Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: ELP vs Greenslade
    Posted: March 03 2018 at 14:49
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by Terrapin Station Terrapin Station wrote:

the melodies and songs by Greenslade are more interesting.
Definitely not my opinion.

Heck, I wouldn't say there's a better melody anywhere than the melody of "Trilogy" for example.

Emerson had a natural knack for great melodies, but his thorough grounding in the music of composers like Copland, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky and Mussorgsky had an important influence on him, too.

You mean he had a great knack for stealing melodies from the classics......LOL...the same way that Zep did for the blues.

btw...the 'pop' songs that actually made them money and sold albums  were written by Lake.  Wink

ELP's "pop" songs made their money and sold their albums? Highly speculative, Captain.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 10:53
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

That qualifies as catalog allright....too bad most of it is crap. And I  like the first 4 albums....the debut being the most authentic imo.
;)

I mostly agree with you Wink

ELP was the very 1st prog band I got into back when I was 14.  I love the 1st 4 studio albums + Pix + Welcome Back (along with the other pre-Works live albums Cal Jam + Live at the Mar Y Sol Festival) and regularly spin them to this day.  I was bitterly disappointed when Works V1 & V2 came out (though of course still ecstatic I saw them on the Works tour in '77).  While Love Beach is usually mentioned with a snicker, I love Memoirs of an Officer and remember desperately hoping this would be a return to the ELP I loved before Works (and Keith's horrible compulsion with replacing his Hammond/Moog sound with that awful Yamaha GX-1) but it didn't really turn out that way, did it Ouch

I love about half of ELPowell, but consider Black Moon and Hot Seat to be throwaways and don't even own them.  I guess like a lot of those early big prog bands, they slipped and became somewhat of an  embarrassment to their legacy.  In ELP's case, I think it's more pronounced and appears they fell harder than others...but that's only because they started off setting such a high standard.  If you're a mediocre band and fall there's not much of a drop off to notice, but if you're at the top of the heap and fall...well...it's a long way down Wink 

Taking into account their entire recorded output you say, "most of it is crap"...fair enough, though I'd say, "half of it is amazing and half of it is extremely disappointing"...if ever a prog band should be diagnosed as bi-polar it would be ELP LOL 

I agree 100%...  Own all their albums,  but only play their first 5 albums including "Pictures"...  Though Works Vol 1 & 2 get seldom plays.  Smile

The rest is so so music to me.    

The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 10:26

That qualifies as catalog allright....too bad most of it is crap. And I  like the first 4 albums....the debut being the most authentic imo.
;)

I mostly agree with you Wink

ELP was the very 1st prog band I got into back when I was 14.  I love the 1st 4 studio albums + Pix + Welcome Back (along with the other pre-Works live albums Cal Jam + Live at the Mar Y Sol Festival) and regularly spin them to this day.  I was bitterly disappointed when Works V1 & V2 came out (though of course still ecstatic I saw them on the Works tour in '77).  While Love Beach is usually mentioned with a snicker, I love Memoirs of an Officer and remember desperately hoping this would be a return to the ELP I loved before Works (and Keith's horrible compulsion with replacing his Hammond/Moog sound with that awful Yamaha GX-1) but it didn't really turn out that way, did it Ouch

I love about half of ELPowell, but consider Black Moon and Hot Seat to be throwaways and don't even own them.  I guess like a lot of those early big prog bands, they slipped and became somewhat of an  embarrassment to their legacy.  In ELP's case, I think it's more pronounced and appears they fell harder than others...but that's only because they started off setting such a high standard.  If you're a mediocre band and fall there's not much of a drop off to notice, but if you're at the top of the heap and fall...well...it's a long way down Wink 

Taking into account their entire recorded output you say, "most of it is crap"...fair enough, though I'd say, "half of it is amazing and half of it is extremely disappointing"...if ever a prog band should be diagnosed as bi-polar it would be ELP LOL 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 08:07

;)

Edited by dr wu23 - March 03 2018 at 08:08
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 04:41
I can only name one Greenslade track and that was a cover of a Jack Bruce song (Theme For An Imaginary Western) and its only the second best cover version after Mountains version. Dave was and still is a great keyboard player but his moment was Valentyne Suite.

Edited by richardh - March 03 2018 at 04:42
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 19:24
I like ELP a lot. However, since I don't know Greenslade hardly at all I won't vote.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 19:08

Catalog?......4 decent albums and one live one called Pictures...? Are we back to ELP being the most overrated band in prog...?

;)

I'll take the bait LOL

I'm not going to argue the under/overrating of ELP because those terms are just silly ways of saying, "I hate a band that most love" or the opposite, but with 10 studio albums, 25 live albums, 12 DVD's and 21 compilation/boxsets (according to PA's discography) I'd consider that more than enough to classify as a "catalog" Wink
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 16:44
ELP by far
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 16:41
I love Greenslade but... EL&P wins !
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 16:14
Catalog?......4 decent albums and one live one called Pictures...? Are we back to ELP being the most overrated band in prog...?

;)
Haquin
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 14:53
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

I love the 1st 3 Greenslade albums, but as a band there's no way they can stand up to the legacy and catalog ELP gave us...very few but the biggest bands can Wink

I couldn't have said it any better.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 14:41
I love the 1st 3 Greenslade albums, but as a band there's no way they can stand up to the legacy and catalog ELP gave us...very few but the biggest bands can Wink
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 13:27
Greenslade did indeed have a wicked playful sense in their lyrics etc....due probably to Lawson who was also in Web....who have two 4 star rated lp's here at PA. And Greenslade and Reeves were both in Colosseum....a fine early prog jazz band. These were not hacks by any ones definition. 

ELP did have some fine early albums....mostly crap later on....and they became huge which never happened to Greenslade...but many fine bands ever made it big for numerous reasons. 

I still play the first 3 or 4 ELP as well as the first 3 or 4 Greenslade.....but I find myself enjoying the quirky music of Greenslade and Lawson more often than the 'pompous stuff' of ELP these days.
Haquin
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 02:30
Greenslade

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 12:38
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Greenslade are apparently severely underrated. I consider "Bedside Manners Are Extra" and "Spy Glass Guest" to be excellent albums. they often had a wicked sense of humor in their lyrics that I especially like

Two great albums indeed!

There was a distinct sound in Greenslade's sound, specially with Dave Greenslade keyboard skills.. A great sound all their own and classic.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 08:55
ELP. Greenslade failed to click with me until this day. Maybe I should give them another try.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 27 2017 at 08:34
I don't know Greenslade hardly at all so I won't vote. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2017 at 02:51
Greenslade are apparently severely underrated. I consider "Bedside Manners Are Extra" and "Spy Glass Guest" to be excellent albums. they often had a wicked sense of humor in their lyrics that I especially like

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
The Bearded Bard View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 16:37
Originally posted by Dopeydoc Dopeydoc wrote:

Greenslade has made just one excellent album, the first one
That's the only GS album I have, and tbh I can't remember anything from it (will have to dig it out and give it a spin again soon).

Anyway, an easy vote for ELP here for me.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2017 at 16:19
E, L & Palmer wins, but Greenslade deserves detached place in my collection
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>