Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPertinent views or personal views?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pertinent views or personal views?
    Posted: June 21 2004 at 20:38

OK, this is gonna be a tricky thread if it heats up. I am just a bit concerned about some things that have been expressed in some reviews I've read lately (two of which are in the following quote):

Peter Rideout, in his review of DT's "Scenes (etc.)":

What really stops me from giving this concept album a higher rating, is, as with Marillion's BRAVE (see my review), the theme of its lyrics. The story centers around a murder-suicide, and the motif is made more "real" with the disturbing sounds of gunshots and the screams of the young female victim. I know that modern American society is very troubled with gun-related violence, and I can turn to American TV news or magazines any time I feel the need to "get my fill" of such depressing, tragic gore. I don't need, or want, to hear this stuff set to music as well! As with BRAVE's suicide theme, I find the concept of "SCENES" to be simply unworthy of my time, and certainly not something that I want to subject my wife or children to. I believe that there is a fine line -- perhaps crossed here -- between examining violence, and obsessing upon and/or "celebrating" it. Furthermore (as a former highschool teacher), I sincerely question the ability of many younger listeners to differentiate between the two.

he summarizes this point in the next parargraph: "Overall, I greatly prefer to be uplifted and/or moved by my music collection, instead of being "brought down" by it."

With all due respect, I have serious doubts as to the usefulness of these statements in a review of music, unless it be for a 'parents watchdog'-type publication.

A long-standing debate in the history of aesthetics revolves around what constitutes artistic beauty; certainly a pretty picture of a pretty house is pleasant to look at, but if it is done poorly is obviously inferior to a talented artist's rendering of, for instance, a building destroyed by fire. Music in general has a long tradition of storytelling, and progressive rock specifically tends to revolve around a narrative...and a compelling story is always preferable to a lackluster tale.

I don't think there's much doubt that the majority of fans of progressive rock are people who are not generally satisfied by music that is 'easy on the ears'. In fact, it's not a stretch to assert that prog people are specifically looking for more artistic and creative expression, and as such are willing to be 'challenged' by a piece of music. Unfortunately, as in any genre-specific group, there are still a surprising number of folks who are not receptive to elements that fall outside the usual attributes of the music. With prog, the fantasy, mystical, and sci-fi themes in the lyrics are common ground, but we are also pretty used to hearing lyrics concerning more prosaic human emotions- love songs, of course, but also themes of alienation, lust, frustration, rage, and even simple joy. To this end, why would violence and suicide be an unfit subject? Shakespeare certainly didn't flinch from including them in his works....

Of course, there is always a combination of personal opinion and objectivity inherent in an aesthetic experience, and I'm sure we've all seen (or written) the reviews are variations of "this rocks! the album kicks butt! u're stupid if u dont like it", or even the more articulate "i never liked stuff about space" or "i just don't get zappa's humor" etc. etc. Personally, I am guilty on more than one occasion of rating a band less highly because I think they overdo the dramatic aspect- this has been a constant cause of concern in the often theatrical progressive genre, and one that several people have 'called me on'. To that end, I have tried to be more objective when I encounter something that I am usually predjudiced against, and I think Peter has done the same, to an extent. However, the ratio of objectivity to pure personal opinion in both the DT and MARILLION reviews definitely puts it in the 'op-ed' category rather than the music review section.

There's a big difference, of course, between promoting behavior and artistically portraying behavior. Hip-hop has always come under fire for the violence and misogyny. Without a direct statistical correlation between cause and effect (which either side of a debate will be always be happy to provide you with) one must keep in mind that limiting the 'acceptable' themes of art is essentially leading towards censorship.

The internet is full of message boards which provide an adequate venue to vent; this forum is a better example than most, with an impressive number of articulate people with varied, reasoned opinions. It's too much to ask that the "this band sux/ this band rulez" type postings stop- it's a necessary evil given the open nature of the website- but for the more dedicated, perhaps there should be a discussion about what constitues a valid review and what is just personal agenda?

Just to make a point: major works of progressive rock include "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway" (castration), "The Wall" (violent rage), "Lucky Man" (personal death), "Cross-eyed Mary" (child prostitution), et cetera. Anal themes are constantly used in Zappa's songs, and one of the finest bands I discovered here, Mezquita, has an incredible song called "El Suicidio"- there's little doubt what that deals with.

