Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Why did Roger Waters never get beyond The Wall?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy did Roger Waters never get beyond The Wall?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 10:18
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

^ Gilmour's next album was scheduled for end of September according to Polly Samson.

Gilmour's tour starts in Croatia september 12, so the album will probably be out by then.

I have tickets to the Royal Albert Hall the 24:th. Yay!!!!Smile

Gentle Yes View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 12:37
Well first of all I think we can agree that The wall was the peak of Waters' lyricism and creativity. (musically i'd rather say it was DSOTM) . Second of all, i'm preety sure that Waters was the brains behind Floyd without showing it. I think that when he left , Pink Floyd contined selling that much because of the name they had already built as PF and of course because of Gilmour, I mean you can clearly see the difference in songwriting on Division Bell, you hear Gilmour and not Waters..at all.. it was something different and was well perceived by the audience whereas Waters' solo career was just not that well accepted... it may be that simple :)
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2015 at 16:27
He ran out of decent ideas.......?
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 16 2015 at 08:34

Originally posted by lazland lazland wrote:

I know I am in a minority, but I regard Waters' best work as being post-Floyd, namely Amused To Death.

I tend to not look at Roger, singled out, any more than I do any of the other members of the group. They are/were all very good, given the personality differences, and I'm not sure that criticizing Roger's opinionated nature is a good reason to criticize a work, when most works of art in the 20th century have all had their own way, in this area. Criticism and opinion has always been a part of art ... like saying that a Delacroix, or Goya or many other romantic painters, for example, did not have any "ideas" in their work. My favorite example was the Goya painting that Luis Bunuel memorialized in "The Phantom of Liberty", when the character screamed "freedom" before he was shot!

I tend to think that as a society, we're starting to be critical of people that have opinions, because we can not articulate, or agree, on anything ... and this board's comments are the perfect example, of some of the things that hurt the arts the most. We're here to uphold "one" art, but we spend time criticizing it. I do not find that very "progressive" as an attitude, or appreciation for the music.

Roger, in my book, is a part of an artist in the 20th century, called "Pink Floyd" ... and as such is a part of my admiration for the century's exciting and important artistic ideas, that happened to involve many of us!

Edited by moshkito - July 16 2015 at 08:44
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 18 2015 at 22:41
Right on, mosh.  The Floyd after Syd were a group and the music reflected that....it started to go south when that Roger and Rick magic peaked on Dark Side.  Wish and Animals were great albums but, to me, some of Rick's parts drag a bit, especially on Animals - like Roger said, if Rick had brought some of that stuff he saved for those solo records that nobody listened to, thing might have been different. 

Roger's solo stuff began with the Wall and everything after sounds in that same vein - nice stuff but no spacy Rick, no Gilmore gravy on top of everything and no heartbeat Nick.....and everything from the Wall to Amused suffers greatly because of these holes.  Clapton, Beck et al bring KAOS and Amused to life a bit but not nearly enough to make me return to either record very often.  Pros and Cons is a great idea....wish Floyd had chosen that and left the Wall for later. 

What must grate Roger even more than the Floyd case is that, solowise, Gilmore is just hitting his prime at his advanced age - he always was a spacy, slow motion bluesy guitarist.  His newer solo stuff is full of groovy atmospheric playing, perfect for those Floyd fans from the early days who are now pushing 70.  Somnambulant - should be a new genre on PA. 

I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 02:56
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Right on, mosh.  The Floyd after Syd were a group and the music reflected that....it started to go south when that Roger and Rick magic peaked on Dark Side.  Wish and Animals were great albums but, to me, some of Rick's parts drag a bit, especially on Animals - like Roger said, if Rick had brought some of that stuff he saved for those solo records that nobody listened to, thing might have been different.  

Did Waters actually say that ??
I have for the better part on the last 3.5 decades, but I've never actually read that anywhere that he stated so as well. And he might have thought the same of Gilmour in that case.

