Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPost 70's Ange Recommendations

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post 70's Ange Recommendations
    Posted: June 02 2016 at 16:03
I love the 70's Ange albums and am wondering if anyone can recommend any of their post 70's albums?  I've been listening to 1992's Les Larmes du Dalai Lama nonstop the past couple of days and while I like it, it's overall sound and approach is very different to classic 70's Ange.  The production sounds much more cleaner and crisp and the guitarists approach is very updated.  

In many ways, it reminds me a lot of comparing say, A Passion Play to Crest of a Knave.  Cleaner production values and an updated Martin Barre approach with lots of squeals and whammy bar stuff.

Anyway, can any Ange fans recommend any of their post 70's stuff that retained that early Ange flavor?
Michael P. Dawson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2016 at 16:19
I haven't heard them all by any means, but I found Culinaire Lingus and ? pretty enjoyable (except for the overlong game of Exquisite Corpses on the former), and Christian Decamps's solo album Nu retains a lot of that Ange flavor. None of it sounds like the old creaky Mellotron & organ stuff, though!
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 13:58
Thanks Michael, just checked out a couple tracks of Nu on YT and I like it so far...will give Culinaire & ? a chance too.  Christian is one of those rare vocalists that I like just about anything he sings Wink
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2016 at 14:14
Moyen-Âge (2012) may be my favourite Ange album. Recommended!
Kotro View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2016 at 03:49
I agree with you that the higher production of more recent albums kind of takes away from their old, almost DIY-recorded in a barn-sound. But I think most of the composition remais good. 

Their first 80's album, Vu d'un Chien, is poorly rated but I don't find it that bad. I honestly can't remember listening to anything between that one and Culinaire Lingus. From this century I enjoy ? and Moyen Âge, but my favourite is Le Bois Travaille, Même Le Dimanche.  

There is also some good stuff without the Ange name. My favourite post-70's "Ange" album is actually Troisieme Étoile a Gauche, by Christian Décamps et Fils. Another good one for that early Ange feel is Gens de la Lune's self-titled album (this is Christian's mad brother Francis' band).  
Bigger on the inside.
 Post Reply Post Reply