I would like to hear the other reviewers' thoughts on this- as long as it doesn't devolve into a "suicide is bad because..." type of discussion. I suppose there's little hope of coaxing Peter out of his self-imposed exile, but I'm sure the rest of us can generate an interesting (if not definitive) discussion.

James-Lee

P.S. Peter- I don't think I have to remind you that the satanic, violent and/or gothic imagery you cite as parts of the metal/ horror genre you have outgrown are more related to the 'escapist' urge of fantasy and science fiction than they are to actual beliefs or the daily violence portrayed in the news.

Edited by James Lee
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2004 at 21:45

I don't have any problem at all with Peter Rideout's review from a didactic point of view - he's worded the review carefully.

However - and this is a different point to the one you raise - I disagree with the approach to rating the album as explained in the final paragraph of the review: Peter clearly does not like the album musically or otherwise, would rate it as a 2-star album but has bumped up the rating to 3 stars in deference to "metal/Dream Theater fans" who he thinks would rate it as a 4-star album. Peter's altruism is laudable but, in my opinion, the rating should reflect the reviewer's opinion of the album, not what he/she thinks the fans of the artist/genre would think of it.

I have yet to review an album that I seriously dislike - it must be a thankless task. However, when I do, I will award the rating according to how I perceive the album, not how I think others may perceive it.

This is constructive criticism - in no way do I wish to denigrate. I think Peter Rideout has bent over backwards to square the circle, but I would prefer it if the reviewer gives his rating. Surely that's the point of the review?

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 21 2004 at 23:48

I guess there's some grey area between an objective appraisal and a personal listening experience- that's funny, I didn't even question that part of it, I do the same thing sometimes- I'll bump up the rating if I know that something has been influential or generates a big response.

Hmmm...what are the ingredients for an ideal review?

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2004 at 00:11

James, you have a very valid point of view that is also very well articulated.

Don't think that I had no misgivings or second thoughts when I wrote that review, and don't think that I don't have music in my collection that deals with murder and other repugnant subjects. (My beloved traditional/Celtic collection, in particular, is rife with songs -- usually dealing with historical events -- that have murder and war, etc, as their subjects!)

In deference to your reasoned position, and to hopefully clear up any misunderstandings and/or forestall any nasty arguments, I have not only herein broken my "vow of silence," but have also edited the last paragraph of my Dream Theater review, to underline the fact that I am merely giving my personal opinion as to the type of art that I do or do not find pleasurable.

I hope that the updated version makes this clearer, and meets with your approval.

Fitzcarraldo, you also have a good point, but with my dual (triple?) rating, I was merely trying to establish that while I may not care for the album, I believe that metal and DT fans will. I was trying to be objective, and not simply condemn a music form that I have little appreciation of, and little familiarity with. I don't plan to review many prog-metal albums -- I'll leave that to the genre's more-knowledgeable fans! Ying Yang (Edit: I have since given a clearer, non wishy-washy two-star rating!) 

Thank you both for the interest and intelligent, constructive criticism!Smile

Sincerely,

Peter Rideout

PS: Both of you write great reviews -- keep up the good work!Clap

Back to my monastic exile! Wink

Edited by Peter Rideout
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2004 at 00:24
Peter, thanks for the kind words- you don't need MY approval, of all things :)
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2004 at 00:27

Guys:

James hits what I believe to be the main point when he infers (correctly or not) a difference between "review" and "op-ed."  Yet he answers his own query when he speaks of "a combination of personal opinion and objectivity inherent in an aesthetic experience."  I doubt that "an ideal review" exists, for this very reason.

That said, I think we need to remember that this is a "friendly" web site, not a major publication.  Thus, if reviewers throw in "editorial comments" that may have little to do with a "proper" (whatever that means) review, that's OK; no harm done.  Indeed, it helps to inform visitors and new members why a particular reviewer may "see things" (or rather, hear things...) a different way - one that may "bias" him/her.  In this regard, I would say that it's better to get the bias "out on the table" than not know about it, or try to hide it.

Thus, as Fitzcarraldo so eloquently puts it, I "don't have any problem at all with Peter Rideout's review from a didactic point of view."  Peter is free to mix editorial comments with "straight review" if he feels it is informative to others that he do so.

