Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedselling England by pound

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: selling England by pound
    Posted: December 21 2016 at 15:56
This being the 5 th genesis release the arrangements are more rounded out ,the lyrics more detailed, the theme is of course England or a remembrance of what was England is or was, from the bands point of view.The opening track dancing with the moonlight knight ,i know what like (in your wardrobe)  simply breathtaking, even the phil song more fool me is above par,  all things considered this is one great album sorry but although frith of firth  is an excellent song.Being a guitar nut like myself cinema show and after the ordeal holds up to any standard guitar work of today,s progressive rock bands .Clap

Edited by grantman - December 22 2016 at 13:03
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 04:17
^A review or an appreciation thread? If it's the latter, then all I can say is that I feel it's the best Gabriel era Genesis album. I actually haven't listened to it in years, but I know most of it by heart. Glad to see others still enjoying this prog classic.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 05:56
Shouldn't this be posted as a review?
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 07:09
A good album. The best produced and performed of the Gabriel era, but I still prefer the Lamb and Foxtrot.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 08:41
Genesis Selling England By The Pound album cover
If this is a review we need a pic.....;)
Perhaps my favorite Genesis lp (though Fox and Cryme are also as good imho) but I would have left off the 'Phil' song and added a few more minutes to one of the others.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 09:37
Their best effort, a cohesive well produced album. It is hard to identify an album where all the songs are related and yet each can stand on its own. There is almost nothing negative that can be said of this record.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 11:32
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Their best effort, a cohesive well produced album. It is hard to identify an album where all the songs are related and yet each can stand on its own. There is almost nothing negative that can be said of this record.

Seriously...? So you actually like More Fool  Me...? Why?

Wink

Edited by dr wu23 - December 22 2016 at 11:32
Haquin
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 16:55
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Wink

Well, or why don't you like it?
Enchlore View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 17:15
I like More Fool Me. It's a cute song and pretty much harmless.

I never got into Battle of Epping Forest, though, despite trying hard. Maybe it needs a few more listens to grow on me. Despite that, the album as a whole is a truly delightful listen.
If you like King Crimson, come over to the KC Discord server! https://discord.gg/6AYBxBD
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 19:26

Wink

Ha! It's a good question....I am a fan of Collin's singing, I think early on it really showcases him as a lead singer. Maybe he knew what was going to happen in the group. The song itself is very pleasing, acoustic set with the 12-string (Rutherford I assume). Phil's vocals are very upfront, which I like......I picture them recording this song after everyone else has left the studio.

Being that it is the last song on Side I, I actually use it to test my turntable and cartridge setup for inner groove distortion, there is a lot of sibilance in the song with all the sharp Ssss from Phil, the sounds should be very natural and not have any shrill to them. That's when I know my setup is perfect! 

I like the song Clap
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 19:49
Regarding More Fool Me......I can't say I dislike it but imho the lyrics are banal , the melody is nothing special and the vocals are just mediocre. There's nothing about the song that warrants inclusion on an album imho....well, maybe a Collins solo album. I find it remarkable that Genesis couldn't come up with a more interesting track to fill those 3minutes and 10 seconds.
I hope that doesn't sound too harsh...but there it is.

Stern Smile

Haquin
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 19:58
Dancing 9/10
I Know 5/10
Firth 9/10
Fool 1/10
Battle 3/10
Ordeal 7/10
Cinema 8/10
Aisle 5/10

Pros: best sounding album up to that point
Cons: More Fool Me and Epping Forest

Magma America Great Make Again
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 20:45

Regarding More Fool Me......I can't say I dislike it but imho the lyrics are banal , the melody is nothing special and the vocals are just mediocre. There's nothing about the song that warrants inclusion on an album imho....well, maybe a Collins solo album. I find it remarkable that Genesis couldn't come up with a more interesting track to fill those 3minutes and 10 seconds.

Stern Smile

Nope....That's why I like it. It's simple, nothing about England, the Queen, a lawn mower or that English ribs of beef are cut down to 47p per LB. 

