Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRoger Waters & middle East politics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 13:23
The Rise and Fall of Communism by Archie Brown -find it and read it
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 13:25
And then Anne Applebaum -Iron Curtain - find that and read it too. 
I never post anything anywhere without doing more than basic research, often in depth.
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 14:18
This has nothing to do with Roger Waters, who is someone I would not listen to about anything, but being critical of Israel's government does not make one anti-Jew, or particularly sympathetic towards the leaders in Palestine..
There are many Jews who are critical of the current government in Israel and how they handle things.
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 14:25
And there are many who are not critical of any Palestinian government that is in not any shape way or form democratic by nature and have only one answer: rockets. It has all to do with Waters, being  filthy rich poo disturber. We are talking about his poo. 
EddieRUKiddingVarese View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 15:30
Do you think Roger would get along with Bob Dylan......................
"Everyone is born with genius, but most people only keep it a few minutes"
and I need the knits, the double knits!
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 15:37
Originally posted by js (Easy Money) js (Easy Money) wrote:

This has nothing to do with Roger Waters, who is someone I would not listen to about anything, but being critical of Israel's government does not make one anti-Jew, or particularly sympathetic towards the leaders in Palestine..
There are many Jews who are critical of the current government in Israel and how they handle things.

The thread is,about Roger Waters, and, of course, being critical of Israel's government does not make one anti-Jew, and, yes, there are many citizens of the country who are critical of their government's stance. Rightly, I might add, in many instances.

However, I do genuinely believe that Waters' views, alongside many on the so-called left in British politics particularly, cross the line in their uncritical nature of Palestinian politicians and terrorists, and slamming of Israel. I suppose it is a question of balance, and that balance strikes me as being sadly lacking (I am not referring'to you here, just to clarify as best I can).
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
javajeff View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 16:13
Why can't he just sip his tea and participate in his own residence politics?  Shouldn't he be getting a new shuffleboard court?
lazland View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 16:14
Originally posted by javajeff javajeff wrote:

Why can't he just sip his tea and participate in his own residence politics? 

The Fletcher Memorial Home for incurable tyrants....and kings?

Shouldn't he be getting a new shuffleboard court?

What one of them?
Enhance your life. Get down to www.lazland.org
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 16:18
What bothers me most is that influential and wealthy people like Waters (and Juncker, Cohn-Bendit , Brusselistan and the leftist internationalists who still fantasize of a social paradise where everyone is equal in name only but led by true visionaries LOLConfusedDead ) still has a captive audience. He is a rocker, a once brilliant progger who understood the GDR and its VOPO/STASI universe and yet acts like an imbecile who has no historical knowledge of anything outside oh his Wall.

I have seen rock concerts and various other cultural shows in Israel. Absolute illegal and anathema in the Arab world except in Dubai (I wonder why!?). Fascinated by history, I traveled to Jerusalem as one who had studied two sides of Christianity, then spent a married spell in Judaism and recently divorced, more Buddhist in philosophy. Err… I got it, rights and laws, wars and tragedies, the human condition yadayada.

Humans leading humans. Let me laugh….Any historian, pro or amateur like me, will tell you that the past mostly reveals the worst facet of the human condition, with occasional periods of beauty. Mostly borne out of hope. Hope that one day, we all get along. But as long as crooked and primitive leaders run governments, there will be no democracy in the Arab world. 

Here! Name me ONE Arab or even Muslim country that is democratic, aka ‘Fair Elections’?! 

Please? Just one.

Hamas, Hezbollah, Isis, Al Qaida, Pakistan,Turkey (LOL), Saudi Arabia (bigger LOL). Righto, NONE!   

Today’s screwed up universe is a thousand times more vulnerable, because history today is TODAY. Only offer your hand of friendship to one who reciprocates, hand extended. 

I feel sorry for the Israelis but sorrier for my Arab friends who are still screwed royally over by their OWN people and governments. 

The Arab SPRUNG! Embarrassed

Edited by tszirmay - October 31 2016 at 16:20
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 18:58
^ I wouldn't call Waters "influential" in any substantial way.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 20:18
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ I wouldn't call Waters "influential" in any substantial way.

He is known certainly more than any other artist on this site! Anyone into rock music also knows who he is/was. He certainly does not influence me, I am not Pink enough (LOLCry) . 

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 20:30
^ Maybe (and that's a big maybe), but he's still just little old Roger Waters.  He's a has-been rock musician: no one cares what he thinks about anything.  I don't think they ever did.  It's not like he was Lennon or Dylan.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 20:38
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ Maybe (and that's a big maybe), but he's still just little old Roger Waters.  He's a has-been rock musician: no one cares what he thinks about anything.  I don't think they ever did.  It's not like he was Lennon or Dylan.

Wot! No Nobel prize? could his small ego handle that spurn?Embarrassed 

A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 21:19
Originally posted by tszirmay tszirmay wrote:

The Rise and Fall of Communism by Archie Brown -find it and read it

And then Anne Applebaum -Iron Curtain - find that and read it too. 

I am not personally particularly interested in the USSR, as I don't uphold it or look to it as an example of anything other than capitalist development after a working class revolution (well, somewhat since the peasantry also played an important role). May '68 is more interesting to me, if you want a historic movement to refer to.
A Person View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 21:36

What bothers me most is that influential and wealthy people like Waters (and Juncker, Cohn-Bendit , Brusselistan and the leftist internationalists who still fantasize of a social paradise where everyone is equal in name only but led by true visionaries LOLConfusedDead ) still has a captive audience. He is a rocker, a once brilliant progger who understood the GDR and its VOPO/STASI universe and yet acts like an imbecile who has no historical knowledge of anything outside oh his Wall.

