Topic ClosedAnathema review

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Anathema review
    Posted: June 28 2004 at 14:26

In a recent review of "The silent enigma" by Anathema, I made some criticsims of the vocals, which I considered to be very poor.

A subsequent review of this album has been posted by Black Winter Day which reads:

Bob McBeath, I don't mean to offend, but what exactly are you doing reviewing an extreme metal album? You seem to have a lack of experience/familiarity with the genre and should probably keep away from such albums, especially by reviewing them and giving the wrong impression. "The Silent Enigma" is a highly melancholic, Romantic DOOM metal album. It has nothing to do with prog rock whatsoever. However, Anathema were excellent at playing that British doom style that they, along with bands like Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride, helped to create. The vocals are certainly not a "weak point" at all... they are actually fairly original, seeing as how Cavanagh would acutally growl "in tune" with the music. But if you can't handle extreme vocals, it might be a good idea to stay away from genres such as doom metal, black metal, death metal, etc. Otherwise, you will probably have a wrong (i.e. ignorant) impression of it.

This raises some interesting points, what are your thoughts?:

• Should reviewers "stay away" from albums or gendres they don't like or don't "understand"? (I would propose that any albums which appear on the site are fair game.)
  • Are reviews the place to comment on other peoples reviews? (I would suggest that as a matter of course this should be done in the forum)
  • Is it possible to have a "wrong (i.e.ignorant) impression" of an album or style?
Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 14:40

1) I think any album is fair game - and a reviewer's personal taste is bound to creep in. I think that a reviewer should try to put taste into as much of a back seat role as possible, if it is recognised that the music is of high quality despite the fact that you don't like it, or simply justify why you formed that opinion.

2) I agree that the forum is the place for discussion, but I think that reference to another reviewer's comments is OK if the context is justified, ie "Bob says that the vocals are very growly, but in my opinion this suits the music very well" - bad example, but hopefully the point comes across! A direct "attack", however, is unwelcome even in the forums, I would suggest.

3) While I don't believe it is possible to form an incorrect opinion - it's your opinion, so who is anyone to say it's wrong? - I do recognise that a cursory few listens to a form of music you are unfamiliar with can lead to opinions which are not firmly rooted and can thus become unfair.

If you're really not keen on any metal-based music, then is it fair to review a single album and declare it bad because you don't like the genre? I particularly dislike Country and Wetern music, and have only heard one or two pieces of music from the genre that I have even partially liked - so I would not review such music out of courtesy to those who do love and appreciate it. True that might throw the bias of the review into the favour of that genre - but who cares? I won't be buying it because I dislike that style, so why should I be the party-pooper?

However, the above review looks inappropriate to me - more like a direct attack on another reviewer's opinions than a review per se.

Edited by Certif1ed
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 16:46

I don't think I will bother "trying" to review something I don't care for. It's not fair to the band or those who like that style of music.

For example: I've listened to Dream Theater quite a few times over the course of the year and I just can't get into it. Doesn't mean it's bad, just not my cup of tea. I won't review it. Now, if I were a Prog-Metal fan and I didn't like a Dream Theater album, I'd have a basis to support my views. Comparing and contrasting with other bands of the genre. I would have knowledge of and can appreciate the subtleties and make an informed review.  

All albums on the site are "fair game" is true, but I can't see how I, personally, could evaluate something I'm not very knowledgable about. If I were to write an evaluation concerning an employee who I have never actually supervised, I would either be giving them a halo or downplaying their true capabilities. Either way, it's not fair. IMHO

James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 18:54

I'll play devil's advocate here- I think if a band is unquestionably part of a genre, as Dream Theater is to prog, it's pretty fair to compare them to other bands in the genre. Certainly Dream Theater is fair game to be reviewed on a metal site, where they will no doubt harp on the 'progressive' elements of the band. It may sound very strange to you if you have no experience with metal (as Canterbury or Fusion may sound if you have no jazz experience), but it's sometimes good to not have preconceived notions...maybe you'll be in a better position to point out elements that many other people have simply accepted and absorbed.

Not to mention that if i was a fan of a specific style, by definition I'd have a different range of tastes- if I was a bigger fan of prog-metal, for instance, I'd probably be a fan of Dream Theater...so a bit of perspective is a good thing, or you'd only have people who liked something talking about it. A better analogy would be to so-called 'world music'...sometimes we are intrigued or bothered by exotic sounds that are really quite common in different situations. A little time spent educating yourself in other musical styles- even ones you are accustomed to disliking- is always a positive thing, but it's not mandatory.

The forums are definitely better places to work out specific reviewers' contentions (I wish we did it more!), but if there is a specific idea that is commonly shared or represented, it is worth addressing. If everyone mentions how bad a certain song on an album is, and you happen to like it, putting that in a review is definitely warranted. If you hate the sound of someone's singing and everyone else seems to think the singer is a genius, it's also worth noting...