I do, however, agree with Fitzcarraldo that Peter's decision to award an extra star because he thinks "the fans" would expect it is "improper," if not dishonest.  Even where my reviews and my star ratings may seem to be somewhat at odds with each other, I always try to give each album the star rating that it actually deserves - even if that means giving a relatively "bad" rating to an album by a band I love.

Ultimately, we do hope that reviews will be honest, cogent, thoughtful, clear, explanatory and well-written.  And we do hope that editorializing will be kept to a minimum (unless it clearly serves the review).  However, I would rather read a dozen well-written, cogent, thoughtful, etc. reviews that contain unnecessary editorializing, than a single review that is unclear, unhelpful, uninformative, and badly written.

Peace.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2004 at 15:50

I have to agree with what has been said in this thread to date. Peter is absolutely right in that the pleasure derived from an album by an individual can be influenced by the subject matter. I find for example that if there is a lot of overt swearing on an album I find it somewhat distracting, to the extent that it can spoil my enjoyment. I find the "parental warning" stickers on albums useful as they tell me to avoid them. LOL 

My son however seems to see them as a recomendation.Wink

It's interesting to note the criticism in some of the reviews (and indeed the forum) of Neal Morse' "Testimony" album because he chose his religious "awakening" as the subject matter. This seemed to matter more to some people that the quality of the music. In my review, i suggested that people should put their preconceptions aside, and enjoy the music.

Did I just contradict myself there?Wacko

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2004 at 17:24

He he- it's a tricky area, isn't it? On one hand I want to believe that good music can overcome predjudices, but the cynic in me knows that people can get themselves to enjoy something that they only 'agree with'. And vice versa; we've probably all had situations where we secretly wanted to like something but it was so obviously contrary to our stance that our enjoyment was at least clouded. Pop music gives me plenty of good examples- I hate myself when I realize I'm responding to something in a popular hip-hop or country song, especially...

The religious aspect is another area full of landmines; all I will say is that I am often turned off by an obvious religious influence, and that I have to fight that predjudice. Bluegrass and gospel are incredible musical forms that I enjoy, but also constantly force myself not to get irritated by the religious aspect- yet I have little trouble with classical pieces that are religious in nature...hmmm...

There's a particular modern prog band that I'm afraid fell a bit in my esteem when I realized their lyrics were based around their Christian beliefs.

And certainly if I understoood some of the political content of the Italian prog albums I might enjoy them less (or more, who knows?).

That's why some of my favorite works are instrumental, and one of the reasons why my favorite band is the Cocteau Twins- for most of their career, the singer created abstract lyrics out of a personal language, making her voice into purely an instrument rather than a tool of communication.

For a review of the music, though, I'd probably advocate keeping such things absent, or very low-key; I'm sure if I read a review with religious or political overtones I'd have much less chance to get something worthwhile out of it.

Umm, I'm going to resort to a Rush quote here before anybody beats me to it: "with the heart and mind united in a single, perfect sphere."

Anybody here a better student of Marshall McLuhan than I? I'm sure he had some pertinent things to say about this topic.

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2004 at 21:33

James:

I want to comment on one of your statements.  You said, "I'm sure if I read a review with religious or political overtones I'd have much less chance to get something worthwhile out of it."

You are, of course, entitled to your personal "filters."  However, your statement is interesting in that the opposite can also be true: that some visitors/members may in fact get more out of a review that contains such "overtones."  (I go back to my oft-used quotation: "one man's meat is another man's poison".)  Additionally, while those "overtones" may well steer you away from an album, those same "overtones" might make another person want even more to hear it.

This is why it is well-nigh impossible to have any logical "resolution" to your original concern.

Ultimately, it is up to the individual reader to take from a review what they will.  If they feel that the reviewer is unnecessarily "editorial," so be it.  As noted, someone else will find such "editorializing" helpful.

Peace.

Edited by maani
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 22 2004 at 23:39
That's exactly the point I was making- that those kind of 'filters' should be recognized and minimized. I only referred to my anti-religious bias as something potentially 'blinding' that I know about myself, and so take steps to keep it from influencing me when possible...kind of like anger management. Whether any of those kinds of influences are ultimately positive or negative, they probably shouldn't have damaging (or unduly helpful)- effects on your enjoyment of the music. Although I doubt anything but a radical behavior modification treatment would get either Peter or myself to enjoy Dream Theater :)
Fitzcarraldo View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2004 at 09:26

Firstly, I've read the revised review by Peter Rideout and think it is better than his first version. Informative, clearly argued and no 'sitting on the fence'.