Roger's solo stuff began with the Wall and everything after sounds in that same vein - nice stuff but no spacy Rick, no Gilmore gravy on top of everything and no heartbeat Nick.....and everything from the Wall to Amused suffers greatly because of these holes.  Clapton, Beck et al bring KAOS and Amused to life  >>> LOL Gooood one!!! a bit but not nearly enough to make me return to either record very often.  Pros and Cons is a great idea....wish Floyd had chosen that and left the Wall for later.  

Well, TFC is so different because it goes back to oragn & piano (no synths we'd gotten so used to since DSOTM)

Yes, P&C is a great idea (I'd also have loved to have the full Floyd doing it), but I can undertsand that the choice between that and The Wall , they chose what they did.

OK, what must be said, is that despite the fact that Gilmour & Wright didn't propose anything worthy, Waters came with these huge blocks, where there wasn't that much space for the others. Sure, Gilmour gets 4 credits (and not the least songs either) on The Wall, but  imagine how so much better it would've been if if Wright had had the same amount.

What must grate Roger even more than the Floyd case is that, solowise, Gilmore is just hitting his prime at his advanced age - he always was a spacy, slow motion bluesy guitarist.  His newer solo stuff is full of groovy atmospheric playing, perfect for those Floyd fans from the early days who are now pushing 70.  Somnambulant - should be a new genre on PA.   

You've got to be kidding!!!DeadConfusedOuch
On An Island is a total bore and if you've heard the future single (Rattle That Lock)? It sounds like it is a leftover from About Face, with bad 80's production values to boot.Thumbs Down TBH, I'm not impressed much with Gilmour songwriting abilities without the help of both Wright (for the arrangements) & Waters  (for lyrics)

Ever since that "Waters left Floyd" thing, Gilmour has only written one really good song (High Hopes) that didn't sound like it was derivative of old Floyd tunes, such as Cluster One or Signs Of Life - who both sounds erected from Shine On You CD. I was not impressed with About Face at all, and only half of the songs on his debut album are good or really good; while I like that DG77 album, it's clear that it's lacking something... something I don't find lacking in Wright's Wet Dream album of that same era (even if it sounds like an APP album)

Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 18:51
Wright's solo stuff is at least interesting, especially Wet Dreams (Mel Collins!), but like the first Gilmore solo record it is missing something.....but that could be said of all Floyd solo albums, including the Final Cut (that second side could use a bit of "music"). 

Gilmore has never sold more.....Island was a #1 record all over Europe and hit top 5 in the US.  While I think it's a bot of a snooze and feeds those Floyd fans who've hit a certain age (thus the Somnambulant prog jab), you cannot argue its success....or that Dave hasn't given up his signature bluesy spacy style.  Even the Gdansk cd/dvd package sold a ton, something Roger has failed to do despite releasing albums full of intriguing idea, if not intriguing music.  I know people who put Island on as background music and play it all day long; I know others - married folks - whose non-prog fan wives actually love the album, so it becomes de facto listening for the couple.  This must grate at Roger - Dave is selling by releasing by-the-numbers guitar albums (not bad stuff, just lifeless), and Roger is still pushing forward.....I sat with a friend thru the first part of his opera and....meh, just as lifeless as Island but at least he Floydian sound effects wake you up once in a while. 

Edited by Intruder - July 19 2015 at 19:05
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 18:56
There's an Uncut magazine with Roger from 2000 where he made that remark about Wright's solo stuff.  There was some great stuff on Wet Dreams - even Snowy White doing his best Gilmore.  Waters felt if he'd brought some of that music to the Floyd, then things would've been different. 

Gilmore's About Face has a few great moments.....even a radio "hit", but the whole thing sounds like he's trying too hard for airplay.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 19:55
Nothing wrong with About Face as far as I'm concerned : a good record from a great guitarist. What were you expecting, a Floyd record?
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 20:54
^Thumbs Up

I would say there is nothing wrong with it but not as good as his debut. Mind you the 80's was a challenge for these guys with all the synths and mullet hair do's.
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 21:57

There's an Uncut magazine with Roger from 2000 where he made that remark about Wright's solo stuff.  There was some great stuff on Wet Dreams - even Snowy White doing his best Gilmore.  Waters felt if he'd brought some of that music to the Floyd, then things would've been different. 