I don't think there's much point in reviewing albums that you dislike and are only 'relatively progressive' or 'progressive- influenced'. However, it's open season on anything that falls definitely in the genre...otherwise how are we reviewers going to keep people from wasting money on what we consider to be bad albums?

Edited by James Lee
Dan Bobrowski View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 19:13

My point is that if I don't have a BACKGROUND in prog metal, how can I give a fair and valid observation if I find the genre, on a whole, to be disinteresting to me. I do like some heavier music and even some fringe metal bands, but I couldn't, IMHO, rate a prog metal album fairly.

If I'm basing my vision of prog on Gentle Giant, Yes and Genesis, Dream Theater is not getting a fair chance at equal comparisons. The same would go for the softer side of prog compared by a reviewer with a prog-metal background. He's going to say "the music is boring", "it never gets going", "the singer put me to sleep." Will that actually help sell an album which very well may have many fine and intricate melodies that are being blown off as "coma-inducing?"

I think reviewers should have a varied background and base their educated opinion. Educated in the style or genre of music they are reviewing. If through listening to a style for many hours and really getting to know the genre, as well as the single album for review, I will then be able to make an educated opinion.

Marcelo View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 19:40

Anathema was originally a metal band who became a little bit progressive in the last albums. In opposition, many well known bands were progressive at their beginnings becoming pop bands at the end (Genesis is a clear example). So, if I want to review a pop Genesis' album (knowing the band), why not? The risk is to be a little bit unfair because the style isn't the favorite, but I think all reviews about any music style are interesting from a progressive point of view.

A review can be useful as an orientation to a potential buyer, and I think that most readers come to this site to know about progressive music. So, if a reader see reviews (it doesn't matter the band style) made by progressive fans, it can be more appropriated to decide. In another case, people would go to consult reviews in metal or pop sites.

Finally, I don't like words such "ignorant". "Try to hear the cd again" sounds much better and, IMO, there are not wrong but personal impressions, all they valuable.   

DoomHammer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 20:23

Inspite of the hostile attitude and inadequate words, Black winter Day has a point in something. The silent enigma is not prog so it will not be very much appreciated by pure prog listeners. But this is still your opinion Easy Livin and you are free to say whatever you like, and you dont have to prove it to anyone.

But to be honest i find it unfair to review a band you dont like. I myself dont like king crimson, but it would be unfair to their fans to review an album saying it is not good or something even if it is my opinion, as they are a very respectfull and artistic band. I can exclude pop and hip-hop and saying out loud to everyone i know that listen to them this music is useless and meaningless, and it is not my opinion, it is a FACT

BTW, prog listener can understand any kind of music, as prog is the most complicated and deep of all. There is no such thing called Ignorant Prog Listener, maybe of different prespective but not ignorant

when i sell my life story, maybe i should write it first and do the living later 'cause life is so much cleaner on the page
James Lee View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 22:01

We must maintain some critical honesty and express differences of opinion, or every review you read would be a four or five star review- how helpful would that be? I'd hate to think that someone would come away from this site thinking every prog fan likes every prog album...that would make us look indiscriminate, and I know that's not the case...

There's also a significant number of prog fans (whether you call them ignorant or something else) who seem less likely to have a meaningful opinion...just read some of the reviews! I personally suspect a reviewer who cannot form a complete sentence or go three words without a misspelling; I'll trade that for a negative but articulate review any day. I don't think there's any question that someone who writes "u'r stupid if u dont think this ablum KICKS ASS!!!!" is less helpful to readers than a one or two-star rating by maani, or Peter Rideout, or any number of others who have distinguished themselves in their reviews- even if the reader ends up disagreeing with their positions.

I think the disagreements make better conversation threads anyway :)

M@X View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Co-founder, Admin & Webmaster

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2004 at 22:50

Great Thread Guys !

I want to ask a question :

"May we add a line in the guidelines to not to talk about others reviews or reviewers in a review ? "

Personnaly I think it is not  appropriate in a review ... what do you think ? Comments to others reviews or the others reviewer should be done in the FORUM ...

Prog On !
maani View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Founding Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 00:46

All:

My two cents on the three points:

1.  Should reviewers "stay away from" albums or genres they don't like or don't understand?  Not necessarily.  As Easy Livin posits initially, all albums on the site are "fair game" for reviewers if they wish to review them.  That said, I would suggest that a reviewer can listen to an album by a band or in a genre they "don't like or don't understand" and, if they are honest with themselves about their "understanding," they can choose to review it - or not.  That is, there are any number of times that I have listened to an album by a band or in a genre I don't particularly like or understand, and have simply chosen not to review it.  By the same token, if I honestly believe I understand it (even if I don't like it), I feel perfectly comfortable reviewing it.  Of course, this goes without saying for albums that I find myself liking, and thus want to review.  But, ultimately, there is nothing wrong with listening to an album, but not reviewing it.

