Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAdrian Belew

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 12:23
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Someone mentioned above that Fripp 'fired' him...was that due to artistic differences or did Fripp just want more of the retro sound that Jako can bring?

My main problem with Belew, which isn't really a problem, is that the KC sound changed radically after the Wetton period which probably (or may have) had more to do with Fripp than anything else.
While Belew is a talented player I simply don't care for his style of playing nor the songs he writes...for the most part.

The KC sound also changed radically between the inital lineups and the Wetton era, but folks don't ever seem to complain about that.

I think the whole belew 'controversy' is kind of weird and fascinating

I think KC is one of the most 'progressive' groups out there, because they refused to rest on their laurels much of the time, and kept forcing change.  But, change is not always liked by all people, naturally enough, and this leads to the ironic situation of fans of progressive music wishing a band would stay static.  And yes, that raises the whole 'what does progressive mean' foofaraw, but perhaps best not to go down that rabiit hole.
Svetonio View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 12:29
I like Discipline era very much, therefore I like Adrian Belew.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 12:58
Originally posted by Gully Foyle Gully Foyle wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Someone mentioned above that Fripp 'fired' him...was that due to artistic differences or did Fripp just want more of the retro sound that Jako can bring?

My main problem with Belew, which isn't really a problem, is that the KC sound changed radically after the Wetton period which probably (or may have) had more to do with Fripp than anything else.
While Belew is a talented player I simply don't care for his style of playing nor the songs he writes...for the most part.

The KC sound also changed radically between the inital lineups and the Wetton era, but folks don't ever seem to complain about that.

I think the whole belew 'controversy' is kind of weird and fascinating

I think KC is one of the most 'progressive' groups out there, because they refused to rest on their laurels much of the time, and kept forcing change.  But, change is not always liked by all people, naturally enough, and this leads to the ironic situation of fans of progressive music wishing a band would stay static.  And yes, that raises the whole 'what does progressive mean' foofaraw, but perhaps best not to go down that rabiit hole.

Good points...and you are right. No one complains as much about the stylistic changes from the first 2 or 3 and then the Wetton period.
And then we are back to what does progression or progressive mean?
I simply don't care for the 'style' that Belew brings to the song structures but he is certainly a talented player.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 16:07
Belew dreamed to be Lennon or Mac Carntey.  He would have really wanted to make a hit, but as he said in an old interview : "I shall never belong to Radioland". 

Ah when fingers do not obey the head !

cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2015 at 20:35
Belew wrote about being "Fired" by Fripp on his Facebook page:

questions and answers.

q: are you in the new King Crimson planned for next september 2014?

a: no. after 32 years I am no longer in King Crimson.

q: were you asked to be in the new King Crimson?

a: no, I was not. robert informed me in an email that he was starting a 7-piece version of the band. he said I would not be right for what the band is doing.

q: so, how do you feel?

a: "happy with what I have to be happy with". which is quite a lot. 

I'm busy creating something I've wanted to create all my life, something which has never been done. FLUX: never the same twice. creatively I'm exploding with new ideas, songs, and music. in 60 days I'll be touring south america with my beloved Power Trio and next spring I'll be touring europe with Crimson Project, which is a celebration of the crimson music  
tony, pat, and I have help create. life is great. 

q: what would you like to say to crimson fans about the new King Crimson?

a: my advice is to check it out and if you like it: support it.
and on that note: thanks to all of you for your continued support of my music.
cheers!

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 14 2015 at 22:49
I've always found Belew's eccentricities he brought to KC the 'wild card' Fripp needed to carry the band into the 80's. Just perfect - the guy could play, sing, and just infuse the whole package with lots of character. Things like Indiscipline, Elephant Talk, Neurotica and Dig Me are more Belew than Fripp. Priceless
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12