It's just a song by Collins and Rutherford.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 21:25
Originally posted by Enchlore Enchlore wrote:

I like More Fool Me. It's a cute song and pretty much harmless.

I never got into Battle of Epping Forest, though, despite trying hard. Maybe it needs a few more listens to grow on me. Despite that, the album as a whole is a truly delightful listen.

This is very much what I always say about this album. Though I wouldn't go as far as saying I like "More Fool Me", but it's indeed harmless enough, and I don't really dislike it either. And as far as Epping Forest goes, I'm sure that no matter how many times I may listen to it, I just won't get to like it.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 21:29

Wink

Ha! It's a good question....I am a fan of Collin's singing, I think early on it really showcases him as a lead singer. Maybe he knew what was going to happen in the group. The song itself is very pleasing, acoustic set with the 12-string (Rutherford I assume). Phil's vocals are very upfront, which I like......I picture them recording this song after everyone else has left the studio.

Being that it is the last song on Side I, I actually use it to test my turntable and cartridge setup for inner groove distortion, there is a lot of sibilance in the song with all the sharp Ssss from Phil, the sounds should be very natural and not have any shrill to them. That's when I know my setup is perfect! 

I like the song Clap

I also like Phil's singing very much... I do like it much better than Gabriel's, but by this point I bet he had no idea he would end up being the lead singer of the band... nor perhaps that he would have a succesful career as a solo singer. As far as I understand, Genesis actually auditioned lot's of singers without succes... I believe it was Phil showing them what and how they should sing, and in the end they just said he should sing them himself.
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2016 at 21:39
It's alright. Not my favorite but I can recognize its quality.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 00:38
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Shouldn't this be posted as a review?
This was briefly discussed here, but the OP hasn't deleted it like I asked him/her to in a PM. It's too late now.

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 23 2016 at 00:39
Dayvenkirq View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 00:45

Stern Smile

Nope....That's why I like it. It's simple, nothing about England, the Queen, a lawn mower or that English ribs of beef are cut down to 47p per LB. 
LOL

Sorry, but every time I listen to that song, "banal" and "mediocre" don't quite compute in my head. As far as I'm concerned, there are tons of classic songs that can be described as such by some people. You can write something very simple and come out a winner because that which you've created sounds beautiful. 

And I wouldn't subscribe to calling "More Fool Me" saccharine either. (I just know someone who called it that.) My brain just does not recognize excessive sweetness, whatever that means. 

Edited by Dayvenkirq - December 23 2016 at 00:47
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 04:45

Stern Smile

It's just a song by Collins and Rutherford.
Not a favorite song of mine, but harmless enough. I used to lift the needle sometimes to get to side two a bit quicker sometimes. But now that you bring it up, MFM doesn't have that topic of "Englishness" that the other songs on the album possess.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Terrapin Station View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 23 2016 at 05:19

Stern Smile

Re lyrics, I have no idea about that--I haven't the faintest idea what the lyrics are for that tune, or, for that matter, for the vast majority of music I listen to.  I'm one of those people who normally couldn't care less what any lyrics are, and I usually pay very little attention to lyrics.  I'd never say that something has "bad lyrics."  Ultimately I see lyrics simply as phonemes to sing.  I do pay a lot of attention to vocals, but I'm listening to melody, timbre, phrasing, etc.  You can do that without cognizing the semantic content of lyrics, which is what I typically do.

Re the melody, I think it's rather nice.  I wouldn't say it's a favorite melody of mine or anything earth-shattering or anything like that, but I'd say it's as good as most of the vocal melodies on the album.  (I'd also say that Genesis wrote a lot of their best vocal melodies in the 80s . . . Of course, I'm a fan of solo Phil Collins, too, so . . . )

I also think that "More Fool Me" works perfectly as a bridge between "Firth of Fifth" and "The Battle of Epping Forest".

Edited by Terrapin Station - December 23 2016 at 05:30
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>