I have seen rock concerts and various other cultural shows in Israel. Absolute illegal and anathema in the Arab world except in Dubai (I wonder why!?). Fascinated by history, I traveled to Jerusalem as one who had studied two sides of Christianity, then spent a married spell in Judaism and recently divorced, more Buddhist in philosophy. Err… I got it, rights and laws, wars and tragedies, the human condition yadayada.

Humans leading humans. Let me laugh….Any historian, pro or amateur like me, will tell you that the past mostly reveals the worst facet of the human condition, with occasional periods of beauty. Mostly borne out of hope. Hope that one day, we all get along. But as long as crooked and primitive leaders run governments, there will be no democracy in the Arab world. 

Here! Name me ONE Arab or even Muslim country that is democratic, aka ‘Fair Elections’?! 

Please? Just one.

Hamas, Hezbollah, Isis, Al Qaida, Pakistan,Turkey (LOL), Saudi Arabia (bigger LOL). Righto, NONE!   

Today’s screwed up universe is a thousand times more vulnerable, because history today is TODAY. Only offer your hand of friendship to one who reciprocates, hand extended. 

I feel sorry for the Israelis but sorrier for my Arab friends who are still screwed royally over by their OWN people and governments. 

So, just so I understand you, you are saying it is totally ok to take land from Palestinian citizens, defend it with force, and create apartheid-like conditions because "Arab countries don't have democracy"?

tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 22:07
Well I will PM you with some info as this is out of the thread's context. 
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 22:14
Apartheid conditions? The nearly 2 million Arabs living in Israel proper (pre 1967) do not live in apartheid. I stated for a fact that I personally saw Arabs and Jews mingling everywhere, every day, in cities and in rural areas. They have ARAB members in the Knesset, for Gods sake! Have you ever been? or do you rely on Internet knowledge? We have a member here from Israel, Sagi is very well respected, ask him. He lives there after all. 

The Palestinians in Gaza do not want ANY kind of peace with Israel. Don't believe me? Ask them, by email.....
tszirmay View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 31 2016 at 22:15
Waters used the apartheid word may times, so he is current on this thread! 
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 01:38
The only reason the West is interested in the Middle East is Oil, and the only reason the West is interested in the Eastern Mediterranean Middle East is Religion. Remove those from the equation then it's just a whole pile of Sand and Poor Human Rights. We shouldn't defend any of it.

What?
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2016 at 02:58
Originally posted by A Person A Person wrote:

What bothers me most is that influential and wealthy
people like Waters (and Juncker, Cohn-Bendit , Brusselistan and the
leftist internationalists who still fantasize of a social paradise where
everyone is equal in name only but led by true visionaries LOLConfusedDead
) still has a captive audience. He is a rocker, a once brilliant
progger who understood the GDR and its VOPO/STASI universe and yet acts
like an imbecile who has no historical knowledge of anything outside oh
his Wall.

I have seen rock concerts and various other cultural shows in
Israel. Absolute illegal and anathema in the Arab world except in Dubai (I wonder why!?).
Fascinated by history, I traveled to Jerusalem as one who had studied two
sides of Christianity, then spent a married spell in Judaism and recently
divorced, more Buddhist in philosophy. Err… I got it, rights and laws, wars and
tragedies, the human condition yadayada.

Humans leading humans. Let me laugh….Any historian, pro or
amateur like me, will tell you that the past mostly reveals the worst facet of
the human condition, with occasional periods of beauty. Mostly borne out of
hope. Hope that one day, we all get along. But as long as crooked and primitive
leaders run governments, there will be no democracy in the Arab world. 

Here!
Name me ONE Arab or even Muslim country that is democratic, aka ‘Fair
Elections’?! 

Please? Just one.

Today’s screwed up universe is a thousand times more
vulnerable, because history today is TODAY. Only offer your hand
of friendship to one who reciprocates, hand extended. 

I
feel sorry for the Israelis but sorrier for my Arab friends who are
still screwed royally over by their OWN people and governments. 

So,
just so I understand you, you are saying it is totally ok to take land
from Palestinian citizens, defend it with force, and create
apartheid-like conditions because "Arab countries don't have democracy"?

The whole "taking their land" argument which is debatable (I mean no one can really claim ownership on a piece of land, it's not like there are actual boundaries there, 60 or 70 years ago there were Jewish and Arab settlements living one next to the other) is a "new" excuse. Prior to 67 there was no claim for land by the Palestinians, so were there no attacks on Israeli settlements? You bet there were, and on a regular basis too. Those attacks happened on what basis? The basis was my father told me to hate you and kill you, simple as that!
A day after the Declaration of Independence Arabs from within and outside launched an immediate attack on Israel known as the war of independence, why did they do that? Did we take any of their land? understand that the basis of the Arab fate/upbringing is to hate the Jews, I may sound like a right wing extremist but this is coming from a guy who's against pretty much everything Netanyahu is doing, but at least I know what's going on here.
There were many Israeli leaders who honestly tried to make peace, the problem is that the Arab world does not want it, they prefer to sacrifice the whole Palestinian people to be prisoners in Gaza while they live their normal life. Give them hell and keep the fight! I'll send you as much money as you like (but for missiles not medicine or food God forbid)

My opinion on building in the settlements is that it should cease just to show that we can make the first step (something that already happened many times before but nothing came out of it). Hell you can make peace tomorrow if you really wanted it, the Arab leadership can settle for starters and then work their way up, show your people what can be achieved by agreements, this nation can thrive if their leaders only wanted it. But to justify it by terror acts?

I really love Rabin's saying, Make peace like there is no terror and fight terror like there is no peace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>