Secondly, his revised review prompted me to listen to the album - I had never heard it before - and I will review it at some point as I find the subject interesting. This shows that a negative review can be just as useful and interesting as a positive review.

maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2004 at 10:55

James:

It is very interesting that this subject (of "filters" and their appropriateness or inappropriateness in reviewing) has been raised because I am currently writing a paper in which I argue that some of the most "maligned" films were not really bad, but rather were the victims of "reviewer bias" - especially by reviewers who allowed their "filters" to interfere with their reviewing.

In the case of my paper, I argue that the problem is not only that the "reviewer" became a "critic," and that s/he allowed his/her biases to "color" reviews, but that those biases, despite sometimes clearly being "in play," were essentially "hidden," often deliberately.

The difference here is that Peter was at least honest enough to tell us openly that his personal biases/filteres were "coloring" his review.

Perhaps you are correct that such biases/filters should not even enter the picture, and should be "controlled," as much as that is possible.  (I would argue that people are simply not always able to control those biases/filters; that's one of the things that makes us "human" - and honest.)  However, as noted, I would rather read a review in which the reviewer makes his/her biases/filters clear than to read a review that sounds to me like there are biases/filters at work, but the reviewer does not acknowledge them, or even tries (consciously) to hide them.

Peace.

arqwave View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2004 at 21:14

wow, what a great topic, and a tricky one... i believe that music is the only thing on earth that pleases everyone, and with those premisses, i think that his personal opinion about the WHOLE thing surrounding the review of dream theater is perfectly vaild... i've seen a similar topic beacuse of a very harsh review on a genesis album, and let me tell you: in here i have seen enough people to fill a stadium that hates Marillion, but, that doesn't stop me or newcommers to hear, listen and buy records of this band, is the same... the only thing that i like and respect is the very complete and researched review of the record, i think that we must review records that deep, with a conscious mind and with a serious commitment to pursue a valid voice in here that inspire us.

peace

between darkness and light
Cesar Inca View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 23 2004 at 21:33

HI, THIS IS CÉSAR INCA.

This is a very interesting topic, and I don't know what else there is to say! I guess it all comes down to making oneself clear to the reader which parts of one's review come from mere aesthetical appreciation, which from the coherence (or lack of it) bewteen lyrical concept and musical ideas, and which come from one's own moral/psychological preferences.

None of these aspects is "objective", but I think that the first two can be inter-subjective: I may understand and at the same time agree/disagree with what a reviewer says about the quality of musicanship, the power of compositions and arrangements, and in the case of concept-discs, the level of cleverness invested in the ekaboration of a repertoire that could match the narrative.

On the other hand, the third factor is much more subjective. Even if I agreed with our dear friend Peter's reservations concerning gloomy topics and suicidal issues (which I don't, it's just an example), it would only be a coincidence of two different hearts, each one in its own "world".

If we explain these three aspects clearly and keeping them unmixed, a review will achieve its double function: a) information; b) testimony of the reviewer's personal reaction.

I hope you find my points interesting. Regards.

P.D.: Oh... by the way, don't play 'Scenes...' on your CD player to impress a girl. It doesn't work, believe me... just don't ask me how I know...

P.D.2: I almost forget. Hi, Pete! Regards!

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 24 2004 at 01:51

Cesar- thanks for the tip. If you can find a girl who is turned on by prog, clone her...we need more!

maani- good points (your name and that phrase just go together in my mind now!)

If something is written that is the subject of a bias or belief system, it can be obvious (a lot of reviews contain the good old 'in my opinion') but as you point out, it can be more subtle. The news media is an excellent source of examples...word choice, context, subtext, all sorts of things can be utilized to put the 'slant' on what seems to be objective statements.

My journalism hero, Dr. Hunter S. Thompson, asserted that there was no objectivity and we shouldn't even aim for it...but I think we're trying to be helpful to others in our reviews, so I'll avoid veering off into hallucinatory anecdotes when discussing albums :)

How often do you think that biases are so ingrained and subconscious that a person is unaware that they are clouding the reason...or when do they stop being biases and start being 'instinct'?

Post Reply Post Reply