2.  Are reviews the place to comment on other people's reviews?  Even given Certif1ed's well-intentioned suggestion, as a rule the answer is "no."  And I would support Max's idea of strongly suggesting (though perhaps not making it a "hard and fast rule") that reviewers avoid commenting on others' reviews.  In the few cases in which I have done so, it is always in the "positive" mode; i.e., "I fully agree with Easy Livin's review, which I hope you will read," or some such thing.  I will avoid making such comments in the future.

After all, a review is about an album, not about another person's tastes or opinions.  Let's keep it that way...

3.  Is it possible to have a "wrong" impression of an album or style?  That's a much harder question to answer.  As Certif1ed notes, an opinion can never be "wrong"; it is simply "different" from someone else's.  That said, I suppose there are cases in which one could have a "wrong" impression of an album or style: but this would not make their opinion of that album or style "wrong."  Again, it is a matter of self-assessment and sense of "internal honesty": if a person feels that they simply "don't get it," they can always choose either not to review that album at all, or to note their (possible) "mis-impression" in the review.  Indeed, in some of my less positive reviews, I have begun with either "Am I missing something here?" or "Maybe I just don't 'get it.'"  And this is for genres and/or bands that I am quite familiar with.

Ultimately, I believe that all of us - and especially collaborators - have a special obligation to be thoughtful (consider the true meaning of that word...) and constantly self-assessing in what we choose to review, and how.  If we can do that, we will automatically "know" when we are up against a genre or album that we may want to either "leave alone" or give more time before we review.  In addition, the more thought and self-assessment we do, the better our reviews will be overall.

Peace.

Certif1ed View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 03:44

Just to clarify a point I made a little; I don't think it is unfair to review a particular album that we don't like, as we may have strong reasons for not liking it.

While I said that I would not review music within an entire genre that I disliked, I would certainly give a good kicking to an album within a genre I did like if I considered it to be bad enough to warrant it.

Sometimes an album or piece of music just annoys me, so I sit down and torture myself with the music - listen to it over and over again to work out why I should dislike it so much, when I like most other music within the same genre. Sometimes this practice can bring you round to the artist's way of thinking, and the work might actually grow on you.

I did lay down some smack on Galahad's album "Following Ghosts", for which I apologise to Galahad fans - but I made it as objective as I could, despite using the words "Truly horrible". Sometimes music can affect you that way - and it's a valid argument to say "I think it sucks because [insert well thought-out objections here]". However, it's an equally valid argument to say that if it affects you so strongly, it must be good art. Sometimes people might go for the very things a reviewer finds objectionable!

I remember buying AC/DC's "Highway to Hell", because I read a review that gave it 1/10, describing it as "Chain saws meet road drills in the middle of a blood-curdling scream. Noise, noise and more noise - do not buy.". I simply thought "That sounds great!", bought it, and it's been one of my favourite albums of all time ever since - so even a 0 star review, if well thought out, can help an artist or introduce someone to music they might never have heard otherwise.

Foxy View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 08:53

Come on, guys, it is a prog rock site, not metal or whatever else. I think that reviews from " prog rock" point of view are ok and should be welcomed. So if a reviewer thinks that Anathema is far from prog rock, s/he can give a bad review. I mean, that I for example, am not a huge metal fan but after reading some reviews I get interested in some of these bands. Unfortunately, it turned out that people who have "experience/familiarity with the genre" give wrong impression for people like me. Summing up, the more people with different tastes reveiw a particular album the more objective impression you can make of this.

I think that you can refer to previous reviews but not comment on them. I have Forum for that.

Easy Livin View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 15:49

Thanks guys, personally I find it useful to have a cross section of reviews of each album as far as possible, even the ones I rate as "masterpieces". I think as long as reviews are articulate, honest and well reasoned, they are all valid. As James says, if we only reviewed albums (or even sub-genres) we liked, the site would become dull and sycophantic (today's word is sycophantic!Clap). There should however be no place of course for hatchet jobs which just say "this is crap".

I like Max's proposal about adding the guideline, perhaps this should implicitly mention that forum should be used to discuss reviews which have been posted. This would have the positive side effect of promoting the forum as the place for such discussion! Personally, I try to avoid reading other reviews of an album until after I have written mine. Not always possible, as I do like to read the new reviews page.

goose View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2004 at 16:52
As long as people aren't delibarately going out of their way to find albums they don't like and reviewing them poorly, surely it's fair enough to review a CD in a style you aren't familiar with. After all, someone looking for a new band could look on the Anathema page, find no reference to the vocals, and then waste their money on a CD that they don't like due to the vocals... When I'm judging if a band's worth checking out I will always read the negative reviews first, provided they give good reasons why the reviewer doesn't like the album.
 Post Reply Post Reply