is awesome ApproveThumbs Up Progressive music did originate from the UK tho' :) xxx

Edited by Kati - June 26 2015 at 22:17
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 22:15

No argument there RogerT. Lets face it, some of the most anarchic freeform sounding music in any genre is very much deliberate not by note. Steve Howes intro to Close to the Edge is a good example. First time I heard it my reaction was WTF ?? Just kept on getting better from there on in.

Hmm, from that point of view...I would consider that CTTE intro pretty conventional compared to GG.  Perhaps you are somewhere equating dissonance to free form?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote t d wombat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 26 2015 at 22:27
Indeed he was Kati, indeed he was.

Over the past few days I've been listening/watching a few interviews with various prog luminaries plus the BB King tribute doco. It is quite amazing how many of these people's earliest musical love was The Blues. Also pretty remarkable the debt American Blues players owe to the Brits circa early Stones, John Mayall, Yardbirds etc.
Andrew B

Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 02:03

(...)
Actually, I can understand when someone has an anglocentric taste, it's not so rarely, but I can't understand that a PA collaborator could forget that top notch American band called OREGON who released THE debut album in 1971 and who blended Classical music, Indian music, Spanish music, Fusion, Avant-Garde, Space; that's a band which music was so complex that the progressive listeners in 70s actually didn't knew how to labeled that music and OREGON were very often labeled in 70s as Neo-Classical aswell (it was long before "World music" the term was invented), and yet their fantastic and 'pastoral' instrumental music has a similar atmosphere as some of the best tunes of that English Symphonic rock, which, although some of it is very popular, it is still to be just one of many sub-genres / styles of the Progressive rock as a genre that was actaully invented in America by Mothers of Invention with Freak Out! the album which is in fact the very first Progresive rock album ever recorded.
With the bands like the Mothers of Invention and Oregon, America don't really needed some more of U.S. version of English Symphonic rock music than American proggers actually had it with such a great band as KANSAS aswell.

Dig it, collab!

Edited by Svetonio - June 27 2015 at 02:48
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rogerthat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 02:07
Congrats on missing the point yet again.  Now what year did you say this album was? 1971.  That's right.  By which time, Yes had released Yes Album, Genesis Nursery Cryme and ELP Tarkus.  Do you get the drift?  The three bigwigs of symph prog were already well established at this point.  If you have to name ANY American band from the 70s making symph prog, there are plenty.  But there were no first movers in that genre from America.  I am really sorry you have such a tremendous chip on your shoulder at your age but there's no way I can help you.  
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Svetonio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 02:38

Congrats on missing the point yet again.  Now what year did you say this album was? 1971.  That's right.  By which time, Yes had released Yes Album, Genesis Nursery Cryme and ELP Tarkus.  Do you get the drift?  The three bigwigs of symph prog were already well established at this point.  If you have to name ANY American band blah blah blah 
Oh sorry, I made the lapse in my previous post: Oregon were founded in 1971 and the debut album Music of Another Present Era was relesead in 1972, if we don't count Our First Record  recorded in 1970 and released in 1980.
And imagine what? It's nothing less complex, it's nothing less top of notch PROGRESSIVE album than any album by your favourite bands of English Symphonic rock! However, Music of Another Present Era is  without any pop adorment what all that Symphonic rock (whatever it was / is English, Italian or American) have to have that to be popular as it really is.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote verslibre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 27 2015 at 02:39
What about Touch? Their album came out in 1968.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 11>