Gilmore's About Face has a few great moments.....even a radio "hit", but the whole thing sounds like he's trying too hard for airplay.

I never knew Waters had those opinions about Wright... and that puts his grudge against Wright in a slightly better light for me. At least I do agree with him in this matter. I used to think it was Waters who wanted to take control of the band and the writing of the music, even though I did read about him complaining that Wright and Gilmour were not contributing enough. Now, even though I do find Wet Dream an enjoyable album, indeed if Wright had offered the music for Floyd, and it was used in The Wall, this album might have ended up being a really wonderful record... for I do feel that it lacks something... and that something is exactly more Wright (and even some more Gilmour).
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 22:04
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I never knew Waters had those opinions about Wright... and that puts his grudge against Wright in a slightly better light for me. At least I do agree with him in this matter. I used to think it was Waters who wanted to take control of the band and the writing of the music, even though I did read about him complaining that Wright and Gilmour were not contributing enough. Now, even though I do find Wet Dream an enjoyable album, indeed if Wright had offered the music for Floyd, and it was used in The Wall, this album might have ended up being a really wonderful record... for I do feel that it lacks something... and that something is exactly more Wright (and even some more Gilmour).

And this is a well known fact LOL:
Roger Waters fired Richard Wright during the sessions for 1979's 'The Wall,' but then brought him back as a contract-labor sideman for the subsequent, money-losing tour. That made Wright the only member of Pink Floyd not to lose money on the tour. He wouldn't become a full-time member of the group again until 1994's 'The Division Bell.'
Big smile
Hug

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 22:08
No one in their serious mind can believe that Gilmour's new album is better than anything Waters made after he left PF, seriously Stern Smile
Welcome to the bad 80's here: David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock (Audio) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHP7l0EaouM
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 22:11
My final verdict is no Floyd is better without either Waters or Gilmour.  Approve
They are like Lennon and McCartney Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 22:17
Everyone thinks problems between Roger Waters and David Gilmour surfaced around 'The Wall.' In truth, friction already existed during the run-up to 1969's 'Ummagumma.' Each member had been tasked with constructing a solo contribution. When Gilmour asked Waters for some lyrical help, his response was a simple "no."
hahahaha!!! LOL Waters is very naughty lol
Chris S View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 23:33

IMO The Wall lacks nothing :-)
<font color=Brown>Music - The Sound Librarian

...As I venture through the slipstream, between the viaducts in your dreams...[/COLOR]
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 19 2015 at 23:39
Originally posted by Chris S Chris S wrote:

IMO The Wall lacks nothing :-)
ditto Chris, Hug it lacks nothing! Smile more Hugto you!
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 00:29
Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

No one in their serious mind can believe that Gilmour's new album is better than anything Waters made after he left PF, seriously Stern Smile
Welcome to the bad 80's here: David Gilmour - Rattle That Lock (Audio) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eHP7l0EaouM

I won't listen to this track until I buy the record and I'll take About Face over Radio Kaos any day.

Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 00:31
Originally posted by Barbu Barbu wrote:

Originally posted by Kati Kati wrote:

I won't listen to this track until I buy the record and I'll take About Face over Radio Kaos any day.

hahahahaha!!! Barbu LOL you killed me right now hahahaha!!!! I am laughing here so much haha!!
hugs Hug
Kati View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 20 2015 at 00:44
I have to admit that Roger Waters - Home Album: Radio Kaos 1987 is just too awful for me to listen. Damn I forgot about that, Barbu! To be honest even atleast YMCA atleast had a rhythm tune lol bah I want to forget that part of Waters, everything on and about that track is awful bah Ouch
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>