Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Live Performance Reviews
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Manuel Göttsching - Supersense, Melbourne 7/8/2015
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedManuel Göttsching - Supersense, Melbourne 7/8/2015

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Manuel Göttsching - Supersense, Melbourne 7/8/2015
    Posted: August 07 2015 at 20:11
Manuel Göttsching - Melbourne Supersense Festival, August 7th 2015, Australia

SUPERSENSE, a three day `festival of the ecstatic' is currently running in Melbourne, Australia from the 7-9 August 2015. A mix of ethnic, ambient and experimental music, the show also claims pop up vocal improvisers, dance theater, alt-rock acts, sensory experiments and electronic drone artists.

The fiercely confronting and deeply fascinating Indonesian Kuda Lumping trance performance was intense, a three hour ritual dance ceremony where the audience was bombarded with a frenzy of pounding ethnic percussion from 20 different musicians, seemingly possessed performers and disorientating strobe lighting. The room was initially packed, but as the show grew more violent and shocking (performers chewing on glass and rolling around on it, being whipped, slapped, shaken violently and seemingly being exorcised of demons), at least half the crowd took off. I'm sure no-one in the room had ever experienced anything like it!

But the real reason many were there - the first Australian performance of a legendary Krautrock/ambient music icon!

Ashra/Ash Ra Tempel guitarist Manuel Göttsching put on an amazing show last night in rainy Melbourne, a sublime mix of ambient dreamy atmospheres and modern dance/trance elements.

He performed lengthy and radically reworked versions of `Sunrain' and `Deep Distance' off one of my favourite albums `New Age of Earth', as well as new interpretations of `Shuttlecocks' off `Blackouts' and a more recent composition.

I was able to get three LP's signed as well, very happy!

All in all, the first night of the festival was an amazing experience!

Michael H.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - August 09 2015 at 21:19
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 05:13
It must have been incredible. He was probably really busy alone onstage Tongue
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 05:46
That sounds really cool, Michael. I'm only familiar with Göttsching through Ashra's New Age of Earth album, but I can imagine seing him live being quite the experience.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 05:48
f**k me - I never knew of this........... I would've flown down for the weekend for this
Mike, you lucky devil.....
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 08 2015 at 16:51
Just wow! A legend if there ever was one.
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
stratcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 04:15
Indeed, the whole night was quite an experience for the senses. Being on the main stage of the arts center was an experience in itself.
The night started off with the Indonesian Kuda Lumping trance performance, which we chanced upon (and stayed all the way through). 
At first it was quite straight laced, with the band playing their mostly ancient instruments very well coupled with some male and female vocals. 
After that, there was what seemed to be an opening ceremony in Indonesian with joss sticks being burned and prayers being recited.
Once complete the interpretative dancing began , it's goal (with the aid of the music and incense I guess) was to put the performer into a trance like state where they could be inhabited by their ancestors or alter their state of consciousness. 
The costumes, props, make up and lights helped keep the crowd mesmerized.
As the performance progressed, the act became more frenzied with feats of strength / endurance and the like began being performed (as seen in some of Aussie Byrd Brothers pics) interspersed between the dancing either in character or with . 
Razor blades were consumed, coupled with hot chilies, fluorescent tubes and joss sticks (not necessarily in that order ;), 
Boards and bricks were broken using different limbs and broken glass was walked and rolled over all with seemingly little or no harm being done to the performer. 
Care was taken that none of the audience could be harmed while the people were in their trance with members of the team being ready to guide them back to the arena, or release them from their altered state of consciousnesses if needed.
At the end of the night they brought out food and welcomed the audience to feast with them upon some prop horses. 

After the break, we were treated to the great Manuel Göttsching
A perfect gentlemen and musician. He appeared to be relishing his time with his fans down under. 
It was wonderful to see him layer the keys and guitars up close.
He was able to get such a beautiful tone out his Gibson and it was very interesting to see him using a what appeared to be a block of metal to distort the pickups. 

A fantastic performance. I wish I had the cash to see him on the Saturday as well when he performed as part of the Legendary Ashra Temple.

P.S. Pitty you missed it Tom Ozric.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 04:53
Awesome write up, Strat! Pleasure being there with you, mate!

Hmmm....looking back at those photos, I'm pretty sure I used one of the Manuel G ones twice!

Edit function, here I come!
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 09 2015 at 21:24
OK, some new photos, courtesy of my mate Harry (aka Archives member Stratcat):

stratcat View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 08:03
Thanks for putting them up Aussie Byrd Brother:)
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 10 2015 at 12:28
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
WHY WASN'T I THERE?????AngryAngryDeadLOLLOL
For Feck sake... I am infinitely jealous Michael....((and damn those pictures make it even worse! The setting seems so right for some reason. I wish I could have experienced it first hand).
Thank's for (rubbing it in my face) sharing thoughTongue

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply