Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedEngland (Garden shed)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: England (Garden shed)
    Posted: October 24 2016 at 15:44
After about 2 listens ,I found myself in a grey area between yes and genesis,but I definitely  enjoyed this rare but great album  I would  give it 8 stars out of 10.notable tracks all alone ,three piece suite,although poisoned youth is no supper,s ready or close to the edge ,it sure nails an epic sidelong masterwork ,anyone else explored this bands music ,please share. thanks grant 

Edited by grantman - October 24 2016 at 15:45
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 16:07
It's a rare album everywhere but here  LOL .

Yeah great little project, love those one-off prog happenings .     

Here's the Imperial Hotel EP .
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?fr=yhs-mozilla-001&hsimp=yhs-001&hspart=mozilla&p=england+the+imperiAl+HOTEL+youtube#id=1&vid=8d3ae58cd6ba962605836dcc5c67b71e&action=click 

Haven't heard Last of the Jubblies

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2016 at 23:42
I scored a beautiful original press for around 20 bucks, many years ago. Love the Mellotron work of Webb. Haven't spun it for years, this may need to change.
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 01:36
It's beautifully done but I don't really dig it. I quickly overdose on the "Englishness", which feels a bit twee and like a clever pastiche of other bands that have gone before. Or maybe its idiosyncrasies just don't happen to gel with mine; in my head it's filed under "good stuff, but not my cuppa".

There was a deluxe CD reissue a couple of years ago that I think should still be available for those interested.

Edited by Mascodagama - October 25 2016 at 01:38
A_Flower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 06:01
Sometimes I love it, sometimes I hate it. I cannot stand the childish fourth track (What is it? Paraphernalia or something). But when the end of Three Piece Suite comes on, it brings tears to my eyes
User Banned for this Post
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2016 at 10:13
I don't like the vocals generally. It sounds like to me like he's actually failing to reach the correct notes. The instrumentation is fabulous, though. Very enjoyable. The arrangements are very Genesis-like or very Prog-like in general. The variety in the drum patterns and how they drove the arrangements was very fun to listen to. There was a part or two where they sounded a little too over the top like Yes.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
 Post Reply Post Reply