Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - 'I'll be gentle, I'll be gentle' Some gentle Comus
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

'I'll be gentle, I'll be gentle' Some gentle Comus

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Which of these five do you like the most?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
4 [36.36%]
1 [9.09%]
5 [45.45%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [9.09%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'I'll be gentle, I'll be gentle' Some gentle Comus
    Posted: December 12 2016 at 13:15
Yet another Comus poll. Which of these rather gentle, pastoral Comus tracks do you like the most?

"The Herald" off First Utterance

"Children of the Universe" off To Keep From Crying

"Winter is a Coloured Bird" off Song to Comus

"All the Colours of Darkness" off Song to Comus

"The Return" off Out of the Coma

{note: those Song to Comus tracks not necessarily limited to that release as "Winter is a Coloured Bird" appears as a bonus track on some First Utterance releases and the Diana EP from 1971}

Was tempted to include the rockier and energetic track "To Keep from Crying", one of my favourites off that album (it's an album I like much more than most), but it doesn't fit the poll. And I thought about including "Touch Down" off the album To Keep from Crying, which I think fits reasonably well, but I don't like it quite enough to want to include it. I was also tempted to include "In the Lost Queen's Eyes" off Song to Comus, but thought it too energetic. Anyway, I like keeping a poll short for those that want to check out all of the tracks. I expect that "The Herald" will easily take this, but results aren't that important to me.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 13:26
Hah... must be the first time I've ever seen Winter Is A Coloured Bird featured in a poll. Just so happens to be one of my favourite Comus songs. I prefer it to The Herald these days, which is saying a lot actually.
Always felt like that song perfectly illustrates an almost black and purple sky - you know the kind that materialises just before the sun rises.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2016 at 13:38
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hah... must be the first time I've ever seen Winter Is A Coloured Bird featured in a poll. Just so happens to be one of my favourite Comus songs. I prefer it to The Herald these days, which is saying a lot actually.
Always felt like that song perfectly illustrates an almost black and purple sky - you know the kind that materialises just before the sun rises.

I like your coloured imagery. Its not the first time I've included it in a poll as I love it. I voted for it before, and I'm also voting for it now. I absolutely adore Winter is a Coloured Bird.
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 13:34
I'll also go with Winter Is A Coloured Bird just over All The colors Of Darkness  
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 13:36
Omg, I actually can't decide. What a fantastic band!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
doompaul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote doompaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 13 2016 at 15:19
I just love comus. So very much their own bag.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote someone_else Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 02:51
I have not heard some of these before. All are good, but Winter is a Coloured Bird may very well be my overall favourite Comus song. It has some of the unique acid folk sound of First Utterance, but the loathsome elements seem to be absent here.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 10:02
Pfff. Tough. They are all beautiful, beautiful songs. But my choice, of course, is obvious. 

Afficher limage dorigine
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 14:14
Darn, just lost a long post responding to the various posts tat I hadnot responded to yet, but that does not sully my mood as that coloured duck dressed for winter still warms the cockles of my heart. Love it, Pierre!

I am pleased to see "Winter is a Coloured Bird" doing so well. When I put it it up against "All The Colours of Darkness" they got equal votes. Robert put it really well with "It has some of the unique acid folk sound of First Utterance, but the loathsome elements seem to be absent here."
Although the Bird is also my choice, I really like all of these. Much as I really like it, though, The Return has one flaw to my ears, and that is the saxophone. Great playing and sounds nice, but that instrument doesn't fit quite right to my ears. I would have preferred recorder, bassoon, maybe oboe, or flute for it. I mean I know they already have various of those instruments... Or cello, although that might not provide enough contrast. Okay, I know they wanted more contrast. It gives it a modern feel that takes away some of the mystique for me (so does the more whispered part). Beautiful song anyway.
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 15 2016 at 23:36
I'd like to buy First Utterance on vinyl (Lp+ Ep). Anyone knows how sound the Get Back edition GT 541 from Italy ?
 Post Reply Post Reply